ADVERTISEMENT

Ryker Fyfe - gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

We've got an extremely talented backup in Bush and a 5th year senior that IMO could be counted on to hold things together if called on. Most college teams would be happy with that. Most teams other that Ohio State are in trouble if they have to play their 2nd team guy let alone the 4th team QB like Fyfe.
You have to include Darlington also, concussion risk or not, he looked damn good in the spring game, which again doesn't count for much, but based on the order of the QB's we saw, it looked like the top 3 were TA, Bush, & ZD

Ryker will have plenty of options at the DII level with a chance to actually play. Should look hard at playing for the Lopers or Wayne St.

You have to include Darlington also, concussion risk or not, he looked damn good in the spring game, which again doesn't count for much, but based on the order of the QB's we saw, it looked like the top 3 were TA, Bush, & ZD
Yeah, I was in the process of editing/adding his name to my list when you posted this. ZD looked like the most complete QB on the team in the spring game. I also think we added another walkon QB for this fall too. That covers the scout team and in a dire emergency, we have another body there. We had FOUR guys other than Fyfe and Stanton play well enough in the spring scrimmage to make you think they could win games for us. That's 5 QBs. That's enough.

Can we confirm RF's scholarship was pulled? If so this move has me SMH again at this staff. This leaves 3 QB's on scholarship of which 2 are RSFR and one has a history of concussion. Let's not also forget that staff struck out last winter at signing at QB. wow we just went from having deepth @ QB to thin @ QB. Wow!

But, but, but we have 2 verbals right now. And 2 in the bush is always better than 1 in the hand especially when those 2 help nada in 2015.

When I look at moves like this it makes me question this hire more and more. And it's funny most believe it was resources was the only reason Riley has lost most of his coaching career

Well there is one space between your first sentence and your second, so at least you waited a whole second or two before ranting about how the big meanies on the new staff must have ran off Ryker Fyfe, thereby decimating the team's QB depth.

Nothing against the guy, but you really believe that Fyfe is the difference between "having depth" and being "thin" at QB? Seriously?

I was on this board alot last year and I don't recall a single poster calling for Fyfe to start. Maybe there was one or two, but I missed them if they were. There were lots of posters that thought that TA should sit and watch for at least a series at times when he was making bad decisions with the ball. One thing that was consistent with our QB play under Beck was poor decision making.
This is the truth as I know it - and there are a lot here who feel the second team qb should be given rotations and especially give the starter a breather when he is struggling. Whoever the second teamer; wouldn't you have done this for Suh is he was struggling for a few plays, or an o-lineman?

Well there is one space between your first sentence and your second, so at least you waited a whole second or two before ranting about how the big meanies on the new staff must have ran off Ryker Fyfe, thereby decimating the team's QB depth.

Nothing against the guy, but you really believe that Fyfe is the difference between "having depth" and being "thin" at QB? Seriously?
In all fairness, it's not just Fyfe, it's both him and Stanton, so the number of QB bodies dropped by two, that does make a difference in regard to overall depth, and we didn't get a QB last year (so no Frosh to run the Scout Team) but have 2 this recruiting cycle. We will likely have enough depth to get through this year, but I can see how someone could argue that we are just a little bit thin for this season. If we start losing guys to injury or something, then it certainly gets a lot more interesting in how they handle it.

In Becks defense; Urban took his as an assistant. I believe if we appreciate that some of our former assistants were in a difficult spot and appreciate the effort for this, they will respond in kind.

This thread is insane. Don't you guys ever learn that the backup QB is usually the most popular guy on the team? It's like voting for a republican or democrat every 4 years and being shocked that nothing changes. When will you guys learn.

In all fairness, it's not just Fyfe, it's both him and Stanton, so the number of QB bodies dropped by two, that does make a difference in regard to overall depth, and we didn't get a QB last year (so no Frosh to run the Scout Team) but have 2 this recruiting cycle. We will likely have enough depth to get through this year, but I can see how someone could argue that we are just a little bit thin for this season. If we start losing guys to injury or something, then it certainly gets a lot more interesting in how they handle it.
I wasn't arguing that we aren't thin at QB. I'm saying we don't really have much depth whether Fyfe stayed or didn't stay. My guess is that the staff views it that way too, and feel the best way to build depth is to make sure the younger guys like Bush and Darlington get more practice reps.

I wasn't arguing that we aren't thin at QB. I'm saying we don't really have much depth whether Fyfe stayed or didn't stay. My guess is that the staff views it that way too, and feel the best way to build depth is to make sure the younger guys like Bush and Darlington get more practice reps.
I hear you.. I think not getting a QB in the last class hurts us more just from a team management perspective and having enough bodies to run different teams and drills. The remaining guys will see a lot of snaps.

Fyfe was at best 4th and possibly 5th on the depth chart after the spring game. We lost the scout team QB when we lost Fyfe and I think we have added a walkon QB to run the scout team this fall.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Well it was said that going into the Spring game, Darlington hadn't got as many reps as would have been best for his development - then he showed great game presence and is in the mix. So I believe this will lead to increased development of the four we have. If the others are frustrated; they will only be more so, best too go where they have a system that fits their talent better. Seriously, they would be long gone at Alabama or similarly managed roster imo.

Fyfe could have stuck around and contributed as a scout team guy. It seems he wants to play though. Stanton didn't progress as predicted, but perhaps he can contribute at a lesser program. I assume that both could have stuck around, but didn't.
The staff now has Tommy and two RS frosh, one of which has had his noggin whacked pretty good. If Riley and Langsdorf made a decision, it was to develop the two young guys. But maybe that decision was made in competition during Spring ball.
The QBs coming in will be RS frosh the Fall after Tommy finishes, with ZD and Bush being Juniors. Gotta hope that one of them really develops and can take the reins.

Fyfe could have stuck around and contributed as a scout team guy. It seems he wants to play though. Stanton didn't progress as predicted, but perhaps he can contribute at a lesser program. I assume that both could have stuck around, but didn't.
The staff now has Tommy and two RS frosh, one of which has had his noggin whacked pretty good. If Riley and Langsdorf made a decision, it was to develop the two young guys. But maybe that decision was made in competition during Spring ball.
The QBs coming in will be RS frosh the Fall after Tommy finishes, with ZD and Bush being Juniors. Gotta hope that one of them really develops and can take the reins.

Good post. I agree. If Fyfe wants to play, than a different school would be his best option. With Stanton, I have to assume that something mental is going on there. He has tons of ability, and it seems he's just not connecting with it now. A new start will be great for him. If both QBs (Wilson and O'Brien) do end up here, I wonder if either Darlington or Bush will transfer out.

Is he actually gone? Like has there been an announcement
I was thinking the same thing.. Here we are on Monday, and not a word from the administration on it.
Or we all got trolled into 3 pages of nonsense.. nice one!

Tyson B is still here as well

Tyson has yet to take a snap in a game and is a RS senior. At least RF has played in games. Those 2 aren't comparable

Chances are we will be fine. But it just doesn't seem smart to basically drop 2 out of the 3 QBs with game day experience.

I was thinking the same thing.. Here we are on Monday, and not a word from the administration on it.
Or we all got trolled into 3 pages of nonsense.. nice one!

Haha. That's very true. OK, so lets switch it up to a NEW topic.

What does everyone prefer? Nike or Adidas?

lol

True neither Wilson nor POB will help this season. Husker fans need to realize neither would RF if he would have stayed here. Makes for a great story, the walk-on kid from Nebraska, but that is all it is.

Everyone is on the Bush and Darlington bandwagon because of the Spring. However, fans forget, it was Stanton and Fyfe that looked pretty good in spring of 2014 and those were the 2 everyone was pushing for last year at this time. Would Fyfe every play under Riley? I don't know. I know when Bo was here, RF was known as the most accurate passer between all of the QB's and did his best work in mid to short passes. That what Riley keeps telling us he wants, right? Obviously Bo was terrible at evaluating QB's so you take those items with a grain of salt. And Obviously RF had a hard transition into Riley's offense this spring.

But I do know that 2 weeks of spring football isn't enough time to truly evaluate a kid and pull his scholarship especially when he has game experience. He did throw a TD in the spring game and was had very little chances. And lets face it NU's injury track record isn't great, especially @ QB. You'd have probably said the same thing about Turman in 1994.

Tyson has yet to take a snap in a game and is a RS senior. At least RF has played in games. Those 2 aren't comparable

Chances are we will be fine. But it just doesn't seem smart to basically drop 2 out of the 3 QBs with game day experience.
Their combined game day experience can be replicated in about 4 minutes against South Alabama.

And unless I missed something, it hasn't been confirmed that anyone's scholarship was pulled. Even if Fyfe is gone, it could be because his prospects for playing time weren't good, and he decided to move on. That's a lot different than getting your scholarship pulled.

Their combined game day experience can be replicated in about 4 minutes against South Alabama.

And unless I missed something, it hasn't been confirmed that anyone's scholarship was pulled. Even if Fyfe is gone, it could be because his prospects for playing time weren't good, and he decided to move on. That's a lot different than getting your scholarship pulled.
so do you think he quit?

This thread is insane. Don't you guys ever learn that the backup QB is usually the most popular guy on the team? It's like voting for a republican or democrat every 4 years and being shocked that nothing changes. When will you guys learn.
Truth
Thank you

I think there are pills for premature speculation. Or is that ejaculation? Either way, this thread was fun!

Benning and h3 both say he is gone. Hmmmmm.
Cornicator earlier posted "he gone" as well. He's usually pretty accurate. Perhaps he was considering leaving and decided against it after evaluating his options. Good deal for our depth if he stays and frankly he needs to focus on his education because football isn't going to be paying his bills 3 years from now.

Stupid World-Herald - draining all the life out of a perfectly good I-don't-know-if-this-is-true-but-I'll-go-ahead-and-bitch-about-it-anyway thread.

Cornicator earlier posted "he gone" as well. He's usually pretty accurate. Perhaps he was considering leaving and decided against it after evaluating his options. Good deal for our depth if he stays and frankly he needs to focus on his education because football isn't going to be paying his bills 3 years from now.
Dakota schools have been talking to him.

Reactions: sparky62
Oh, so now we're comparing RF to EC? Really? Really?
Don't know your husker history? Really? Really?

When frank named bobby Newcombe the starter, Eric quit the team for a little while... Charlie was comparing the situations... Not the talent.

Why is Riley letting a guy with a crappy attitude, one who was insubordinate and disrespectful, one who is incredibly "Bo-like", back on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT