ADVERTISEMENT

Safe to say the Northwestern Head Coach isn't impressed with

Northwestern has had a lot of trouble with OSU and Michigan as have most teams in the B1G over the years. The Cats had 20 years of an administration that virtually didn't care a fig about football, which didn't help.

On the other hand, we've done quite a bit better against Wisconsin and Iowa than Nebraska has since you've joined the B1G, and those are two teams you have to beat to win the Western Division.

I haven't heard Fitz say anything negative about Nebraska and doubt I will in the future. There's nobody more careful about making statements that might give opposing teams bulletin board material. So I'm assuming this thread is an effort to fire up the fan base.

The past is the past. Nebraska has a great fan base, tradition, and the potential to again be a perennial ranked team. The Huskers should be improved this year with an excellent offense. They have an easier schedule, and should be one of the favorites to win the West. But at this point I'd say it's not out of the question for any team outside of Illinois to make a run at the division this year. That's why they play the games.
Lots of trouble comes with 1 win in 20 tries, thats 5% as you know.
Further, the two best showings lately is a 4 pt loss, then a 10 pt loss, after that, it gets worse.
I would say osu is entirely on another level, as a 1 in 20 chance to win easily falls in vegas numbers regarding ownership of another team.
Dont misunderstand, while I'm not saying our Huskers are there at that level, nor am I saying we have anything to show lately,or in awhile that we are or were close, BUT, at least I acknowledge the fact osu and a few others are on that different level, and I know for a fact, because we too were once on that level.
Because you come to play the game doesnt get you there, but owning a team 19 out of 20 does.
So yes, theres limits,even under great coaching.

Excuses. They made plays when it mattered, we didn't.
Exactly. Sure we gave them a first down with a stupid penalty after we had them third and fifteen from the one, but too many on here ignore the fact that they then marched about 85 yards with very little time for a TD. Let’s face it: our defense sucked last year and our offense, though prolific at times and put up big numbers, often crapped itself when it mattered. How many freaking fourth down tries did we have that got stuffed? How many slow starts on offense?

We built a lead last year then starting joking and laughing on the sidelines like we had it in the bag. Northwestern played four full quarters with heart and discipline. We got to the last five minutes of the game and decided to start playing like undisciplined middle schoolers.

Northwestern won that game straight up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mack In Motion
I remember us going 80 yds against the number 7 defense with 3 minutes left to tie the game against iowa, needing and getting a 2 pt conversion for the tie.
Their defense failed them, their offense saved their butts.
I get our defense was bad last year, but showed signs of improvement except one area, the line, which is where it all starts. We had no choice but to play who we had, but things have changed, more and bigger bodies this year.
And that 80 yd drive should even be easier, even against a seventh rated defense.
I won't equate this staff with our failures of the past, where we got worst as the season wore on, all documented in our stats from those previous staffs.
We actually got better as the season wore on, even with huge depth problems, and several missing off the D due to injury.
Sorry, I just dont care for doubting at this point, but I agree on earning it.

This is inaccurate. He never once mentioned Nebraska. He referred to the pundits universally dismissing Northwestern. He called the pre-season predictions click bait. You can twist that into a slam about Nebraska, but he says the same thing every year no matter who is predicted to win and because Northwestern is nearly always projected lower than they end up. The comment was his opinion of an underrated Northwestern not an over rated Nebraska.

All I know is Northwestern won the West by 3 games last year. Not one, they ran the table in the West. They have won 15 of their last 16 conference regular season games. Yes, Northwestern was lucky to win because of a Nebraska’s complete melt down. Northwestern played poorly that game but found a way to win. These things tend to even out. Anyone remember the Westerkamp Hail Mary?

Frost may have the Huskers on the rise, but the other teams in the West aren’t going to roll over and play dead for him. Nebraska has a VERY favorable schedule to win the West and probably should be a favorite to win, but Fitz’s comment addresses a lack of respect for his team not a slam at the Huskers.

He was referring to the fact his team wasn't picked to win the West by ANYONE yet given that Nebraska was the pick one can draw the conclusion
This is inaccurate. He never once mentioned Nebraska. He referred to the pundits universally dismissing Northwestern. He called the pre-season predictions click bait. You can twist that into a slam about Nebraska, but he says the same thing every year no matter who is predicted to win and because Northwestern is nearly always projected lower than they end up. The comment was his opinion of an underrated Northwestern not an over rated Nebraska.

All I know is Northwestern won the West by 3 games last year. Not one, they ran the table in the West. They have won 15 of their last 16 conference regular season games. Yes, Northwestern was lucky to win because of a Nebraska’s complete melt down. Northwestern played poorly that game but found a way to win. These things tend to even out. Anyone remember the Westerkamp Hail Mary?

Frost may have the Huskers on the rise, but the other teams in the West aren’t going to roll over and play dead for him. Nebraska has a VERY favorable schedule to win the West and probably should be a favorite to win, but Fitz’s comment addresses a lack of respect for his team not a slam at the Huskers.

He didn't have to mention Nebraska, as it was established already Nebraska was the pre-season pick. I also GUESSING that the click bait reference was a reference to writing what Nebraska fans will click on and not the 12 NW fans.

Thanks...now maybe...head back to your site?

Northwestern folks are pretty smart. Thanks, Captain Nick.

Look, no Northwestern fan thinks we're going to turn into some sort of Ohio State, Michigan or SEC-style powerhouse. We do have some hurdles (such as trying to recruit smart kids and graduating 98-99 percent of them), and most of us have no problem with that. I think we've made something like 70 offers this year. Other schools have offered hundreds of kids.

But on the other hand, we're not going to accept that we have some sort of competitive cap on wins or whatever you want to call it. Fitz now has had three 10-win seasons and two nine-win ones, so I don't think I'm going to buy an eight-win ceiling for the program.

We certainly have the potential to challenge for the B1G West as presently constituted on occasion, and we can aim for a level similar to that of Stanford, which, while not a top-10 elite team, has certainly had some very good stretches of football in recent years.

With the new recruiting facility in place and continuity on the staff, recruiting has already improved and is looking better as time goes on. Our recruits so far this year have had 55 offers from other B1G schools. In contrast, the 2008 recruits had 7 offers from other B1G schools (and Fitz actually did fairly well with the 2008 bunch).

As I said, Ohio State and Michigan we're not (and frankly don't want to be in some respects). Hell, I'm sure we'll be hard-pressed to keep up with Nebraska if Frost is the real deal. But don't look for the Cats to roll over and go away. That's not going to happen.
I've always had a soft spot for NW. If the Huskers don't win the west, I hope NW does.

Absolutely correct!
Fritz is a very good coach , neither he or his team get the respect they deserve

Absolutely correct!
Fritz is a very good coach , neither he or his team get the respect they deserve

Good point, what has hurt them 4 of the last 5 years is that they have had a hard time getting out of the gate to start the season...

Winning 14 of the last 15 conference games not counting the CCG gets forgotten..

Northwestern better find an offense this year or they have no shot. Their defense was very good last year against average normal big10 offenses. However when they played against wide open offenses with real playmakers they got torched.

If iver the next ten years the end of the game sets up the same as it did against us last year. Entire field to go with little time. We win that match up 9 out of 10 times

Absolutely correct!

They definitely play very well as a team. Even if they’re not the most talented their quality of play will get them somewhere. Something we’ve lacked for awhile now.

ADVERTISEMENT