ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Held for KU HC?

I doubt they hire a position coach, and I doubt Held wants to take his chances at perennial cellar-dweller, but interesting nonetheless.
If Held is somehow offered the job, I sure wouldn't assume he'll decline it. Even what might be the worst Power 5 HC job in the country still pays an insane amount of money, and it's not like Held's wagon is currently hitched to such a big winner that future HC offers will surely be coming in the future.

If Held is somehow offered the job, I sure wouldn't assume he'll decline it. Even what might be the worst Power 5 HC job in the country still pays an insane amount of money, and it's not like Held's wagon is currently hitched to such a big winner that future HC offers will surely be coming in the future.
Maybe a replacement would have a fresh look at the type rb Huskers recruit. Haven't been all that impressed with results up to present.

Maybe a replacement would have a fresh look at the type rb Huskers recruit. Haven't been all that impressed with results up to present.
I'm not saying I want Held gone. I just wouldn't fault him at all for taking the Kansas job. In the Power 5, there's a pot of gold at even the deadest of dead ends.

Reactions: grayhairedfreak
Held would be my ultimate preference to replace Frost.

As to some of the comments, I wonder if anyone actually read the article...

Held was a Junior College head coach at a division II school as well as the NAIA levels.

"Held took his first head coaching position at an NAIA school in 2001, when he was just 26 years old. At the time, he was the youngest coach in the country and led his team to a second-place league finish. "

how big is the paycheck?
therein lies the answer.

Any guy that takes that job is desperate and dumb.
KU gave Miles a 5-year contract at $2.8 million per plus incentives. If they offered Held half that much, it would take a whole lot of will power to turn it down - just to remain the running backs coach at a place obsessed with throwing the ball sideways.

Last edited:
KU gave Miles a 5-year contract at $2.8 million per plus incentives. If they offered Held half that much, it would take a whole lot of will power to turn it down - just to remain the running backs coach at a place obsessed with throwing the ball sideways.

True, not sure a position coach under Frost will be a long term winner.

Reactions: Chuck003

Held was a Junior College head coach at a division II school as well as the NAIA levels.

"Held took his first head coaching position at an NAIA school in 2001, when he was just 26 years old. At the time, he was the youngest coach in the country and led his team to a second-place league finish. "
Is that based on his running back recruiting or his running back development?

Reactions: Chuck003 and WHCSC
Is that based on his running back recruiting or his running back development?
Based on him being the best recruiter on the staff.

It's basically the same idea as what Clemson did when they made Dabo Swinney the head coach. The short version is, they picked the best recruiter on the current staff, and made him the head coach.

I think Ryan is a great people person (something that is needed in a head coach) as well as a great motivator and recruiter.

Nebraska has been kind of silly going outside the program every time they had a head coaching change, (except Solich) and then all the additional change that happens afterwards.

To me, it just makes more sense in how Clemson did it, and that is what I would do.

Too early to tell if he's a good running back coach. Divine improved his play in one year under held. Coach Austin is not doing coach held any favors with atrocious line play. Same with Martinez. It's hard being a running back at Nebraska these days
I call him a bad coach because Devine didn't start the season

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
why in the world would they consider an assistant from one of the most underachieving staffs in all of college football

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.jpg

On the other hand he did lead Peru St to a 2nd place conference finish

Last edited:
Reactions: AnyOneButYou
why in the world would they consider an assistant from one of the most underachieving staffs in all of college football

This. The guy they really need to be looking at on our staff is the O-line coach. 100% HC material for Kansas!

Reactions: Husker_AMG63
Held better get his crap together at Nebraska before people start this OC crap. It's actually pretty funny that anyone would even talk about OC jobs at this point for him. Hopefully he will, but at this point, Ryan Held has not produced crap thus far.
I think he is a dark horse for HC. Not OC.

I am sure that will piss you off more.

But yeah, he better get his crap together or Chuck will......well Chuck will be mad. And I mean real mad.

Go get him Chuck!

Reactions: headcard
Sounds like a homer who is happy with the great RB and offensive production that we have seen from the team since he got here. Let's see where the dude is in a year or two. Save this and we will reflect upon it in 2023.
Such a weak a$$ response. Just because I don't stomp my feet and wet myself on every thing Husker FB relater doesn't mean I think it's all great.

Here's a clue. People can think we are a shit show without bitching and whining about everything.

You keep saying OC. It is for head coach, Chuck. I know it's crazy. But HEAD COACH!

To be clear, I am not saying it. The article posted is saying. Maybe that will help you with the grasping of this matter.

Last edited:

Is that you? You seem effeminate.

Mine would be Swinney, Saban, or Meyer. Ryan Held is not a name that immediately pops up in my head. No offense.

I will say this- your hard-on with Martinez and Mario puzzles me. I had the famous Martinez video on my phone for 6 months until I erased it. If you would have watched it, you would see him in a new light ( Not to mention the fact that he sucks). On the other hand, i just spent 4 hours in the south Lincoln Tanners Bar and Grill next to Turner Corcoran and his buddy. They drank water, and Turner was one of the most respectable young kids that I have met in a long time. He made a huge fan out of me.
I am pretty sure that one is a future high NFL draft pick, and the other will be selling insurance. So I will at least give Held praise for recruiting the young man. You make fun of my name and whatever crap. It is funny. However, a judge of character you are not. You said dark horse head coach. Held will not be a head coach at a power five conference in our lifetime. Ega.

Weird

Based on him being the best recruiter on the staff.

It's basically the same idea as what Clemson did when they made Dabo Swinney the head coach. The short version is, they picked the best recruiter on the current staff, and made him the head coach.

I think Ryan is a great people person (something that is needed in a head coach) as well as a great motivator and recruiter.

Nebraska has been kind of silly going outside the program every time they had a head coaching change, (except Solich) and then all the additional change that happens afterwards.

To me, it just makes more sense in how Clemson did it, and that is what I would do.
Not sure about him being a great recruiter, since 70 percent of his recruits have never produced or transferred. And yes, I am not a Ryan Held fan, until he proves me wrong and contributes to a respectable offense, which he has not. However, I am sure he is a nice dude.

Last edited:
I will say this- your hard-on with Martinez and Mario puzzles me. I had the famous Martinez video on my phone for 6 months until I erased it. If you would have watched it, you would see him in a new light ( Not to mention the fact that he sucks). On the other hand, i just spent 4 hours in the south Lincoln Tanners Bar and Grill next to Turner Corcoran and his buddy. They drank water, and Turner was one of the most respectable young kids that I have met in a long time. He made a huge fan out of me.
I am pretty sure that one is a future high NFL draft pick, and the other will be selling insurance. So I will at least give Held praise for recruiting the young man. You make fun of my name and whatever crap. It is funny. However, a judge of character you are not. You said dark horse head coach. Held will not be a head coach at a power five conference in our lifetime. Ega.
And as for your boy, Adrian-If he can't quite get it entering his fourth season as a starter, I'm pretty sure he never will.
I think you are lost. We are talking about Held for HC at Kansas here.

Reactions: headcard
Held would last at kansas bout as long as Turner Gill or the last few coaches have. And nothing against these coaches. But kansas....kAnSas what the .... are you thinking
Held's name may be on the "list" but I doubt he's a serious candidate. If KU is going to go with an unproven AC, they will choose Kevin Kane (current associate HC @ Illinois). He's a Jayhawk from the Mangino era and has lots of BMD support.

Reactions: dinglefritz
KC resident here. KC sports radio loves Held. Grew up a KU fan and is from Overland Park, KS. Would be his dream job (besides maybe NU). KU needs someone that is Jayhawk blood. Enough with the big name recycles (Weiss, Miles)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT