ADVERTISEMENT

Scholly players you may have (or not) forgotten on our roster…

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Preface: In College football, depth is critical. Most schools struggle to establish it, but we seem to have struggled well.. extra.
This is not a “run em out of town” post, but more a look at players who have yet to emerge who need to be considered in the “will they stay or go” conversation. I worry what kind of numbers we can pull in to get what we need for 2023 if we lose too many experienced guys along with the inexperienced.

DB Tamon Lynum
DB Tyreke Johnson
DB Javier Morton
DB Koby Bretz
DB Kaine Williams
DB Omar Brown
DB Jalil Martin (famous for Iowa punt error)
DB Gage Stenger
DL Ruquan Buckley
DL Marquis Black
LB Jake Appleget
LB Mikai Gbayor
LB Seth Malcom
LB Randolph Kpai
LB Garrett Snodgrass
OL Justin Jenkins Evans
OL Michael Lynn
OL Ezra Miller
OL Alex Conn
OL Jailen Weaver
RB Emmet Johnson
TE Chase Androff
TE James Carnie
TE Chris Hickman
TE AJ Rollins
TE Brodie Tagaloa
WR Kamonte Grimes
WR Shawn Hardy
WR Victor Jones

*other players like NPG get a lot of mention, Blaise, Jimari, Banks, DeColdest, and plenty of others- obviously QB room.

A lot have been injured or simply too young to contribute, but just a list of names to keep in mind during roster turnover.

Preface: In College football, depth is critical. Most schools struggle to establish it, but we seem to have struggled well.. extra.
This is not a “run em out of town” post, but more a look at players who have yet to emerge who need to be considered in the “will they stay or go” conversation. I worry what kind of numbers we can pull in to get what we need for 2023 if we lose too many experienced guys along with the inexperienced.

DB Tamon Lynum
DB Tyreke Johnson
DB Javier Morton
DB Koby Bretz
DB Kaine Williams
DB Omar Brown
DB Gage Stenger
DL Ruquan Buckley
DL Marquis Black
LB Jake Appleget
LB Mikai Gbayor
LB Seth Malcom
LB Randolph Kpai
LB Garrett Snodgrass
OL Justin Jenkins Evans
OL Michael Lynn
OL Ezra Miller
OL Alex Conn
OL Jailen Weaver
RB Emmet Johnson
TE Chase Androff
TE James Carnie
TE Chris Hickman
TE AJ Rollins
TE Brodie Tagaloa
WR Kamonte Grimes
WR Shawn Hardy
WR Victor Jones

*other players like NPG get a lot of mention, Blaise, Jimari, Banks, DeColdest, and plenty of others- obviously QB room.

A lot have been injured or simply too young to contribute, but just a list of names to keep in mind during roster turnover.
A pot of the young guys you mention have not yet had much of an opportunity to prove they can play at a high level. I imagine they will get that chance this spring. There are likely to be some spirited practices this spring and wholesale changes following the spring game

DB Tamon Lynum
DB Tyreke Johnson
DB Javier Morton
DB Koby Bretz
DB Kaine Williams
DB Omar Brown
DB Gage Stenger
DL Ruquan Buckley
DL Marquis Black
LB Jake Appleget
LB Mikai Gbayor
LB Seth Malcom
LB Randolph Kpai
LB Garrett Snodgrass
OL Justin Jenkins Evans
OL Michael Lynn
OL Ezra Miller
OL Alex Conn
OL Jailen Weaver
RB Emmet Johnson
TE Chase Androff
TE James Carnie
TE Chris Hickman
TE AJ Rollins
TE Brodie Tagaloa
WR Kamonte Grimes
WR Shawn Hardy
WR Victor Jones

You list about 30 guys here which seem about right. The way that Rhule talks some of these kids very well may be playing out of position and will be given a chance to see what they can do when fairly judged. No question some will transfer, or be taken off an athletic scholarship, or be moved to a different position which may give them a chance to be on the field in a meaningful fashion.

No doubt some of them just lack whatever it may take to play at the D1 level. If one of those reasons is they don't like to work hard or feel somehow entitled, will be among the first to go.

if you are talking about Iowa's punt block in 2021 -- that was Snodgrass who blew the assignment

21 sec mark of the clip

I think I remember Iowa said post game they knew they’d block a punt from our alignments they saw on film.
Maybe as much coaching as Snodgrass, as we weren’t lined up to handle the pressure. Hard to watch.
How many times did we hear post game comments from opponents confident in their strategy based off dissecting our film?

My post was shortly after the 2022 game, and I think referenced Martin losing sight of a late punt to pin them deep, allowing a touchback.
I think the TV game commentators commented on how you need your gunner to do better.
Not as egregious in hindsight, but special teams is about details and making plays.
It’s at about the 24:15 mark…

I think I remember Iowa said post game they knew they’d block a punt from our alignments they saw on film.
Maybe as much coaching as Snodgrass, as we weren’t lined up to handle the pressure. Hard to watch.
Thank you for saying that. The punt block was caused one of two factors- bad scheme or poor execution due to lack of practice time & coaches carelessly allowing players to develop bad habits without correcting them. Maybe both.

Snodgrass in this instance might just be the guy closest enough to look like he's to blame.

DB Tamon Lynum
DB Tyreke Johnson
DB Javier Morton
DB Koby Bretz
DB Kaine Williams
DB Omar Brown
DB Gage Stenger
DL Ruquan Buckley
LB Jake Appleget
LB Seth Malcom
LB Randolph Kpai
LB Garrett Snodgrass
OL Justin Jenkins Evans
OL Michael Lynn
OL Ezra Miller
OL Alex Conn
RB Emmet Johnson
TE Chase Androff
TE James Carnie
TE Chris Hickman
TE AJ Rollins
TE Brodie Tagaloa
WR Shawn Hardy
WR Victor Jones
There are some dubious names on that list for sure. Some of that is just poor recruiting-- bringing in injured guys or kids who aren't recruited by their middle of the pack home state school has not worked out. A couple guys on that list never should have been signed in the first place regardless of the star rating given by some guy who never saw him play.

But there are also some kids on there who should finally get a chance to develop. Androff could be the blocking TE that we need to park next to a right OT who needs help. A lot of those DBs deserve a good look too. Some of those kids got lost in the shuffle as Frost brought in that large batch of newcomers to find immediate help. No time for player development.

There are some dubious names on that list for sure. Some of that is just poor recruiting-- bringing in injured guys or kids who aren't recruited by their middle of the pack home state school has not worked out. A couple guys on that list never should have been signed in the first place regardless of the star rating given by some guy who never saw him play.

But there are also some kids on there who should finally get a chance to develop. Androff could be the blocking TE that we need to park next to a right OT who needs help. A lot of those DBs deserve a good look too. Some of those kids got lost in the shuffle as Frost brought in that large batch of newcomers to find immediate help. No time for player development.
I’m very interested to see what/how they do with our young TEs. I think there’s a lot of untapped potential in that room. Boerkircher at one time played some tackle. It would be nice to see him get big enough to do that again.

Everyone has opinions and since most of these guys are unknowns those opinions will vary. But I think guys like Kpai, Buckley and Rollins still have the potential to be very good players for us and I’d hate to see them go.

Everyone has opinions and since most of these guys are unknowns those opinions will vary. But I think guys like Kpai, Buckley and Rollins still have the potential to be very good players for us and I’d hate to see them go.
… and @Dean Pope
Agreed there’s plenty of names that should not be discounted just because they’re in their first couple of years, may have had injuries, etc.
Guys need to be allowed to grow into their potential. It’ll be up to coaches to identify who shows the most potential with the available spots we have.
This spring competition for spots is best case scenario in a lot of ways. I’m sorry it won’t work out for everyone, but we need to move this thing forward and into the Win column.

… and @Dean Pope
Agreed there’s plenty of names that should not be discounted just because they’re in their first couple of years, may have had injuries, etc.
Guys need to be allowed to grow into their potential. It’ll be up to coaches to identify who shows the most potential with the available spots we have.
This spring competition for spots is best case scenario in a lot of ways. I’m sorry it won’t work out for everyone, but we need to move this thing forward and into the Win column.
Some of the dumbest things I’ve seen on this board are suggestions of players who should leave.

Reactions: Dean Pope
Weaver too right? IF Tyreke Johnson is as slow as some say I suspect his scholarship won’t be renewed.
So if I understand the rule, the Big Ten guarantees the scholarship but the school may choose to offer the athlete the option to accept a different university funded scholarship essentially in exchange to ‘retire’ from athletic participation.

So if I understand the rule, the Big Ten guarantees the scholarship but the school may choose to offer the athlete the option to accept a different university funded scholarship essentially in exchange to ‘retire’ from athletic participation.
Supposedly a transfer’s scholarship is not guaranteed for 4 years. Otherwise yes they can be removed from the roster and put on a non-football scholarship. Most of them would likely opt to transfer though before accepting that.

Some of the dumbest things I’ve seen on this board are suggestions of players who should leave.
Need to give young guys a chance to grow, but I would say it’s generally fair to say that if a player reaches year 3+ and is not on the 3 deep (2 deep at some spots) on a team with a losing record, then the focus should be on finding an upgrade.

There are a couple things at play. First scholarships are only guaranteed by the B1G schools for 4 years after HS. So 5th and 6th year guys are not guaranteed scholarships. Also during a coaching change the new coach can retire up to 10 players, putting them on university scholarship but not on the team or counted towards the 85 limit.

Agreed. In a world where NFL teams can analyze players for years and still miss on first round draft picks, opinionated message board posters who never watch a single practice aren't going to have a clue. There's a lot of guys on that list who were a couple years away when we recruited them and they really haven't been given their fair shot yet.

ADVERTISEMENT