ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Postgame Thoughts (Just the Positives)

dand84

Blackshirt
Oct 28, 2017
Aggression: These coaches have the kids playing hard every single play, all 4 quarters.

Ugly Wins: are better than morale building losses. There are going to be days when you are just 2nd best. We capitalized on mistakes, dug deep, and got it done.

Belief: Players with a winning mentality come up with big plays when they really count, even if they aren’t playing great.

Coaching: My wife is an amazing pastry chef. She can walk into your house, find a soda cracker, a piece of cheese, a few jars of something or other and make you an amazing meal. This is what these coaches are doing with the very little they have to work with.

Game Management: Adults are in charge. Rutgers had our number in the first quarter. We made all kinds of adjustments on both sides of the ball. Yes, we failed execution a number of times, but we had the right ideas.

Intangibles: We have won 2 P5 in a row, 2 B1G in a row. One home, one away. MJ believes in one game at a time. I honestly don’t see how or where we win another game, but I imagine these guys just might.

One unheralded play stood out to me:
after Farmer’s INT, I loved how Jimari Butler turned around quickly to find a guy to block and executed it textbook.

Very small example of a young player demonstrating quick-response situational awareness for a very fundamental concept. Something we need much more of.

after Farmer’s INT, I loved how Jimari Butler turned around quickly to find a guy to block and executed it textbook.

Very small example of a young player demonstrating quick-response situational awareness for a very fundamental concept. Something we need much more of.
Gunnerson’s tackle of the Rutger’s player who scooped up the blocked punt and was headed to the end zone was another.

Coaching: My wife is an amazing pastry chef. She can walk into your house, find a soda cracker, a piece of cheese, a few jars of something or other and make you an amazing meal. This is what these coaches are doing with the very little they have to work with.
Great points - but this one really sticks out. We have to remember that Frost left Mickey with potentially the worst team in the B1G. The example of your wife taking some scraps and making a meal out of it is perfect. Mickey and Busch have taken these scraps and not made a chef caliber meal, but something better than they found. I am hopeful that we see these meals improve week by week.

I just rewatched the game and saw that as well. Very good point.

Aggression: These coaches have the kids playing hard every single play, all 4 quarters.

Ugly Wins: are better than morale building losses. There are going to be days when you are just 2nd best. We capitalized on mistakes, dug deep, and got it done.

Belief: Players with a winning mentality come up with big plays when they really count, even if they aren’t playing great.

Game Management: Adults are in charge. Rutgers had our number in the first quarter. We made all kinds of adjustments on both sides of the ball. Yes, we failed execution a number of times, but we had the right ideas.

Intangibles: We have won 2 P5 in a row, 2 B1G in a row. One home, one away. MJ believes in one game at a time. I honestly don’t see how or where we win another game, but I imagine these guys just might.

That poor kid needs to examine his life choices.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_

Good take. There's plenty to nitpick, but we can also celebrate the good.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I love that Mickey and Busch are throwing some new blood in there

that was one thing I absolutely hated about our previous coach - all this waiting until mystically players were "ready"

when the lights are bright, it's pretty obvious pretty quick if a kid has it or not

• Love
Reactions: BleedRed78
I know Hartzog got picked on, BUT what I saw was he was usually in pretty good position to make a play. A couple I think he needed to make a better effort, but he was right there.

This contrasted from what I saw from Moore and safeties who seemed more out of position (not close to WR) more often if my memory serves.

Reactions: headcard
ADVERTISEMENT