ADVERTISEMENT

Savage. Banker fired over...

It's the same tired Pelini supporters. I suspect in some twisted way somehow they think they are being loyal to Frank or Tom.

Um...no it's not. I can't stand Pelini, but I think this could have been handled better. It has been 2 weeks since the season ended, and if Riley was the only person that made the decision, he could have done it before people went out on the road to recruit. That's why I think Eichorst had a role in this too.

Reactions: Morgan747
This will blow over for Riley. Shoot, Diaco also got a phone call when he got fired. Those things happen.

However, let's get the timeline right. Diaco didn't just come available three days ago. He was fired on Dec. 26th for both the way the last four games went down (outscored 130 to 16) and the lack of recruiting prowess this year (last in AAC and 108th in the nation).

If Riley was saying, "Holy cow...we have to get Diaco now" it seems strange to wait over two weeks to make it happen especially in a prime recruiting month.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Shit happens. People who have dined on the gravy train for too long based on friendship and not performance really don't have a right to complain. How many millions has Banker earned as a result of Riley?

Reactions: little a
Um...no it's not. I can't stand Pelini, but I think this could have been handled better. It has been 2 weeks since the season ended, and if Riley was the only person that made the decision, he could have done it before people went out on the road to recruit. That's why I think Eichorst had a role in this too.

Agree, don't necessarily have a problem with firing Banker over the phone....it's the timing of it that is confusing to me. It's been over two weeks since the season ended. I doubt Riley just woke up on Wednesday and decided on a whim to fire a guy he's worked with for 20 years..so why not do it before he went on the road recruiting?

When a HC is on the hotseat himself, friendships do not matter. It's every man for himself.

A year from now... the AD will fire Riley the same way.:p

I sooo hope you are wrong, but I suppose the players are going to be learning the nuances of a new defense, so we could struggle next year with the more difficult schedule.

I'm glad we have a new DC, but this could have been handled better. Hate to see Banker get let go this way by a longtime friend.

Reactions: regibson1
Again I ask, nobody has answered yet, did we upgrade the DC position? If the answer is yes, who really gives a damn how Banker was fired. It happens in all business, I have had to fire 150 people in 3 months, it sucks, but had to be done.
Patience Grasshopper. When you can snatch the pebble from my hand, we will have a great new DC.

Well the circumstances are unfortunate. However Banker had not been in the office preceding his trip as he had been in Oregon. Therefore Riley had not been given the chance to tell him face to face. When news broke that Banker was being pulled off of the road, the story would have beaten him back to Lincoln. It was done when it was done how it was done. And now it is done.

When you get fired and then run to the media like this it can get nasty. Riley will handle this like a pro. I get that Banker is upset. I also get that Sam and Kneepads are hacks who didn't bother corroborating the story and get the other side from Riley. Could have kept some ugly business behind closed doors.
You like to make a huge point about the staff and athletic director being professionals. But the way a lot of things have been handled lately has been very unprofessional. You shouldn't fire someone over the phone when you can do it face to face.

You like to make a huge point about the staff and athletic director being professionals. But the way a lot of things have been handled lately has been very unprofessional. You shouldn't fire someone over the phone when you can do it face to face.
I just don't get the timing of this. Why has there been nearly three weeks transpire with Diaco being available. If Riley is calling the shots and feeling like a change should be made, why not make this happen earlier? We now have two weeks wasted in getting Diaco on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: Morgan747
I just don't get the timing of this. Why has there been nearly three weeks transpire with Diaco being available. If Riley is calling the shots and feeling like a change should be made, why not make this happen earlier? We now have two weeks wasted in getting Diaco on the recruiting trail.

Tom, you love throwing darts at a board but at some point, you'll realize all the hole marks left in the drywall.

Our #1 choice was an NFL coach that would only talk through an agent till his season ended. Which finally happened this past weekend and he decided to stay in the NFL. Supposedly, he found out or felt there's an NFL DC gig he'll have a good shot at this off-season.

Diaco was our second choice and it all happened very quickly, courtesy of three other teams in pursuit of him. You don't ever fire someone till you have his replacement all but signed. And that's what happened.

1. NFL guy

2. Diaco

3. NFL guy
4. Smaller conference DC

I like Banker, guy didn't pull any punches and represented our program extremely well off the field. Everything one could ask of from a coach except, he wasn't paid half a million for off the field success.

The timeline question is a good one, not sure what the answer is... but it was the dead period up until yesterday, so I wouldn't say we wasted time on the recruiting trail... at best we lost phone time. I'm sure that's a problem, but less so than losing time on the recruiting trail.

The timing of this made it obvious to me that we already had someone in place. Why else would we wait until now? We could have made the move right after the season, like we did with Reed. Oh yeah, we already had someone lined up when we let Reed go, it's almost like we know what we are doing and are upgrading our staff.

Our #1 choice was an NFL coach that would only talk through an agent till his season ended. Which finally happened this past weekend and he decided to stay in the NFL. Supposedly, he found out or felt there's an NFL DC gig he'll have a good shot at this off-season.
Care to share which NFL coach? If not, position coach or DC? TIA

Tom, you love throwing darts at a board but at some point, you'll realize all the hole marks left in the drywall.

Diaco was our second choice and it all happened very quickly, courtesy of three other teams in pursuit of him. You don't ever fire someone till you have his replacement all but signed. And that's what happened.

1. NFL guy

2. Diaco.
If the NFL guy won't talk to you, he's not all that interested. If this played out like the above, then you are telling us that the only reason we got Diaco was because this coach's team lost last weekend? If they had won, then Diaco would be yelling "pig sooey" or jumping around in Madison...and we would still be stuck with Banker next year?

If the NFL guy won't talk to you, he's not all that interested. If this played out like the above, then you are telling us that the only reason we got Diaco was because this coaches team lost last weekend? If they had won, then Diaco would be yelling "pig sooey" or jumping around in Madison?
That's the way it works when there are a lot of moving parts. We would all be talking about Haslett's run in the NFL or Tosh Loupi's recruiting chops and we would be none the wiser.

Care to share which NFL coach? If not, position coach or DC? TIA

Position guy. This is assuming everything that's been shared with me is accurate.

If the NFL guy won't talk to you, he's not all that interested. If this played out like the above, then you are telling us that the only reason we got Diaco was because this coaches team lost last weekend? If they had won, then Diaco would be yelling "pig sooey" or jumping around in Madison...and we would still be stuck with Banker next year?

Don't act ignorant on how things work. I'm not gonna play your little game.

Or, Riley very well could've passed on the NFL guy had they won, due to timing. I'm not interested in speculating about it.

Diaco > Banker, that's all I give a damn about.

Position guy. This is assuming everything that's been shared with me is accurate.

Don't act ignorant on how things work. I'm not gonna play your little game.

Or, Riley very well could've passed on the NFL guy had they won, due to timing. I'm not interested in speculating about it.

Diaco > Banker, that's all I give a damn about.
We'll see if Diaco > Banker. For Riley's sake he better be! The 2 years Riley wasted could end up biting him in the ass. I assure you there are some very influential boosters that don't find all this comedy one bit funny.

That's standard practice on here to call you a troll if your thoughts don't align with H.T.O and his servants.
I saw that post of yours in thread they locked. It was funny as hell. Lol. I am shocked they didn't ban you. It was all true though. Lol

We'll see if Diaco > Banker. For Riley's sake he better be! The 2 years Riley wasted could end up biting him in the ass. I assure you there are some very influential boosters that don't find all this comedy one bit funny.
If you're not a business owner or in HR you should be. Sounds like you would always make the perfect hires.

That's standard practice on here to call you a troll if your thoughts don't align with H.T.O and his servants.

Ironic after what you said in the other thread, that's since been deleted.

Everyone knows it's Tulsa Tom under a troll account.

Reactions: timnsun
Look chief, Riley is on a shorter leash now after he wasted 2 years. You don't comprehend well do you?
This season's 9-4 record did not effect Riley's tenure here for better or worse.

Besides what does that have to do with you knowing how to make the perfect hires right out the gate every time?

This season's 9-4 record did not effect Riley's tenure here for better or worse.

Besides what does that have to do with you knowing how to make the perfect hires right out the gate every time?
Do I have to draw you a map? Geez you're stupid!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT