ADVERTISEMENT

saben, urban, frost

redwine65

Offensive Coordinator
Jun 23, 2010
Saban began his career as a head coach when he was hired by the University of Toledo on December 22, 1989.
Saban led the 1999 Spartans to a 9–2 season
On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.

1989 -2007 = 28 years of hc before bama job

In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green.
After two seasons at Bowling Green, he took the job at Utah in 2003.
Meyer chose to become Florida's head coach for the 2005 season

2001-2007 = 7 years of hc before florida job

On December 1, 2015, Frost was hired as the head football coach at the University of Central Florida.
On December 2, 2017, Frost accepted the head football coach position at his alma mater, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.[32]

2015 -2017 = 2 years of hc before nebraska job

Weird post. What conclusion are you arriving at? I think I know, but it's flawed. Choose two of the best coaches of all time and...?

Reactions: Jesseblackshirts43

Saban began his career as a head coach when he was hired by the University of Toledo on December 22, 1989.
Saban led the 1999 Spartans to a 9–2 season
On January 3, 2007, following a meeting with Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga, Saban announced that he had accepted an offer to become Alabama's 27th head coach.

In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green.
After two seasons at Bowling Green, he took the job at Utah in 2003.
Meyer chose to become Florida's head coach for the 2005 season

On December 1, 2015, Frost was hired as the head football coach at the University of Central Florida.
On December 2, 2017, Frost accepted the head football coach position at his alma mater, the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.[32]

Meyer is bad compare because his bowling green and Utah teams were really good too. Dude is a witch

28 years head coaching experience before getting the job, at a college with high winning expectations
7 years head coaching experience before getting the job, at a college with high winning expectations
2 years head coaching experience before getting the job, at a college with high winning expectations

Frost has and undefeated season in 2 years as head coach. Not sure that matters but it is a fact.

• Haha
Reactions: Cornfield
I get what the OP is getting at. I think it was still worth a shot. Just didn't pan out. For the next guy I hope we get someone that has won national titles, conference titles, or winning seasons after winning seasons and several years of head coaching experience and not someone afraid of a challenge. Gotta be able to be humble enough to adjust.

Reactions: redwine65
I see where you’re going with this too, OP. I know you’re not comparing the two to Frost necessarily. Meyer and Saban definitely had a better runway to get their ducks in a row and learn the tougher lessons in the early stages of their careers (i.e. Saban, MSU v Neb ‘95)

Frost really didn’t have that luxury and is learning the Power 5 Head coaching lessons right now.

Scott Frost will have success elsewhere if he is forced out of NU. That might not be a head coaching job—more likely an OC job with lots of talent around him. If he can figure out the OL this season and get 4 more wins (gulp), he just might turn that maturity corner that Saban and Meyer have. I’ll gladly come collect my crow if Scott doesn’t have success elsewhere.

I was against hiring frost...not that I have a problem with frost
I just thought he did not have enough experience as hc.....

but then after winning 3 out of 4 NC with the run
I thought the pass happy crowd was on illegal narcotics saying you can't win running the ball....

I just hate being right about things, and watching them fall apart when people don't listen...
it's like being in a car and telling the driver, "wait don't turn there", then "hey slow down" then barreling off a side of a cliff.... :)

Last edited:
I dont get it....

Saban did one year at Toledo. He did 5 years at Michigan State and showed promise before going to LSU which is a school with very high expectations and won a National Title. 1 year at Toledo + 5 years at Michigan State is 6 years. Scott Frost coached 2 years at Central Florida.

Reactions: HuskerO
I see where you’re going with this too, OP. I know you’re not comparing the two to Frost necessarily. Meyer and Saban definitely had a better runway to get their ducks in a row and learn the tougher lessons in the early stages of their careers (i.e. Saban, MSU v Neb ‘95)

Frost really didn’t have that luxury and is learning the Power 5 Head coaching lessons right now.

Scott Frost will have success elsewhere if he is forced out of NU. That might not be a head coaching job—more likely an OC job with lots of talent around him. If he can figure out the OL this season and get 4 more wins (gulp), he just might turn that maturity corner that Saban and Meyer have. I’ll gladly come collect my crow if Scott doesn’t have success elsewhere.
I just used the 2 darlings as an example....and them are the most winning which means there alot of coaches out there with alot more hc experience then frost, that don't meet the sky high expectations.

Reactions: maplesyrup95
I get what the OP is getting at. I think it was still worth a shot. Just didn't pan out. For the next guy I hope we get someone that has won national titles, conference titles, or winning seasons after winning seasons and several years of head coaching experience and not someone afraid of a challenge. Gotta be able to be humble enough to adjust.
I appreciate and share the sentiment that I would love to get a guy who has won year upon year of national and conference titles but we did not get that with Callahan, Pelini, Riley or Frost. We took flyer upon flyer upon flyer upon flyer. The job is certainly not more attractive now than then.

I appreciate and share the sentiment that I would love to get a guy who has won year upon year of national and conference titles but we did not get that with Callahan, Pelini, Riley or Frost. We took flyer upon flyer upon flyer upon flyer. The job is certainly not more attractive now than then.
I don't understand how it isn't attractive? Heck I would do it if they'd let me. You get top industry money to perform. A golden parachute if you fail.

Huge fan interest, fantastic facilities, in a VERY winnable division of it's conference. By nature of the brand, you could have the best recruiting classes in that division if you are at ALL good at your job, and care to put in as much hard work for your position as you expect from your players.

The conference I might add that has one truly scary NC threat...one.....in the OTHER division.

Nebraska HFBC is a great job. Sign me up.

Reactions: jchusker02
When I saw the title of the post - I laughed out loud. Frost’s name with those two legends is funny.

I struggle with the “head coach in training” program we are running. For most recruits today, our history is no different than Minnesota (it’s ancient history in their mind). If we keep Frost around winning one more game per year, it might be another 4 years down the road that we figure out if he can compete for championships or not. IMO - too much wasted time vs finding somebody now with experience who has demonstrated that they can create an identity (at least a positive one), instill discipline, develop players, and make an immediate impact.

That person does exist somewhere, but we are likely going to have to go the route of non blue blood programs and find that diamond in the rough. The risk vs reward for higher profile coaches to come here is gone.

Initial conditions in each case vary widely so you can't really compare. Long term, the steady state solution reveals itself and it appears that Frost needs to adjust some variables. I'm sure he will, but will he do so correctly and will it even matter at this point? Stay tuned for the next episode of....

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
I don't understand how it isn't attractive? Heck I would do it if they'd let me. You get top industry money to perform. A golden parachute if you fail.

Huge fan interest, fantastic facilities, in a VERY winnable division of it's conference. By nature of the brand, you could have the best recruiting classes in that division if you are at ALL good at your job, and care to put in as much hard work for your position as you expect from your players.

The conference I might add that has one truly scary NC threat...one.....in the OTHER division.

These are the selling points that make me wonder why we have not gotten a better options over the years. The same dynamic existed for Nebraska in the big 12 with the divisions too. But time after time, we have gone for people with very little experience, and the time that we did get experience, we hired a 50% loser.

Unless a well-known winning coach wants to add “turning a disastrous blue blood program back around again“ to their resume, i’m afraid we’re probably back to recruiting coaches like Iowa and Wisconsin does for players - doing a ton of research and finding diamonds in the rough that they think can perform with the blue chippers.

In 7 games against AP Top 25 teams during the Frost era, Nebraska:

Went 0-7
Averaged 17.7 points
Hit 30 points once
Lost by at least 16 points 5 of 7 times

Reactions: rchrisreade

I'm ready to start coaching NU tomorrow. and you can be the oc....
as long as you run dr.tom/milt plays, power I / option type thing
then I'll just keep the defense folks
and bring in a special teams coach
get that transfer portal heading in the right direction
plus I don't have wife or kids so gate 24 drinks on me (after wins only)
and if it don't work out, a million is fine for a buy out

That would be Leipold.

Reactions: Baxter48
I was expecting a Saban, Meyer, Frost walks into a bar joke when I opened this thread. Disappointed.
Here's mine

Saban, Meyer Frost walks into a bar.

Saban walks into the bar says I'll have a 1 shot for My LSU championship 6 for Alabama and get started pouring 1 for this year .

Meyer says give me 2 shots for Florida 1 for Ohio State and get started pouring 1 for USC.

Frost says give me 1 shot as a player, 1 for UFC and get started pouring 1 for Nebraska.

Bartender looks at Frost and laughs and says..........I'm a Nebraska a fan. We don't give our coaches a Shot!

I'm ready to start coaching NU tomorrow. and you can be the oc....
as long as you run dr.tom/milt plays, power I / option type thing
then I'll just keep the defense folks
and bring in a special teams coach
get that transfer portal heading in the right direction
plus I don't have wife or kids so gate 24 drinks on me (after wins only)
and if it don't work out, a million is fine for a buy out
I like it. When can you start?

Reactions: redwine65
Is this true? Just a rumor going around on the web???

"
I am now living in Nebraska. In fact, I recently met Eric Crouch. A very nice guy. They all think we are going to sodomize them.

Interestingly enough, there are lot of rumors up here that Frost is having a lot of family trouble, that his wife took the kids & moved back to Florida, while Frost is out cavorting with his mistress. Must be why they are trying to build a case to terminate with cause, as the case seems to be."

BTW, is that Sparky(wing sauce) guy still post on here?

Kirby Smart & Georgia looking at this thread like…..

Joe-Dirt-Whaaat-.gif

Interestingly enough, there are lot of rumors up here that Frost is having a lot of family trouble, that his wife took the kids & moved back to Florida, while Frost is out cavorting with his mistress. Must be why they are trying to build a case to terminate with cause, as the case seems to be."

Trev is between a rock and a hard place here....Scott's product on the field has been bad enough to warrant firing, his conduct off the field makes his product on the field look like national champions. Will be a very interesting off season fo show.

ADVERTISEMENT