ADVERTISEMENT

SB/Corn Nation Report Card: BYU

There were flashes of good play from the secondary but as the article stated - the coaches played with a ton of cushion and gave up shorter passes. You forgot one grade. Banker's DC grade - F

If Gerry doesn't get his hands on that ball it was going for 6 for BYU. From the stands it looked like Gerry was way out of position. I don't know if he was setting up the QB for that pick, or if he got lucky and made a heck of a play.

I'm glad he did, but you can put me in the corner of not being impressed with our defensive game plan.

Boy do we need a pass rush in a hurry. Our DLine play was not good. I expected more out of the middle guys, knowing that there was nothing flashy about our DE's.

The biggest problems I see are:

if these coaches go away from the run as they did in this game it will be a major problem

The defense is mess from top to bottom. While we did better in stopping the run we could not defend against a running QB and the cushion given in the secondary was absolutely horrible. The defenses problems are coaching and I have very little hope they improve a bunch

I truly hope I am wrong but we could be in for a 2007 type season unless some things change in a hurry

We won't know much more until we play da U.
Based on pass defense alone and the lack of a pass rush we are going to really struggle against Miami, Illinois could be a problem, the QB for both min and Wisconsin look better this year and MSU will destroy us. If we do not fix this one area even though we have a lot of problems we could not go bowling this year

Since we weren't getting much pressure on Hill, were we not blitzing because he could take it to the house? We're we respecting his athletic ability?

If Kaaya is not gonna hurt us with his feet, will we see a more attacking, blitzing D to get pressure?

I'm asking these questions cuz I don't know...

Since we weren't getting much pressure on Hill, were we not blitzing because he could take it to the house? We're we respecting his athletic ability?

If Kaaya is not gonna hurt us with his feet, will we see a more attacking, blitzing D to get pressure?

I'm asking these questions cuz I don't know...
We imo will be blitzing a ton this year based on the inability of the line to get pressure. With the amount of cushion in the secondary and that many times the corners were beat deep. An accurate QB could shred us, add in that a team with a decent rushing game will keep the defense off balance and we have real issues

Based on pass defense alone and the lack of a pass rush we are going to really struggle against Miami, Illinois could be a problem, the QB for both min and Wisconsin look better this year and MSU will destroy us. If we do not fix this one area even though we have a lot of problems we could not go bowling this year
MSU could have lost to the North East Central Michigan Broncos who had two of their top players out. They aren't destroying anyone.

There were flashes of good play from the secondary but as the article stated - the coaches played with a ton of cushion and gave up shorter passes. You forgot one grade. Banker's DC grade - F

The defense played way better than last year. We tackled well, didn't waste time out after timeout to just get lined up. We were short handed but many guys stepped up. They were mixing up cushions all day and that had to do with the huge height issues Banker made adjustments and made some very good calls. An f is laughable, easily c+ or B- He had some good calls but we just lack a randy Gregory off the edge. I am encouraged from what I saw and even more so watching the game again!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT