ADVERTISEMENT

Running out of bounds

NUSouth

Senior
Oct 25, 2009
was really disappointed with the play where 2am ran out of bounds 5 yards before encountering a defensive player. On the replay there were no defensive players in the picture when he went OOB.

He could have easily got 5 more yards and still run out of bounds, or he could have cut back or God forbid taken on the D-back and got who knows how many more yards. Is that Frost style to run out of bounds so early ?

Just thought this play showed what is wrong with 2am this year. Maybe he's saving himself for the draft, or whatever, but if he doesn't want to get every yard he can get Mccafferty in there and we'll go from there.

was really disappointed with the play where 2am ran out of bounds 5 yards before encountering a defensive player. On the replay there were no defensive players in the picture when he went OOB.

He could have easily got 5 more yards and still run out of bounds, or he could have cut back or God forbid taken on the D-back and got who knows how many more yards. Is that Frost style to run out of bounds so early ?

Just thought this play showed what is wrong with 2am this year. Maybe he's saving himself for the draft, or whatever, but if he doesn't want to get every yard he can get Mccafferty in there and we'll go from there.
Mo did the same thing...I do wonder if AM is thinking he will get drafted this year and has fallen for the koolaid that he is ready for big time. They are also young players...I mean in a good situation AM would still be a RSH freshman as would Mo...neither were really ready as True freshman. I still get the impression that a lot of these experiences for these two cats are new. Remember AM didn't even play his senior year and if you add up football experience he is quite raw and a bit apprehensive with contact.

AM better not be thinking about the draft this year...because he isn't eligible. The sh*t some of you come up with to complain, I swear.

I assume he went out of bounds because he is thinking about his availability long-term over the season.

You know what I would have found real disappointing? If he tweaks his shoulder trying to level a DB trying to pick up 5 meaningless extra yards.

Mo did the same thing...I do wonder if AM is thinking he will get drafted this year and has fallen for the koolaid that he is ready for big time. They are also young players...I mean in a good situation AM would still be a RSH freshman as would Mo...neither were really ready as True freshman. I still get the impression that a lot of these experiences for these two cats are new. Remember AM didn't even play his senior year and if you add up football experience he is quite raw and a bit apprehensive with contact.

Player has to be three years out of HS to enter NFL

AM couldn't go this year even if he had an amazing season and wanted to enter the draft

AM better not be thinking about the draft this year...because he isn't eligible. The sh*t some of you come up with to complain, I swear.

I assume he went out of bounds because he is thinking about his availability long-term over the season.

You know what I would have found real disappointing? If he tweaks his shoulder trying to level a DB trying to pick up 5 meaningless extra yards.

Frost said he wanted our QBs to be IBs when they ran. I'm sure Frost is pissed he ran out of bounds so much as well unless Frost is full of it. If I'm Frost looking at film I'm thinking I don't have a QB who can make quick decisions or run the way I want them to.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
Jonathan Taylor has had two outstanding seasons running the ball at Wisconsin. But, as others have mentioned, you have to be three years removed from high school to be eligible for draft.

Freshman
RS freshman
True sophomores

Unless out of high school three years, are not eligible.

I remember that play and we missed converting on the next play. A few more yards might have made third down makeable.

Post of the day.
People really are nitpicking. Losing brings out the silly season.

Reactions: jnelsen040
Frost said he wanted our QBs to be IBs when they ran. I'm sure Frost is pissed he ran out of bounds so much as well unless Frost is full of it. If I'm Frost looking at film I'm thinking I don't have a QB who can make quick decisions or run the way I want them to.

I bet he plays how he is coached to play. Why do I think that? Because he is an outstanding young man, a captain, and someone who is very coachable. How do I know that? Apart from the heaps of praise Verduzco and Frost shower upon him, he routinely repeats to the media the exact messages they tell him and the rest of the team.

Your attempt to make AM out to be some kind of pariah is immature, and frankly, embarrassing. I am ashamed to be a fan next to the likes of you and all these other entitled reactionaries who come out of the floorboards after every loss, who have nothing better to do than find the worst in things and tear down the young men who are doing their best to make their coaches, fans, and universities proud. It’s sad and insufferable. It makes me wonder why I’ve spent so much of my time reading this board.

And maybe Frost isn’t a liar. Maybe he does want a QB who plays like an I-Back, like he did. Wouldn’t that be something in today’s game? Yeah, it would. But I also think Frost is smart enough to know that those days are long past because you don’t take a talent like Adrian and run him at linebackers full speed in this offense, not if you want him to throw the ball at 68% clip, and not if you want him to play the whole season. Last I heard he still has Adrian suit up in a green jersey during practice. Does that make Frost a liar?

I bet he plays how he is coached to play. Why do I think that? Because he is an outstanding young man, a captain, and someone who is very coachable. How do I know that? Apart from the heaps of praise Verduzco and Frost shower upon him, he routinely repeats to the media the exact messages they tell him and the rest of the team.

Your attempt to make AM out to be some kind of pariah is immature, and frankly, embarrassing. I am ashamed to be a fan next to the likes of you and all these other entitled reactionaries who come out of the floorboards after every loss, who have nothing better to do than find the worst in things and tear down the young men who are doing their best to make their coaches, fans, and universities proud. It’s sad and insufferable. It makes me wonder why I’ve spent so much of my time reading this board.

And maybe Frost isn’t a liar. Maybe he does want a QB who plays like an I-Back, like he did. Wouldn’t that be something in today’s game? Yeah, it would. But I also think Frost is smart enough to know that those days are long past because you don’t take a talent like Adrian and run him at linebackers full speed in this offense, not if you want him to throw the ball at 68% clip, and not if you want him to play the whole season. Last I heard he still has Adrian suit up in a green jersey during practice. Does that make Frost a liar?
Ok. THIS is the post of the day. Lol. Well said!

Stop putting in the effort. I didn't read the entirety of your estrogen filled drivel.

Stop putting in the effort. I didn't read the entirety of your estrogen filled drivel.

Not my problem you couldn’t make it through it. Maybe if you were better at taking criticism or more self-aware your opinions wouldn’t be complete dogshite. Because unlike my estrogen filled rants, your expressions of hurt feelings fail to identify an appropriate target and/or come from some mighty unrealistic expectations. As I said above, sad.

I don't want a QB who is looking for D Backs to run over, but I do want one who will try to get every yard out of a play that he can. 2am could have got 5 more yards with nothing more than getting pushed out of bounds. He's not Aron Rodgers or some other old guy who is a the key to the franchise so needing to save himself is nonsense.

Seems when we ran option that it was expected QBs would get hit and that they were going to get every inch out of the play that they could. Can you imagine the reaction of the Peters and AC if frost would have ever run out of bounds 5 yards before contact.

In my humble opinion that play showed a complete lack of effort and I think should be treated the same as the Lamar Jackson lack of effort issue last year.

I don't want a QB who is looking for D Backs to run over, but I do want one who will try to get every yard out of a play that he can. 2am could have got 5 more yards with nothing more than getting pushed out of bounds. He's not Aron Rodgers or some other old guy who is a the key to the franchise so needing to save himself is nonsense.

Seems when we ran option that it was expected QBs would get hit and that they were going to get every inch out of the play that they could. Can you imagine the reaction of the Peters and AC if frost would have ever run out of bounds 5 yards before contact.

In my humble opinion that play showed a complete lack of effort and I think should be treated the same as the Lamar Jackson lack of effort issue last year.

Fair enough, how many teams today run the quarterback in the way you describe, in the same way we did in the 90s? It's uncommon now for a reason--the entire scheme has gone the way of the dinosaur. If you want to be a power team with a run first quarterback instead of a spread team, we will be stuck recruiting glorified running backs as quarterbacks who aren't really adept at throwing the football. It's a possible way to go, and it's the way we used to be. But it's not Frost's offense, not matter how much he likes to hearken back to it and meld elements from it into his own.

More importantly, I simply disagree that Martinez showed a "complete lack of effort." That's hyperbole. I've watched the play three times. When he scrambled from the pocket I have no reason to suspect he was not running at full effort and speed. Same thing when he juked the defender out of the pocket to get the first down. I have no reason to believe that wasn't his best effort. By that point he was close the sideline and had accomplished his goal--getting a first down and keeping the drive alive.

If someone wants to criticize him for only thinking "first down" and not "touchdown" then I won't take issue with that. What I take issue with are the following assumptions:

a) he didn't try
b) his effort is reflective of someone who doesn't have the desire to win
c) he lacks moxie
d) he is scared of contact
e) he is thinking about his health because he is worried about his draft stock

I think these are the reactions of an entitled, angry fan who lacks the emotional intelligence and/or self-control to realize there might be other explanations available that don't involve any of these extreme claims.

To be clear, I don't think that's what your'e doing (though I do think it's what Bruce is doing), and so please don't take this as disrespect of you and your otherwise thoughtful post. By "complete lack of effort" I take it you mean AM did not do all he could do, and if that's what you meant, I don't disagree though I don't have have a problem with it. Reasonable people can certainly disagree about that.

Reactions: 50Front and BigredN
I'm thinking Frost is full of it in this case. If you want your QBs to run like IBs you don't put green practice jerseys on every practice. I'm also thinking he was told to avoid contact for the South Alabama game. Our players do need to cut upfield more instead of running out of bounds. A lot of times secondary players will miss those tackles and those runs will go for big gains.

AM needs to be a playmaker and if he's not getting it done through the air, he needs to do it with his feet. He's got plenty of size to be able to take a hit and break tackles a decent amount of the time. There's no reason he should be going out of bounds before the first down line.

Reactions: jeans15
Wouldn't be surprised if word is starting to get around - Martinez will cough it up. Once you get that rep defenders are going to take their best shot.

Wouldn't be surprised if word is starting to get around - Martinez will cough it up. Once you get that rep defenders are going to take their best shot.

The play reminded me of a few years ago when our tight end (cotton) ran out of bounds before getting hit though there's a big difference between a tight end and a quarterback running out of bounds it still puts a soft feel on the team.

I've said it several times over the last week: Martinez is acting like a coach, not a player. He ran out of bounds because he wanted to protect himself for the long term. Whatever has caused it I don't know, but it's turned a game-changer into a game-manager.

I just rewatched the game. He would have gotten killed if he didn't step out of bounds. There were two defenders waiting to hit him.

I have to rethink my criticism of the OP. Verduzco said today he wants AM to run like Frost ran as a QB. If that is true then he shouldn’t be running out of bounds early. That said... in other times during the game AM did run into the teeth of things. Perhaps that one play where he ran out early was just a brain fart. An anomaly.

The bigger issue is that AM seems slow on his zone read plays this year.

Until I see it, I think that AM is a lot slower running and making decisions so far. Is it physical or mental or just a figment of my imagination?

Player has to be three years out of HS to enter NFL

AM couldn't go this year even if he had an amazing season and wanted to enter the draft
My mistake, thought I was wrong as I typed, but he still could be having an "NFL mindset". I just saw with Fields from OSU that they are forcing him to stay in the pocket and wait longer until he runs and maybe somebody has been in AMs ear that he needs to be have more of a pocket presence. Or the multiple injuries he has had made him think twice about going head first into a defender. I do think Frost set a rush limit at 10 carries which is why they limited him in the 2nd half. The game is much more complicated now with all the data we have on body wear and tear, concussions, and success in the NFL. 20 years ago a guy just went balls to wall regardless of consequences...we now know it is better for an NFL running back to have limited carries in college because he only gets a certain amount before his body breaks down. Similar with head trauma. This is why few running backs are successful past 28-30.

I have to rethink my criticism of the OP. Verduzco said today he wants AM to run like Frost ran as a QB. If that is true then he shouldn’t be running out of bounds early. That said... in other times during the game AM did run into the teeth of things. Perhaps that one play where he ran out early was just a brain fart. An anomaly.

The bigger issue is that AM seems slow on his zone read plays this year.

Well, so much for my opinion.

I honestly don’t know why they would want him to run like Frost at all times though. Inside power when five wide, sure (like his touchdown you’re alluding to). But when he is wedged between a defender and the sideline?

Here’s the thing. Frost wasn’t half the thrower Martinez is and he wasn’t asked to throw but half the time. Does it make sense to have him lowering his shoulder and taking on unnecessary contact?

Virtually all contact Frost took on was necessary, because he was a glorified RB playing QB. And the offense wanted him to be that.

Well, so much for my opinion.

I honestly don’t know why they would want him to run like Frost at all times though. Inside power when five wide, sure (like his touchdown you’re alluding to). But when he is wedged between a defender and the sideline?

Here’s the thing. Frost wasn’t half the thrower Martinez is and he wasn’t asked to throw but half the time. Does it make sense to have him lowering his shoulder and taking on unnecessary contact?

Virtually all contact Frost took on was necessary, because he was a glorified RB playing QB. And the offense wanted him to be that.
I agree about Martinez as the better passer. And personally, I would still rather see AM run but do so with an eye toward avoiding the big hit. Heck, even TMart started sliding his last two years.

I am just reacting to what Verduzco said which gives the OP some cred in his opinion. But I still don’t think it is wise.

Reactions: CC_Lemming
I agree about Martinez as the better passer. And personally, I would still rather see AM run but do so with an eye toward avoiding the big hit. Heck, even TMart started sliding his last two years.

I am just reacting to what Verduzco said which gives the OP some cred in his opinion. But I still don’t think it is wise.

I know, and I agree. I think there is a disconnect between what the coaches are saying, and telling AM, and how the fans are receiving it. But it's hard to blame them when you say you want him to run like Frost did.

That guy did not run out of bounds very often, certainly not when there were yards still to be gained.

Or maybe I am flat out wrong and he starts trying to truck people from now on. (I doubt it.)

I know, and I agree. I think there is a disconnect between what the coaches are saying, and telling AM, and how the fans are receiving it. But it's hard to blame them when you say you want him to run like Frost did.

That guy did not run out of bounds very often, certainly not when there were yards still to be gained.

Or maybe I am flat out wrong and he starts trying to truck people from now on. (I doubt it.)

Tebow is about the only QB ever that ran like Frost, though he was definitely slower.

I just rewatched the game. He would have gotten killed if he didn't step out of bounds. There were two defenders waiting to hit him.
Yes, he could have maybe gotten another yard or two, but at a price. He had already made a nice run for a first down. Sometimes you have to choose your battles.

Reactions: 50Front

That's one of the main reasons TMart was less effective his last 2 years. We neutered his best asset in his running ability. If Adrian isn't getting it done in the air, he needs to do it with his legs. Most of the big hits he has taken were between the tackles on designed run plays. We saw last year he can be very good in space, so having him run out of bounds instead of cutting upfield and getting more yards is just dumb imo. If he breaks open a big play on a qb scramble, we wouldn't have to call as many designed qb runs that usually don't go for more yards anyway.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker

Yea, I don't think he is playing the way he is coached to. I would say I will wait for an apology but I doubt I'll get one.

Yea, I don't think he is playing the way he is coached to. I would say I will wait for an apology but I doubt I'll get one.

Here is a sincere, estrogen-filled apology for you Bruce: I'm sorry my opinion turned out to be wrong re: the "run like Frost" claim.

That doesn't mean your opinion is vindicated. In other words, I'm not sorry I questioned your opinion. Because that doesn't mean Frost is a liar because he has AM wear a green jersey in practice. And because you and plenty of others insinuated or flat out claimed AM is running out of bounds because

a) he lacks moxie/isn't tough
b) he is thinking about his draft stock
c) he is deliberately disobeying his coaches

All that is speculation, and pernicious at that. It could be as simple as d) they are now making it a point of emphasis for AM to run tougher. After hearing what Verduzco said, I think that is what he means.

And I still think you and plenty of others on here act like a bunch of chicken littles after every loss and mediocre win. Then you get angry and you start blaming the players. It's immature and it's dumb.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT