ADVERTISEMENT

Sadness

Pennsyhusker

Athletic Director
Aug 6, 2009
Harveys Lake, PA
Been a rabid Husker fan since my dad took me to my first Husker game in 1964 when I was 6. I was at the game of the century with my dad and brother in Norman. I was in Miami, January 1, 1984 and was crushed by that loss. Been to every NU-OU home game since 1970.

I will never stop being a Husker fan. To me it means family, my love of my hometown, Lincoln, and pride in my home State. I still remember climbing the old chain link fence around the stadium to sneak into games with my Belmont buddies back in the early seventies, before they added all the concrete and barbed wire. I sold coke in the stands when I was in high school at Lincoln High. So this team is in my blood, my DNA. I could no more stop being a fan than I could cut off my own arm.

Today is the lowest I have felt about Husker football in my entire life. Watching us implode last night after outplaying MSU was a nightmare and knowing how damn important to the future of our program the game was made me doubly sick.
But I will never give up on this program or stop being a fan. Today I feel nothing but sadness. Not anger or bitterness or animosity. Just sadness, like when you realize something you hold precious really is lost.

Frost will get fired this year. I am 99% sure of that. And yet another coaching search will begin.
We will be back. We will be a good program again someday and maybe sooner than we think. But for now we need to hang in there. Don’t stop going to games. Don’t stop watching games. Don’t stop cheering for these great kids we have on this team.
GBR

Been a rabid Husker fan since my dad took me to my first Husker game in 1964 when I was 6. I was at the game of the century with my dad and brother in Norman. I was in Miami, January 1, 1984 and was crushed by that loss. Been to every NU-OU home game since 1970.

I will never stop being a Husker fan. To me it means family, my love of my hometown, Lincoln, and pride in my home State. I still remember climbing the old chain link fence around the stadium to sneak into games with my Belmont buddies back in the early seventies, before they added all the concrete and barbed wire. I sold coke in the stands when I was in high school at Lincoln High. So this team is in my blood, my DNA. I could no more stop being a fan than I could cut off my own arm.

Today is the lowest I have felt about Husker football in my entire life. Watching us implode last night after outplaying MSU was a nightmare and knowing how damn important to the future of our program the game was made me doubly sick.
But I will never give up on this program or stop being a fan. Today I feel nothing but sadness. Not anger or bitterness or animosity. Just sadness, like when you realize something you hold precious really is lost.

Frost will get fired this year. I am 99% sure of that. And yet another coaching search will begin.
We will be back. We will be a good program again someday and maybe sooner than we think. But for now we need to hang in there. Don’t stop going to games. Don’t stop watching games. Don’t stop cheering for these great kids we have on this team.
GBR
Why it's even more of a gut punch to know if we had a competent staff we would be 5-0 and top 10 right now. Sick :mad:

What's frustrating is seeing the future on the field knowing that this is the best it is going to get. The HC is too head strong and stubborn to see he is harming this this team. The message he sent the team with 22 seconds left in the game says it all. He would rather wait for overtime rather than try to win it now. If I was a player I would have been pissed. The talent on the field is there for the most part, but the leadership is not.

GBR
Amen I couldn’t have said it any better, it used to be fun Sunday morning quarterback but not anymore i won’t stop watching or listening to them Im numb almost speechless when it comes to seeing the same old problems

I'm about as old and seen lots of NU football. I can't believe we could play so damn good on defense and still lose. The special teams ....you can't make this shit up. I fought the game over and over last night in my dreams. I'm starting to believe Frost is cursed. Nobody has this bad of luck. I might be crazy but as of today I think we beat NW and surprise Mich. I don't think the Frost story is over yet. I'm not rooting for him , it's just a feeling.

I'm about as old and seen lots of NU football. I can't believe we could play so damn good on defense and still lose. The special teams ....you can't make this shit up. I fought the game over and over last night in my dreams. I'm starting to believe Frost is cursed. Nobody has this bad of luck. I might be crazy but as of today I think we beat NW and surprise Mich. I don't think the Frost story is over yet. I'm not rooting for him , it's just a feeling.
Hope you are right! Wouldn’t it be unbelievably amazing if we ran the table the rest of the way and ended up 9-3? Ha.

Florida State is going through the same pain right now but not for as long of a period of time. TN hasn't found their guy yet either.

Back when Alabama was a 500% winning program for about a decade or a little longer than that, they would lose games to Southern Miss and wear grocery bags over their heads at games. Then Nick Saban arrived and the rest is history.

Many years ago USC would have 2-6, 3-5 type of conference seasons in the pac and then they hired their 4th choice. The name? Pete Carroll, a recently fired NFL head coach.

Oklahoma was getting destroyed for years and then Stoops.

All it takes to get Nebraska back to winning football is fire Frost, make a good hire and things can turn around in 1 or 2 seasons. This isn't a depleted roster of talent. Keeping Frost would deplete the roster of talent though since the current class is last in the Big Ten.

There are three names that I am confident could make an immediate impact on turning Nebraska football around: Jeff Monken, Chris Klieman, and Jeff Hafley.

I've been watching college football for 35 years now. I've seen some amazing dynasty runs, some horrendous football teams, and some really bad coaches. Scott Frost is going to go down in college football history with this one quiz question in 30 years: Who was the only head coach in college football to never have a winning season besides one season where he went undefeated?

I’m in the same category as you and Pennsy and have been a fan since the Devaney era and seen the Nebraska Oklahoma game in 1963 winning our first conference title against in 20 years..

Really thought we were going to win this game until that incompetent put return after that I knew we would piss it down our legs..

SF isn’t curst, he is the one responsible during his time here to have a sound special teams play and he as failed my not hiring a ST coach and having a useless QB Coach and a poor offensive line coach..

I’m behind this team every game but my patience is basically over with no confidence in this staff turning the program around..

If TA retains him, we will be in for a worse and another disappointing season next year as well..

Last edited:

GBR
Wow, that is really saying something if a lifetimer like you thinks Frost will be fired this season. I too have been going to games since I was a kid, I've been visiting my grandparents in Lincoln with my parents who were born in Nebraska since then as well. It's totally in my blood, soul, spirit.... It's a part of me and that's why it is such a crying shame as frosted. We all deserve better and sometimes when it's just not working we have to admit it's not working. It has taken a lot for me to finally come to this realization. Thanks for the words of positivity and encouragement. We can all get through this and this too shall pass.

Sadly this team is so fragile right now they are a finger nails width of imploding and frost completely loosing the team don’t be surprised if they lay an egg this come Saturday YOU never throw your players under the bus never!! That’s a sure sign of a sinking ship
I don't think he threw anybody under the bus. He is finally starting to hold people accountable for their deeds.

I’m in the same category as you and Pennsy and have been a fan since the Devaney era and seen the Nebraska Oklahoma game in 1963 winning our first conference title against in 20 years..

Really thought we were going to win this game until that incompetent put return after that I knew we would piss it down our legs..

SF isn’t curst, he is the one responsible during his time here to have a sound special teams play and he as failed my not hiring a ST coach and having a useless QB Coach and a poor offensive line coach..

I’m behind this team every game but my patience is basically over with no confidence in this staff turning the program around..

If TA retains him, we will be in for a worse and another disappointing season next year as well..
And Alberts knows this too. Which is why I am 99% certain Frost is gone.

GBR
Pennsy, we’re the same age and I feel that way too. Watched the game of the century on TV right after moving to NE from Colorado. 17-14 OU at half if I recall, lol. Season tickets for over 40 years. It IS sad—this hurts! Such high hopes when Frosty came on board but the bottom line is success or failure and Scott’s just not getting it done. Sigh….GBR.

My kids are 8 and 11 years old. Just in the last three years or so they have gotten really interested in watching games with me. Unfortunately, I still don't think they have actually seen a Husker win. At least, a win against anybody of consequence. Being high school 4-H clubs don't count.

Reactions: BleedRed78
They could all be back, minus Stille. I really hope Chinander is our DC next year.
JoJo needs to go, he's an NFL guy

same with Daniels

those guys have been a pleasure to watch

hopefully we have some speed waiting in the wings on the back end, especially at safety

The only way he may reconsider if he doesn’t have the right head coach to hire in his back pocket and makes SF make assistant coaching changes..
I've thought about this. Forcing Frost to make assistant coaching changes basically commits to another three years of Frost as head coach. The reason being Frank Solich (2003). You can't win, even if Frost continues to field losing teams. He wasn't given enough time, people would say. Then it becomes twice as hard to hire his replacement.

Frost has total control of the program. He succeeds alone, and he fails alone. That's why he's paid $5 million a year, and that's why he made all of the assistant coaching decisions without outside interference. That's why you cut him loose and give the next guy a chance to improve things.

JoJo needs to go, he's an NFL guy

same with Daniels

those guys have been a pleasure to watch

hopefully we have some speed waiting in the wings on the back end, especially at safety

JoJo is a Sr. Daniels could come back.

I've thought about this. Forcing Frost to make assistant coaching changes basically commits to another three years of Frost as head coach. The reason being Frank Solich (2003). You can't win, even if Frost continues to field losing teams. He wasn't given enough time, people would say. Then it becomes twice as hard to hire his replacement.

Frost has total control of the program. He succeeds alone, and he fails alone. That's why he's paid $5 million a year, and that's why he made all of the assistant coaching decisions without outside interference. That's why you cut him loose and give the next guy a chance to improve things.
Agree, but I was only referring to if TA doesn’t have the man he wants to replace SF it’s not worth hiring someone just to hire another failure just to let go of SF..

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

I think SF having total control of the program ended the day Moos was sent packing and Alberts was named AD.

I thought SF looked a lot more interested in what was going on last night, despite the same lousy result. Just my opinion.

I was at the game last night watching with my in-laws who are MSU grads/fans. Left incredibly sad and disappointed. But one thing hit me in the parking lot…. We all worry that a quality new coach/staff won’t wanna come to NU. But shit… anyone who can watch film will see we’ve got a lot of talent. And with a few tweaks and common sense coaching this isn’t a tough rebuild at this point. So maybe we can land a Fickell or Doeren or Campbell?

I was at the game last night watching with my in-laws who are MSU grads/fans. Left incredibly sad and disappointed. But one thing hit me in the parking lot…. We all worry that a quality new coach/staff won’t wanna come to NU. But shit… anyone who can watch film will see we’ve got a lot of talent. And with a few tweaks and common sense coaching this isn’t a tough rebuild at this point. So maybe we can land a Fickell or Doeren or Campbell?
Money, fans and new facilities we can get any number of good coaches. Good enough to win 8 or 9 and the West every year. Guaranteed.

GBR
Pennsy, I feel exactly the same. Very sad time. I want Frost to prove me wrong. He's just not putting together a disciplined team. OL is a joke. Special teams? Embarrassing. Game after game. Amart? He sees the guy coming and doesn't throw the ball or run upfield. Instead, a sack/fumble. He's continually throwing off his back foot. Never following through. You can count on him to throw picks. He slides short of the marker when there's more that could be taken. Whatever your feelings, Frost and Amart find a way to lose. It isn't an abberation. We're not on the cusp of something special. It's a shame to waste this defense. So frustrating.

No. Jojo literally can't come back. There are more super seniors than just Stille.

Yes there are. But he referenced the front 7 and Stille is the only one on the front 7. We also have JoJo and the two safeties.

The only way he may reconsider if he doesn’t have the right head coach to hire in his back pocket and makes SF make assistant coaching changes..
If the AD has to micromanage the HC ... then you have the wrong HC. It's Trevs job to find a replacement. The idea that if TA can't do his job then SF should stay a while longer is silly. If that scenario ever played out they should both be gone.

If the AD has to micromanage the HC ... then you have the wrong HC. It's Trevs job to find a replacement. The idea that if TA can't do his job then SF should stay a while longer is silly. If that scenario ever played out they should both be gone.
Holy crap you’re not getting my point here..This is a very important hire.. I’m in no way endorsing that TA gives SF a pass… But if he feels he needs another year to find His man, that would be the only reason he would tell him he needs to make staff changes if he would decide to go that route..

Florida State is going through the same pain right now but not for as long of a period of time. TN hasn't found their guy yet either.

Back when Alabama was a 500% winning program for about a decade or a little longer than that, they would lose games to Southern Miss and wear grocery bags over their heads at games. Then Nick Saban arrived and the rest is history.

Many years ago USC would have 2-6, 3-5 type of conference seasons in the pac and then they hired their 4th choice. The name? Pete Carroll, a recently fired NFL head coach.

Oklahoma was getting destroyed for years and then Stoops.

All it takes to get Nebraska back to winning football is fire Frost, make a good hire and things can turn around in 1 or 2 seasons. This isn't a depleted roster of talent. Keeping Frost would deplete the roster of talent though since the current class is last in the Big Ten.

There are three names that I am confident could make an immediate impact on turning Nebraska football around: Jeff Monken, Chris Klieman, and Jeff Hafley.
Monken doesn’t do it for me. That schedule that Army plays is way to weak. He has completely turned that program around. But again it’s Army. But I guarantee, he couldn’t do worse than Frost.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT