ADVERTISEMENT

Schools announcing plans to begin practice

There's a huge difference between disease and war. I'm guessing the majority of people who died from this disease would have died within a few years anyway if they had caught another disease. War is sending off millions of healthy young men to get maimed and killed.

Production also doesn't stop during a war, but is likely kicked into overdrive. Throughout history, people didn't put their lives on hold for all but the most vicious diseases. It's looking more and more by the day that this virus doesn't come close to the level of the Spanish flu, but our response is as if that it was.
I'm not sure you can say the majority of people would have died within a few years anyway.. for some reason, that just kind of rubs the wrong way. Every life is important right?

For sure, younger people would have a longer time to contribute than an older person, but should that make older people less valuable? Most young men in particular, have little value in society until they get older, say their 40s and then they become more of value to society as a whole.

I guess just passing this off as oh, it only kills old people who were going to die anyway, seems callous and irresponsible to me.

I totally get that the US puts individual freedoms before that of the group or society as a whole, but maybe that is why (good and bad) we are where we are. No body really gives a crap about anyone else.. since everyone is just a competitor in the way of what someone else wants.

What has changed for me is that it has become obvious that the mortality rate was inflated versus what we are seeing. It also appears that the number of people (morbidity rate) who even become ill from this virus was VASTLY inflated. When it's all said it done it appears IMO to be less of a risk for young people than the common influenza. Again that's my opinion supported by the facts as we know them today. So think about that for a minute. We don't vacate college campuses and stop activities for an influenza outbreak but we cancel classes and tell them to stay home for this?

IMO, we need to figure out how to best mitigate risk to profs and support staff and get traditional students back in school. There is no reason one couldn't hold classes with a large video screen with the prof sitting in his office. Put up a cubicle with a separate ventilation system in the front of large lecture halls. Hell I could build one in a day that would work. We need to think outside of the box but we should be able to resume college.

For me high, middle and elementary schools are more problematic just due the lower expectations for personal responsibility of the kids and the idea that they could quickly take the virus home. You could tell college kids, you're effectively quarantined on campus. No trips home unless you and your parents treat you as if you're infected. The risk to a 20 year old is so damned low that it's ridiculous.
The difference is that this is much more contagious and can be rapidly spread by people unknowingly with no apparent symptoms to other vulnerable people.

American losses in World War I were modest compared to those of other belligerents, with 116,516 deaths and approximately 320,000 sick and wounded of the 4.7 million men who served. The USA lost more personnel to disease (63,114) than to combat (53,402), largely due to the influenza epidemic of 1918

This is an interesting read about deaths in USA this year so far..https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/28/us/coronavirus-death-toll-total.html
Headline:
U.S. Coronavirus Death Toll Is Far Higher Than Reported, C.D.C. Data Suggests

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm not sure you can say the majority of people would have died within a few years anyway.. for some reason, that just kind of rubs the wrong way. Every life is important right?

For sure, younger people would have a longer time to contribute than an older person, but should that make older people less valuable? Most young men in particular, have little value in society until they get older, say their 40s and then they become more of value to society as a whole.

I guess just passing this off as oh, it only kills old people who were going to die anyway, seems callous and irresponsible to me.

I totally get that the US puts individual freedoms before that of the group or society as a whole, but maybe that is why (good and bad) we are where we are. No body really gives a crap about anyone else.. since everyone is just a competitor in the way of what someone else wants.
Old people eventually get sick and die. That's just a fact of life. Heck even some young people get sick and die. It sucks but that's just the way things are. That doesn't mean we should put life on hold for the vast majority of people who will suffer minimal or no consequences as a result of the virus.

Life involves risks. Thousands of young people die of Influenza every year and yet hardly any of them will get a flu shot. I guarantee you that my very bright college aged daughter is ready to head back to Boston and to hell with the one in several hundred thousand risk of death for a teenager or early 20 something. We read the news reports about young people dying from this but you NEVER EVER hear what their predisposing factors are. They're trying to scare the shit out of young people by blowing up the story of one kid with cystic fibrosis or some other disease process dying.. There's a whole bunch of partial truths being told out there. My wife cares for COVID-19 patients and her limited experience with it so far even with some patients in their 50s is that they've largely been doing okay. The problem is IF they have diabetes or heart disease etc.
You are correct. The media has picked out the rare 20-something to post news headlines about in order to manipulate young people into fear. There is very very little danger to anyone under 70, unless they have severe preexisting medical conditions. Everything about this has been blown way out of proportion. Sweden got it right. Limited social distancing for employees in office jobs, but otherwise carry on with life. At this point we have elected leaders doubling down to save face.

Communism is very real. It's not confined to the past or to other places. It's right here, right now, and it always will be. A Communist dream-society is everyone locked at home in public housing, living off of a government stipend....while the elites rule over them.

Reactions: bluenrg
We better not be waiting for a vaccine to play football. Good grief...I am closing in on 50. I might be retired before we get one of those. Am I missing something? This illness would possibly cause more than mild symptoms, maybe, for obese players. The chance of hospitalization is probably greater for heat exposure than this. Would be absurd, IMO, to delay the season until vaccine, perfected treatment, or the virus goes away. We will be having the same conversation, a year from now. The lockdown reaction (beyond helping the vulnerable protect themselves) is getting embarrassing, on a few levels.

I'm interested to see how all of this plays out. We can go round and round about COVID 19 and I know there are a few vocal posters on here that downplay it, but regardless of our personal opinion here in Nebraska where few of us have been effected by it and our state was not even shut down, I wonder what will happen nationally. How will the season shape up? Are we going to play all of our games? Fans, 1/4 of the fans, no fans? And if next week's opponent has a couple kids test positive, does the game get cancelled? Lots of questions and no answers.

Reactions: ZaneHickey
CDC's own estimates. Get ready for no on campus classes and no football this fall. Whether this can still be avoided is probably a no, but we really didn't try, did we.
Just because you wish it not to be true doesn't mean it isn't true.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see how all of this plays out. We can go round and round about COVID 19 and I know there are a few vocal posters on here that downplay it, but regardless of our personal opinion here in Nebraska where few of us have been effected by it and our state was not even shut down, I wonder what will happen nationally. How will the season shape up? Are we going to play all of our games? Fans, 1/4 of the fans, no fans? And if next week's opponent has a couple kids test positive, does the game get cancelled? Lots of questions and no answers.

Yeah, I think the thing that will slow down the return of college football is the college campus' opening up to all students, and fan attendance. I think most people would agree that there isn't that much virus danger for a bunch of 18-22 year old guys practicing for football or having organized workouts. I think it gets more complicated once they get ready for fall semester, when will campus reopen? Playing football without fans? That only helps the athletic department not the local Lincoln economy. You're right lots of questions and no certain answers.

Reactions: Dean Pope
CDC's own estimates. Get ready for no on campus classes and no football this fall. Whether this can still be avoided is probably a no, but we really didn't try, did we.
Just because you wish it not to be true doesn't mean it isn't true.
Another of their fine models? If those closures continue...what a relief to Iran and North Korea. Don't spend zillions on nuclear pursuits. Develop a respiratory virus. The soft underbelly of the US has been exposed. We'll fold like a cheap suit.

Last edited:
I don't think it was lie. The problem though is that the government has taken things too far and their willing accomplices in the media are trying to prolong it. I won't go in to why they're doing it but it isn't to save lives. We HAVE to get businesses up and running again or it won't matter who dies from this deal anymore. The result of continuing this debacle is disastrous. Our country is facing an enemy right now much bigger than COVID-19. At some point we have to step up and assume some risk to our lives if we want to preserve our country for our children.

As it is, I'll be very surprised if we don't lose tens of thousands of businesses and as a result have thousands of people commit suicide over financial ruin. Right now IF something doesn't change VERY quickly we are going to lose a large percentage of our livestock producers in the state of Nebraska. When they start going under, we're gong to lose some banks. When that starts happening hold on for dear life. IF we don't change the trajectory quickly of our economy this will be a disaster far worse than COVID-19. Right now, I would give up my life to try to save what's left of our way of life in this country for my kids and their kids. My father's generation made that same choice when they went off to fight the Germans and Japanese. Time for the BOOMERs to step up.
Well said.

Where the hell is Nebraska Realty or whatever the hell he goes by? How has he not already turned this thread into 3 pages? Dudes gonna go nuclear when he catches wind of this thread.
Living in your head, rent free, apparently.....

Actually, I think I live in Scarletred's head (as I see he replied to you); I merely have a vacation rental in yours.

I'm sure he'll have a curmudgeonly reply to this as well.

BTW--The thread is already 3 pages. It didn't need me.

He could be a Husker fan who just enjoys trolling anonymously. It doesn't matter to him. He's made you upset and gets off on it. He's not bothered that you insulted his manhood. He knows that what he says and how he says it gets the reaction that he's looking for. Kind of like fly who keeps landing on your nose no matter how many times you shoo it away. So, realizing that he's just there to troll, and that the mods weren't going to ban him for doing so, I just put him in the ignore bin. I'd rather not, but who wants to continually interact with someone who's purpose is so obvious?
No reason for me to be banned. I don't do anything that other people on here haven't done, and continue to do, many times over.

So lets say June 1 comes around and half the BIG 10 schools want to begin summer activities but the conference then says we are extending the shutdown to July 1?

You do not need models to get an estimate on the number of deaths. You can just apply some math to the data already in hand.

Have you ever heard the phrase when it comes to statistics "shit in shit out"? The data we have now is wildly inadequate to project anything.
The US has been averaging about 30k cases/day for the month of April, with a daily death count of 2k. Given that the “opening” has already started, there isn’t a reason to assume the transmission rate and its attending death rate should recede. So another 60k in the month of May can be reasonably assumed. Is there any reason to assume the infection rate will abate generally?
Some here will own the stance that the present rate of death is acceptable. The only problem is the present rate has been achieved while the US had the service economy shuttered sans take out and groceries.
We may regret the decision not to take another month to really bend the curve down. The outcome could be all of the economic misery (was already baked in) plus a second shock to our critical care system.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
The difference is that this is much more contagious and can be rapidly spread by people unknowingly with no apparent symptoms to other vulnerable people.
That isn't anything we haven't known for months now. I'm one who is at higher risk of dying of this. I also realize though that it is MY responsibility to take care of myself. I know. Personal responsibility is a tough concept for some people to understand. I don't expect nor want my fellow citizens to lose everything so I can stay healthy. It's on me. Lock down the nursing homes. IF you want lock down your own house. The rest is on the individual. THE MAIN REASON we went to shutting down businesses was to prevent the healthcare system from being overwhelmed. We're past that. Virtually the entire country is a different situation that the east coast cities that got hammered.

Last edited:
The US has been averaging about 30k cases/day for the month of April, with a daily death count of 2k. Given that the “opening” has already started, there isn’t a reason to assume the transmission rate and its attending death rate should recede. So another 60k in the month of May can be reasonably assumed. Is there any reason to assume the infection rate will abate generally?
Some here will own the stance that the present rate of death is acceptable. The only problem is the present rate has been achieved while the US had the service economy shuttered sans take out and groceries.
We may regret the decision not to take another month to really bend the curve down. The outcome could be all of the economic misery (was already baked in) plus a second shock to our critical care system.

We've seen several studies that have indicated that the actual number of positive cases is anywhere from 10 to 70 times higher than being reported. In that prison study they did a couple of weeks ago they had over 3000 positive tests and less than 3% of the people who tested positive had ANY symptoms. In New York City they estimate now based on some testing that over 15% of the population has been exposed and carries antibodies. In a thorough study in a German city, they found WAY more people with antibodies than they expected. The death rate based on that study was estimated at .37%. That's a far cry from the 3% mortality rate people were screaming about (myself included) when this started.

IMO it would be foolish to extrapolate 60,000 more deaths per month going forward. As we move further down the road with this, there will be fewer and fewer at risk people to acquire the infection. The virus is already wide spread in nursing homes across the country and that is where the bulk of the fatalities have come from in many cases. There was a news story today that I read where they had 400 workers test positive for COVID-19 in a packing plant setting. NONE OF THEM WERE SICK OR HAD BEEN SICK. In addition, treatment protocols have improved dramatically as well. Turns out all of those ventilators Cuomo screamed for were practically a death sentence. Simply placing people on their stomach instead of their back drastically improved their situation. :confused:

Logically, IMO, we should eventually EXPECT things to actually slow down as more people recover from the infection. As more people become immune it dramatically slows spread. The government can't keep writing checks for people to not work. China is already the largest holder of U.S. debt as it is. It's FOOLISH. We HAVE to get people back to work. Period. There is no other choice. It's a tough choice but for the good of our children and grand children we HAVE to get back to work.

Last edited:
Is he a Hawkeye?
I won't spend a ton of time on this, but here's what I'll tell you....

I'm supposedly a Buffalo fan, a Hawkeye fan, a Badger fan, a Gopher fan, and/ or a Golden Knight fan.

I keep telling those people to get together and make up their minds.

Well what the **** are you?

Troll.jpg

I won't spend a ton of time on this, but here's what I'll tell you....

I'm supposedly a Buffalo fan, a Hawkeye fan, a Badger fan, a Gopher fan, and/ or a Golden Knight fan.

I keep telling those people to get together and make up their minds.

I have a lot of fun cracking on iowa,Texas Colorado. But in the end who cares where your Fandom lies if every one liked the same team there would be no other teams.

I have a lot of fun cracking on iowa,Texas Colorado. But in the end who cares where your Fandom lies if every one liked the same team there would be no other teams.
Kind of how I feel as well...

And, I am a Husker fan...but not enough of one for some people.

Big Ten commish says it'll be early June before they can make any tangible decisions.

Wants to know if cases are going up coming down or remain stable. Needs to be able to have students on campus before any games are talked about. Some schools projecting that some schools not at this point.

Nothing that we haven't point out before.

Remains to be seen on my end whether the decisions will be uniform across the conference. Iowa wants to practice in June but I haven't looked for weeks since OSU banned students from campus until August whether they will change that.

I have no idea what the conference will do with that situation but just a wild ass guess is that any guidance will apply uniformly even if it means we all ended up following the stragglers.

Living in your head, rent free, apparently.....

Actually, I think I live in Scarletred's head (as I see he replied to you); I merely have a vacation rental in yours.

I'm sure he'll have a curmudgeonly reply to this as well.

BTW--The thread is already 3 pages. It didn't need me.

"Rent free," ouch! You sure know how to bring it my man! And you know how to ask all the tough questions too.

You're wrong . . . everybody needs you! What else would we do for a laugh? If you are still wondering how to drop a few pounds, go mediterranean diet, for real.

Reactions: scarletred
So another 60k in the month of May can be reasonably assumed. Is there any reason to assume the infection rate will abate generally?

Treatments are much better. (Drugs they've found the have success, placing people on their stomachs.)

The first "shock" you refer to, in NYC? Any where else in the US? They were oblivious to it in NYC and took no precautions at that time.

Social distancing, schools closed, no big crowds, masks, much higher testing #'s, better drugs and treatment = no more NYC type situations in the US.

People will continue to pass this around, there's no question about that. But communities, businesses and hospitals are much more prepared now than they ever were 2 months ago. Time to get back to normal activities (with masks and social distancing.)

60k deaths is good. People were talking about 2 million+ a month ago. The faster we reach 60k, the better as it's going to happen one way or another. I expect after that, deaths and infection rate will recede drastically as most of the population gets it.

We have neighbors who are in their 80's and not in great health. He is a vet and just wants to go play cards with his buddies. They're growing more and more impatient and uncomfortable with the notion that they are the reason younger families, with young children are suffering. We can continue to make grocery runs for them and help them, however we can and should, as neighbors. Communism is not a good look for Nebraska. Communism is not for everyone.
Communism ? For God sakes,this isn't communism.

ADVERTISEMENT