ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday (3/14) News Links

LJS: Sinclair settles down in win

Chance Sinclair got the look. Darin Erstad got goosebumps. Nebraska got a 6-3 victory Friday against Florida Gulf Coast before 6,062 fans at Haymarket Park.

"Chance locked in," Erstad said. "I still have goosebumps from watching him compete. That fighter mentality. Man, that's fun to watch.

"I told our young pitchers after the game, 'That's why he's our Friday night starter.'"

Sinclair (2-3) battled with control of his off-speed pitches through the first five innings, but set the next eight batters down in order, and NU relievers Colton Howell and Josh Roeder took the air out of the game in the final two innings.

"Chance picked up the tempo, got in a rhythm and had that look - backed into a corner and I'm not going to lose," said Erstad, whose team is 10-6 after three consecutive home wins. "You could see him attacking downhill a little more."

Sinclair lost a 2-1 decision to No. 6 Texas A&M last week in Houston when he gave up a solo home run with one out in the bottom of the eighth inning.

He struggled against the Eagles on Friday, giving up two doubles, a throwing error and a walk that helped Florida Gulf Coast (8-10-1) tie the game 3-3 in the fifth.

"I started to get angry," the senior right-hander said. "I just had to keep the ball down and I had good defense behind me. By the sixth, I was able to keep the batters off-balance with a changeup."

Nebraska, which had 12 hits - six combined by leadoff hitter Jake Schleppenbach and No. 2 hitter Ryan Boldt - scored three runs in the sixth to break the tie.

Schleppenbach led off the sixth with his second double of the game. Boldt, who had been in a minor slump, picked up his third hit of the game on a grounder to short, and Blake Headley doubled in two runs. Headley, who has four triples, a single and a double in three games this week, then scored on a double by Ben Miller.

Miller's smash to left-center knocked Eagle starter Michael Murray out of the game. Murray gave up three runs in the first when Schleppenbach hit the 11th pitch he faced into right field for a double. Boldt reached on a bunt and Headley hit a sacrifice fly. Tanner Lubach singled in a run, and Christian Cox walked with the bases loaded.

"Murray is very good, very good," Erstad said. "We had some bloopers find holes and grounders find some holes, but to get him to throw 42 pitches in the first inning, get his pitch count up, and not be able to stay in the game longer than he did was important," Erstad said.

Nebraska sparkled in the field, too.

Boldt chased down fly ball to deep right-center in the second inning, and first baseman Scott Schreiber started a double play in the fourth. "That was the turning point of the ball game," Erstad said of the double play.

Boldt said Sinclair fired up the whole team.

"Chance was doing what he does and he knows we'll try to get the hits for him and make the plays behind him," Boldt said. "He's quiet and he just competes. He lifted us when he got going. Just let him do his thing and we'll play for him."

Briefly

The teams play again Saturday at 2 p.m. Sunday's game has been moved up to noon.

LJS: Sinclair settles down in win

NU: Huskers Win 6-3 in Front of 6,062 at Hawks Field

Lincoln - Behind a pair of three-run innings and 7.0 innings of work from starter Chance Sinclair the Nebraska baseball team (10-6, 0-0 Big Ten) took the series opener from the Florida Gulf Coast University Eagles (8-10-1, 0-0 Atlantic Sun) by a score of 6-3 on Friday in front of 6,062 fans at Hawks Field.

Riding a three-start losing streak, Sinclair picked up his second win of the season and the 11th of his career in the win. The preseason All-American gave up three runs on eight hits and a walk, but got stronger as the game went on. After giving up the tying run in the fifth, Sinclair sat down the final eight Eagles he faced.

Colton Howell and Josh Roeder each tossed a perfect inning of relief, with Howell striking out the side in the eighth, while Roeder earned his fourth save of the season with a 1-2-3 ninth. Sinclair, Howell and Roeder combined to retired the FCGU's final 14 batters of the game.

Four Husker hitters produced a multi-hit game, including three-hits each from Jake Schleppenbach and Ryan Boldt. Blake Headley notched his fifth extra base hit of the week and added three RBIs to bring his season total to 19.

FGCU starter Mike Murray, who was the Atlantic Sun pitcher of the year last season and a 2015 preseason All-American by three publications, fell to 1-3 on the year after giving up six runs on 12 hits over 5.1 innings of work. Murray had gone at least 7.0 innings in each of his three starts entering Friday.

The Huskers made Murray work right away, as NU sent nine batters to the plate in the bottom of the first. The Huskers plated three runs in the frame on five hits. Headley plated the first run on a sacrifice fly, Tanner Lubach drove in another run with a single and Christian Cox picked up his second RBI of the season with a bases-loaded walk.

The Eagles tied the game with a run in the second and a pair in the fifth, while the Husker bats went quite with just three hits total from the second through the fifth innings.

After Sinclair put the Eagles away in order in the top of the sixth, NU's offense got the lead back for its senior starter with three runs in the bottom of the frame on four hits, including three doubles. Schleppenbach got the rally going with a one-out double, his second of the game, and then the Huskers had runners on the corners following an infield single from Boldt. Already with four triples on the week, Headley picked up another extra-base hit with a two-RBI double and then scored when Miller followed with a double that knocked Murray out of the game.

The Huskers and Eagles continue their three-game series tomorrow at 2:05 p.m. Sunday's finale has been moved from 1:05 p.m. to 12:05 p.m. due to FGCU's travel.

NU: Huskers Win 6-3 in Front of 6,062 at Hawks

NU: Why Kubat is Part of Huskers' Three-Headed Monster

Randy York's N-Sider

Official Blog of the Huskers

Not that long ago, with snow on the ground, cold winds blowing, and a 70-degree day at Hawks Field a mere pipedream, Kyle Kubat was inside the Nebraska Athletic Performance Laboratory (NAPL), a one-of-a-kind facility in Memorial Stadium's expanded east side. Kubat (pronounced KOO-bot) was doing what he always does - finding a way to go above and beyond with an exercise that relates directly to helping student-athletes. A 6-foot-1, 194-point senior from Omaha Creighton Prep, via hometown Waterloo, Neb., Kubat had just completed a voluntary test to stand on a beam, close his eyes and point a laser while shaking his head left and right. After that, he did the same thing, but shook his head up and down instead of left to right.

Next up was a dynamic visual acuity test. "I had to look at the letter E pop up on a computer screen and tell which way the prongs of the E were facing," Kubat said. "Then I was asked to do 20 minutes of moderate physical activity before taking the visual acuity test again. The goal was to see if physical exertion changed the acuity of my eyes. They were comparing scores to see how physical activity affects vision." The result of it all? "They said I passed with flying colors," Kubat said. "I was glad I volunteered. They asked me if I wanted to do a little more research, and I was more than willing. Being a senior, I want to take advantage of every opportunity that's out there. This is my last year here. This university has a lot to offer, and it's always nice when fellow Huskers help each other. I think all of us should give the NAPL our time every day we can."

Judy Burnfield, the director of the NAPL, said Kubat's positive experience with the group she leads was actually a collaborative effort with UNL's Center for Brain, Biology and Behavior's Dizziness and Balance Disorder Lab, headed by Dr. Julie Honaker and her graduate students.

Kubat: The NAPL Will Keep Huskers above Others

The NAPL is "something Nebraska has that no one else has," Kubat said. "When you think about all of these big-name schools, they don't have what we have. They're some of the best-known schools in the country from the East to the West Coast. A lot of people don't even know we're on the map, but what we have here and what we're building here is something special. Having something like the NAPL in our back pocket will keep us a cut above the rest.

"It's like Disneyland in that facility," said Kubat, pictured both above and below. "You feel like a little kid when you walk in there. You get wide-eyed looking at all the stuff they have that can make you better as a student-athlete. As a recruit, you can't see or get a facility like this anywhere else. It's top-notch all around the board. Going from our AD, Shawn Eichorst, to our training staff, our medical staff, our strength and conditioning staff, our training table and nutritionists, the research, the academic counselors, the life skills counselors...everything we have at Nebraska is a cut above others. That's why I try to take advantage of everything." When I relate Kubat's Disney-like fascination with the NAPL, Nebraska Associate Head Baseball Coach Ted Silva laughs. In no way is Silva, who also serves as the Huskers' pitching coach and recruiting coordinator, surprised. "Kyle is always looking for the next opportunity to get better," Silva told me. "He always wants to take that next step. I would never say he shows up happy with what's transpired. He's never complacent and always ready to work hard."

Kubat, Sinclair, Roeder: NU's Three-Headed Monster

That mindset elevates Kubat to be a tried and trusted member of what Silva calls Nebraska's "three-headed monster senior pitching staff" featuring Kubat, Chance Sinclair (pictured above), and Josh Roeder (pronounced Ray-der, pictured below). "It's always nice to have something like that," Silva said. Sinclair is a 6-foot-4, 189-pound senior from Spring Hill, Kansas, and the Huskers' Friday starter. Kubat, a two-time Big Ten All-Tournament Team selection and two-time Academic All-Big Ten honoree, is the Huskers' Saturday starter. Roeder, a 6-foot, 174-pound right-handed pitcher from Plano, Texas, is Nebraska's closer on the national "Stopper of the Year" Watch List. Silva says all three senior pitchers embrace Nebraska's unique advantages.

"More than anything, Kyle knows who he is," Silva said of Kubat. "He knows what it takes to be ready to go on game day, and that's not easy with the amount of preparation it takes week in and week out. Whenever Kyle goes into a new year, he's able to stay the course and trust what he's doing. Every day, he just keeps working at his craft. He's a captain and one of our leaders. When you get to this point in your career, one of the biggest questions is how are you feeling? You have to be in the right place physically and mentally. We're in our fourth year, and Kyle will tell you when he's not right. He doesn't have very many bad days, and that's probably due to his preparation. He really does know who he is and lives and dies with his strengths. He'll compete with his changeup any count, anywhere, and still command both sides of the plate."

Kubat Believes in NU's Plan, Purpose, Preparation

There's a small book that goes into a lefty controlling the plate and the running game against right-handed hitters, and in Silva's opinion, that enables Kubat to continue on the road to become an elite pitcher rather than just a successful one. It's a big part of his career development. "It really just goes down to the grip of the hand," Silva said. "In his fourth year, he's going into the elite stage. He believes in himself. He believes in the structure that's in place. He believes in his coaches and teammates. He believes in the plan, the purpose, and the preparation. Every spring and every season, he believes in this entire university."

And that includes the Nebraska Athletic Performance Laboratory, a place that Kyle Kubat believes will separate Husker Athletics from others now and well into the future.

NU: Why Kubat is Part of Three-Headed Monster

@FGCU_Baseball Can't Hold Off Nebraska in 6-3 Defeat

LINCOLN, Neb. - The FGCU baseball team (8-10-1) erased an early 3-0 deficit and came back to tie the game 3-3 but would ultimately fall to Nebraska (10-6) on Friday night, 6-3, after a late inning rally by the home team.

Nick Rivera (Cape Coral, Fla./Bishop Verot HS) was the lone Eagle to pick up two hits for the Green and Blue who managed eight total. Six other FGCU players in the lineup would collect one hit. Rivera, Colton Bottomley (Parkland, Fla./Marjory Stoneman Douglas HS) and Adam Eggnatz (Tampa, Fla./Middle Georgia College) each drove in a run. Jake Noll (Punta Gorda, Fla./Charlotte HS) went 1-4 at the plate, extending his hitting streak to a career-best 14 games.

"We battled today," head coach Dave Tollett said. "We need to avoid giving up big innings if we are going to give ourselves a chance to come back in games. Our offense is there but we still need to work on putting a complete game together. We've shown we can do that but give Nebraska credit, they came at us."

Mike Murray (West Palm Beach, Fla./Forrest Hill HS) took the hill, making his fifth start of the season and struggled in the first, surrendering three runs. By the end of the night the junior would toss 5.1 innings, give up 12 hits, six runs, walk three and strike out five batters. Three relievers would keep Nebraska at bay the rest of the way, without allowing a hit but the offense was unable to erase a second three-run deficit.

Nebraska led off the bottom of the first with a double to right and bunt single to put runners on first and third with no outs. A sacrifice fly to right would bring in the first run of the ball game then a one-out single put runners on first and third for a second time in the inning. A single followed, bringing in another run and making it 2-0. One more single brought in the third and final run of the frame before Murray settled in and worked out of the rest of the first.

In the top of the second, Bottomley led off with a double to center then advanced to third on a single by Tyler Selesky (Estero, Fla./Estero HS). Eggnatz then lifted a fly ball to right allowing Bottomley to score on the sacrifice for the first run of the ball game for the Green and Blue.

The Eagles completed the comeback in the top of the fifth. Zach Spivey (Ormond Beach, Fla./Spruce Creek HS) led off with a single through the left side. With one out, Spivey stole second to move into scoring position for Matt Reardon (Palm City, Fla./Martin County) who walked bringing up Rivera who ripped a single through the right side, driving in Spivey for the first FGCU run. Bottomley then lifted a long fly ball to left that sacrificed home Reardon.

Nebraska would shut the door in the bottom of the sixth. A one-out double put a runner in scoring position for Boldt who singled in the infield to put runners on first and third. Headley then doubled, bringing in two runs to push the Huskers ahead 5-3. A double would follow to bring in the sixth and final run of the inning and provide the final score of 6-3. The FGCU bullpen would spell the damage from there.

DAVE TOLLETT
In 12 seasons of work, FGCU head coach Dave Tollett has compiled a 442-248-3 record as the only head coach in the program's history. He is a four-time Atlantic Sun Coach of the Year and has guided the Green and Blue to four A-Sun Regular Season Championships. His team has been ranked nationally on several occasions by multiple media outlets and has coached 35 All-Conference selections, 22 draft picks, 14 current minor leaguers, four A-Sun Pitchers of the Year, three All-Americans, one National Freshman Player of the Year, one National Player of the Year and one MLB All-Star.

#WINGSUP
Fans are encouraged to download the brand-new Wings Up mobile app in conjunction with SuperFanU. The fully-customized loyalty-rewards platform allows fans to check in at each of FGCU's sporting events to earn points throughout the school year toward exclusive prizes that can't be offered anywhere else.

FOLLOW ALONG
For constant, news, photos, videos and updates you can follow the baseball team on Twitter @FGCU_Baseball, Instagram @FGCU_Baseball or on Facebook: Facebook.com/FGCUBaseball. You can also find FGCU athletics on YouTube by visiting YouTube.com/FGCUEagles.

#FEEDFGCU
FGCU Athletics sponsors events throughout the year to benefit the FGCU Campus Food Pantry (www.fgcu.edu/foodpantry) and the Harry Chapin Food Bank (www.harrychapinfoodbank.org), FGCU Athletics' charities of choice. For more information, including how to make a contribution, please visitwww.fgcu.edu/foodpantry and utilize the hashtag #FeedFGCU to help raise awareness.

@FGCU_Baseball Can't Hold Off Nebraska

D1 - Ten Thoughts: Friday, March 13

Tennessee's Bret Marks Earns Near Perfect Marks

Tennessee logoThe Volunteers might be off to somewhat of a slow start this season, but the senior righthander has been a steady presence on the mound, striking out 12 and allowing just five hits and a run in 7.2 innings against Grand Canyon last weekend. Marks, though, took his game to yet another level Friday night in a 6-3 win over Florida in a contest that wasn't as close as the score indicates.

The righthander tossed an absolute gem against the top-ranked Gators, carrying a no-hitter into the ninth inning and not allowing a hit until UF freshman Dalton Guthrie singled through the left side to start the inning. UF score three runs in the inning, two of them credited to Marks, but it didn't matter. His performance was simply masterful, striking out eight, walking two and allowing those two runs and just one hit in eight innings.

"Any time you win in the SEC on a Friday night, it's a big win," Head Coach Dave Serrano said. "We were led by Bret Marks and by four guys who took some aggressive swings and hit balls over the fence. I know what our coaches have been preaching to our offense and I'm proud of how we really stung some balls. But tonight was about Bret Marks. It's tough to throw no-hitters, even tougher in this league against the No. 1 team in the country like Florida. I'm very proud of his performance and how he stayed in character. It was just a good team win for us."

In addition to Mark's big night on the mound, the Volunteers got a power infusion at the plate, jumping out to an early 4-0 lead in the first inning, and in the game, getting homers from A.J. Simcox, Christin Stewart, Nathaniel Maggio and Andrew Lee.

Though he settled down after the first inning, ti was an uncharacteristic start for Florida sophomore righthander Logan Shore, who struck out just four and allowed five runs and six hits in six innings.

Texas A&M Wins Again … Now 19-0

Texas AM logoIt was another day and yet another gutsy performance by Rob Childress' Aggies. The Aggies were pushed to the brink earlier this week when Texas-Pan American had the Aggies down 3-0 in the eighth inning. However, A&M rallied from behind to win 4-3 in extra innings. Friday night against Auburn, the Aggies didn't need late drama to take care of Sunny Golloway's Tigers.

Instead, the Aggies put it in the hands of third baseman Hunter Melton. Melton connected on a grand slam off Keegan Thompson in the second inning before hitting a game-sealing two-run double in the eighth inning to put A&M ahead of AU 6-2, and for good.

Melton continues to be a big-time power producer for the Aggies, while righthander Grayson Long put together his fourth-straight quality start, striking out seven and allowing just two runs (one earned) on three hits in six innings. On the flip side, Auburn's Thompson settled down after the first couple of innings and had a decent start, but it wasn't enough, as he allowed six runs on 10 hits in seven innings. Interestingly, Thompson finished the game with 130 pitches.

The Aggies stay undefeated for another day.

California … Under The Radar No More

Cal Golden Bears logoThe Golden Bears have been one of the more intriguing teams to follow the past few weeks. Dave Esquer's club started the season on a positive note, but just haven't earned a lot of recognition with some teams in their region also doing well. Well, Cal deserves plenty of recognition tonight after pounding Oregon 9-3.

California veteran first baseman Chris Paul had a huge day at the plate, going 2-for-3 with a walk, a home run, a run scored and two RBIs, while freshman righthander Jeff Bain, starting on Friday to begin conference, was more than serviceable, allowing three runs on five hits in 6.1 innings.

For the Ducks, usually consistent lefthander Cole Irvin had a less than stellar day on the mound, allowing four runs in three innings, while the bullpen struggled immensely in the setback.

As for Cal, now sitting at 14-3 overall, another win this weekend over the Ducks would absolutely put them in the mix to be in the next D1Baseball Top 25.

Oregon State Wins Yet Again

Andrew Moore (Oregon State)
Andrew Moore (Oregon State)
Pat Casey's Beavers, to no surprise, are getting things going at precisely the right time. OSU and Arizona State were locked in quite the battle Friday night at Phoenix Municipal Stadium with both righthander Andrew Moore and ASU's Seth Martinez putting together impressive performances.

In the 1-0 victory, Moore struck out three in 7.1 shutout innings, while Martinez countered with three strikeouts in eight shutout frames. The lone run in the contest was scored in the top of the ninth when Oregon State's Caleb Hamilton hit an RBI single up the middle to score Kyle Nobach.

Moore, by the way, showed a hard-nosed approach against the Devils, sitting 88-92 mph with his fastball, while he also showed adequate feel for his slider and changeup.

Bubba Derby, San Diego State Race Past Texas Tech

Tim Tadlock's Red Raiders are struggling right now. (Texas Tech)
Tim Tadlock's Red Raiders are struggling right now. (Texas Tech)
It's not always easy being one of the hunted, and Tim Tadlock's Red Raiders are finding that out the hard way so far this season, especially the past couple of weeks. Tech went on the road last weekend to California and got swept by Fullerton. Well, the Red Raiders didn't start this weekend in good fashion either, losing 9-0 to San Diego State with righthander Bubba Derby leading the way.

Derby, who has one of the best names in college baseball, struck out 11, didn't walk anyone and allowed just three hits in eight shutout innings. Our Shotgun Spratling was in attendance at Tony Gwynn Stadium and said Derby was up to 94 with his fastball, and did a terrific job of locating that pitch around the plate. Derby, Spratling said, also showcased good command of a pair of breaking balls.

As for Tech, starting pitcher and righthander had a tough start against the Aztecs, striking out just three and allowing six runs (four earned) on seven hits in five innings. Texas Tech has now lost four of its last six contests.

Craziness In the ACC

It would take too long to break down all of the craziness from the ACC on Friday, but let's give you a snapshot:

• Wake Forest logoWake Forest has very much flown under the radar this season, but made a nice statement against Florida State in a 4-1 triumph, outhitting the Seminoles 12-4 in the process. Wake's pitching combo of Matt Pirro and Parker Dunshee stymied the 'Noles, Pirro allowing just a run on two hits in 5.2 innings, while Dunshee struck out five in 3.1 shutout innings out of the pen … FSU starting pitcher Mike Compton was scratched from his start before the contest because of an abdominal strain he suffered during warmups … The loss by FSU snapped an 11-game winning streak.

• Virginia Tech logoVirginia Tech received a terrific performance from senior lefthander Sean Keselica in a 2-1 upset win over Virginia. Keselica struck out four, walked one and allowed just four hits in the complete game performance. Meanwhile, Virginia elite prospect and lefthander Nathan Kirby had another quality start, striking out six and allowing a run on five hits in 7.1 innings. Kirby, however, did also finish the game with four walks.

• Pittsburgh logoLast weekend, Pittsburgh used the pitching of T.J. Zeuch to knock off Virginia to begin the weekend. This weekend, Zeuch only lasted a few innings, and the Panthers had to rely on the offense to get the job done. That didn't matter in Pitt's 12-9 win over North Carolina. Pitt second baseman Jordan Frabasilio went 3-for-5 with a home run, while Frank Maldonado also hit a home run. Meanwhile, shortstop Charles LeBlanc went 2-for-2 with five RBIs … UNC starting pitcher Zac Gallen allowed eight runs on six hits in just 3.2 innings.

Kaprielian Carries UCLA

UCLA righthander James Kaprielian (Aaron Fitt)
UCLA righthander James Kaprielian (Aaron Fitt)
After going 0-3 last weekend against the likes of TCU, Vanderbilt and USC, the Bruins wanted to start the weekend off on the right foot with junior righthander James Kaprielian on the mound. The righty didn't disappoint, putting together one of his better performances so far this season in a 2-0 victory over Washington.

Kaprielian struck out 10, walked two and allowed just five hits in seven shutout innings. Meanwhile, UW freshman righthander, which Aaron Fitt profiled in the Weekend Preview also didn't disappoint on the road in a Friday contest, striking out five and allowing just a run on six hits in 5.2 innings.

The only concern for the Bruins? They've scored just 12 runs in their last five games after starting the season hitting at a torrid clip.

Upset Of The Day: Southern Illinois over Illinois

Southern Illinois logoSkimming through the scores throughout the evening, this one stood out more than any. That, of course, is the Southern Illinois-Illinois score, a game the Salukis, 2-13 entering the contest, won 2-0 over red-hot Illinois.

The ringleader of the upset? Redshirt senior lefthander Aaron Hauge. The 6-foot, 205-pounder, was just terrific against the Illini, striking out six, walking two and allowing seven hits in eight shutout innings. Meanwhile, the Illini wasted another special start from lefty Kevin Duchene, who struck out nine, didn't walk anyone and allowed just two runs (one earned) in six innings.

The rest of the weekend will be a gut check for the Fighting Illini. This is simply a series it can't lose to be potentially mentioned in the same breath as Indiana a couple of seasons ago.

Pitching Prowess: David Hill, rhp, San Diego

San Diego coach Rich Hill (center). (Shotgun Spratling)
San Diego coach Rich Hill (center). (Shotgun Spratling)
Just a couple of weeks ago when the Toreros headed to Austin, Texas, to face Texas, they appeared to be in pretty bad shape. Then righthander David Hill dealt against the Longhorns, spurring some of those in attendance to wonder how exactly USD had struggled so much.

Well, the Toreros disposed of the Longhorns that weekend, took a series from Mississippi State - on the road - last weekend, and began this weekend on a high note in a 3-0 win over Portland with Hill leading the way yet again. The talented veteran righthander struck out 14, walked just one and allowed just four hits in nine shutout innings.

Amazingly, Rich Hill's Toreros have won six of their last seven contests.

Ole Miss Runs Into Hale Storm

LSU's Conner Hale (Kendall Rogers)
LSU's Conner Hale (Kendall Rogers)
Those who have asked me about LSU in the last week know the name very well by now - third baseman Connor Hale. Hale put on a show at times at the Houston College Classic last weekend and looked like someone ready to morph into a big-time senior sign for someone.

Hale continued his hot ways Friday night in a 6-4 home win over Ole Miss to begin conference play. The talented infielder went 3-for-3 with a double, two runs scored and two RBIs to lead the offensive cause, while outfielders Mark Laird and Andrew Stevenson each finished the contest with a pair of hits.

On this night, though, it was again all about Hale, who's now hitting .347 with a team-high seven doubles and team-high 17 RBIs.

D1 - Ten Thoughts: Friday, March 13

CBI: Around the Bases (3/11)

Cogen drives in four as Old Dominion batters Virginia
Texas A&M nips UTPA, FSU outscores UCF, LSU blanks McNeese State

Old Dominion 14, No. 1 Virginia 5
In Charlottesville, Va., Matt Cogen had three hits and four RBI as Old Dominion tallied 17 hits in knocking off Virginia. Taylor Ostrich and Josh Eldridge added three hits, two runs and an RBI apiece as the Monarchs (7-5) beat the Cavaliers (12-2) for the second straight year when Virginia was ranked No. 1 in the nation. Connor Myers went 2 for 4 with three runs and two RBI for ODU, which erupted for six runs in the seventh inning and four more in the eighth to break from a 4-3 game. Matt Thaiss went 2 for 4 with a two-run homer and two runs, and Kenny Towns added a solo homer for Virginia.

No. 6 Texas A&M 4, UTPA 3 (11)
In College Station, Texas, Ronnie Gideon hit a sacrifice fly in the bottom of the 11th as Texas A&M edged UTPA to improve to 18-0. Pinch-hitter G.R. Hinsley had a two-run double as the Aggies came back from a 3-0 deficit with three runs in the eighth inning. Corey Davis had three hits and two runs for the Broncs (8-5).

No. 18 Florida State 15, No. 9 UCF 11
In Tallahassee, Fla., Quincy Nieporte went 4 for 4 with two homers, three runs and seven RBI as Florida State scored seven times in the seventh inning to outslug UCF. Ben DeLuzio added three RBI, and Chris Marconcini scored four times for the Seminoles (15-3). Logan Heiser went 4 for 5 with two homers, three runs and five RBI, and Dylan Moore homered and drove in two for the Knights (14-4).

No. 3 LSU 7, McNeese State 0
In Baton Rouge, La., Alex Bregman hit a three-run homer in the third inning and finished with four RBI, and eleven LSU pitchers combined on a shutout as the Tigers blanked McNeese State. Mark Laird went 2 for 2 with three runs for LSU (16-1), which opens SEC play against Ole Miss Friday. Andrew Guillotte and James Cantu had two hits apiece for the Cowboys (11-6).

No. 4 Florida 6, Fairfield 1
In Gainesville, Fla., Dalton Guthrie went 3 for 5 with a run and RBI, and Ryan Larson added two RBI as Florida topped Fairfield. Alex Faedo (1-0) tossed three scoreless innings to pick up the win for the Gators (16-2). Troy Scocca drove in the lone run for Fairfield (0-5).

No. 5 Vanderbilt 8, Quinnipiac 0
In Nashville, Tenn., Dansby Swanson went 3 for 3 with a homer, three runs and two RBI, and four Vanderbilt pitchers combined on a one-hitter in a win over Quinnipiac. Ryan Johnson tossed five perfect innings, entering the game in the second inning with the bases loaded and finishing with nine strikeouts for the Commodores (13-4).

San Francisco 8, No. 7 Oregon 2
In Eugene, Ore., Sam Granoff allowed three hits and two earned runs and struck out six as San Francisco beat Oregon for the second straight day. Derek Atkinson went 2 for 4 with two runs and two RBI, and Brendan Hendriks added two RBI for the Dons (5-12). Shaun Chase had a two-run homer for the Ducks (13-4).

Western Kentucky 3, No. 15 Mississippi State 1
In Starkville, Miss., Danny Hudzina drove in a run and scored twice, and Western Kentucky's bullpen tossed seven scoreless innings in a win over Mississippi State. Cody Coll (2-1) was credited with the win with a scoreless inning, John Harman struck out four batters in 1.1 innings and Josh Bartley earned his first save for the Hilltoppers (7-8). Wes Rea went 2 for 2 with an RBI for the Bulldogs (15-4).

CBI: Around the Bases (3/11)

PG: Moore leads shutout over ASU

No. 17 Oregon State 1, No. 25 Arizona State 0

It was a fitting battle for two programs that have won eight of the last 10 Pac-12 titles as Oregon State scored one run in the top of the ninth to beat host Arizona State 1-0.

K.J. Harrison and his nation's leading six home runs garnered most of the pre-game buzz coming into this Pac-12 opener. However, there was a stiff wind blowing in from center field that converted Phoenix Municipal Stadium into a pitcher's paradise and thus put a damper on the K.J. Harrison show.

Harrison was held hitless as he was fed a steady diet of sliders all night. He did show the ability to both lay off of a slider in the dirt, drawing a walk in his first at-bat, and also the talent to hammer the pitch when left up in the zone. Harrison did just that later in the game, driving a crippled slider into right-center field for a loud out. Tonight's results for Harrison were pedestrian but he is clearly an exceptional talent with a strong hit tool and advanced approach.

Beaver starter Andrew Moore is an animal on the mound and he would absolutely be on the short list of pitchers you would pick to win one big game. Moore's stuff was ordinary, working primarily in the upper-80s with his fastball and touching 91 mph. His slider and changeup were average pitches that played up as well.

The separators for Moore are a ferocious competitive streak and his willingness to pound the ball in on righthanded hitters. Moore executed his arm-side fastball with relentless precision and it made for a long night for the Sun Devil hitters. Moore also made the play of the game in the bottom of the seventh, rushing off the mound to barehand a bases loaded squeeze bunt attempt and convert it into a 1-2-3 rally crushing double play. As he has done much of his Oregon State career, Moore willed both himself and his team to victory tonight.

Sun Devil closer Ryan Burr only threw 14 pitches but he showed tremendous velocity, hitting 95 mph repeatedly. However, the game was won as Burr inherited a walked batter and then fell behind in the count to the Beavers' Caleb Hamilton. Hamilton ambushed a Burr fastball on a 3-2 count and smoked a single into center field to plate the game-winning run.

One other prospect who stood out was Arizona State shortstop Colby Woodmansee. Woodmansee had the three assists that led to all three outs in the top of the seventh inning and in this one frame he showed excellent range and an ability to make a wide range of plays in a high pressure situation. Woodmansee's arm shows plus and his 6-foot-3 frame intrigues many scouts who have seen his improved offensive performance this year.

National Notebook:

• Since opening the Dodgertown Classic last weekend with a loss to USC, we've seen the TCU Horned Frogs go on a tear. They scored three straight wins over UCLA, Vanderbilt, and Loyola Marymount last weekend and started this weekend with another win over Baylor. And, that win came courtesy of another outstanding effort from 6-foot-7 sophomore, Mitchell Traver. Continuing his sizzling hot start, Traver tossed seven innings of one run baseball, striking out six while walking only one. For the season, Traver now has a 0.94 ERA.

• The LSU freight train kept on rolling on Friday night, even as they took a significant step up in competition against Ole Miss. The game didn't quite turn out to be the pitcher's duel we expected, as Christian Trent surrendered four earned runs over seven innings, and LSU's Jared Poche allowed two runs in five innings. Instead, this game was once again about the balance of the LSU lineup. Conner Hale led the way with a three-hit night, and Andrew Stevenson continued his consistent ways, collecting two hits.

• After a hiccup last weekend against UNC-Wilmington, Maryland ace, Mike Shawaryn returned to his dominant ways this Friday against Princeton. For the second time in three weekends, the sophomore righty racked up double digit strikeouts, as he fanned 11 batters over seven innings of shutout baseball in the Terrapins' 15-0 rout.

• It was indeed a day of upsets around the nation, and add Southern Illinois' 2-0 victory over Illinois to that list. Do not let the 3-13 record fool you, however, when it comes to Southern Illinois. This is a team with potential and that potential bubbled to the surface on Friday night. Despite another very strong effort from Illinois ace Kevin Duchene, who tossed six innings of one run baseball with nine strikeouts, the night belonged to the Southern Illinois pitching. Senior lefty, Aaron Hauge gave the Salukis eight shutout innings, pounding the zone with an 86-90 mph fastball and striking out six batters along the way.

• The Houston Cougars endured a tough weekend at the Houston College Classic a week ago, so their 9-1 victory over Buffalo on Friday was a much needed shot in the arm. Righty Andrew Lantrip gave the Cougars 7 2/3 superb innings, fanning 12 batters while walking just one. Josh Vidales paced the offense with a three hit, two RBI night at the plate.

• Now one game into conference play, Texas A&M remains undefeated. With their 6-2 victory over Auburn, they stand at 19-0. The pitching that the Aggies ran out there on Friday night has the look of a formula that could lead them to Omaha. The Aggies are now down a starter in A.J. Minter, but the now red hot Grayson Long slid into the Friday night role seamlessly against Auburn. The offense was able to scratch out six runs against Auburn ace, Keegan Thompson, but this night was about pitching. Attacking with an 89-91 mph fastball and locating his slider expertly, Long strung together six innings of two run baseball (two earned). But, following Long were two pitchers that might end up being the difference makers for the Aggies. Kyle Simonds bridged the gap to closer, Ryan Hendrix with two innings of shutout baseball. The sophomore righty, Hendrix, once again showed off plus stuff, living at 92-93 mph with his fastball. Given their offensive prowess, the Aggies being able to shorten games with quality arms like these make them a major forced to be reckoned with.

• Several of the top programs from across the country suffered losses on Friday night to open up their weekend series, including the Nos. 1 and 2 teams, Florida and Virginia.

• Tennesse rode a strong eight-inning performance and home runs by A.J. Simcox, Christin Stewart, Nathaniel Maggio and Andrew Lee to beat Logan Shore and No. 1 Florida, 6-3. Marks (2-1) allowed only one hit and two walks while striking out eight Gators, while Shore suffered his first loss of the year (3-1).

• Virginia Tech beat their in-state rivals Virginia in walkoff fashion, as Brendon Hayden drew a bases loaded walk in the bottom of the ninth to secure the 2-1 win. Hayden drove in both runs for the Hokies in the game, adding an RBI single in the first inning.

• Wichita State spoiled a fantastic start by electric UC Santa Barbara righthander Dillon Tate with a walkoff win of their own. The Shockers scored both the game-tying and game-winning runs in the bottom of the ninth, with Jordan Farris delivering the final blow, in a 3-2 victory. Tate, who sat at 94-98 mph with his fastball, worked the first eight innings, alloing only one earned run on four base hits while striking out six, using only 98 pitches.

• Pitt freshman shortstop Charles LeBlanc hit a three-run single in the seventh inning to break a 9-9 tie and propel the Panthes to a 12-9 win over No. 12 North Carolina. LeBlanc, a physical presence at 6-foot-4, 205-pounds, entered the weekend leading the team in batting at .386.

• Although Texas Tech did a nice job rebouding from a sweep at Cal State Fullerton last weekend with a pair of mid-week wins against New Mexico State, they fell to San Diego State 9-0 in their series opener on Friday. The Aztecs moves to 15-3 on the strength of Bubba Derby's strong start in which he allowed only three hits and struck out 11 Red Raiders in eight innings of work. Derby is now 2-1 on the season with a 2.23 ERA, but more impressive about his season line is his 47-to-6 strikeout-to-walk ratio in 32 1/3 innings.

• The Friday combo of Cole Irvin and Conor Harber for No. 6 Oregon suffered their first loss of the season in a 9-3 Pac-12 opening loss to Cal. The duo was touched up for all nine of the Bears' runs, seven of which were earned.

PG: Moore leads shutout over ASU

BA - Friday Roundup: Vols On The Marks, Upset Gators

Tennessee had hit just four home runs in its first 13 games. Florida sophomore ace Logan Shore had given up a grand total of one in his college career, and none this season. So of course, the Volunteers pounded three homers in the top of the first inning on Friday night in Gainesville, hit four in the game and went on to down No. 2 Florida 6-3 on the opening night of SEC play.

In the cases of two of the Tennessee home run hitters-junior A.J. Simcox and sophomore Nathaniel Maggio-the homers were the first of their careers. Feels like a time to break out the old saying: that's baseball.

"(Shore) left the ball up and Tennessee was obviously geared up for his fastball," Florida head coach Kevin O'Sullivan told gatorzone.com. "He didn't locate the ball and it was just that simple. He was one strike away from getting out of the inning down 1-0, but their guy (Maggio) had a really good at-bat. He just left the ball up. There really isn't anything else other than that. He has to get all of his pitches going. They had a game plan to jump his fastball and they did, so credit them."

The Vols' power surge was only half the story though. Senior righthander Bret Marks baffled the Gators for eight innings, carrying a no-hitter into the ninth before giving up a leadoff single to Dalton Guthrie. Marks walked the next hitter and was subsequently pulled, but his eight innings pitched nonetheless established a career high, and he struck out eight.

An unsigned 22nd-round pick of the Yankees in 2012, Marks pitched two seasons at Wallace State (Ala.) CC before coming to Tennessee in 2014. He posted a 6.43 ERA in limited action for the Vols in his first year in the program last year, but he's pitched his way into the Friday starter's role this spring and lowered his ERA to 1.17 with Friday's effort.

"When the guys start swinging the bat like I know they're capable of, it made it feel easy," Marks told utsports.com. "For me, Benito (Santiago) and (David) Houser were awesome behind the dish. The defense made some great plays behind me. The guys did a great job and I couldn't be happier for them."

Pegged as a regional team before the season, the Vols entered the weekend just 7-6, having taken series losses to Florida International and UC Irvine. One more win in Gainesville could change their outlook in a hurry.

Onto the rest of the night, where upsets and rainouts abounded.

SEE ALSO: Video highlights from Friday's action

Top 25 Upsets

(3) Virginia at Virginia Tech: Nathan Kirby (7.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 4 BB, 6 K) gave Virginia another fine outing, but the Cavs could do nothing with Virginia Tech's Sean Keselica (9 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) and lost their second straight game, 2-1. Each team scored a run in the first inning, and the score would remain 1-1 until the bottom of the ninth, when the Hokies loaded the bases with one out. The Cavs turned to closer Josh Sborz to try to get them out of the jam, but he missed with four straight pitches to Brendon Hayden for a walk-off walk.

(8) Oregon at California: After starting 13-2, Oregon has suddenly lost three straight after getting dropped 9-3 in its Pac-12 opener at Cal. Max Dutto and Chris Paul homered for the Golden Bears, who opened up a 6-0 lead through four innings to hand Cole Irvin (3 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 1 K) his first loss of the year. Cal has been surging itself, winning 13 of 14 games since losing a home series to Duke on opening weekend.

(14) Texas Tech at San Diego State: The Red Raiders' second weekend on the West Coast hasn't started any better than the first one. After getting swept at Cal State Fullerton last week, the Raiders were trounced 9-0 in Friday's series opener at San Diego State. The Aztecs got a dominant outing from Bubba Derby (8 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 11 K), while Ryan Moseley (5 IP, 7 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 1 BB, 3 K) took his second loss for Tech as SDSU scored twice in the first, four times in the fourth and never looked back.

Oregon State at (16) Arizona State: Andrew Moore (7.1 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K) and Seth Martinez (8 IP, 4 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 3 K) dueled to a standstill, as the Beavers and Sun Devils remained scoreless until the top of the ninth. The Beavers finally broke through on Caleb Hamilton's RBI single off Ryan Burr, set up by a walk and an error. Freshman Mitch Hickey closed it out in the bottom of the ninth as the youthful Beavers won their 11th straight to improve to 15-3.

(17) North Carolina at Pittsburgh: UNC scored the second-most runs it has in a game all season, but its own pitching collapsed in a back-and-forth 12-9 loss at Pitt. The Panthers knocked Zac Gallen (3.2 IP, 6 H, 8 R, 8 ER, 3 BB, 0 K) out in a six-run fourth, only to see UNC come back to take the lead on Skye Bolt's three-run homer in the sixth. That lead was short lived, as Pitt tied the game in the bottom of the inning and went ahead for good on Charles Leblanc's RBI single in the seventh off Trent Thornton.

Wake Forest at (18) Florida State: The third upset of the day in the ACC came in Tallahassee, where Wake Forest stopped Florida State's 11-game winning streak cold with a 4-1 win. Matt Pirro (5.2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 4 K) improved to 5-0 for the Deacs, who opted to bring scheduled Sunday starter Parker Dunshee (3.1 IP, 2 H, 0 R) out of the bullpen to finish the job. Wake outhit FSU 12-4 for the game.

(21) UC Santa Barbara at Wichita State: Dillon Tate (8 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K) threw well once again, but the UCSB bullpen couldn't protect a 2-1 lead in the ninth, losing 3-2. Daniel Kihle's RBI single off Joe Record tied it and, after a pitching change, Jordan Farris' walk-off RBI single off Connor Baits ended it. Woody Woodward (2-for-4, 1 RBI) led the Gauchos offense.

Southern Illinois at (25) Illinois: Here's the real biggest upset of the night, as SIU came into Friday just 2-13 yet went to Champaign and shut out Illinois 2-0 behind a superb effort from Aaron Hauge (8 IP, 7 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 6 K). The Salukis scored both their runs in the top of the third off Kevin Duchene (6 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 9 K), who took his first loss of the year.

Other Top 25 Results

Mississippi at (1) Louisiana State: Conner Hale's two-run double keyed a three-run fourth inning as LSU ran its winning streak to 14 with a 6-4 win against Ole Miss to open SEC play, handing the Rebels' Christian Trent (7 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 K) his first collegiate loss in the process. The Rebels were able to get Jared Poche' (5 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K) out of the game in the sixth, but the LSU bullpen preserved the lead, with freshman Jesse Stallings picking up his nation-leading eighth save.

Baylor at (4) Texas Christian: TCU won its Big 12 opener in typical fashion, as Mitchell Traver (7 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) and two relievers combined to hold Baylor to four hits in a 3-1 win. Cody Jones (4-for-4) led the TCU offense and drove in the first run of the game with an RBI infield single in the third.

Arkansas at (5) Vanderbilt: Rain washed out three of the SEC's seven series openers, including this one between the Commodores and Razorbacks. They'll play a doubleheader Saturday.

Fairfield at (6) Central Florida

UCF senior Tommy Williams hit for the cycle, while standout freshman Cre Finfrock (7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 11 K) turned in the best start of his young career as the Knights breezed past winless (0-6) Fairfield 11-1. Dylan Moore and Derrick Salberg also had three hits apiece, while the Knights piled up 17 as a team.

Kentucky at (7) South Carolina: Kentucky actually had a 1-0 lead through four innings, but Max Schrock's grand slam in the fifth turned the game around, and South Carolina kept piling on from there en route to a 10-1 win. Wil Crowe (7 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 BB, 10 K) retired 16 of the final 18 Kentucky hitters he faced and matched a career high for strikeouts. He and reliever Cody Mincey (2 IP, 0 H) combined on a one-hitter.

Washington State at (9) Southern California: The Trojans eased into Pac-12 play with a 10-3 win against Washington State, led by four hits from leadoff man Bobby Stahel. The Cougars did keep it close until USC pulled away with a four-run sixth, keyed by Timmy Robinson's two-run double. Brent Wheatley (7 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 8 K) picked up the win.

Auburn at (10) Texas A&M: Grayson Long (6 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 7 K) assumed the Friday starter's role, replacing the injured A.J. Minter, and the Aggies kept rolling, beating Auburn 6-2 to stay perfect at 19-0. Hunter Melton (2-for-4) had all six RBIs for the Aggies, his second-inning grand slam off Keegan Thompson (7 IP, 10 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 4 BB, 4 K) giving them the lead for good.

Washington at (11) UCLA: While the UCLA offense still looks to regain its footing, the Bruins got a sterling performance from ace James Kaprielian (7 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K) to edge Washington 2-0. Kevin Kramer's solo homer, his fourth of the year, in the bottom of the first gave UCLA a lead it would hold all night, although the Bruins wouldn't score again until scratching out an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth.

Louisiana Tech at (12) Rice: Kevin McCanna (7 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 4 K) gave the Owls a strong start, but they trailed 2-1 entering the bottom of the eighth before rallying for three runs to win it 4-2-a rally that featured only one hit. Three walks, a passed ball and a sac fly gave Rice the lead. Charlie Warren's RBI single to make it 4-2 was the Owls' only base knock of the inning.

Boston College at (13) Louisville: Weather also washed out the series opener between the Cardinals and Eagles. Their battle for bird superiority will wait for a Saturday doubleheader.

Alabama at (15) Mississippi State: Another one sunk by rain. Another doubleheader Saturday.

North Carolina State at (19) Miami: The one ranked ACC team to avoid Friday's upset bug was Miami, albeit barely. David Thompson's walk-off home run leading off the bottom of the 10th gave the Hurricanes a 3-2 win against N.C. State. The Canes had to piece together their pitching after starter Thomas Woodrey was a late scratch with a stomach virus, using six pitchers to hold NCSU scoreless after the second inning.

Texas Southern at (20) Dallas Baptist: The Patriots won their seventh straight by a 6-1 count against Texas Southern. Drew Turbin and Chane Lynch led the offense with two hits apiece, while Cory Taylor (6 IP, 4 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K) picked up his second win.

West Virginia at (22) Texas: The other Big 12 series to get underway Friday nearly saw another upset as Texas came from behind to beat West Virginia 4-3 in 10 innings. The Longhorns trailed 3-1 before solo homers by Brooks Marlow in the sixth and C.J. Hinojosa in the seventh brought them back. Parker French (9 IP, 7 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 1 BB, 7 K) went nine innings but did not get a decision. Marlow led off the bottom of the 10th with a double and came in to score on Connor Macalla's walk-off sac fly.

(23) Cal State Fullerton at Indiana: Mother Nature won in Bloomington as well, so these two will kick their series off with a doubleheader Saturday.

Buffalo at (24) Houston: Trying to get back on track, Houston won its third straight by drubbing 3-8 Buffalo by a 9-1 score. Andrew Lantrip (7.2 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K) set a career high for strikeouts, and Josh Vidales (3-for-3, 2 RBI) paced the Cougars offense.

BA - Friday Roundup: Vols On The Marks

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT