ADVERTISEMENT

Sallis / Heartland Hoops Classic

mgbreis

Defensive Coordinator
Dec 16, 2004
Anyone else attend the Heartland Hoops Classic in GI last Saturday? I went to watch another team and stayed to watch Sallis and MN take on IMG. I'm glad I did, it was a crazy game to appreciate that level of athlete. To say I was impressed with some of the MN kids is an understatement. I can see why Sallis is so highly ranked, he would be a big get for Fred if there's any chance it can happen. Also pretty impressed with Jasen Green, especially considering he's only a sophomore. He swatted the IMG 7'1" guy at least twice. But probably my biggest surprise was Max Murrell. Hard to explain but he plays a lot differently than he looks. You look at him and think "Brady Heiman" but he's a lot more athletic and physical than that. Too bad he's going to Stanford.

Going to try to go watch them for the first time on Tuesday against Donovan Williams. Murrell hasn't been much of a scorer for them this year, so I was curious what was going on with him. I kind of assumed they're just so guard oriented that he doesn't get a lot of touches.

Reactions: newAD and mgbreis
6-7 Jasen Green is another player Hoieberg should go after I was impressed with him when MN played Millard South that night...

Be huge for Hoieberg if he could get both these Millard North kids..

Reactions: mgbreis
Going to try to go watch them for the first time on Tuesday against Donovan Williams. Murrell hasn't been much of a scorer for them this year, so I was curious what was going on with him. I kind of assumed they're just so guard oriented that he doesn't get a lot of touches.
That would be a fun one to watch!

6-7 Jasen Green is another player Hoieberg should go after I was impressed with him when MN played Millard South that night...

Be huge for Hoieberg if he could get both these Millard North kids..

Hoiberg has already offered Jasen Green. Sallis was always a long-shot, even more so now that he's a 5-star and KU offered. But you can't fault Fred and Matt's effort, they are doing everything they can.

Another in-state kid Hoiberg should look at is Isaac Traudt from Grand Island - 6'8 sophomore point guard who can shoot and handle the ball. Had 33 points, including 6 threes, against Creighton Prep last week.

Hoiberg has already offered Jasen Green. Sallis was always a long-shot, even more so now that he's a 5-star and KU offered. But you can't fault Fred and Matt's effort, they are doing everything they can.

Another in-state kid Hoiberg should look at is Isaac Traudt from Grand Island - 6'8 sophomore point guard who can shoot and handle the ball. Had 33 points, including 6 threes, against Creighton Prep last week.
Fred definitely didn't stay to watch the GI game, saw him leaving.

Anyone else attend the Heartland Hoops Classic in GI last Saturday? I went to watch another team and stayed to watch Sallis and MN take on IMG. I'm glad I did, it was a crazy game to appreciate that level of athlete. To say I was impressed with some of the MN kids is an understatement. I can see why Sallis is so highly ranked, he would be a big get for Fred if there's any chance it can happen. Also pretty impressed with Jasen Green, especially considering he's only a sophomore. He swatted the IMG 7'1" guy at least twice. But probably my biggest surprise was Max Murrell. Hard to explain but he plays a lot differently than he looks. You look at him and think "Brady Heiman" but he's a lot more athletic and physical than that. Too bad he's going to Stanford.
Did i read that right that IMG had 21 or 25 dunks in the game??

Did i read that right that IMG had 21 or 25 dunks in the game??
My 6yo nephew was counting them but got bored at about 12. I think I read IMG had 21 and MN had about 12? The dunking in the first quarter was insane.

Murrell IMHO could easily be more of a factor offensively (Currently averaging 9.3 pts a game) but on MN, I guess he doesn't need to, and appears to be totally fine with it.

In a way, the kid has it made, he has signed his LOI to a high quality academic school, and at 6'8" he can just for the most part worry about playing D and rebounding. He has good feet, is a good defender, a very good high school shot blocker, and can shoot from long range. I hope he does well at Stanford.

Murrell IMHO could easily be more of a factor offensively (Currently averaging 9.3 pts a game) but on MN, I guess he doesn't need to, and appears to be totally fine with it.

In a way, the kid has it made, he has signed his LOI to a high quality academic school, and at 6'8" he can just for the most part worry about playing D and rebounding. He has good feet, is a good defender, a very good high school shot blocker, and can shoot from long range. I hope he does well at Stanford.
He took it down the right side of the lane vs IMG and threw down a two-handed dunk. I think after that IMG concluded "I guess we need to guard this guy".

Reactions: newAD
Watched the highlights. No idea how Millard North kept it reasonable. IMG looked like a college team out there from a physical standpoint just dunking on MN in every way imaginable. If MN could have played a little more physical, which admittedly is a tall task considering the talent difference, they could have pulled the upset. Just way too many easy lobs in half-court and transition points. MN also very sloppy with the ball with some entry passes I'm guessing they aren't used to getting intercepted.

As for Sallis, does not seem very quick. Seemed to have one move to his left that IMG easily defended man-to-man. Is he a pure shooter? Seemed to take a lot of midrange shots that are probably not in Hoiberg's gameplan. Hard to gauge him from one game against an opponent with a vast talent advantage.

Watched the highlights. No idea how Millard North kept it reasonable. IMG looked like a college team out there from a physical standpoint just dunking on MN in every way imaginable. If MN could have played a little more physical, which admittedly is a tall task considering the talent difference, they could have pulled the upset. Just way too many easy lobs in half-court and transition points. MN also very sloppy with the ball with some entry passes I'm guessing they aren't used to getting intercepted.

As for Sallis, does not seem very quick. Seemed to have one move to his left that IMG easily defended man-to-man. Is he a pure shooter? Seemed to take a lot of midrange shots that are probably not in Hoiberg's gameplan. Hard to gauge him from one game against an opponent with a vast talent advantage.
As for the game, I could be wrong but it felt like IMG was getting on and off the gas as needed throughout the game. I made the remark before half that it almost felt like their coach said, "No dunking this quarter, I want to see you guys actually use other skills." I'm sure I'm wrong!

I was impressed with Murrell. Slight build but shot well and had some nice blocked shots. MN couldn't guard IMG man to man and went to zone and that left the lob to a baseline cutter wide open. MN also started in full court press and that led dunks on back end. Only took 3 or 4 times for that to happen for them to drop the press.
The IMG coach was very complimentary of MN after the game. Said they have played quite a few top 25 teams and MN was better than most of them. And read somewhere that MN coach said his top 7 players have scholarship offers to various college levels.

Reactions: newAD
He took it down the right side of the lane vs IMG and threw down a two-handed dunk. I think after that IMG concluded "I guess we need to guard this guy".

Wish I could have been there to see it. That result bodes well for Omaha high school hoops.

Decent video! I can't find the Murrell dunk, did I imagine it?? Pretty sure I didn't...

The Huskers and Fred Hoiberg are very much in it for Sallis. He’s been quoted saying playing at home, for his home town team and a place where his family and friends could come watch him play every single home game is HUGE for him. Two, he knows the Huskers would be HIS team. At Kansas there are a number of players as good or better then him. Just because Kansas offered doesn’t mean Hoiberg and the Huskers suddenly have no shot with him. It almost appears to be a Kansas vs Huskers battle for Hunter Sallis right now. I think in the end playing at home so his family and friends could make every home game will win out and he will be a Husker.

we are also in good shape with a Rivals Top 50 Center Adama Sonogo. He’s due to visit soon. Getting Sallis and this guy would be big time for our Huskers and Hoiberg. GBR

Last edited:
The Huskers and Fred Hoiberg are very much in it for Sallis. He’s been quoted saying playing at home, for his home town team and a place where his family and friends could come watch him play every single home game is HUGE for him. Two, he knows the Huskers would be HIS team. At Kansas there are a number of players as good or better then him. Just because Kansas offered doesn’t mean Hoiberg and the Huskers suddenly have no shot with him. It almost appears to be a Kansas vs Huskers battle for Hunter Sallis right now. I think in the end playing at home so his family and friends could make every home game will win out and he will be a Husker.

we are also in good shape with a Rivals Top 50 Center Adama Sonogo. He’s due to visit soon. Getting Sallis and this guy would be big time for our Huskers and Hoiberg. GBR

If playing at home near family and friends is that important to him, wouldn't he go to Creighton? I hate to say it, but their program is in much better shape than ours.

Fred is trying to sell him hard on his NBA connections. We'll see if it pays off.

If playing at home near family and friends is that important to him, wouldn't he go to Creighton? I hate to say it, but their program is in much better shape than ours..

Then it would depend on what conference he would prefer playing in and you would have to throw in facilities... I admit I know nothing about Creighton’s but Nebraska is amount the best in the country, so that also could come into play..

HS with a one handed putback jam of a missed jumper in the 1Q and beat his man off the dribble for a one handed tomahawk slam in the 2Q. He's buried several open jumpers off of pick and roll as well.

Williams is great when he drives but has settled for at least half a dozen 3s, all of which he has missed and none of which have been particularly close.

Murrell has a high skill level and will be a good college player in a year or two.

Green is already a dude and he's only in 10th grade. He can play. Swatted Williams on one drive down the middle where he helped.

Entertaining first half. MN 33 to 30.

Interesting. I wish Williams the absolute best of luck but it's not like Nebraska needs more shooting projects.

He's a great driver. MN really had no answer for him but he bailed them out a bunch by settling. Probably went 1 of 10 from 3.

MN 69 to 67 final. Great atmosphere as north star brought a really good crowd.

Creighton would be equally cool. Keep a talent like this in state. How did Millard North end up with these kids is there open enrollment?

He's a great driver. MN really had no answer for him but he bailed them out a bunch by settling. Probably went 1 of 10 from 3.

MN 69 to 67 final. Great atmosphere as north star brought a really good crowd.

news tonight said he went 1-16 from 3..
Can see why Hoieberg cooled on him..

Reactions: TheNewNU
I will say this about Williams. I would guess he is not 100 percent yet. He played good defense on HS and did guard him basically the entire 4th qtr. No one on MN could keep him out of the lane. A couple of times HS got switched on to him and Williams went by him like he wasnt even there. MN had 4 of the 5 best players on the court and Williams lost by 2.

So shot selection was poor but there's a lot to like about him. And I'll also say that he did a great job of playing the villain, which makes it a hell of a lot more fun to watch.

Creighton would be equally cool. Keep a talent like this in state. How did Millard North end up with these kids is there open enrollment?

Playing for Creighton cool? Not sure why him playing in an inferior conference would be cool. Creighton appears to be on their way to a lofty seed but will NOT makes the Sweet 16 once again. Enjoy that low ceiling Jays fans.

Didnt a average Michigan team stomp the Jays and San Diego St boat raced them?

Last edited:
Sounds like MN tried to kill the clock and a different kid from NS went bananas from 3 at the end of the game. Maybe NU should look at him!

Playing for Creighton cool? Not sure why him playing in an inferior conference would be cool. Creighton appears to be on their way to a lofty seed but will NOT makes the Sweet 16 once again. Enjoy that low ceiling Jays fans.

Didnt a average Michigan team stomp the Jays and San Diego St boat raced them?

Well the Big East is the number 1 conference in the country this year according to RPI, so there’s that.

news tonight said he went 1-16 from 3..
Can see why Hoieberg cooled on him..

Yet he still had 31 points. If he shoots his usual 35% from 3, he would have dropped over 40 points on the #1 team in the state. I think it's unfortunate to let a talent like him get away from Lincoln.

Yet he still had 31 points. If he shoots his usual 35% from 3, he would have dropped almost 50 points on the #1 team in the state. I think it's unfortunate to let a talent like him get away from Lincoln.
I totally agree, but it seemed like he decided to go somewhere else as soon as we took Teddy Allen. If it’s a choice between the two, I’d take Teddy but there certainly is risk.

Reactions: scarletred
Sounds like MN tried to kill the clock and a different kid from NS went bananas from 3 at the end of the game. Maybe NU should look at him!

He was a portly kid. Hit 2 very deep 3s against good D. The one should have been a 4 pt play.

Well the Big East is the number 1 conference in the country this year according to RPI, so there’s that.
Indeed. A Nebraska basketball fan talking smack about any team with “a lofty seed” alone is ridiculous on its face, but throwing in (incorrect) information about a conference pretty much makes that fan equal to a smack-talking Vanderbilt football fan.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha
Yet he still had 31 points. If he shoots his usual 35% from 3, he would have dropped over 40 points on the #1 team in the state. I think it's unfortunate to let a talent like him get away from Lincoln.

Yes, I’d agree losing talent like this that had committed is unfortunate...

Admit I don’t know why he changed his commitment, whether it was Hoieberg cooling off of him or he doesn’t feel comfortable with performing in Hoieberg offense..

Indeed. A Nebraska basketball fan talking smack about any team with “a lofty seed” alone is ridiculous on its face, but throwing in (incorrect) information about a conference pretty much makes that fan equal to a smack-talking Vanderbilt football fan.
But Creighton lost to a team that's 26-0 and probably won't even make the Sweet 16! Might as well just fold the program.

Fun fact: Big East bottom-feeder DePaul went 3-0 against the Big Ten this year, including road wins at Iowa and Minnesota.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT