ADVERTISEMENT

Saban and Alabama

maplesyrup95

Junior
Nov 26, 2014
Anyone else see or listen to Saban on the Mannings’ multi-screencast on MNF? Just casually mentions that there are 73 current Bama players on NFL rosters.

My goodness, does that guy have it made, or does he have it absolutely made?? Make no mistake about it, college football has turned into a massive competition between ESPN vs FOX just as much as it is about the actual football games and players. With the NIL and transfer portal conditions, Saban’s empire is such that he gets opportunities like this to be a commentator for NFL fans, pull in college football fans as well as to not even have to leave his house to recruit prospects who are watching in their living rooms!

He looks and sounds great for being 70 years old…he won’t ever retire (or until he can’t walk). I think the only college coaches with the smarts and recruiting prowess that have the capability of beating him are Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer. His former assistants can’t even beat him. You can pretty much book it that Alabama isn’t going to drop out of the AP Top 10 for at least another 10 years and probably win about 6-ish National Titles this decade.

Damn.

• Sad
Reactions: BleedRed78
He’s a great coach and I have a lot of admiration for him. It’s one thing to stockpile talent, but to get them to play hard and execute at the highest levels game after game, year after year sets him apart.

How many championships do you think he could have won if he coached at Nebraska for 25 years? Could he win here without an option offense?

No doubt that Alabama will be a machine while he is there - but things could change drastically with a new coach. Look at Nebraska since TO.

No doubt that Alabama will be a machine while he is there - but things could change drastically with a new coach. Look at Nebraska since TO.
Bama learned their lesson after Bear Bryant retired, and won't just be all that excited to hire only former Bama guys. They learned their lesson and hired Saban with biggest pay package at the time (probably still). If you want to be great program, you have to start by paying up for real coach.

Reactions: B1G RED RULES
Thing is, he built it... knew what he needed to do and did it... took him a while to get there but now he can enjoy the fruits of his labor. I respect all who build an empire as it's due to massive amounts of hard work, trials, errors and tribulations...

The ol boy still puts in the work too... One of his RBs from our HS was committed to Oklahoma since he was a Freshman and Saban stayed on him the whole time. From my understanding it was a personal visit from Saban at his house that swung him to Alabama and now he's lighting things up...

Reactions: maplesyrup95
Bama learned their lesson after Bear Bryant retired, and won't just be all that excited to hire only former Bama guys. They learned their lesson and hired Saban with biggest pay package at the time (probably still). If you want to be great program, you have to start by paying up for real coach.
You serious Clark?

Look at the 10 years prior to Saban. The look very Nebraska-like and went through a handful of coaches.

Mike Price ring a bell?

You serious Clark?

Look at the 10 years prior to Saban. The look very Nebraska-like and went through a handful of coaches.

Mike Price ring a bell?
you seriously this d_mb? can you read? Alabama was like Nebraska and learned their lesson and hired Saban. To think they will go back to being like Pre-Saban (Nebraska like) when Saban retires is not realistic. Especially considereing they will do an extensive search and not just promote from within like Nebraska.

When Nebraska crushed Saban's Michigan State team 50-10 in 1995, how many of you said to yourself: "I hope Saban coaches the Huskers some day?" Strange change of fortune for both the Huskers and Nick Saban.

Reactions: Husker_AMG63

There is only one Nick Saban. No one else is guaranteed.

Jimbo Fisher elevated Texas a&m. I doubt he will win the sec. They paid him a fortune.

Kirby Smart has Georgia rolling. Unless he beats alabama, it is all moot.

Dabo doesn't have a quarterback, and now Clemson is outside the top 25 despite being filthy with five stars everywhere else.

Reactions: Freddie.B.Cocky
Anyone else see or listen to Saban on the Mannings’ multi-screencast on MNF? Just casually mentions that there are 73 current Bama players on NFL rosters.

My goodness, does that guy have it made, or does he have it absolutely made?? Make no mistake about it, college football has turned into a massive competition between ESPN vs FOX just as much as it is about the actual football games and players. With the NIL and transfer portal conditions, Saban’s empire is such that he gets opportunities like this to be a commentator for NFL fans, pull in college football fans as well as to not even have to leave his house to recruit prospects who are watching in their living rooms!

He looks and sounds great for being 70 years old…he won’t ever retire (or until he can’t walk). I think the only college coaches with the smarts and recruiting prowess that have the capability of beating him are Dabo Swinney and Urban Meyer. His former assistants can’t even beat him. You can pretty much book it that Alabama isn’t going to drop out of the AP Top 10 for at least another 10 years and probably win about 6-ish National Titles this decade.

Damn.
And a lot of these guys start from day one. They aren't marginal NFL players.
The nature of CFB is the rich get richer. What did Pete Carroll say at USC... I get 25 first round picks every year - now it's Saban.

They do have a huge turnover in assistants, and maybe they get unlucky with QB's, but hard to see how they are not near the top every year.

Thing is, he built it... knew what he needed to do and did it... took him a while to get there but now he can enjoy the fruits of his labor. I respect all who build an empire as it's due to massive amounts of hard work, trials, errors and tribulations...

The ol boy still puts in the work too... One of his RBs from our HS was committed to Oklahoma since he was a Freshman and Saban stayed on him the whole time. From my understanding it was a personal visit from Saban at his house that swung him to Alabama and now he's lighting things up...
Sounds about right. It’s incredible what he has done. He is so disciplined that it astounds me. I have a ton of respect for Nick Saban. He is relentless and goes to show that you can achieve a lot if you ignore feelings in the moment and simply have a ‘stick with it’ mentality. Seems like he still loves what he does.

I’d love to see him and TO get a picture together. I would bet money that Saban still looks to guys like Osborne as a standard of success and I’d also put money that Saban will be in Lincoln when Osborne passes.

Damn.
He coaches them up too which is why a lot of them are having success in the NFL. Imagine having a coach on your ass all day, everyday for 4 or 5 years to get better, you're going to develop a lot more in that time frame as a player and athlete than someone with zero expectations to get better like you might see in our program. The NFL is going to be much more likely to take a chance on an athlete that developed all 4-5 years in college than a kid who might be just as good of an athlete or even better, but never really developed and stagnated all throughout college.

The thing that's impressive about Saban is he's been able to maintain a very successful program even under a lot of staff turnover. He's certainly the best coach in the country at holding his staff accountable to produce desirable results on the field. Also, it's amazing the hit rate he's had in offensive skill players over the years at the qb, wr, and rb positions. You don't get that kind of hit rate just by randomly recruiting an athlete just because he's a 5 star. They scour the country looking for exactly what they want, and then they develop them into NFL players the moment they get to Alabama.

You serious Clark?

Mike Price ring a bell?
10 years is different than 25 years plus before we’ll win a conference championship. We’re like Minn of the 70’s and our time was the 90’s. It’s never coming back. Comparing Bama to Neb??? Hope you were kidding. Recruiting has changed too much. Parity ate our lunch. I’d argue it hurt Neb more than any school in the country. Location location location and we don’t have it.

• Sad
you seriously this d_mb? can you read? Alabama was like Nebraska and learned their lesson and hired Saban. To think they will go back to being like Pre-Saban (Nebraska like) when Saban retires is not realistic. Especially considereing they will do an extensive search and not just promote from within like Nebraska.
You weren’t clear at all in your post. After Bear Bryant? They learned their lesson after the string of coaches that did squat, not after Bear Bryant. It’s not a question of if someone can read when the post being referenced is faulty to begin with.

Remember when Alabama was interested in Mike Riley? Because I do. That doesn’t sound like Bama learning their lesson after Bear Bryant.

Be clearer in your posts then you won’t have to accuse people of being dumb for not understanding your vague post.

Edit: After Bear Bryant this is the list of coaches that came through the doors…

Ray Perkins - Alabama alum
Bill Curry - Alabama alum
Gene Stallings
Mike Dubose - Alabama alum
Dennis Franchione
Mike Price
Mike Shula - Alabama alum

Last edited:
Reactions: egaRdeR
We were saying this same thing about USC in the not so distant past. "Too much talent, top 5 job, will hire a great coach, etc."

Yeah, did you watch USC this last weekend? No program is great forever..

Saban will be difficult to replace and Alabama fans might not enjoy the ride..

• Wow
How much back pay do we owe him?
seriously, he left when he was just starting to really ‘feel it’.
Osborne quit at the pinnacle of his career. Worse yet, he lobbied for his buddy to get the job because he had paid his dues. Under Osborne Nebraska most likely would have won two more championships in 1999 and 2000.

Damn.
It’s closer to 53 not 73. Ohio State isn’t far behind. Then there is a drop off where 3 thru 10 is pretty close. Michigan, PSU, and Iowa all have about the same number.

ADVERTISEMENT