ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday: Nebraska vs. Michigan State (Huskers win 5-2)

MSU's starter today Jake Lowery (6'3, 235, RHP, RS Jr.) is a converted reliever. His last two starts (at Northwestern, vs. Iowa): 20 strikeouts, just one walk. Might be tough sledding again today.

Edit: And a .195 Opp BA. Oof.

Last edited:
Top 1st

Derek Burkamper on the mound. Two out single to CF for MSU. K ends the frame

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff single to RF for Miller! Roskam also singles to RF! Alvarado singles to LF to load the bases! Wilkening grounds into a 5-4-3 triple play. That sucks.

That was rough. Anyone at the game or streaming the video on BTN Plus or whatever? How'd it look? Radio guys seemed to think the ball was fielded in foul territory.

Bottom 2nd

Leadoff single to RF for Miller! Roskam also singles to RF! Alvarado singles to LF to load the bases! Wilkening grounds into a 5-4-3 triple play. That sucks.

This team finds new ways to be inept with RISP. I usually just hope they stay out of a double play.....who knew there was something worse?

Reactions: k9_r and saluno22
Per the radio crew:
First triple play converted against Nebraska since Texas A&M in 2005.
Nebraska last turned a triple play in 2007.

Top 3rd

An E6 throwing error allows a one out runner. Next better grounds out to the pitcher but the runner advances to 2nd on the play. RBI single to LF and the runner advances to 2nd on the throw home. K ends the frame.

Per the radio crew:
First triple play converted against Nebraska since Texas A&M in 2005.
Nebraska last turned a triple play in 2007.
I remember that triple play from 2005. I think it was Daniel Bruce who hit it. I think we ended up winning the game though.

Reactions: saluno22
Bottom 3rd

Leadoff single through the left side for Schlepp followed by a SAC bunt by Klenke to move him to 2nd. Altavilla grounds out to 1st but Schlepp moves to 3rd on the play. Mojo flies out to RF

Top 4th

One out walk for MSU. Next batter flies out to RF. Shallow fly ball lands for a hit in RF to put runners on the corners but the next batter Grounds out to end the threat

Fast moving game today. Need to find some way to disrupt Lowery, he's been on cruise control since that triple play.

Top 5th

Another E6 gets the leadoff runner on for MSU. Single to RF puts runners on 1st and 2nd. SAC bunt moves the runners to 2nd and 3rd. SAC fly scores the runner from 3rd. K ends the inning.

Both runs scored so far are unearned.

Top 6th

Leadoff single through the right side for MSU. A 6-4-3 DP clears the bags. Next batter walks. Groundout to 2nd ends the frame

Bottom 6th

Leadoff single to right centerfield for Altavilla. Mojo with an RBI single to left center!!! Schreiber singles past SS! Pitching change for MSU. Miller with a bases clearing 2 RBI double down the RF line!!!! Roskam Ks. Pitching change for MSU. Alvarado grounds out to SS. Wilkening flies out to deep CF.

Top 8th

Chad Luensmann now in the game to relieve Burkamper. A couple groundouts and two out 4 pitch walk for MSU. A HBP puts another on. And a slow roller gets the 3rd out for the inning (2-3 putout)

This team finds new ways to be inept with RISP. I usually just hope they stay out of a double play.....who knew there was something worse?

Being taught to hit for base hits and no power leads to many double play attempts.

Im trying to find out how many DP's Nebraska has hit into this year. They are 8th in the country in DP's turned with 51 but not sure how many we have hit into.

Last edited:
Bottom 8th

Leadoff double to LF for Mojo (was a pop fly in front of the wall but the fielder lost it in the sun). Schreiber walks on a full count. Miller walks the bases loaded on four pitches. Pitching change for MSU. Cronenbold in to pinch hit for Roskam and he walks on 5 pitches and a run scores from 3rd! Alvarado with a SAC fly to CF scores another one! Wilkening singles through the right side to load the bases. Another pitching change for MSU. Schlepp Ks. Raburn in to pinch hit for Klenke and he pops out to 2nd.

Being taught to hit for base hits and no power leads to many double play attempts.

Im trying to find out how many DP's Nebraska has hit into this year. They are 8th in the country in DP's turned with 51 but not sure how many we have hit into.
Huskers.com's stats has 36 GDP, but it only has our opponents at 40 so I'm not sure where the other 11 are.

Top 9th

Luis Alvarado now in to close it up for the Huskers. One out single to CF. Next two batters walk to load the bases. Next batter Ks as Wilkening is able to snag a foul tipped ball for out #3. Fly out to LF ends the game and ties the series!

Always have to make things interesting at the end. This moves us back into first place(assuming Maryland doesn't score 8 runs in the 9th inning) and also clinches us a spot in the B1G tournament, I believe.

ADVERTISEMENT