ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday, May 8th: Nebraska vs. Indiana - (Huskers win 7-6)

Top 1st

Cade Povich strikes out the side to get the game started for the Huskers on the mound.

Bottom 1st

One out E6 throwing error puts Hallmark at 1st.
Schwellenbach gets called for interference on a throw to 2nd from the catcher for out #2.
Hallmark steals 2nd.
Chick grounds out to end the inning.

0-0

With two wins over Rutgers, Indiana’s lead over Nebraska is now 1-1/2 games.

Cade Povich has 6 strikeouts through 2 innings.

The Hoosiers are saving their Sunday starter until tomorrow, choosing to start a guy who has thrown 22 innings in 2021.

A win today is imperative.

Top 2nd

Povich K’s the first 2 batters but does give up a full count walk before eventually striking out the side.

Bottom 2nd

Anderson with a leadoff infield single to 3rd.
Roskam reaches on an E6 fielding error and no the runners move on to 2nd and 3rd on the SAC bunt from Everitt.
Mojo with an RBI groundout to SS.
Steil with an RBI double down the 3rd base line!
Acker is gets on with a HBP
Hallmark lines out to 3rd.

2-0 Huskers

Top 3rd

One out walk for Indiana.
The next batter grounds the lead runner out at 2nd but a low throw to 1st in the double play attempt is wild which advances the runner to 2nd but a K ends the top half.

Bottom 3rd

Chick with a one out single but is thrown out trying to stretch it into a double.
Anderson K’s to end the inning.

Top 3rd

One out walk for Indiana.
The next batter grounds the lead runner out at 2nd but a low throw to 1st in the double play attempt is wild which advances the runner to 2nd but a K ends the top half.

Bottom 3rd

Chick with a one out single but is thrown out trying to stretch it into a double.
Anderson K’s to end the inning.
I liked the hustle, but probably not the best decision by Cam.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Radio guy has cleared up a mystery. Ben Mclaughlin just said having a all turf field was required for hosting a pod.

Reactions: Can o' corn
Top 4th

One out solo homerun for Indiana for their first hit of the game.
The next batter walks.
Povich with K’s 8 and 9 to end the top half.

Bottom 4th

Leadoff walk and stollen base by Everitt to start the bottom half of the inning.
An infield single from Mojo puts runners on 1st and 2nd!
Mojo was technically caught off first but a horrible throw goes wild scoring Everitt and sending Mojo to 3rd!!!
Mojo scores on a suicide squeeze SAC bunt from Steil!!!
Acker reaches 1st on an E5 throwing error.
Acker swipes 2nd for the stolen base and then takes 3rd on a WP.
Hallmark walks and then steals 2nd.
Schwellenbach K’s to end the inning.

4-1 Huskers

Reactions: sklarbodds
He went on to say that it would allow play in the rain w/o worrying about any ground crew needed and causing delays.

But then I wonder why allowing pods at a park w/o lights. Rutgers got no lights.
If only the grounds crew had a giant sponge. I think that field is a major safety concern because of the water especially on the base paths.

Well this sucks with Povich pitching lights out..No way he comes back if this last longer than 1/2 hour..

Reactions: sklarbodds
Anyone remember what makes it an official game? 5 innings or 7 innings?
We only needed to get through the top of the 5th. I checked the radar and there were some pretty colors. According to Accuweather it's supposed to stop raining in about 30 minutes. We'll see. It's not a big storm.

Reactions: HuskersNC
It's 4:30 there and they have no field lighting. Hope this game gets finished.

This is what didn’t make sense why have a pod on a field that has no lights and the best facility in baseball in the conference didn’t get a pod..
Another brain fart by the higher ups in the B1G..

Reactions: Can o' corn
Anyone remember what makes it an official game? 5 innings or 7 innings?
10 run rule is 7 innings, 5th inning to call a game if I remember correctly. I rember that Sunday NU/UT game at Haymarket in 05 when UT had to catch a plane to get back home and game was called in the 8th giving Texas the win and the series. Personally imo, UT chicken shitted their way out of it as we starting run on all cylinders and starting to hit the shit out of them.

Last edited:
Michigan State and Purdue have grass fields. And lights! Both host pods in 2021.

Penn State has grass. And lights! It does not host a pod. Not even one at a neutral site like Nebraska did.

Last edited:
10 run rule is 7 innings, 4th inning to call a game if I remember correctly. I rember that Sunday NU/UT game at Haymarket in 05 when UT had to catch a plane to get back home and game was called in the 4th giving Texas the win and the series. Personally imo, UT chicken shitted their way out of it as we starting run on all cylinders and starting to hit the shit out of them.
? The Sunday game against Texas was called after 8 innings due to travel, and Nebraska had blown a 5-2 lead.

20 minutes expected to resume. This isn't good for us, gonna need to use the bullpen for extended innings in game 1. Maybe Povich will attempt to come back out, but I can't imagine the coaches allowing it.

The radar forecast shows rain clearing out about 6:00 Piscataway time. But it can always let up enough to play while rain is still falling. Sunset is at 8:00.

The game will probably get finished but I doubt Povich will be able to continue. Nebraska will need to use more bullpen than it should have. With its ace dealing it and in game one of a four-game weekend. Lovely.

Since most professional baseball games are nine innings long, the fifth inning is used as the threshold for an official game. If the visiting team is leading, or the game is tied, the end of the fifth inning marks this point.

There is your answer

Same rules apply to college.

Reactions: scarletred
20 minutes expected to resume. This isn't good for us, gonna need to use the bullpen for extended innings in game 1. Maybe Povich will attempt to come back out, but I can't imagine the coaches allowing it.
One thing though, Indiana's bullpen is already in worse shape than ours.

Reactions: Wyldcard
ADVERTISEMENT