ADVERTISEMENT

scholly qbs

huntered

Recruiting Coordinator
Mar 28, 2009
cheyenne wy
wife found a couple college football magazine from 2004 and 2005. looked like we had 6-7 scholly qbs on the rosters. checked 2010 and it looked like we had 6. am i missing/more confused than normal? are 3 scholly qbs the norm?

I've never been head football coach and have no roster management experience, but if I was (which again, I am not) I'd want 3-4 scholarship qbs

Reactions: bigredhunter
I don't remember 2004 and 2005 and who was scholarship and who was a walk on.

In 2010, Washington started as a LB and moved to QB as a junior, if memory serves, and Kellogg was the walk on.
Spano was injured all the time and left, Green and Carnes also both transferred.

We should have 5 at all times.

Would wager a princely sum that 3 is the lowest in all of P5.
But if you have 5 - 6, are kids today willing to be backup B or C. It seems that most kids want the gratification of being the starting QB, or the starter next year. Do kids today want to challenge for the starting spot against 4 - 5 others. The transfer portal leads me to believe the answer is no.

Does anything about P5 rosters from 10-15 years ago resemble 2021 at all? From the portal to no sit out transfers to free pandemic years, pretty hard to compare the eras. You’re not gonna get a scholarship qb to stand pat behind 4-6 other guys on the depth chart. They basically transfer as soon as they know they’re not the starter.

But if you have 5 - 6, are kids today willing to be backup B or C. It seems that most kids want the gratification of being the starting QB, or the starter next year. Do kids today want to challenge for the starting spot against 4 - 5 others. The transfer portal leads me to believe the answer is no.
Staffs cannot, under any circumstance, put their teams at risk for the sake of 2-3 kids’ feelings.

Our current quarterback situation, where the losingest player school history is literally our only option at the most important position, without threat of competition, for two (and probably 3) years running, is infinitely more untenable than having a room full of kids playing transfer roulette.

Does anything about P5 rosters from 10-15 years ago resemble 2021 at all? From the portal to no sit out transfers to free pandemic years, pretty hard to compare the eras. You’re not gonna get a scholarship qb to stand pat behind 4-6 other guys on the depth chart. They basically transfer as soon as they know they’re not the starter.
This has been our experience, yes.

But, it’s an embellishment. The vast, overwhelming majority of P5 schools are not having to turn to true freshmen every year when their starter goes down or doesn’t cut the mustard.

Staffs cannot, under any circumstance, put their teams at risk for the sake of 2-3 kids’ feelings.

Our current quarterback situation, where the losingest player school history is literally our only option at the most important position, without threat of competition, for two (and probably 3) years running, is infinitely more untenable than having a room full of kids playing transfer roulette.
That time has passed. If you have four QBs with one being a scholarship freshman that enrolled at midterm that may be the future. Kids want to play and if that means going to NDSU, well they've produced three NFL qbs in last decade. Add to that NIL and there is no reason to be a bench warmer.

That time has passed. If you have four QBs with one being a scholarship freshman that enrolled at midterm that may be the future. Kids want to play and if that means going to NDSU, well they've produced three NFL qbs in last decade. Add to that NIL and there is no reason to be a bench warmer.
so, every school has 2 scholarship QBs on the roster?

no. of course not.

it's just been our experience since AM was promised oops *ahem* sorry won the starting job. there are plenty of kids sitting at 3+ on the depth chart who are working their asses off to be ready when the starter goes down/doesn't perform.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
adding NIL does nothing to why a QB would not sit the bench or why they would transfer. NIL is not dependent upon someone starting games, playing in games, or even doing well in games. I would say the majority of the revenue made from NIL will be online and through Instagram and YouTube, where they don't care if you are a QB or a BQ. Good looking, funny, give great advice, do crazy shit, whatever your angle is, the game will be can you get followers.

People paid close to $100 to watch the Paul brothers "fight" that says all you need to know.

Reactions: huntered
ok. i checked a couple big 10 teams. iowa 3 and wisconsin 4. really dont think this is enough but we shall see soon enough. the transfer argument is pointless as guys can both leave and join any given team. lets hope we dont have a couple leave during fall camp.

No good to average QB is giving up their starting spot for a chance to compete with a 4th year starter. STOP BEING DELUSIONAL!!!

Gebbia, Bunch, Vedral, and McCaffrey all left because they didn't want to sit the bench. You want depth, get Masker ready to play.

Reactions: WHCSC
This has been our experience, yes.

But, it’s an embellishment. The vast, overwhelming majority of P5 schools are not having to turn to true freshmen every year when their starter goes down or doesn’t cut the mustard.
Northwestern is certainly facing Issues with Qb’s . Wisconsin is for that matter having the same issues we are , they had no depth and really no experience at QB last year.

No good to average QB is giving up their starting spot for a chance to compete with a 4th year starter. STOP BEING DELUSIONAL!!!

Gebbia, Bunch, Vedral, and McCaffrey all left because they didn't want to sit the bench. You want depth, get Masker ready to play.
And everyone thinks this transfer portal is so great, look who we‘ve already left in the last 3 years..

Masker is a walk on but so was Bunch but he is our most experienced QB that knows the system better entering the season…

The fate of most scholarship QBs on NU's roster, going back to the days of Joe Ganz, is to transfer. The starters (that weren't fill ins) after Ganz: Z. Lee, TMart, TA, T. Lee, and AMart. I was thinking that Vedral would serve as the reliable backup, but he had other plans.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
The fate of most scholarship QBs on NU's roster, going back to the days of Joe Ganz, is to transfer. The starters (that weren't fill ins) after Ganz: Z. Lee, TMart, TA, T. Lee, and AMart. I was thinking that Vedral would serve as the reliable backup, but he had other plans.
Why would Vedral want to be a reliable backup for us? He wanted to play and now he starts in the B1G!

Bunch left to start for SW Missori St
Gebbia left to eventually start Oregon St
McCaffrey left to start for Louisville... oops!!
Vedral left to start for Rutgers

QBs aren't signing up to provide depth.

The staff has said they'd like to take one QB per year, which would mean they'd prefer to carry 4-5 with a couple of them being upperclassmen.

Interesting to note that NU won a Natty in the third decade of Osborne's tenure with a scholarship QB depth chart of:

Frazier
Berringer

The results aside, that's far from ideal and that's why Frankie London and Jeff Perino were added as scholarship QBs in addition to Frazier and Berringer for the '95 season with Scott Frost also transferring in with eligibility beginning in 1996.

Random find, Ryan Held is listed as a walk-on QB on the 1995 roster with a note in his bio regarding '94. I didn't know his first position was at QB after coming in as an Athlete.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT