ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday Game 1: Nebraska vs. Ohio State (Huskers lose 9-7)

I was able to catch a bit and the first 2 OSU runners got on with a 4 pitch walk and an error by Schlepp. That's the lack of focus we were worried about. Hopefully we can hit a lot today.

Reactions: regionsdoc

I will be unable to provide updates tonight because of a work function. Hopefully that doesn't jinx the team like it did last Saturday. If anyone is able to feel free otherwise you can always get the updates from Huskers.com Live Stats feature.

Also, not sure if it is free or not yet but they do state they will have the game on Buckeye Vision.

GBR!
Just checked, not free.

Sounds like a torn hammy for OSU's starter. Sucks for the kids, but we may not have to hear Greg Sharpe try to pronounce his last name.

Well we got a weather delay at the top of the 5th. Could be the end of the day for this game.

Too bad b/c I was looking forward to Hohensee getting a two run no hitter. that's kinda rare. :Cool:

Reactions: donahues17
Well we got a weather delay at the top of the 5th. Could be the end of the day for this game.

Too bad b/c I was looking forward to Hohensee getting a two run no hitter. that's kinda rare. :Cool:
Yeah, looking at the radar, I don't think they resume this game today. Probably are going to have to finish it tomorrow before the regularly scheduled game.

Are we sure they pick the game up where it left off or is the whole game just washed away and they start over fresh tomorrow?

Are we sure they pick the game up where it left off or is the whole game just washed away and they start over fresh tomorrow?
I don't know why they wouldn't just suspend the game and restart it. The only way I can see the game would be wiped out was if it was the third game and it couldn't get finished.

Edit: Just saw the game is being suspended and will restart at tomorrow's regularly scheduled time of 2:05 PM with the second game following.

Michigan is in a bit of a slump. Lost the Indiana series at home and now just lost at Rutgers. They are 3-1 in the last four games. This hiccup follows a healthy 14-1 run. Wonder if this is going to heat them up for a strong run to the finish?

Michigan is in a bit of a slump. Lost the Indiana series at home and now just lost at Rutgers. They are 3-1 in the last four games. This hiccup follows a healthy 14-1 run. Wonder if this is going to heat them up for a strong run to the finish?
Sounds like Rutgers is on quite the roll right now. Let's hope that ends when we play them.

We pick it up in the Bottom of the 4th

Matt Waldron in to relieve Hohensee and he pitches a 1-2-3 inning.

Boy the wheels have come off of this one quickly. A 3 run lead is a 3 run deficit just like that.

Bottom 5th

One out single past SS for OSU. Infield single puts runners on 1st and 2nd. Groundout to 2nd gets the runner at 2nd but puts runners on the corners. Waldron then walks the bases loaded. RBI single keeps the bases loaded. A 3 RBI double clears the bases. Another RBI double. Another RBI double. Groundout to SS ends the inning.

Bottom 5th

One out single past SS for OSU. Infield single puts runners on 1st and 2nd. Groundout to 2nd gets the runner at 2nd but puts runners on the corners. Waldron then walks the bases loaded. RBI single keeps the bases loaded. A 3 RBI double clears the bases. Another RBI double. Another RBI double. Groundout to SS ends the inning. Silva's ineptitude is costing us this game. Why was Nobody ever warming up in the Husker bullpen?

It's crazy. Last Sunday I sat next to the mom of a Husker pitcher. As Jake struggled through his last 2-3 innings, I quietly said under my breath, "why don't they take him out?" She leaned over and replied, 'Erstad just won't use his bullpen, it gets pretty frustrating for everyone'. She didn't say it maliciously, just matter of fact.

Top 6th

Another 1-2-3 inning. Good to see the guys were mentally ready to play compared to OSU.

Bottom 6th

Two out single up the middle. A snag at the wall ends the inning. A couple hard hits but fortunately no damage.

Top 7th

Schreiber leads off with a double in the gap! Miller grounds out to 2nd but Schreiber moves to 3rd on the play. Roskam with a crucial strikeout for out #2. Alvarado gets on with an error and Schreiber scores on the play. Sometimes it's better to be lucky that good right? Fly out ends the frame.

Bottom 7th

Lealdoff triple for OSU. Meyers dove on the play which allowed the triple to happen. Hard to tell if the decision to dive was wise or not. Next batter Ks. Single to LF scores another. Runner is thrown out trying to steal 2nd on a failed hit and run attempt by OSU. Groundout ends the inning.

Top 7th

Schreiber leads off with a double in the gap! Miller grounds out to 2nd but Schreiber moves to 3rd on the play. Roskam with a crucial strikeout for out #2. Alvarado gets on with an error and Schreiber scores on the play. Sometimes it's better to be lucky that good right? Fly out ends the frame.

I'm sure Waldron is going to find his groove soon. He may need to give up 5 more hits and 3 runs, but dammit we are going to keep him out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure Waldron is going to find his groove soon. He may need to give up 5 more hits and 3 runs, but dammit we are going to keep him out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many people get upset with the bats, which I understand, but what has always upset me the most is Silva's and Erstad's bullpen management.

It's simple. One team stayed mentally strong and the other went on a mental vacation.
Perhaps. But Nebraska was only able to use its best pitcher for three innings. Three no-hit innings. Can't blame anyone but Mother Nature but it's a bad break.

Many people get upset with the bats, which I understand, but what has always upset me the most is Silva's and Erstad's bullpen management.
It's almost as if they stop thinking about the big picture and get too caught up in each at bat. 'Just one more out and he'll be out of this mess'. Then 5 hits and 6 runs later the team is toast. Then they are thinking they don't want to chew up the bullpen for the last 2 games, and are essentially giving this one away. It's coaching moves you'd expect in little league, not supposed big time Div 1 baseball.

Their starter was pulled before the suspension of play.
Not sure I'm understanding your reasons. OSU mentally showed up and unfortunately Nebraska didn't. Let's hope we can get a 9th inning rally and it's irrelevant

Perhaps. But Nebraska was only able to use its best pitcher for three innings. Three no-hit innings. Can't blame anyone but Mother Nature but it's a bad break.
Or we can develop more than 1 pitcher and actually BE consistent instead of just talking about it all the time.

Top 9th

Leadoff double for Altavilla. Schreiber singles through the left side to put runners on the corners! Miller on with an E5 throwing error!!! Altavilla scores, Schreiber moves to 2nd. Acker in the pinch run for Miller. Roskam fails to get down the SAC bunt and then Ks on a high borderline strike. Alvarado grounds Acker out at 2nd but is safe on the FC to put runners on the corners. Repinski Ks.

Top 9th

Leadoff double for Altavilla. Schreiber singles through the left side to put runners on the corners! Miller on with an E5 throwing error!!! Altavilla scores, Schreiber moves to 2nd. Acker in the pinch run for Miller. Roskam fails to get down the SAC bunt and then Ks on a high borderline strike. Alvarado grounds Acker out at 2nd but is safe on the FC to put runners on the corners. Repinski Ks.

No way to sugar coat it---just a BAD loss.
1) Can anyone on this team get a bunt down???
2) Game sure looks different if the Huskers are only down 1 or 2 runs in the 9th. Way to keep Waldron in to get pounded for 7 runs......
3) It's mind numbing games like this (knowing that baseball can be very random) that keep NU from ever winning anything of significance.

OSU pretty much shut us down with a pitcher that gave up 8 runs in 4 innings against UNC-Greensboro last week. The weather is no excuse.

No way to sugar coat it---just a BAD loss.
1) Can anyone on this team get a bunt down???
2) Game sure looks different if the Huskers are only down 1 or 2 runs in the 9th. Way to keep Waldron in to get pounded for 7 runs......
3) It's mind numbing games like this (knowing that baseball can be very random) that keep NU from ever winning anything of significance.
The batting wasn't great but we scored enough runs to win a game one. The coaches keeping Waldron in to give up a few more runs is what lost it for us unfortunately.

ADVERTISEMENT