ADVERTISEMENT

Schreiber > Schwarber

coolonetoo

Junior
May 12, 2003
Kyle Schwarber’s 2014 season has been the gold standard for Big Ten players. (At least until what Bren Spillane has done at Illinois this year. It’s absolutely sick.) Well, Scott Schreiber just bested that season of Schwarber’s.

2014 Schwarber (55 games): .356 BA, 62 R, 77 H, 14 2B, 13 HR, 44 RBI, 140 TB, .648 SLG%, .464 OB%, 41 BB

2018 Schreiber (52 games): .369 BA, 62 R, 79 H, 13 2B, 18 HR, 48 RBI, 148 TB, .692 SLG%, .446 OB%, 28 BB

Schwarber walked more. But Schreiber wins the rest. Will Scott be the fourth overall pick? I doubt it. But he would be the conference player of the year any other year. And since he plays the same position as Spillane, he might not even make all-Big Ten!

Reactions: sklarbodds
Kyle Schwarber’s 2014 season has been the gold standard for Big Ten players. (At least until what Bren Spillane has done at Illinois this year. It’s absolutely sick.) Well, Scott Schreiber just bested that season of Schwarber’s.

2014 Schwarber (55 games): .356 BA, 62 R, 77 H, 14 2B, 13 HR, 44 RBI, 140 TB, .648 SLG%, .464 OB%, 41 BB

2018 Schreiber (52 games): .369 BA, 62 R, 79 H, 13 2B, 18 HR, 48 RBI, 148 TB, .692 SLG%, .446 OB%, 28 BB

Schwarber walked more. But Schreiber wins the rest. Will Scott be the fourth overall pick? I doubt it. But he would be the conference player of the year any other year. And since he plays the same position as Spillane, he might not even make all-Big Ten!
They’ll give him an OF or DH spot. No way they keep him from All Big Ten.

I think you will see Schreiber, Wilkening, and Hohensee make 1st team (Hohensee could get jobbed but shouldn’t). Nobody else will even sniff an honorable mention. Although I could see Gunner making the all freshman team.

They’ll give him an OF or DH spot. No way they keep him from All Big Ten.

I think you will see Schreiber, Wilkening, and Hohensee make 1st team (Hohensee could get jobbed but shouldn’t). Nobody else will even sniff an honorable mention. Although I could see Gunner making the all freshman team.
Hohensee has a lot of competition at closer.

Hohensee has a lot of competition at closer.
May be true but he was 100% on save opportunities. Hard not to give it to a guy who didn’t blow a save all year. Nothing against the others but to me that is the deciding factor. If he was on Minnesota’s team he would have set the conference saves record in my opinion.

I am actually very curious where Scott ends up in the draft. The guy can hit a baseball for sure.

I remember seeing him not going out when he first arrived on campus and I thought man this kid can be special. I'm a little surprised it took until this year for him to realize that potential though. Not that he was terrible before, but I thought would get this power production every year.

Reactions: saluno22
I am actually very curious where Scott ends up in the draft. The guy can hit a baseball for sure.

I remember seeing him not going out when he first arrived on campus and I thought man this kid can be special. I'm a little surprised it took until this year for him to realize that potential though. Not that he was terrible before, but I thought would get this power production every year.
Anybody have thoughts on Wilkening? Had s great year hitting but I wonder how teams will look st him due to his arm/shoulder issue this year.

What seems to help him most has been plate discipline. He was very bad in an 0-2 count the last three years and this year he has made it a focus. Spent a lot of his own time in the weight room and the batting cages.

Reactions: saluno22
What seems to help him most has been plate discipline. He was very bad in an 0-2 count the last three years and this year he has made it a focus. Spent a lot of his own time in the weight room and the batting cages.
Throw in that in the middle of his career he had abdominal and back injuries, and put on 20-30 lbs of bad weight. He played in RF his junior year at 250. This year he was in the 220-230 range.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT