ADVERTISEMENT

Ryan Held for KU HC?

man ... Neb dodged that bullet

let’s just hope and pray the Bulls don’t start sniffing around Held to fill their vacancy
You could only be targeting me.. But as I explained in the short version of how Clemson promoted Dabo to head coach and their success afterwards, I believe could be replicated with Ryan Held. The current head coach has been the worst hire we've made in a very long time.

You could only be targeting me.. But as I explained in the short version of how Clemson promoted Dabo to head coach and their success afterwards, I believe could be replicated with Ryan Held. The current head coach has been the worst hire we've made in a very long time.

not at all

I'm targeting these facts as it relates to Mr Held:

1. He has just 3 years of experience as a power 5 assistant coach

2. During those those 3 year he and his "mentor" have combined for zero winning seasons and the worst 3 year stretch at his current university in modern times

3. If you judge a position coach by how that position performs - he doesn't appear to be very good at his current job

4. he is part of a coaching staff that cultivated a culture whereby players were actually given the option of not playing in a bowl game and when given this option they actually decided they would rather not play

5. his mentor was part of a plot to cowardly opt out of a game celebrating one of the greatest historic moments of the program and of all of college football

Last edited:
Confirmed. This might just give NU a chance against Buffalo to at least keep it competitive.
High percentage of assistant coaches appear to have Midwest roots so guessing a few follow HCLL to KU. Huge rebuild likely for Buffalo.

Looking like Buffalo might need a new HC
This sure seems like a better deal for KU than for Leopold. I think he is a heckucva coach, but man that is a tough program to turn around. More chance of reward for KU and big risk for him as a coach.

Seems like Leopold always takes weird jobs and hasn't stepped up like it seems he could.

not at all

I'm targeting these facts as it relates to Mr Held:

1. He has just 3 years of experience as a power 5 assistant coach

2. During those those 3 year he and his "mentor" have combined for zero winning seasons and the worst 3 year stretch at his current university in modern times

3. If you judge a position coach by how that position performs - he doesn't appear to be very good at his current job

4. he is part of a coaching staff that cultivated a culture whereby players were actually given the option of not playing in a bowl game and when given this option they actually decided they would rather not play

5. his mentor was part of a plot to cowardly opt out of a game celebrating one of the greatest historic moments of the program and of all of college football
The issues with Scott Frost are duly noted.

Clemson took their best recruiter and made him the head coach. I think that would work here as well.

Ryan is by far the best recruiter here. It's not his fault he is working for a poor head coach who has player management issues.

Frost and Lubbick call the plays.. it is indeed sad they don't give the ball off to running backs more, especially last year, but that isn't on Held.

It's also sad that 2 years ago, a different OC and Frost ran outside runners to the inside and inside runners to the outside.. pretty stupid, but that again isn't on Held.

The last thing I think we should be doing is burning down the entire staff again.

When they burned the whole thing down with Calahan, Riley, and Frost, the team has paid pretty dearly for it.

I def want to see Frost gone, but like the idea of exploring Ryan for the position, and he's been a head coach twice before at lower divisions, so I don't think your attempts to dunk on Ryan hold much water at all.

KU hired Buffalo head coach Lance Leipold. Per the KC Star today.

Huskers play Buffalo on 9/11 this season.

The issues with Scott Frost are duly noted.

Clemson took their best recruiter and made him the head coach. I think that would work here as well.

Ryan is by far the best recruiter here. It's not his fault he is working for a poor head coach who has player management issues.

Frost and Lubbick call the plays.. it is indeed sad they don't give the ball off to running backs more, especially last year, but that isn't on Held.

It's also sad that 2 years ago, a different OC and Frost ran outside runners to the inside and inside runners to the outside.. pretty stupid, but that again isn't on Held.

The last thing I think we should be doing is burning down the entire staff again.

When they burned the whole thing down with Calahan, Riley, and Frost, the team has paid pretty dearly for it.

I def want to see Frost gone, but like the idea of exploring Ryan for the position, and he's been a head coach twice before at lower divisions, so I don't think your attempts to dunk on Ryan hold much water at all.
I like Held but that doesn't mean he would be a good head coach. The path to being a Head Coach is littered with people who someone(s) obviously had the goods to get the job done. Every school is looking for that Saban, Osborne, or Dabo to come in and turn their program into a perennial power. Dabo obviously had a lot more going for him than just being an ace recruiter. That is too simplistic in the bigger scheme of what it takes to win big and consistently.

Last edited:
Reactions: WHCSC
Every school is looking for that Saban, Osborne, or Dabo to come in and turn their program into a perianal power. Dabo obviously had a lot more going for him than just being an ace recruiter. That is too simplistic in the bigger scheme of what it takes to win big and consistently.

if Neb wants to be a perianal power, they already have their guy

• Haha
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I like Held but that doesn't mean he would be a good head coach. The path to being a Head Coach is littered with people who someone(s) obviously had the goods to get the job done. Every school is looking for that Saban, Osborne, or Dabo to come in and turn their program into a perianal power. Dabo obviously had a lot more going for him than just being an ace recruiter. That is too simplistic in the bigger scheme of what it takes to win big and consistently.
From my research, it was as simple as that for Clemson. It's true, we don't really know Ryan's management style or if he would be a good pick or not. But I like starting there. If Calahan hadn't been loyal to his DC, things might be much different today, as he brought in a ton of talent. I always thought Barry Switzer was successful because of his ability to sell his program. Conversely, this is a part of why Frank, Bo, and Mike got fired too. I"m sure there are more examples, but it's something to consider as a good starting point. In my opinion ;)

One of things Miles did well was build the roster up with high school kids. The KU job roster-wise is probably as good as it has been in many years. They've actually got some young talent. Also a competent AD in place. Leipold will do well.

Reactions: 250vertical
One of things Miles did well was build the roster up with high school kids. The KU job roster-wise is probably as good as it has been in many years. They've actually got some young talent. Also a competent AD in place. Leipold will do well.
LOL even with a competent coach and AD what is the definition of doing well at kansas? 3 wins? 4 wins? who in that league will they overtake? the ONLY possibilities would be Tech, maybe baylor? maybe KSU? But kansas will have a hard time out recruiting those 2 schools who can recruit TX better than KS and even when KSU is down they tend to still beat the living shit out of kansas because its always their game of the year. i think they get better but still not good. maybe they now win most their non conference games and 1-2 in league

From my research, it was as simple as that for Clemson. It's true, we don't really know Ryan's management style or if he would be a good pick or not. But I like starting there. If Calahan hadn't been loyal to his DC, things might be much different today, as he brought in a ton of talent. I always thought Barry Switzer was successful because of his ability to sell his program. Conversely, this is a part of why Frank, Bo, and Mike got fired too. I"m sure there are more examples, but it's something to consider as a good starting point. In my opinion ;)
Well done on the IMO. :)

I like this take, and agree that Held wouldn’t be the worst we could do. I think (hope) he would be better about getting the right staff in place to make sure we would be better.

Of course, what do I know? I like every coach we hire. It’s part of my optimism gene.

Great hire for KU. Honestly a little surprised he took it.
me too. but he upped his salary by 2 mill? and just has to avoid being the worst program in america to be an improvement. they have some recruiters. good enough i can't believe better programs haven't picked off 1-2 of them.

Reactions: headcard

No one can question Coach Leipod’s willingness to accept huge challenges. Winking

pushing-boulder-uphill-e1522872821720.jpg

Reactions: dinglefritz
LOL even with a competent coach and AD what is the definition of doing well at kansas? 3 wins? 4 wins? who in that league will they overtake? the ONLY possibilities would be Tech, maybe baylor? maybe KSU? But kansas will have a hard time out recruiting those 2 schools who can recruit TX better than KS and even when KSU is down they tend to still beat the living shit out of kansas because its always their game of the year. i think they get better but still not good. maybe they now win most their non conference games and 1-2 in league

Who knows. Whoever thought Baylor would have gotten as good as they have in certain years. Things change over time...you know that as an NU fan.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT