ADVERTISEMENT

Scanned tickets for 2019 games

Sodakred

Sophomore
Jul 31, 2018
Chandler, AZ
I realize it is no secret that most teams announce tickets sold/distributed rather than tickets scanned but I just stumbled on an article that noted NU’s high water mark for scanned tickets was about 79k for OSU and the low points were last two games against Wisky and Iowa at 66k and 60k, respectively. Maybe it’s old news to most of you — and perhaps was discussed a month ago after the Iowa game, but I am shocked that we had over 20,000 empty seats for games against Wisky and Iowa.

My question is how long do they scan tickets? All game? Just curious if fans. Could walk in start of the 3rd quarter without paying. I know tv distorts picture but it sure didn’t look like that many empty seat in those games

My question is how long do they scan tickets? All game? Just curious if fans. Could walk in start of the 3rd quarter without paying. I know tv distorts picture but it sure didn’t look like that many empty seat in those games
If the stadium had 90k chair seats I think you would see a different picture on TV. Part of the reason any college stadium looks more full is the extremely narrow width of bench seats, i.e, 70k fans can easily occupy most of the 90k seats. (For example, try showing up with your family of six shortly before kickoff and find your six bench seats.)

Reactions: huskerfan66
I realize it is no secret that most teams announce tickets sold/distributed rather than tickets scanned but I just stumbled on an article that noted NU’s high water mark for scanned tickets was about 79k for OSU and the low points were last two games against Wisky and Iowa at 66k and 60k, respectively. Maybe it’s old news to most of you — and perhaps was discussed a month ago after the Iowa game, but I am shocked that we had over 20,000 empty seats for games against Wisky and Iowa.
There were enough Iowa fans to fill it up with their bulk alone.

Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
the two lowest games for scanned tickets in the last 4 years

were Illinois in 2018 and Iowa 2019

interesting that scanned tickets were higher for the 2017 Iowa game where Riley was clearly on his way out vs the 2019 game where a win would have made us bowl eligible

Pretty easy to figure out. Poor product on the field, with both players and coaches, will always make the bandwagon a bit slippery except for the most loyal of fans. Hell, at the Iowa game even the balloons lacked any enthusiasm!

Never thought about it, but I will be that any college stadium could be 20% empty and it would not be noticed on TV, it just gives the 80% more breathing room.

If I remember right, the weather and roads were bad for the iowa game beforehand,
And when iowa fan let their pet meals out to do their business, and saw them slipping on the pavement and squealing, they stayed home.

ADVERTISEMENT