ADVERTISEMENT

Saturday (1/24) News Links

LJS: Huskers healthy to open practice

Nebraska baseball coach Darin Erstad said Friday that only freshman outfielder Elijah Dilday was missing from preseason workouts. Dilday had shoulder surgery last fall, and Erstad said he may be available by midseason.

The Huskers have 36 players on the roster, but must get down to 34 by the start of the season.

* LINEUP OPEN TO START THE YEAR: Freshmen Jake Meyers (Omaha Westside), Byron Hood (Norris) and Mitch Steinhoff (Crete) are slated as pitchers for now. All can play other positions.

Jake Schleppenbach, a Lincoln Pius X graduate who transferred from Hutchinson (Kansas) Community College, is in the mix at second base with junior Jake Placzek and former starting shortstop Wes Edrington, who missed last season with an injury. Steven Reveles, who started last season at shortstop, figures to be the leader there. Ben Miller, Austin Christensen and Scott Schreiber figure to battle last year's starter, Blake Headley, at first base. Headley played third base two seasons ago.

There will also be a spot open in the outfield, playing alongside center fielder Ryan Boldt and right fielder Austin Darby.

"We will not rely on one or two guys to carry us," Erstad said. "We're going to have grind-it-out guys 1-though-9 and make it very uncomfortable for opposing pitchers."

* HOST OF PITCHERS IN THE MIX: Erstad said Jake Hohensee of Lincoln East may be in the mix for a third starting spot behind preseason All-American Chance Sinclair and senior Kyle Kubat.

The coach said six to seven pitchers will be battling for the Sunday starting spot and the midweek starts in the rotation.

* SMALLER SEAMS COULD LEAD TO MORE OFFENSE: The Huskers purchased 3,600 new baseballs for the season. The new ball has a 1/16th-inch smaller rise to the stitches on the ball - adding length to well-hit balls, Erstad said.

"I've heard reports of crazy home run numbers, but maybe the pitching wasn't very good," he said. "We'll see. To me, it's the park and the weather. This place (Haymarket Park) can be a launching pad if it's warm, and if it's cold, the ball is not going anyplace."

He said there may be more runs produced in college baseball this year because of the new ball.

LJS: Huskers healthy to open practice

LJS: Lubach ready to help lead Huskers

Tanner Lubach got through his hourlong game of "Guess Who?" with a fifth-grader at Eastridge Elementary School, then rushed back to the first official Nebraska baseball practice at Haymarket Park.

He finished interviews and sped to the bullpen, quickly put on his chest protector, shin guards and mask, and started working with Nebraska right-hander Jeff Chesnut.

That's the way baseball is supposed to go for a senior starting catcher.

"I've got nothing to lose as a senior. I love every part of this," said Lubach, who graduated from Lincoln Southwest and took over as Nebraska's backstop two seasons ago after attending Hutchinson Community College in Kansas his freshman year.

Lubach said Friday he was excited about his last-chance senior season that starts Feb. 13 with a game at UNLV.

He earned plenty of attention last year when he came back from a midseason, nine-game break because of an ankle injury and hit .282, up from .239 his first season at NU, went 2-for-3 in the last two games of the Big Ten Tournament and became the first Husker to hit a home run over the fence at TD Ameritrade Park Omaha.

He expects more power this year.

"Especially since I bought one of these (a Varo Arc bat weight) that I saw Alex Gordon using last year," Lubach said, pointing to his new bat sleeve.

He was named Academic All-Big Ten, won the Nebraska HERO Leadership Award and was named to the Tom Osborne Citizenship Team.

"It wasn't the easiest road to go through, but I made it this far and I am ready to let it all go this year," Lubach said.

The convenience of experience for both Lubach and Husker coach Darin Erstad is measurable.

"He knows the signs and gets the tempo of the game from Coach (Ted) Silva fast," Erstad said. "Kids coming in here haven't done it that fast. Pitchers, Greg Maddux, for instance, wanted the ball quickly to keep the rhythm of the game going. Tanner can do that for us."

Lubach also is developing power at the plate, Erstad said.

"We've added guys with power and the new flat-seam ball helps guys with the ability to drive the ball," Erstad said. "Ben Miller really started to understand how to get backspin when you pull the ball. Scott Schreiber has interesting power. (Ryan) Boldt was disciplined at the plate in the past and can pick his spots now. Lubach has another year of understanding and is beginning to show more power."

Lubach smacked 14 extra-base hits, including three home runs, last year. He raised his slugging percentage almost 100 points from the previous year and boosted his on-base percentage from .308 as a sophomore to .337 last season.

"I'm learning to use all of the field - start with right-center and then the whole ballpark," he said. "I don't want to be pigeonholed by a pitcher as a pull hitter, because then all I will see is low and away.

"Individually, my goals are to be a better hitter, catcher, teammate. You learn after last year, when I was out and we had some other injuries and Blake Headley, our third baseman, was trying out for catcher. I have a lot more positivity about this season. No more deer-in-the-headlight feeling like my first year and no more wondering if I can get to a pitcher quicker to help Coach Silva send a message to the pitcher."

LJS: Lubach ready to help lead Huskers

BA: Baseball Gets Big TV Buildup From SEC Network

Southeastern Conference baseball will get a big boost this season from the SEC Network, which, in its first year covering baseball, will quadruple the name of games televised from 2014. And at least one coach believes the fallout will be widespread.

"I think without question TV is impacting the game nationwide, and it will impact the SEC more than we can imagine," Auburn coach Sunny Golloway said. "When I was at Oklahoma (2005-13 as head coach), we had SoonerVision, just like the Longhorns had the Longhorn Network, and it was such a tremendous advantage, especially in recruiting because kids are watching us all the time."

The SEC Network unveiled the schedule on Tuesday that calls for more than 80 games to air on the ESPN-owned network, beginning with a doubleheader on Friday, Feb. 21 with Florida State playing at Georgia at 4:30 p.m. EST, followed by Miami at Florida at 7:30 p.m. The full TV schedule can be found at the SEC's website.

More than 100 games will be broadcast across ESPN entities (ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU or the SEC Network). Additionally 350 games will be available to viewers with access to SECNetwork.com and the WatchESPN app, with an SEC Network subscription. Also, the SEC Network and ESPN2 will broadcast the SEC Tournament in its entirety, the first time that has happened.

"No question it will impact recruiting," Golloway said. "Kids want to play on TV and they will have an opportunity to compete on TV and give them a chance to become recognizable and the SEC Network is at the forefront of that."

Golloway said while it's clear recruiting will be impacted, he found another, perhaps unintended occurrence.

"The impact that surprised me was the home attendance," Golloway said of SoonerVision. "I think (the SEC Network) is going to help our home attendance, it's going to help everybody around the league. I've seen it directly at Oklahoma."

Schedule highlights include 12 appearances from College World Series champion Vanderbilt and a special edition of Bases Loaded Coverage on May 15, with final games before the SEC Tournament.

BA: Baseball Gets Big TV Buildup From SEC Network

ADVERTISEMENT