ADVERTISEMENT

Ruth Bader Ginsberg died

Yes. You forget that the southern democrat party was the primary obstacle to integration. You do remember guys like George Wallace right? Does the name of the KKK member Robert Byrd jog your memory? He was a distinguished Democrat senator. The Republican party was the party that fought to end slavery. When I say socially conservative though I primarily mean along the lines of abortion and marriage. The party of Lincoln though lived by the statement of "all mean are created equal". That IS a conservative value.
You know very well the parties flipped platforms and you would expect that I know that too. We're not cheering for teams here we're discussing what would or would not align with the modern day parties.

You're honestly going with "abolition and civil rights were not progressive" as your argument?

You think today's GOP wouldn't put Eisenhower on absolute blast if he proposed to use the tax brackets they had under his presidency?

You are correct

What are the odds Trump's pick has a lot in common with the person who sang the National Anthem for this years NFL opener? If that happens....this is going to get really interesting. If he is going to go thru with this, I hope he finds the most conservative black female judge, that would be a homerun for him in so many levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: TampaBaySkers
She thought it was a moot point because she expected Hillary to win.

Two very smart and very educated and very experienced and powerful Democrats who rose to the top of their respective careers put their heads together and mutually decided America would be better served if she stayed on. The Democrats had their chance and willingly punted. I wish RBG would have lived into the next Presidency because this win feels cheap and looks like years worth of turmoil will follow, but if it's legal to do this, and I admit I was wrong cause I didn't thibk it was, and we know the left would do the same....

What are the odds Trump's pick has a lot in common with the person who sang the National Anthem for this years NFL opener? If that happens....this is going to get really interesting. If he is going to go thru with this, I hope he finds the most conservative black female judge, that would be a homerun for him in so many levels.
A black female would check quite a few boxes but nominating black female twins is a bolder step. I'd watch that TV show

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
I was in Valentine NE. when I posted my thoughts earlier today, so I've been a little busy.

Looks like I was duped by my party when they stated you cannot do this in an election year in 2016, and again during the mid terms when the left tried to delay the last nomination until after the mid terms, and all of us said mid terms don't count, only Presidential election years. Am I the only one who remembers all that??

Fast forward to now......I don't understand how you can say with a straight face that none of that happened.

If we do this I think it shows a lack of integrity because of how we 've acted for the last 4 years. I think it's short term thinking. I think Trump's re-election would be better served to make a big deal out of not doing this (citing our own words from 2016 in the process), and could help swing a lot of independents his way, and even some Democrats that don't want to vote for him, but cannot stand the thought of Kamala being one romp in the sack away from President. If we do this, we're no better than Pelosi and Schiff who charged forward with a sham impeachment they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on.

Just my thoughts, obviously I'm in the minority.

Enjoy your time man.

How long do you think "integrity" lasts in politics?

This is not comparable to the sham impeachment that was meant to destroy the country. Not even close.

I believe Trump will win in November as Biden gets worse and worse, they decided he couldn't do media appearances today at 8:30AM, but if something were to happen we'd kick ourselves for not taking the win when we had it. And they might not hold the senate.

For a political amateur Trump has slyly outmaneuvered the left. How does he keep coming out on top? The economy, Iran, North Korea, Mid East, etc? His biggest mistake was listening to Fauci.

I think the court is rigged anyway. The real powers that be decide the outcomes and justices play it out. It's supposedly a conservative court but rarely rules in a conservative manner. Roberts, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh take turns voting with the liberals.

Tin foil hat time for me or no?

Reactions: Sinomatic
Any person who knows right from wrong knows that you can’t argue for no vote on Garland 9 months before the election and somehow argue a vote on a Ruth Bader Ginsberg replacement under 2 months before an election. It’s obviously hypocrisy beyond belief. We elect people to behave with character and for their word to mean something. If they had only allowed a vote on Garland, they could replace Bader Ginsberg willingly. Follow the constitution to the T but don’t play both sides only when it works to your advantage.
tenor.gif

Reactions: OzzyLvr
I think the court is rigged anyway. The real powers that be decide the outcomes and justices play it out. It's supposedly a conservative court but rarely rules in a conservative manner. Roberts, Gorsuch, and Kavanaugh take turns voting with the liberals.

It's been questionable lately. All the more reason to put another in.

There isn't much left for the Republicans to compromise on. This country legislatively has swung so far to the left that it's ridiculous. JFK would be considered a far right extremist if he were alive today.
Kennedy would definitely be an R today. That party left many rank and file D's. Unfortunately many are too proud to admit it and switch to the bright side.

Its interesting to see how rarely a "reliable" conservative is appointed to the court compared to a "reliable" liberal. Kagan has been an interesting surprise i will say. Nobody foresaw her becoming a swing vote but she's getting to be one.

This thread is a good example of why Nebraska's slogan is no longer "Nebraska Nice".

"So tourism officials are trying out a new approach. On Wednesday, the Nebraska Tourism Commission revealed its new slogan: “Honestly, it’s not for everyone.” "

Yup.

Two very smart and very educated and very experienced and powerful Democrats who rose to the top of their respective careers put their heads together and mutually decided America would be better served if she stayed on. The Democrats had their chance and willingly punted. I wish RBG would have lived into the next Presidency because this win feels cheap and looks like years worth of turmoil will follow, but if it's legal to do this, and I admit I was wrong cause I didn't thibk it was, and we know the left would do the same....
AND once it was proved they didn't understand most of the united states and lost, she had no out. No way she could let Trump replace her. God bless her but she's wrong

Reactions: bluenrg and Ecto-1

Well then that's another significant Democrat miscalculation. They keep doing all this stuff to hurt Republicans and it constantly backfires. Maybe they should stop?

You don't need to get in your feelings over this. The blame belongs squarely on RBG. She could have retired during Obama's 8 years and saved the seat. But she let her ego get in the way. The dying wish BS is just more lib garbage. The libs made this bed. Don't feel bad making them lie in it.

Wouldn’t it be nice of the federal governments power was so limited that some Supreme Court judge wasn’t going to impact your life in any way?
The courts and lawfare have become much too powerful. Would be nice to see the people decide how society is run but they aren't going to let that happen.

FINALLY!!!! (but really it's the courts not the legislature who have damaged us, that's why Bork is important. He was the shot across the bow where the Dems admitted their power comes from the judicial branch)

What has happened since 1963 is that the republicans in a quest for power have tried to become democrat-lite
And the democrats have become anti-american in that time frame. We are fighting for the soul of a nation. This is worse than the 60s unrest. Much worse.
**********************************​

When Richard Nixon was confronted with impeachment he resigned in shame.

When Bill Clinton was faced with impeachment he declared, "it's a vast right-wing conspiracy" and refused to resign.

^^^^^^^^^^ THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE 2 PARTIES, ONE CAN BE SHAMED AND ONE CAN'T ... sorry folks, that is a huge difference ... read my signature to understand the threat we are facing
This is completely wrong. The country shifted way to the right around the Reagan era. Before this, Republicans were forced to come to the center in order to win elections. Since the Reagan era, Democrats have shifted to the center to try to win elections. Although they've been somewhat successful when it comes to that, they've compromised their core beliefs in the process and no longer stood for the traditional principles like improving conditions for workers.

Reactions: jmliehr
This is completely wrong. The country shifted way to the right around the Reagan era. Before this, Republicans were forced to come to the center in order to win elections. Since the Reagan era, Democrats have shifted to the center to try to win elections. Although they've been somewhat successful when it comes to that, they've compromised their core beliefs in the process and no longer stood for the traditional principles like improving conditions for workers.
Socially the country has gone way left. Economically it completely favors the elite you're correct. This is just how they want it. Let the proles battle over social issues rather than setting their sights on the elite.

The woman died. Prayers for her family and friends. Much of her views on issues before the court I didn’t agree with her votes but she earned the appointment to the court. This is time for her family and friends to mourn, allow it.

As far as the calls for hypocrisy, politics is the art of pointing out hypocrisy of others while missing it within yourself and those you like.
Looking at the history of President / Senate same party and the President / Senate different parties show the clear past precedent.

allow the family and friends time to mourn before the politics of hypocrisy take over please.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Socially the country has gone way left. Economically it completely favors the elite you're correct. This is just how they want it. Let the proles battle over social issues rather than setting their sights on the elite.
That's fairly accurate. Economic issues have been completely ignored by Democrats while they rabble on about social issues.

Where we stand: two presidents who lost the popular vote will have appointed five out of nine Supreme Court justices.
NONE of my Republican family and friends even bother to vote in California. That is true likely of millions of Republican voters in New York AND California. I wouldn't get too upset about the popular vote thing. IF we elected a President solely on the popular vote my suspicion is that the outcome wouldn't be different than what we've gotten. George Bush likely lost tens of thousands of votes when CNN called Florida before polls had closed. Even so as it turns out, Bush's appointee John Roberts hasn't been a very conservative justice.

The woman died. Prayers for her family and friends. Much of her views on issues before the court I didn’t agree with her votes but she earned the appointment to the court. This is time for her family and friends to mourn, allow it.

As far as the calls for hypocrisy, politics is the art of pointing out hypocrisy of others while missing it within yourself and those you like.
Looking at the history of President / Senate same party and the President / Senate different parties show the clear past precedent.

allow the family and friends time to mourn before the politics of hypocrisy take over please.
I don't think her family and friends are reading the free board at Huskers Illustrated. It's fine.

"You get to seat a justice, but if you're a liberal and the senate is conservative you'll have to compromise to find somebody that you can all live with.”
Well, if the current Senate were under Democratic control, they certainly would need to compromise, I agree with that. But when the White House and Senate are in the control of the same party, what are they supposed to do? They have complete control of the process. They can be respectful of the other side - which we certainly need to see more of from BOTH parties - but the party in control gets to choose. There is no compromise. That’s just the way it is. If enough voters don’t like it, they can change it.

NONE of my Republican family and friends even bother to vote in California. That is true likely of millions of Republican voters in New York AND California. I wouldn't get too upset about the popular vote thing. IF we elected a President solely on the popular vote my suspicion is that the outcome wouldn't be different than what we've gotten. George Bush likely lost tens of thousands of votes when CNN called Florida before polls had closed. Even so as it turns out, Bush's appointee John Roberts hasn't been a very conservative justice.
The electoral college is a vestige of slavery, I assume you know that, right? People in rural states cling to the notion that it prevents states like California, NY and Texas from deciding the outcome of presidential elections, but they ignore the fact that it gives undue weight to some rural states over more populated states. In other words, one vote from a Nebraskan is the equivalent of several dozen votes of a Texan. If that still seems like a reasonable system, then consider that it wasn't always the Democrats winning the popular vote. There was a time not so long ago that the situation was reversed. The point is, you can't argue out of one side of your mouth that we live in a democracy, while celebrating the manipulation of that system to benefit a minority of voters. Why, because it won't always be as it is now. Roles reverse. Furthermore, your point that family and friends of yours have stopped voting because they're convinced that California is blue and will remain that way. For what its worth, the same is true in Texas for Democrats. I would argue this is yet another failing of the electoral college. People who live in states that reliably vote red or blue rightly understand that if they are in the minority their vote is for naught. How can you argue that this is a functioning system? And lastly, Roberts has been consistently conservative in his opinions with very few exceptions. Why are you focusing on just the handful of opinions you don't like? A court that leans too far one direction or the other will eventually lose credibility with the public. I realize you are a very conservative person, but not everyone in this country shares your views. Compromise is the genius of the American system. The one time compromise failed we had a civil war. You can scream at the top of your lungs all day long that this country has veered hard left, but the fact of the matter is power has shifted between the two parties for decades. Social issues have shifted to the left, then again what is your basis for comparison? What period of time in American history was better socially, according to you? Of course politically, conservatives have dominated the state and local landscape and largely redrawn the maps to ensure their dominance. You engage in nonstop whataboutisms. What about the dems? What about Hillary? You condone extremism on the right because you've made up your mind that liberals either have or would do the same given the chance. You claim to be a religious person, and yet in life you argue in favor of doing as much damage as possible to others just in case they might do it to you first. That's a paranoid way to live your life, man.

IIRC, California is one of the top 3 states that houses the most Republicans. They are just so hugely overshadowed that they don’t matter in the electoral college.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT