ADVERTISEMENT

Saw this on twitter

Yossarian23

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 9, 2009

Presumably, a GA type position...Quayshon Alexander's HS DL coach.

Edit: originally said 'obviously', not 'presumably'...I don't know enough to assume anything is obvious.

Reactions: GretnaShawn
hiring a high school coach to be a GA because the guy wants to try to get in to college coaching at a crappy salary isn't exactly unethical. I would bet that the topic never came up until long after they had the commitment and had multiple contacts with the guy. Now IF they were hiring his mom or dad to some "new" position in the athletic department at a 6 figure salary, then maybe you can scream foul. You get to know a coach through recruiting his player. Eventually he expresses a desire to get in to college coaching. You like him and you have a GA position open. You hire him. Nothing sinister about that. Happens frequently. The difference is that it isn't some former Husker player or local coach like we seemed to always hire as a GA before.

what do you mean? they hire these high school guys to get recruits. they really aren't hiding anything.
Why do they need to hide this? It's done all over the place. If it was an assistant coach position then it would be a bigger deal. Hiring a GA position with a kid's coach is fine by me. Plus, he may have some in-roads to other coaches in the future. If I remember right, Briles does this quite frequently to stay good with the HS coaches in Texas.

i think i remember ed was driving a truck at the time, wasnt coaching.

they got a nc out of it, so it was worth it.

Reactions: huskergal99
Why do they need to hide this? It's done all over the place. If it was an assistant coach position then it would be a bigger deal. Hiring a GA position with a kid's coach is fine by me. Plus, he may have some in-roads to other coaches in the future. If I remember right, Briles does this quite frequently to stay good with the HS coaches in Texas.
I personally didn't really think it had any real significance, but some people are going to make it out into something it's not.. I can see by some of the responses, people already think it's tied to recruiting, which it isn't.

I personally didn't really think it had any real significance, but some people are going to make it out into something it's not.. I can see by some of the responses, people already think it's tied to recruiting, which it isn't.
So we scoured the nation looking for a really good grad assistant and just happened to come across a high school dline coach (not head coach...not coordinator...high school dline coach) of one of our recruits? And you think this isn't in any way tied to recruiting?

He played at one of my alma maters at Southern Connecticut State University where he played as a TE. He had three catches in his career along with three tackles. Then he spent one year as a dline coach at his former high school before we picked him up.

http://www.southernctowls.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3563

So we scoured the nation looking for a really good grad assistant and just happened to come across a high school dline coach (not head coach...not coordinator...high school dline coach) of one of our recruits? And you think this isn't in any way tied to recruiting?

You think the coaches (for any team) scour the nation for grad assistants? I think they usually find people they know, like and think they have the potential to be good coaches. People like former players or coaches they meet on the recruiting trail. How else would they find them? Film? Online job postings?

Reactions: ctscts and newAD
You think the coaches (for any team) scour the nation for grad assistants? I think they usually find people they know, like and think they have the potential to be good coaches. People like former players or coaches they meet on the recruiting trail. How else would they find them? Film? Online job postings?
Ummmmm...applications would be one way to find them. We hired a guy who played on a horrible team, at an NAIA kind of level, who had three catches in his career as a TE. Then he spent one year as a DL high school coach for Alexander. I'm fine with the hire...but you are smoking some funny stuff if you think this has zero to do with recruiting.

Ummmmm...applications would be one way to find them. We hired a guy who played on a horrible team, at an NAIA kind of level, who had three catches in his career as a TE. Then he spent one year as a DL high school coach for Alexander. I'm fine with the hire...but you are smoking some funny stuff if you think this has zero to do with recruiting.

Let's see, Nebraska has been recruiting QA for months. I'd imagine that some of our coaches have had at least a few conversations with his position coach, along with his HS coach over this time.

So maybe just maybe this position coach took advantage of his contacts with the staff and spoke to them about any GA opportunities? Maybe there was sincere interest on his part, and maybe the staff saw something in him?

How does anyone know that QA knowing him for 1 year would have any effect on his recruiting decision? Had he been at the school all 4 year, I could see more suspicion. Has the uncertainty on his commitment lessened due to this development?

Does it look questionable? Sure. Doesn't mean that it automatically is.

What does his playing career/level of play have to do with it. Playing at a high level/being a good player doesn't correlate to being a good coach.

Do you know how much of a cluster it would be to post a job opening for a GA at a major football program? There would be so many unqualified applications it would be crazy. And how would the staff know if the applicatant would be a good fit? They would have to extensively interview the wualified applicants. Wouldn't it be more efficient to get a former player or a person you meet on the recruiting trail?

I get what you are saying, but using application process is a make it look good thing as well. If we hired a guy off the street via an application process I would think the masses would crucify the candidate and MR if hired.

Stick to your original statement........"we scoured the nation". Do you really think any schools scours the nation for top GA assistants? Or does the hyperbole just help that strawman you like to prop up so much?

Stick to your original statement........"we scoured the nation". Do you really think any schools scours the nation for top GA assistants? Or does the hyperbole just help that strawman you like to prop up so much?
Good get on hyperbole. Hyperbole is used to show the ridiculousness of the argument that we hired a GA with three career catches at an NAIA-type school who spent a year as a high school dline coach because he was a great find...and this had nothing to do with recruiting :rolleyes:.

It has everything to do with recruiting. I'm sure Riley knows we need to make inroads to the east coast so why not hire someone who can help in that vain. Look...this may not have anything directly to do with Alexander. But to say this doesn't have to do with recruiting is fool-hardy. As I have already said, I have zero problems with this. Why not get in good with the high school coaches in the areas you hope to recruit?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT