ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarships remaining....

HuskerNorm

Walk On
Jan 28, 2004
I have been fairly vocal about saying that this class would get to at least 18 players. That hasn't been the most popular opinion. With the departure of Greg Simmons, and the fact that at least one recruit is unlikely to qualify from last years class, it looks like we are already at 17. I assume we still leave a scholarship open for Keyshawn Jr. (give it to a senior walk on this year?). At this point I wouldn't be shocked if the final class number is 20, but for the sake of conversation lets assume it stops at 18.

With the above in mind what positions does this allow us to take an extra recruit at? Are there recruits that come back into the picture who we didn't make a priority before? How does this change the recruiting strategy going forward?

I have been fairly vocal about saying that this class would get to at least 18 players. That hasn't been the most popular opinion. With the departure of Greg Simmons, and the fact that at least one recruit is unlikely to qualify from last years class, it looks like we are already at 17. I assume we still leave a scholarship open for Keyshawn Jr. (give it to a senior walk on this year?). At this point I wouldn't be shocked if the final class number is 20, but for the sake of conversation lets assume it stops at 18.

With the above in mind what positions does this allow us to take an extra recruit at? Are there recruits that come back into the picture who we didn't make a priority before? How does this change the recruiting strategy going forward?

I think 17 is the max. We're at 16 right now with Simmons leaving, and Johnson Jr's scholarship likely stays with him, as this is a "leave of absence" which keeps everything in place usually.

I'd say now that we have an extra slot, we try hard to get Pledger at RB. My thought is we still get 1-2 more WR's, 1-2 more DB's, 1 edge rusher (DE or OLB), and 1 OL. That puts us at 15-16. The extra one would probably be for some elite player. If we get to 17, try adding two, like Micah Parsons. :-D

I think 17 is the max. We're at 16 right now with Simmons leaving, and Johnson Jr's scholarship likely stays with him, as this is a "leave of absence" which keeps everything in place usually.

I'd say now that we have an extra slot, we try hard to get Pledger at RB. My thought is we still get 1-2 more WR's, 1-2 more DB's, 1 edge rusher (DE or OLB), and 1 OL. That puts us at 15-16. The extra one would probably be for some elite player. If we get to 17, try adding two, like Micah Parsons. :-D
Curious to see how that plays out with KJJ's scholarship. Were it not for the relationship between Riley and KJ Sr. I would say assuming you never see him again and fill that scholarship this cycle. But I believe the family is committed to Riley so I'd be surprised if he went elsewhere.

Curious to see how that plays out with KJJ's scholarship. Were it not for the relationship between Riley and KJ Sr. I would say assuming you never see him again and fill that scholarship this cycle. But I believe the family is committed to Riley so I'd be surprised if he went elsewhere.
The key phrase is "leave of absence," Beav. That usually means "Everything is as is but on ice until you return or indicate you are not returning." My guess is that scholarship is locked up for him unless he chooses to not come back.

Reactions: c3ntral08
Ought to fill KJJ scholarship this year. He should have to earn one the year he comes back. Or he pays his way and is still on the team, which would be even better.

I think it's more likely than not that Watts isn't going to qualify but I could be wrong. That putts us at 17 now and I'd be really really surprised if between now and February we don't lose a single guy to attrition. I don't think we give Keyshawn's scholly away unless he and his dad are fully on board with that plan. We don't want to burn that bridge.

I think you confuse what myself and others are saying about the number of scholarships that would be available for 2018. No one doubted that the number could or even would grow. Your opinion was only "unpopular" in your mind because you misunderstood what people were saying.

I stated this before but I will repeat for you, I wrote that the number was 15 until it wasn't because there is an 85 scholarship limit. Coaches cannot recruit assuming that players will leave because there is the chance that they won't.

If there was an instance where Riley had committed a player under the assumption that someone would leave, and that player didn't leave, he would be forced to either talk the kid into leaving or not send an NLI to the recruit. Both would be unpopular with the fan base and the latter would be a wart on the recruiting trail.

As of right now, the number is 16, so that is what I base my prognostications on. If Watts and/ or Blades doesn't make it in, then the number will grow from there.

Reactions: HuskerLLM
I think you confuse what myself and others are saying about the number of scholarships that would be available for 2018. No one doubted that the number could or even would grow. Your opinion was only "unpopular" in your mind because you misunderstood what people were saying.

I stated this before but I will repeat for you, I wrote that the number was 15 until it wasn't because there is an 85 scholarship limit. Coaches cannot recruit assuming that players will leave because there is the chance that they won't.

If there was an instance where Riley had committed a player under the assumption that someone would leave, and that player didn't leave, he would be forced to either talk the kid into leaving or not send an NLI to the recruit. Both would be unpopular with the fan base and the latter would be a wart on the recruiting trail.

As of right now, the number is 16, so that is what I base my prognostications on. If Daniels and/ or Blades doesn't make it in, then the number will grow from there.

Watts, not Daniels. And I think Blades is in. So it is 16 as of right this second, yes.

Oh by the way, Wiltfong just predicted Tutt and Cameron Brown to Nebraska. Tutt's really blown up over the last 24 hours as a pro Nebraska recruit, and its nice to see Brown may come back into the fold.

Ought to fill KJJ scholarship this year. He should have to earn one the year he comes back. Or he pays his way and is still on the team, which would be even better.

If KJJ comes back in January, then there won't be a scholarship to fill because signing day isn't until February. If he doesn't come back in January, then by all means sign a player for the 2018 class and use the scholarship.

But I doubt a decision will be made on that particular scholarship until the Johnson's and Riley decide if Jr is going to return to Lincoln. For clarity, I am not saying that it will be January before that decision is made.

Tutt's really blown up over the last 24 hours as a pro Nebraska recruit, and its nice to see Brown may come back into the fold.

It seems like there has been a flurry of predictions for Christian Tutt and Nebraska, including both the Georgia and Alabama 247 writers (in addition to several national analysts). Great news!

I would think that if KJ Jr isn't back in Lincoln by January, then his scholarship would go back into the pool. But then again, none of us know what is what in terms of the agreement between Senior and Riley.

As of right now, the number is 16, so that is what I base my prognostications on. If Watts and/ or Blades doesn't make it in, then the number will grow from there.

I don't usually do this because I really don't care that much and I have a lot of respect for you as a poster but you are totally misconstruing the discussion we had about this issue in a previous thread.

Here is the pertinent part of what I said:

This isn't really the point. This is a discussion of what the class ranking will be on NSD... Therefore the question is how many recruits do we ultimately sign, not how many will we have committed by June 1. The number won't be 15 next February and I don't understand the perception that it will. If it's not at least 18 I will be shocked.

Here was your reply:

Prepare to be shocked. I don't see it getting to 18.

Cole Conrad will be on scholarship before the fall starts. He will be a junior. That will eat up one of the attritioned scholarships. I would expect to see Reimers get one too.

Too many moving parts to simply say 3 guys will leave, therefore we will have 18 open.

I understand the nuances of waiting till we have the open scholarships to actually offer those scholarships. I also believe you have to keep recruiting kids with the knowledge more scholarships may come open. I think we agree on those point. What I have said, and continue to say, is that the class will be at least 18 on NSD. I said I'd be shocked if it wasn't and you told me to prepare to be shocked which means you don't think it will get to 18. It is completely fine for you to have that opinion but I'm not confused about the discussion that's gone on. Anyway that isn't why I started this thread. You're way more knowledgeable about recruiting than me and I was just looking for your opinion, and others, on how the new numbers effect the class dynamic.

Seeing what a stand up guy Key Sr is, I kinda wonder if he will let MR "off the hook" for KJJ.

Seeing as he's wealthy enough to pay for his son's schooling, I wonder if he'll tell MR to keep the door open for whenever KJJ gets his maturity together, but don't sweat the scholly because he'll just enroll him so they don't have to play numbers game semester to semester.

And I stand by the point that as of right now, 18 won't be reached.

There will be walk ons that get multi year scholarships, Conrad and Reimers to name just 2. With just those two changes, the numbers are back to 15. Now to get to 18, 3 more players are going to have to leave.

And I stand by the point that as of right now, 18 won't be reached.

There will be walk ons that get multi year scholarships, Conrad and Reimers to name just 2. With just those two changes, the numbers are back to 15. Now to get to 18, 3 more players are going to have to leave.
There are a lot of possible players that will open up spots once again "Possible" players not "Guaranteed" players

Zack Darlington (Obvious reasons)
Deiontae Watts (May not qualify)
Elijah Blades (One I really hope doesn't, but like I said possible)
Matt Snyder (The fact Hoppes is the Starter and you never hear his name)
Peyton Newell (Right now he is just a big body)
Sedrck King (Going to get lost in the shuffle)
Avery Anderson (Not seeing the field yet)

You could throw in a couple more DB's too, but most are young like Butler and Bootle and still have a long time to prove themselves, and is why they are not on the list.

Wasn't Snyder an injury bug? He could transfer, but if he's walking wounded, he's not more likely to play elsewhere. We also would like to play multiple TE sets.

I suppose it would depend on how ready the twin towers are to play as true frosh.

There are a lot of possible players that will open up spots once again "Possible" players not "Guaranteed" players

Zack Darlington (Obvious reasons)
Deiontae Watts (May not qualify)
Elijah Blades (One I really hope doesn't, but like I said possible)
Matt Snyder (The fact Hoppes is the Starter and you never hear his name)
Peyton Newell (Right now he is just a big body)
Sedrck King (Going to get lost in the shuffle)
Avery Anderson (Not seeing the field yet)

You could throw in a couple more DB's too, but most are young like Butler and Bootle and still have a long time to prove themselves, and is why they are not on the list.

Nice list.

if it's Darlington, Newell or King, they have to decide before signing day or the scholarships won't be filled until 2019 class (similar to Johnson and Hannon for the 2018 class)

Snyder has been injured, I could see him leaving but then again he will be the eldest TE on the roster.

Anderson is also possibility, but he is only going to be a RS Soph. So there is still hope. But consider this, since he has already sat out a year to RS, he would lose a year of eligibility if he went to another D1. For that to make sense, he would have to leave before the school year. If he waits until after the season he would only have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Most D1 schools aren't going to give a player 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of eligibility. Especially a player that has no game film to evaluate. Add that to Snyder comments as well.

I believe Blades makes it in. So that leaves Watts.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
A Anderson is still young so I'd think he still has hope. Maybe?

A lot of these young guys still have hope. Quite a few of them would probably be surprised to find that the greatest fans in the country generally spend their hours wondering if underclassmen will quit the team in enough numbers to allow a bigger haul of the next round of cattle.

Reactions: cornhustler
I think we get to 18 scholarships. News guys are already hinting at more attrition.

Nice list.

if it's Darlington, Newell or King, they have to decide before signing day or the scholarships won't be filled until 2019 class (similar to Johnson and Hannon for the 2018 class)

Snyder has been injured, I could see him leaving but then again he will be the eldest TE on the roster.

Anderson is also possibility, but he is only going to be a RS Soph. So there is still hope. But consider this, since he has already sat out a year to RS, he would lose a year of eligibility if he went to another D1. For that to make sense, he would have to leave before the school year. If he waits until after the season he would only have 1 year of eligibility remaining. Most D1 schools aren't going to give a player 2 years of scholarship for 1 year of eligibility. Especially a player that has no game film to evaluate. Add that to Snyder comments as well.

I believe Blades makes it in. So that leaves Watts.

Munson says Watts has signed LOI at a JUCO just in case but still has hope he might qualify.

I'm assuming this means he's basically out.

I think we get to 18 scholarships. News guys are already hinting at more attrition.

"Run the ball" guys on various Husker boards are wondering whether we now have room to take like 5 OL.

I think with the breakdown here, the answer is still no.

1 - Pledger
2 - Brown
3 - Culpepper
4 - 2nd WR
5 - Tutt
6 - Stratford

Those are the "needs and/or most likely to commit". The below are kind of the "wants".

7 - Parsons
8 - Carson
9 - Perkins
10 - Hufanga
11 - Griffith
12 - Avery (for kicks)
13 - Traore
14 - Redmond
15 - Hall

In general we're sort of "full up" just on the needs. Getting to 18 might get us some room with walk-ons (depending on timing) or any "must takes".

Last edited:
The departure of Johnson Jr. and Simmons puts the Huskers at 79 player on scholarship for the 2017 season. Besides Watts, NU is still is waiting on the academic status of 2017 corner recruit Elijah Blades as well.

Walk-on players will eventually take the open scholarships for 2017 in August.

With only 11 scholarship seniors, the Huskers technically have 17 open spots for 2018, but it's expected junior walk-ons Bryan Reimers and Cole Conrad will both go on full-time scholarship in August. Both players were put on scholarship for both the second semester and summer, but nothing will be announced about the fall until August.

https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/reserve-lb-simmons-leaves-husker-football-team

Pernell's take, good insight here.

"Note that some guys like Micah Parsons, Jalen Hall, Talanoa Hufanga, Kamryn Babb and Houston Griffith are not included although they would clearly be "ideal" additions. I am only adding kids who are top of the board guys and are likely to lean towards Nebraska. Maybe guys like Parsons and Griffith (if he makes it) put themselves on that level after their visits to this weekends FNL event, but until then...

Also, I've heard 247 mention that 16 was the target number in this class. With Greg Simmons transferring, Keyshawn Johnson Jr. taking a leave of absence until January (if not permanent), and Deiontae Watts' eligibility in serious question at the moment, I've decided to list 8 guys to add to the 10 known commitments to bring the class to 18.

Without further ado, here is my initial ideal list of guys to finish this class off with:

1. RB TJ Pledger
2. DB Christian Tutt
3. DE Judge Culpepper
4. DE Daniel Carson
5. WR Cameron Brown
6. WR Isaah Crocker
7. OLB Jalen Redmond
8. OL Trey Stratford

OLB Ronnie Perkins and WR Kobe Smith are a couple guys who just missed this list. I like Perkins a bit more than Redmond, but it seems Redmond is the more likely to commit, thus why he was included. I like Crocker a bit more than Smith and they are about equal in likelihood of committing.

I was resigned to the idea of Nebraska skipping a QB and RB in this class, although I have been steadfast in my belief that they should have went harder after Tyler Shough...and now it seems TJ Pledger might be back in play. You don't pass on someone like Pledger, who IMO would be the highest rated RB commit to sign since Aaron Green and Marlon Lucky.

You also probably noticed that I included 2 DE's and 2 WR's instead of just the one more that everyone expects the staff to sign. With Keyshawn's future in doubt, the team is down to 7 scholarship WR's on the roster and one is Zack Darlington...so yeah, they actually have six. If Brown and Crocker or Smith want in, I take four in this class.

As for DE, Carson and Culpepper are so close in grade and are both such great fits in the 3-4, I would take both - especially now with Watts looking juco bound.

I would personally take Perkins and Redmond if they both wanted in and not take a 2nd OL (Stratford). The Huskers have added several promising youngsters in the last two classes that they could probably afford to "just" add Will Farniok. Guys like Matt Sichterman and Broc Bando could play OT or OG so there is some roster flexibility there."

Run the ball guy might lose his mind if we do only take one OL to add to Diaco's crew.

Reactions: HuskerNorm
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT