ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday, May 1st: Rutgers at Nebraska - (Huskers lose 6-5)

Top 1st

Leadoff E5 to start the game as Anderson loses an easy pop fly right out of his glove but fortunately he is later thrown out trying to steal 2nd.
An infield single puts another on but a 5-4-3 DP ends the top half.

Bottom 1st

Acker with a leadoff solo homerun to left center!!!
Hallmark grounds out to 2nd.
Schwellenbach pops up to left.
Anderson walks.
Chick lines out.

1-0 Huskers

Anyone else having BTN+ issues? The game keeps locking up in the top of the 1st. Softball is coming in fine though.

Anyone else having BTN+ issues? The game keeps locking up in the top of the 1st. Softball is coming in fine though.
Just received this...

Apologies for the delayed start. There are technical issues impacting the start of the live stream. Production and engineering teams are working quickly to resolve

Top 2nd

1-2-3 for Hroch

Bottom 2nd

Roskam with a one out solo shot of his own to make it a 2-0 ballgame.
Gunner reaches on a fielding error.
Steil gets on with a HBP.
Acker walks.
Hallmark with an RBI single Gunner is thrown out at trying to take home.
Schwellenbach pops out to end the inning.

3-0 Huskers

Top 3rd

2 out walk for Hroch but a pop out ends the top half.

Bottom 3rd

Anderson flies out and Chick reaches on an E6 throwing error.
Foster flies out to deep CF.
Roskam with a single through the right side to put runners on the corners.
Gunner grounds out to 3rd to end the inning.

Top 4th

1-2-3 for Hroch

Bottom 4th

One out double for Acker.
Hallmark pops out to SS.
Schwellenbach with a 2 RBI bomb to left center!!!
Pitching change for Rutgers.
Anderson with a liner to CF reaches 1st.
Chick with a 4 pitch walk.
Foster grounds out to end the inning.

5-0 Huskers

Top 5th

One out single up the middle and an RBI double outs Rutgers on the board.
An error by Steil as he drops a pop up puts runners on 1st and 2nd.
Schwellenbach catches his pop up for the 2nd out.
Infield single off of Hroch’s foot loads the bases.
Groundout ends the threat.

Bottom 5th

Leadoff single up the middle for Roskam.
Gunner with the SAC bunt to move Roskam to 2nd.
Steil flies out to CF.
Acker reaches on a HBP.
Hallmark K’s.

5-1 Huskers

Top 6th

Leadoff single for Rutgers.
the next batter grounds out to 1st but the runner does advance to 2nd.
A passed ball advances the runner to 3rd.
Hroch K’s the next batter.
Schwellenbach makes a singing snag at a groin ball to get the 3rd out at 1st.

Bottom 6th

Two out HBP for Chick who then steals 2nd.
Foster with a walk as Chick steals 3rd.
Roskam grounds out to end the inning.

5-1 Huskers

Top 7th

Bragg now in to pitch and gives up a leadoff walk.
a pop out for the 1st out.
2 run homerun for Rutgers makes it a 5-3 game.
a solo homerun makes it a 5-4 game.
Schwellenbach now coming into the game to pitch.
Single through the right side for Rutgers.
A 4-6-3 DP stops the bleeding.

Bottom 7th

Cervantes works a leadoff walk.
Everitt in to pinch hit for Steil and he K’s.
Acker K’s but Cervantes steals 2nd on the play.
Hallmark grounds out to end the inning and strand their 12th runner on base for the game.

5-4 Huskers

Top 8th

Rutgers with a one out walk.
a pop up single to CF puts runners on 1st and 2nd.
An RBI single to LF ties the game at 5-5.
The next batter K’s.
Line drive out to a diving Chick to stop the damage at one run.

Bottom 8th

Leadoff walk for Schwellenbach.
Anderson hits into a 6-4-3 DP.
Chick flies out to CF

5-5

Top 9th

Leadoff infield single off Schwellenbach for Rutgers and a SAC bunt moves him to 2nd.
Pop up to Everitt for out #2.
An RBI single to LF to give Rutgers a 6-5 lead.
K ends the top half.

Bottom 9th

Mojo with an infield single up the middle and an E4 throwing error goes out of play sending Mojo to 2nd.
Roskam grounds out to 2nd and advances to Mojo to 3rd on the play.
Cervantes lines out to 2nd.
Everitt fouls out the bed the game and lose the series.

Rutgers wins 6-5

The bullpen had another unacceptable outing but let’s be honest. There were many chances to extend to a 6-8 run lead that were not cashed in. A team loss.

The bullpen had another unacceptable outing but let’s be honest. There were many chances to extend to a 6-8 run lead that were not cashed in. A team loss.

Too many left on yesterday blowing a 5-2 lead..This one hurt..
Need to avoid a sweep, not to mention NU has Indiana and Rutgers in a pod next weekend..

Reactions: sklarbodds
Well this was rude. No way for a guest to treat a host. After we finish with Rutgers today we should never invite them back.

Probably for the best we don’t host this year. Kids aren’t ready for the added pressure yet. Those younger arms seemed pretty affected by the crowds. We will get there someday though.

What younger arms? Bragg is the only young arm that struggled.

Wynne, 4th year junior, blew a save after having a .96 ERA and lights out in all but 1 other outing.

Schwellenbach is an All American candidate as a junior with a 0.00 ERA entering the weekend. He's been nails all season. Blew the save Saturday.

This weekend, 2 guys that have performed at an extremely high level struggled. It wasn't because of people in the stands. It's baseball.

Reactions: k9_r and sklarbodds

Wynne, 4th year junior, blew a save after having a .96 ERA and lights out in all but 1 other outing.

Schwellenbach is an All American candidate as a junior with a 0.00 ERA entering the weekend. He's been nails all season. Blew the save Saturday.

This weekend, 2 guys that have performed at an extremely high level struggled. It wasn't because of people in the stands. It's baseball.
100%

The point is the pressure seemed to get to them a little. I don’t remember any of these arms facing this pressure before. All part of the learning process is my whole point. Younger may not be the right word. Experienced arms more or less. they haven’t played in front of a home crowd of that size in a couple years. It does play a role. I’m aware of the stats I know how baseball works so don’t be so insulting.

Not sure how my response was insulting, but that's your opinion.

Schwellenbach has millions of dollars, literally, riding every time he picks up the ball to pitch for us. An extra thousand fans, if that's what the box scores claimed, with zero energy, didn't get to him. 20+ radar guns & video cameras have been on a couple of our guys (Schwellenbach, Povich, Wynne) at a majority of the games this season. That's pressure. And they've performed. One needs to keep in mind he just came off his longest outing in 4 years, on 5 days rest.

We played in front of large crowds our last home series against Maryland. All 3 games, those crowds were a lot more electric and equally as packed.

I hope people noticed when Bolt came out to talk to Schanaman, facing a hitter with a 1-2 count. For those that didn't, Rutgers was picking our signs all weekend with a runner on 2nd. The coaches finally figured it out and made changes. Coincidentally, their bats went silent. This shouldn't take 2 1/2 games to figure out. But it did...

I'll say if anyone felt the pressure, it was our coaching staff. Plenty of head scratching decisions this weekend we haven't seen at any point in 2021. I'll put my money on it they'll learn from it and it won't happen again. This is a great staff for our program.

Not sure how my response was insulting, but that's your opinion.

Schwellenbach has millions of dollars, literally, riding every time he picks up the ball to pitch for us. An extra thousand fans, if that's what the box scores claimed, with zero energy, didn't get to him. 20+ radar guns & video cameras have been on a couple of our guys (Schwellenbach, Povich, Wynne) at a majority of the games this season. That's pressure. And they've performed. One needs to keep in mind he just came off his longest outing in 4 years, on 5 days rest.

We played in front of large crowds our last home series against Maryland. All 3 games, those crowds were a lot more electric and equally as packed.

I hope people noticed when Bolt came out to talk to Schanaman, facing a hitter with a 1-2 count. For those that didn't, Rutgers was picking our signs all weekend with a runner on 2nd. The coaches finally figured it out and made changes. Coincidentally, their bats went silent. This shouldn't take 2 1/2 games to figure out. But it did...

I'll say if anyone felt the pressure, it was our coaching staff. Plenty of head scratching decisions this weekend we haven't seen at any point in 2021. I'll put my money on it they'll learn from it and it won't happen again. This is a great staff for our program.
It was a mix of a lot of things. But a Junior with little experience isn’t a true Junior in the normal sense of the word. They lost a year so a guy like Schwellenbach didn’t really face that situation on the mound before because he was a Freshman and didn’t pitch last time they had a crowd of 5000. That’s my main point. Which a player mentioned to me.

The coaches may not have been at their best but it was a whole team effort. The home crowds were nothing like this weekend because last home series it was dead with about 2000 fans. No biggy because like you said, that’s baseball. But the stats and their years in college are pretty irrelevant to their overall experience in that situation.

I talked to one of the players and he said they felt pressure and they shouldn’t of allowed it get to them which is why I intially mentioned it in a casual post originally. luckily it’s not the end of the world and they’ll get better at those situations, same as the coaches.

I agree with your last point and apologize for taking your the post wrong way. Just basing on what I was told is all.

The last home series against Maryland was electric, not dead. All 3 games had serious energy throughout. This weekend against Rutgers was dead. It shouldn't even be a discussion between the two weekends. Comparing the sizes of each, in person, not much of a difference between the two weekends.

Schwelly had 2 K's in 4 innings against Sparty last weekend. They squared him pretty good, luckily right at people plus an exceptional couple plays. His FB & SL were no different yesterday (FB 94-96 T97 & SL 84-86) against Rutgers then it was 5 days earlier. They squared him up too, but not at people. That's the game of baseball, not crowd sizes.

I'll say one more thing, with confidence and move on; there isn't a guy that took the bump this weekend that felt any additional pressure than normal. Especially the guys that "struggled". Anyone saying otherwise is someone I wouldn't put a lot of stock in to about this series.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT