ADVERTISEMENT

SB halftime shows

It's a 15 minute hurry up and assemble show with big names. Not much can be done to put state of the art sound systems together I'm thinking. didnt hate it but I'm not one for watching much other than the game anyway

That was entirely average. Unless you can bring the Beatles back to life you're going to have a hard time picking a show that appeases everyone. "So they picked Coldplay - who nobody really likes - but nobody entirely hates either."

ALL lives matter. Wish that we could keep this stuff out of these shows.

I am tired of Beyonce. The media promotes her constantly, but it's not like she has a ton of hit songs (I know of one song from 15 years ago). Coldplay is somewhat meh for me. They have a few decent songs but they aren't a band I'd be excited to hear live.

Reactions: leodisflowers
I loved what Coldplay did, and I didn't expect to. Loved Mars, never been a Beyonce fan so whatevs on her, then the compliation at the end with all of them was good I thought.

Reactions: 94husker
If U2 called in sick, Coldplay would be their cover band. If Prince called in sick, Bruno Mars would be his cover band.

I'm good with Beyoncé. She is stacked. I didn't hear her new track. didn't need to. Her curves are good enough for me.

That was entirely average. Unless you can bring the Beatles back to life you're going to have a hard time picking a show that appeases everyone. "So they picked Coldplay - who nobody really likes - but nobody entirely hates either."
Wrong. I entirely hate Coldplay.

Reactions: SeaOfRed75
I'm hoping next year they can get Esteban to do the halftime show!:D

esteban-guitar-lessons-image.jpg

Reactions: jimbosc
There was a stretch where you had to be in the over 50 (or 60?) club to play at the Super Bowl halftime show. There was a conscious effort to appeal to younger audiences, which I'd guess has been fairly successful.

I like Coldplay, but frankly, I don't think they were the right choice for this show. Coldplay always wanted to be as big as U2, and talent-wise, they are dripping in talent, but they just seem to be off just enough to not have the kind of mass appeal they longed for. If they were, they'd have never had to announce the addition of Beyonce and Bruno before to build up excitement for the aforementioned younger audiences.

I imagine the pendulum might swing back once again and I predict an old(er) school band may perform again in the next year or so, but since so many of the classics are dying off, I'm not sure who they would get.

There was a stretch where you had to be in the over 50 (or 60?) club to play at the Super Bowl halftime show. There was a conscious effort to appeal to younger audiences, which I'd guess has been fairly successful.

I like Coldplay, but frankly, I don't think they were the right choice for this show. Coldplay always wanted to be as big as U2, and talent-wise, they are dripping in talent, but they just seem to be off just enough to not have the kind of mass appeal they longed for. If they were, they'd have never had to announce the addition of Beyonce and Bruno before to build up excitement for the aforementioned younger audiences.

I imagine the pendulum might swing back once again and I predict an old(er) school band may perform again in the next year or so, but since so many of the classics are dying off, I'm not sure who they would get.

I like Coldplay also, but to me their songs are too quiet for a Super Bowl game. And I'm very vocal about my love for Bruno Mars - that guy is incredibly talented. I agree about the younger audience appeal - my 20 something kid liked the show, esp the fact that they used the whole stadium with kids with violins, marching bands, etc. and the part where the 3 sang together. I'm just glad that they didn't haul out the 70 year old rockers with their botoxed faces. Those guys are scary - esp on high def tv. Winking

Reactions: 94husker
If U2 called in sick, Coldplay would be their cover band. If Prince called in sick, Bruno Mars would be his cover band.

I'm good with Beyoncé. She is stacked. I didn't hear her new track. didn't need to. Her curves are good enough for me.
We all see things differently. I saw a young mother trying to sqeeze into a skimpy outfit that was designed for someone 20 pounds lighter and ten years younger.

I have no problem with any of the performers but I try not to listen to the products of the entertainment industry. Somewhere, somehow the control and production of art was wrestled away from the artist and given to the suits (at least for pop music), which I find tragic.

That's not to take away from the music, because there's no denying it can be very good.

If Coldplay didn't get so popular, I think I would really like them (which I admit, is ridiculous). They sort of remind me of what happened to the Lumineers. Got so popular so fast, all of a sudden their concerts are filled with dudes wearing Affliction.

We all see things differently. I saw a young mother trying to sqeeze into a skimpy outfit that was designed for someone 20 pounds lighter and ten years younger.
What can I say, I like some thickness. These threads always make this board look old, white and curmudgeony. That's not directed at anyone in particular as I didn't enjoy the halftime show either.

Reactions: HuskerDana
I am tired of Beyonce. The media promotes her constantly, but it's not like she has a ton of hit songs (I know of one song from 15 years ago).

I understand being tired of her, but she has a TON of hit songs.

Beyonce's solo lyrics were incredibly racist.
I'm glad someone brought this up. When it happened, I was like what did she just say? It made me wonder if I mis heard something or what.. and the song had so much anger in it.. I was pretty shocked that they allowed that in the show. I thought it made her look incredibly tasteless and low class.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm glad someone brought this up. When it happened, I was like what did she just say? It made me wonder if I mis heard something or what.. and the song had so much anger in it.. I was pretty shocked that they allowed that in the show. I thought it made her look incredibly tasteless and low class.

Cliff's? I missed it

ADVERTISEMENT