ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarship Questions

Nov 28, 2016
In the real world, non-performers can be laid off or forced out of positions at work.

Does the same hold true for non-performing scholarship players?

It’s one thing if a player is genuinely working hard and maybe just doesn’t see the field. Can players not putting in the effort and just coasting to get a free education have their scholarship pulled?

In the real world, non-performers can be laid off or forced out of positions at work.

It’s one thing if a player is genuinely working hard and maybe just doesn’t see the field. Can players not putting in the effort and just coasting to get a free education have their scholarship pulled?
Once upon a time, yes. Not sure about now....

That's based on having been a Division II athlete 20+ years ago...a couple of teammates had their pulled...and it had nothing to do with competition performance. It was about work ethic during practice and not having their poop in a group as far as their academics went.

I hope you're referring to this based on those kinds of things, as opposed to having them pulled for not winning games.

Try running a company these days with strong-arm tactics like laying people off for work performance that has not been appraised nor remediated. You won't get applicants. Try dumping a kid from his scholarship...you won't get recruits. The day of mindless employees and players working to the bone for a boss or coach are long gone. Both require work/life balance, and an environment that encourages strong mental health or hefty compensation. Employers that milk their employees for all their worth end up without decent employees.

Once upon a time, yes. Not sure about now....

That's based on having been a Division II athlete 20+ years ago...a couple of teammates had their pulled...and it had nothing to do with competition performance. It was about work ethic during practice and not having their poop in a group as far as their academics went.

I hope you're referring to this based on those kinds of things, as opposed to having them pulled for not winning games.
Not getting passing grades or skipping class should definitely be grounds to pull a scholarship.

In theory if they are putting in the hard work in the weight room, film room, in practice, They should be solid contributors on game day.

I am really curious are there cases currently where some scholarship players are not putting in the hard work necessary to contribute on the field? Is it fair to the program to have these players on scholarship?

I believe the NCAA rules for Division 1 are that scholarships are year-by-year. Each conference though, also has their own rules. The P5 schools all have a rule that each scholarship is 4 years and can't be revoked for performance.

Roster turnover is one of our biggest issues. We had top 25 classes 4 out of the past 5 cycles yet we don't have top 25 talent on the field. Well that's what happens we you don't retain your players.

2015 should be leading our program right now but there are only 9 of them still on the team. Cutting scholarships or encouraging transfers will only cause this trend to continue.

We do not need more turnover of players or coaches. If NU is going to be The Big Red Machine again, it won't come from taking shortcuts!

Reactions: gghulsebus
IMO you tread on a pretty slippery slope if you start kicking kids to the curb. If a kid has legal issues or violates team or university rule sure, but it is tough to measure effort. You would hope coaches do a little due diligence on a kid before they make an offer.

I would use the DL as just one example, the Srs. have had a new coach every year that they have been here. Just looking at the group there is talent there, but are the coaches putting them in a position to succeed?

Reactions: HuskerLLM and nu2u
In my opinion, revoking or not renewing a player's academic scholarship should be only used for good cause … i.e. a major violation of team rules. As Solana Beach mentioned, if you start revoking college scholarships to correct judgment errors made by the coaches during recruiting you are entering dangerous territory, especially if it becomes a practice. In addition to the bad publicity, you will end up facing skeptical if not hostile parents and coaches on the recruiting trail not to mention competitors.

IMO you tread on a pretty slippery slope if you start kicking kids to the curb. If a kid has legal issues or violates team or university rule sure, but it is tough to measure effort. You would hope coaches do a little due diligence on a kid before they make an offer.

I would use the DL as just one example, the Srs. have had a new coach every year that they have been here. Just looking at the group there is talent there, but are the coaches putting them in a position to succeed?
Looks like we were typing similar thoughts at the same time.

For some reason I thought that when we put a walkon on scholarship it was for that year. is there a difference from a player that started on scholarship?

I do think there should be certain performance requirements to stay on scholarship. And I am not talking about on field performance. its the effort off the field and in the classroom that.

If a student is on academic scholarship, they have certain criteria they need to maintain to keep their scholarship. Athletic scholarships need to be the same way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT