ADVERTISEMENT

Schools and Football

What is the problem with people getting the virus... same as getting the flu. You are sick a few days and then you move on with life. C-19 is not a death sentence.
for most people but not all. not to mention for every person that gets infected another 5-10 have to quarantine for 2 weeks. its not the same as getting the flu. for some the flu is worse. for some the flu is better. this is obviously much more contagious because we have more than tripled an average flu season while quarantining and social distancing. imagine if we treated corona like the flu. it would be a complete disaster.

15-20% is population immunity?
According to several epidemiologists including one at Oxford University medical school in the U.K., they believe due to T memory cells' previous exposure to other Corona viruses that 20% may be enough. You do realize that a population immunity doesn't just flip the switch to off when you get there right? What happens is what they're seeing now in Sweden with a reduction of new cases, hospitalizations and deaths eventually leading to a near complete absence of new cases. I'm not completely sold that 20% will be enough BUT the people suggesting that are a helluva lot smarter than us. One thing to remember is that a population immunity level which dramatically slows the virus doesn't mean that nobody will be getting it. We're too mobile as a society. Personally I'm going to take the vaccine no matter how few cases we're seeing at that time.

Fauci has pointed out that theoretical lockdown in the U.S, which was supposed to be 100% in the areas that employed it was likely 50-70% or even lower in some areas. There are theoretical barriers and reality, like in the case of Israel, where they opened schools in June, had "theoretical/science based" procedures in place, and they now have thousands of cases tied to schools. Certain societies are not used to following communal behaviors until they internalize their own safety, and even then they may yolo. Just pray to gawd that his virus isn't worse in the fall and winter and we are hitting our regional immunities right now.

wonder if he'll use his platform to decry fall sports

also wonder what his reception would be if there were fans present

Last edited:
for most people but not all. not to mention for every person that gets infected another 5-10 have to quarantine for 2 weeks. its not the same as getting the flu. for some the flu is worse. for some the flu is better. this is obviously much more contagious because we have more than tripled an average flu season while quarantining and social distancing. imagine if we treated corona like the flu. it would be a complete disaster.

You are right, it is very contagious, but that is it. The flu is contagious as well. The numbers are so screwed up because people are inflating them to make a case for making it deadly. This is so over inflated and rated. If this was a pandemic epidemic we would have no more tent cities or homelessness because they all would be dead and the city morgues would have thousands of stacked up bodies.. There would be no allies to shoot up in because they would be dead as well.

The 24 hour news cycle needs a story to spread fear and lies... this IS THE STORY OF THE DECADE. The younger age, the more fear is spread due to their inability to process information and mommy and daddy to protect them. Great story lines; false and inaccurate information, fabricated headlines, fear mongering and all out proven lies.

wonder if he'll use his platform to decry fall sports

also wonder what his reception would be if there were fans present
he already has one of the biggest platforms in the country he doesn't need a platform. i imagine he would get a standing ovation. he's been considered one of the leading experts in infectious diseases in this country for decades and has spent his life working to help others live a better life

The younger age, the more fear is spread due to their inability to process information and mommy and daddy to protect them. Great story lines; false and inaccurate information, fabricated headlines, fear mongering and all out proven lies.
There are extremely gullible people of all ages, and fear-mongering idiots on both ends of the political spectrum who believe anything a pundit in their tribe spews at them.

You are right, it is very contagious, but that is it. The flu is contagious as well. The numbers are so screwed up because people are inflating them to make a case for making it deadly. This is so over inflated and rated. If this was a pandemic epidemic we would have no more tent cities or homelessness because they all would be dead and the city morgues would have thousands of stacked up bodies.. There would be no allies to shoot up in because they would be dead as well.

The 24 hour news cycle needs a story to spread fear and lies... this IS THE STORY OF THE DECADE. The younger age, the more fear is spread due to their inability to process information and mommy and daddy to protect them. Great story lines; false and inaccurate information, fabricated headlines, fear mongering and all out proven lies.
well LOL. the numbers are screwed up. they are estimated to be anywhere from 6-13 times higher than reported. how does reporting cases make it more deadly? the only thing that counts as dead is dead. its hard to fake it. It is deadly. It kills 1000 people every day. what should we do about it is the question nobody has a perfect answer to. I'm not saying what the perfect solution is but if 4 large airplanes full of people were crashing every day with no survivors we would probably not accept it and do whatever it took to fix it.

they did do social distancing they just didn't totally close down. they did change their behavior and social settings. they did a LOT more than nothing

I dont remember anyone saying they did nothing.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
No, they absolutely haven't. If you had read that USAToday article, they point out that they are not even at 10% of their population yet, which is nowhere even close to herd immunity levels, which need to be at at least 60% (maybe more like 75%) from the last info I heard about it.

Second, as was just stated in another comment, the UK did not "lock down" until well into their outbreak, because their leader was incredibly stupid, and by then it is often too late to avoid a major increase in cases.

But hey, don't let FACTS get in your way.
You need to expand your scientific sources beyond USA Today and MSNBC. Try reading what Reuters prints about COVID and you'll have a better handle on things. Have you ever heard of cross protection to differing serotypes of viruses? Didn't think so. Several very smart infectious disease researchers (one at Oxford and one at Stanford) believe that the reason we're seeing so much variability in severity of infections AND so many asymptomatic infections is that a large number of people who have had Corona virus colds recently are getting cross protective immunity to this new Corona virus due to T memory cells. It's a very well known and fairly common phenomena. The different strains may share enough antigenic material to produce a memory response leading to rapid elimination of the virus. IF that is the case, we likely won't need 70% to reach population immunity. That said the CDC has stated that nationally they estimate that we've had 11X more infections than we think. I EXPECT the same is true for Sweden.

You know, my only goal in posting so much about this is to try to make sure that people get accurate information. My professional life has dealt with virology and vaccination protocols for over 35 years. I've taken graduate level virology, immunology and epidemiology classes. I have a doctorate in a medical field that uses those things daily.

ADD: I'm not an advocate for Sweden's model. Never was. I've said all along that masks and physical distancing are a good thing. I've also expressed concern about opening bars to anywhere near full capacity. It's just common sense though that IF you're in the high risk category YOU need to do the things to stay healthy.

Last edited:
Nope. Sorry, random weirdo putting up graphs showing historical averages in deaths in Scandinavia, that is not a proper analysis of what Sweden did versus their neighbors, or us. A quick Google search of simply "Sweden Covid-19" yields:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...munity-drove-up-death-toll-column/5472100002/

"Sweden also has a death toll more than four and a half times greater than that of the other four Nordic countries combined — more than seven times greater per million inhabitants. For a number of weeks, Sweden has been among the top in the world when it comes to current reported deaths per capita. And despite this, the strategy in essence remains the same."

There are other articles pointing out that of the Nordic countries, Sweden's economy will contract the least due to never closing things down entirely, but that falls into the category of "sacrifice public health for economics" and that's not something ANY health professionals are saying is a good idea.

You need to expand your scientific sources beyond USA Today and MSNBC. Try reading what Reuters prints about COVID and you'll have a better handle on things. Have you ever heard of cross protection to differing serotypes of viruses? Didn't think so. Several very smart infectious disease researchers (one at Oxford and one at Stanford) believe that the reason we're seeing so much variability in severity of infections AND so many asymptomatic infections is that a large number of people who have had Corona virus colds recently are getting cross protective immunity to this new Corona virus due to T memory cells. It's a very well known and fairly common phenomena. The different strains may share enough antigenic material to produce a memory response leading to rapid elimination of the virus. IF that is the case, we likely won't need 70% to reach population immunity. That said the CDC has stated that nationally they estimate that we've had 11X more infections than we think. I EXPECT the same is true for Sweden.

You know, my only goal in posting so much about this is to try to make sure that people get accurate information. My professional life has dealt with virology and vaccination protocols for over 35 years. I've taken graduate level virology, immunology and epidemiology classes. I have a doctorate in a medical field that uses those things daily.

ADD: I'm not an advocate for Sweden's model. Never was. I've said all along that masks and physical distancing are a good thing. I've also expressed concern about opening bars to anywhere near full capacity. It's just common sense though that IF you're in the high risk category YOU need to do the things to stay healthy.

I enjoy your commentary so keep it going.

Also, I get trying to protect the teachers as a number of them will fall into an age range that is much more dangerous, but I saw an article the other day that basically says for school aged children (5-18) you have a better shot of dying in a car wreck on the way to school then dying of Covid. That is shit part about this whole deal is it isn't about the virus. It's about politics.

I enjoy your commentary so keep it going.

Also, I get trying to protect the teachers as a number of them will fall into an age range that is much more dangerous, but I saw an article the other day that basically says for school aged children (5-18) you have a better shot of dying in a car wreck on the way to school then dying of Covid. That is shit part about this whole deal is it isn't about the virus. It's about politics.

It's just exhausting trying to get excited about something with a .03% kill rate that is being portrayed as though it's much higher and then add on top it's being weaponized for political gain. Most people are just over it and want to move on.

So, not sure this is the right thread to post this, but my wife who teaches grade school in Indonesia, had to get covid tested today.

They are just about to start up school next week, and this week has been teachers only, working from the school, or that has been the plan.

Apparently one of my wife's partner teachers didn't feel good and called in sick, which prompted the prior day's contact tracing within the school, leading to about 25-35 individuals at the school getting the covid test. Apparently one of the teachers broke down crying and such.

They don't even know if that original teacher has the virus or not, because the testing results take a few days, and are also apparently unreliable. Which makes no sense to me to even use an unreliable test, as it tells you nothing, and only creates anxiety.

So, she and others will be working from home tomorrow, and until they get cleared to go back to the school next week.

So from this one little example, in one school, it seems to me, like a vision of things to come, for many schools as they try to open. Although details will be slightly different from example to example, this looks to be the makings of a huge unorganized mess.. coming soon to a school near you.

So, not sure this is the right thread to post this, but my wife who teaches grade school in Indonesia, had to get covid tested today.

They are just about to start up school next week, and this week has been teachers only, working from the school, or that has been the plan.

Apparently one of my wife's partner teachers didn't feel good and called in sick, which prompted the prior day's contact tracing within the school, leading to about 25-35 individuals at the school getting the covid test. Apparently one of the teachers broke down crying and such.

They don't even know if that original teacher has the virus or not, because the testing results take a few days, and are also apparently unreliable. Which makes no sense to me to even use an unreliable test, as it tells you nothing, and only creates anxiety.

So, she and others will be working from home tomorrow, and until they get cleared to go back to the school next week.

So from this one little example, in one school, it seems to me, like a vision of things to come, for many schools as they try to open. Although details will be slightly different from example to example, this looks to be the makings of a huge unorganized mess.. coming soon to a school near you.
positives in the US are returned to teachers/healthcare pros within 24 hours, negatives 48 hours. there are still false results, I'm sure, but labs have gotten pretty proficient here.

my fiance is a nurse in an oncology clinic. she's had co-workers test positive and would subsequently test negative, never missing a day of work. more of a minor annoyance than anything, and the CDC says employees may work with a test pending (kind of flies in the face of the seriousness/contagiousness, but whatever).

my sister is a teacher in Elkhorn and my brother teaches in District 66. both say they've been told to expect similar.

Yes, I have heard of cross protection, and yes, it's an interesting phenomena, but unfortunately right now needs to be treated as speculation due to lack of concrete understanding of how it might be a factor in this pandemic. But, you don't build public policy on speculation. My background is in political science and public policy. I have multiple graduate degrees in the subjects, but shifted my career into analytics. So? What is your point? You may think I post stupid shit, due to your biases, and that's fine. I KNOW you post stupid shit due to yours.

My point is, we can either keep talking past each other, or figure out a way to try to simply focus on solid information and what the outcomes of specific choices might look like. Believe it or not, I don't enjoy the name-calling and other childish bullshit that often happens when politics are brought up. I just also am not going to stand by idly while people spout of ignorant, horrible claims and let them go unchallenged.

Reactions: ATLsker
But, you don't build public policy on speculation.
which country do you reside in?

maybe in the classroom this is the case. in the real world, especially when it comes to fiscal policy, you only build public policy on speculation.

keep dreaming.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Yes, I have heard of cross protection, and yes, it's an interesting phenomena, but unfortunately right now needs to be treated as speculation due to lack of concrete understanding of how it might be a factor in this pandemic. But, you don't build public policy on speculation. My background is in political science and public policy. I have multiple graduate degrees in the subjects, but shifted my career into analytics. So? What is your point? You may think I post stupid shit, due to your biases, and that's fine. I KNOW you post stupid shit due to yours.

My point is, we can either keep talking past each other, or figure out a way to try to simply focus on solid information and what the outcomes of specific choices might look like. Believe it or not, I don't enjoy the name-calling and other childish bullshit that often happens when politics are brought up. I just also am not going to stand by idly while people spout of ignorant, horrible claims and let them go unchallenged.
remember when you said the protests were unorganized? and posted a wiki link as proof they didn't add to the spread of this pandemic due to timeline, while at the same time stating 5-10 people will be infected by asymptomatic kids going home from school?

adios, credibility. your bias has blinded you to common sense.

Reactions: dinglefritz
which country do you reside in?

maybe in the classroom this is the case. in the real world, especially when it comes to fiscal policy, you only build public policy on speculation.

keep dreaming.

Uh, no, and that is, yet again, you blending two very different things together to make an incorrect point. Public policy designed to control and defeat a virus is very, very different from public policy on spending priorities. In the case of the former, you want it to be as evidence-based as possible, and you have to have access to said scientific evidence. The latter can be far more ideological because it's much more a statement of political priorities. Duh DOY.

remember when you said the protests were unorganized? and posted a wiki link as proof they didn't add to the spread of this pandemic due to timeline, while at the same time stating 5-10 people will be infected by asymptomatic kids going home from school?

adios, credibility. your bias has blinded you to common sense.

I said the protests were unorganized? No. I said they were not designed to break laws or loot, but there was some organization behind them, obviously. And yes, it is true that they did not lead to any known spike in cases due to them being outdoors and many people wearing masks.

ADIOS CREDIBILITY HUH HUH HUH.

Uh, no, and that is, yet again, you blending two very different things together to make an incorrect point. Public policy designed to control and defeat a virus is very, very different from public policy on spending priorities. In the case of the former, you want it to be as evidence-based as possible, and you have to have access to said scientific evidence. The latter can be far more ideological because it's much more a statement of political priorities. Duh DOY.
I was quoting a sweeping generalization you made "you don't build public policy on speculation", and it seems I was correct.

you'd think a multiple-times grad student should be able to communicate more effectively. be more specific, friend. it helps if you actually have a point you want to get across.

I was quoting a sweeping generalization you made "you don't build public policy on speculation", and it seems I was correct.

you'd think a multiple-times grad student should be able to communicate more effectively. be more specific, friend. it helps if you actually have a point you want to get across.

I think I was being specific enough. The implication here is the problem might not be on my end. Also, this is a forum about football, it's not a conference and I'm not writing an academic article. Anyway, gotta get to work.

I said the protests were unorganized? No. I said they were not designed to break laws or loot, but there was some organization behind them, obviously. And yes, it is true that they did not lead to any known spike in cases due to them being outdoors and many people wearing masks.

ADIOS CREDIBILITY HUH HUH HUH.
okay.. here's your quote (cannot directly quote due to thread being locked):

Well, as you said, the protests were spontaneous and just sort of happened on the streets.

how can you possibly think tens of thousands huddling for hours in the streets, including in places where lockdowns were more extreme, and screaming their heads off didn't lead to a spike while also constantly stating that younger, asymptomatic people will spread the virus in the weeks following exposure?

if it's safe to be outdoors with tens of thousands while wearing a mask, screaming at the top of your lungs, why would you then turn to regulation when it comes to attendance at football games or other gatherings?

those statements are diametrically opposed and obviously not fueled by common sense or lack of bias. and you say I have trouble thinking clearly. this is as contradictory as it gets.

Last edited:
It's just exhausting trying to get excited about something with a .03% kill rate that is being portrayed as though it's much higher and then add on top it's being weaponized for political gain. Most people are just over it and want to move on.
well other than the relatives of the 1000 people who die every day. they want to get over it but can't. would you just get over seeing 1000 dead people laying outside your house everyday in the street? every. day.
you dont care because it hasn't affected you. a lot of others do care. dont speak for them

well LOL. the numbers are screwed up. they are estimated to be anywhere from 6-13 times higher than reported. how does reporting cases make it more deadly? the only thing that counts as dead is dead. its hard to fake it. It is deadly. It kills 1000 people every day. what should we do about it is the question nobody has a perfect answer to. I'm not saying what the perfect solution is but if 4 large airplanes full of people were crashing every day with no survivors we would probably not accept it and do whatever it took to fix it.

Prove your 1000 per day... There are no accurate numbers being reported. All you need is a trace of Covid in your system, and in many times no Covid in your system to be labeled as Covid. There is no set standardized system to prove covid death. All it takes is a fabricated report and bingo, a Covid death. Many deaths that are from the flu are classified as Covid. This is a 100% fabricated disease problem.

Last edited:
well other than the relatives of the 1000 people who die every day. they want to get over it but can't. would you just get over seeing 1000 dead people laying outside your house everyday in the street? every. day.
you dont care because it hasn't affected you. a lot of others do care. dont speak for them

There are 7K people that die everyday of a numerous amount of causes and we go on with normal life, and if you are that scared then stay down in your bunker.

My twin sister got it...she's a nurse. She would tell you the same thing I did..as would a lot of other peoole who had it. I cannot believe how weak minded and easily manipulated so many people are on this issue. It simply is not worth destroying our way of life over...and why not just say one million people a day die over it. It would be just as accurate.[/QUOTE]

001.jpg

Spanish Flu was also overblown by liberals. It only killed 3% of Americans...about 600k. And it only infected 33% of the population. So even if it passed through your area, you only had a 1/3 chance to get it and even then you had a 9/10 chance to survive. 97% of Americans survived the spanish flu. Most deaths occured in those liberal run cities like Philadelphia where thugs were running around fighting and committing crimes. Tuberculosis killed 1/7 Americans at the turn of the century so you had a much better chance of dying from that than the Le Grippe....liberal pacifists tried to stop the war effort with their "interventions" but true Americans like Woodrow Wilson pushed through war bonds parades anyway to support the troops, and as a consequence America won the war.

Believe it or not, I don't enjoy the name-calling and other childish bullshit that often happens when politics are brought up. I just also am not going to stand by idly while people spout of ignorant, horrible claims and let them go unchallenged.

That’s hilarious because you still haven’t responded to me when I called you out for calling the “plandemic” people “fools”. I asked you to please enlighten me as to how you’ve proven that no one anywhere could have planned the release of this virus. Crickets. Childish name calling, then crickets. Then here I find out that you don’t even like doing this thing that you do. You may need professional help with that. Given your statements, you can no longer blame people for questioning the validity of everything you say.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT