ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday March 6th Game One: Nebraska vs. Purdue (Huskers win 7-2)

Chance Hroch getting the start for the Huskers in this 7 inning game one. Purdue is the home team today (I’m assuming they are the home team the whole weekend since Purdue is technically hosting this pod).

My updates will be sporadic today since my daughter has a volleyball tourney all day.

GBR!

Top 1st

Hallmark with a bunt single to 3rd base to start it off for the Huskers
Matthews K’s
Hallmark is then thrown out attempting the steal (was a close call and Hallmark stated he was never tagged)
Schwellenbach grounds out to end the frame

Bottom 1st

Brock gives up a 2 out single but gets out of the inning with no damage.

0-0 after one

Purdue is the home team today (I’m assuming they are the home team the whole weekend since Purdue is technically hosting this pod).
Yes, and Nebraska is technically the “host” of next week’s pod in Minneapolis. I guess we’re among the “lucky” ones that’s get to “host” a pod at a neutral site the first two weeks. And get to play at 9:00 a.m. as a “host.”

Reactions: RobsterMobster
Top 2nd

Anderson with a one out double down the RF line

Banjoff K’s
Anderson then advances to 3rd on a WP
Roskam walks to put runners on the corners
Cervantes walks on a full count to load the bases
Acker grounds out to end the top half

Top 2nd

Leadoff walk for Purdue
A double puts runners on 2nd and 3rd
The next batter K’s for out #1
Purdue gets caught off the bag to eventually get tagged out at home and a fly out ends the threat.

0-0 after 2

I always get nervous when there are long delays between updates, so I turned on the radio. No need to fret this time.

Top 3rd

Leadoff single to LF for Hallmark
Matthews with a SAC bunt to advance Hallmark to 2nd
An E5 allows Schwellenbach to reach 1st ad put runners on the corners
Chick is HBP to load the bases
Anderson with a two RBI single to LF to give the Huskers a 2-0 lead!!!

Banjoff pops out to SS for out #2
Roskam laces an RBI single to LF to make it a 3-0 lead!!!

Cervantes reaches on a dropped E9 to score another to make it a 4-0 lead with runners on the corners
Acker singles to CF for a 2 RBI single!!! 6-0 Huskers!

Pitching change for Purdue as Hallmark K’s to stop the bleeding

Bottom 3rd

Leadoff HBP for Purdue
Single to LF puts runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs
A fly out, pickoff at 2nd, a ground out to Hroch ends the inning

Huskers lead 6-0 after 3 innings

Top 4th

Huskers go down 1-2-3

Bottom 4th

Leadoff single to RF for Purdue
A nasty strikeout for the first out

A groundout to 1st advances the runner to 2nd
A strikeout gets away from Roskam to put runners on the corners
Fly out to Hallmark ends the inning

Still 6-0 Huskers!

Three straight innings Hroch works out out trouble. I like that. I mean, if you're going to get in a fix, work through it.

Top 5th

Anderson with a leadoff single through the right side
Banjoff K’s
Roskam grounds out as Purdue makes a call to the bullpen
Cervantes with a base hit to CF to put runners on 1st and 2nd
Acker out to end the top half

Bottom 5th

Leadoff HBP for Purdue but a 6-4-3 from the next batter gives Hroch two quick outs
Groundout to 1st ends the inning

6-0 Skers

Three straight innings Hroch works out out trouble. I like that. I mean, if you're going to get in a fix, work through it.
4 straight innings allowing the Leadoff batter to get on but no runs allowed. I guess I’d take that if not having my best day.

Top 6th

Hallmark with a leadoff single to LF and a throwing error from the pitcher on a pickoff attempt advances him to 2nd (E1)
Matthews flies out to RF but Hallmark does advance to 3rd on the play
Schwellenbach with an RBI single up the middle and then steals 2nd!
Chick K’s for the 2nd out
Anderson I’d but again the pitch gets away from the catcher so he is able to get to first to put runners on the corners
Mojo pinch hits into a groundout to end the top half

Bottom 6th

Leadoff triple for Purdue to start it off
A SAC fly scores Purdue’s first run to make it 6-1
Another triple for Purdue with still only one out
RBI groundout gives Purdue their 2nd run for the inning
Single to RF puts a runner on 1st with one out
Groundout to end the inning

7-2 Huskers after 6

Top 7th

2 out single to LF for Acker
Hallmark singles to LF but Acker is thrown out trying to take 3rd

Bottom 7th

Hroch back out to finish it up and allows another Leadoff base runner with a single to RF
Another single ends the day for Hroch as Wynne replaces him on the mound
Wynne puts down Purdue 1-2-3 to clinch the win for the Huskers

Huskers win 7-2!

Reactions: saluno22
I take it NU will be the home team this afternoon and tomorrow morning..

Purdue is the host so they are the home team the entire 4 game stretch

but apparently we are the host all of next weekends games in Minnesota.

👌🏻, Nice to know since the last time we played Ioway in baseball we played in Ioway city in 2019 and have to go back again in 2021..

Hroch with a solid outing, Wynne's stuff is electric. That 95 doesn't give his FB justice, it's so heavy and more difficult after his hard slider. Great response with RISP this game after Friday.

It feels like we are for sure the better team. Just have to not beat ourselves and we got this. I guess we will see how the pitching depth changes my theory these last couple games. It was great to get 6 out of Hroch today.

Glad we could cash in on some RISP. Nice pitching efforts from our starter&closer. Good first win, now lets win the 2nd.

Just getting their sea-legs. Would love to see a team playing its best ball come tourney time, bring home some postseason victories plural.

Purdue is the host so they are the home team the entire 4 game stretch

but apparently we are the host all of next weekends games in Minnesota.

Just checked division1Baseball.com and they have Ohio St being the home team all 4 games against Nebraska and Ioway in Minneapolis next weekend, but Nebraska will be the home team in the Herky series..

Just checked division1Baseball.com and they have Ohio St being the home team all 4 games against Nebraska and Ioway in Minneapolis next weekend, but Nebraska will be the home team in the Herky series..

It could be that I misunderstood what I heard but I tend to think D1 made an error because Nebraska is not hosting any pod series at home and this is their only opportunity to be host (neutral site)

Also, I just checked the OSU schedule and they are hosting a pods series at home at the end of March against Iowa and Maryland. I believe each team gets to host one pod series.

Either way Nebraska got screwed.

Reactions: scarletred
It could be that I misunderstood what I heard but I tend to think D1 made an error because Nebraska is not hosting any pod series at home and this is their only opportunity to be host (neutral site)

Also, I just checked the OSU schedule and they are hosting a pods series at home at the end of March against Iowa and Maryland. I believe each team gets to host one pod series.

TYPICAL!

I think it is just inaccurate on D1 mainly because they seemed pretty confident during pregame on Friday that Nebraska was the host next week. I'd of rather we hosted our pod in Haymarket Park however.

ADVERTISEMENT