ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Ohio St leaving the Big Ten in 2024?

This is all some kind of weird, end of the world scenario game with all of the "what ifs"

What is most interesting to me is that when Nebraska left the B12, it was seen as a power move, money grab, disliked Texas control, etc, etc, etc. What we are hearing now, and should be a concern is that IF our name even comes up, it isn't in any kind of positive, power situation. In other words. the clout is long gone! Or at least seems to be. No one is knocking on our door or mentioning us in rumors to move, go anywhere else, or start some kind of super league. Do we even have a seat at the table any more or is it more likely under the table, just getting scraps?

One, the rumors of Ohio State and Michigan leaving for the SEC are stupid. Two, NU is not getting mentioned as possible candidate for a conference move because we are already in a great conference. Where would we go? The imploding B12? *wipes tears* The SEC? What's the point? About as stupid as suggesting Michigan and Ohio State are considering moving to the SEC. We're still in a great position. We're in the weaker half of the conference and we haven't done jack. It's been all set up for us to dominate.

Reactions: huskerfan66
One, the rumors of Ohio State and Michigan leaving for the SEC are stupid. Two, NU is not getting mentioned as possible candidate for a conference move because we are already in a great conference. Where would we go? The imploding B12? *wipes tears* The SEC? What's the point? About as stupid as suggesting Michigan and Ohio State are considering moving to the SEC. We're still in a great position. We're in the weaker half of the conference and we haven't done jack. It's been all set up for us to dominate.

Yeah. I dont understand it. This is weird

This is all some kind of weird, end of the world scenario game with all of the "what ifs"

What is most interesting to me is that when Nebraska left the B12, it was seen as a power move, money grab, disliked Texas control, etc, etc, etc. What we are hearing now, and should be a concern is that IF our name even comes up, it isn't in any kind of positive, power situation. In other words. the clout is long gone! Or at least seems to be. No one is knocking on our door or mentioning us in rumors to move, go anywhere else, or start some kind of super league. Do we even have a seat at the table any more or is it more likely under the table, just getting scraps?
Nebraska should be reaching out to the SEC.

No trolling intended. The biggest downfall for Nebraska has been losing previous fertile recruiting grounds. Those would open up as an SEC school.

Not sure if SEC would be interested, but it would be better for Nebraska.

Nebraska should be reaching out to the SEC.

No trolling intended. The biggest downfall for Nebraska has been losing previous fertile recruiting grounds. Those would open up as an SEC school.

Not sure if SEC would be interested, but it would be better for Nebraska.
At this point, the research in the Big Ten is bigger than anything the SEC can offer. Especially since everyone has written our future off anyway

Reactions: MIZ...SEC
BB - you missed the point of my post almost completely.

1. I never said a single word about tOSU and Michigan leaving the B1G. You called the "rumors" "stupid". So my questions are: is it rumor that they were approached by the SEC and how do you know they were not. I admittedly do not know, nor do I pretend to know which is why I made the comment in my first sentience about "end of the world scenario with all of the "what ifs." Which is to say, there is lots of talk out there, end of what I know.

2. This is the point I am most concerned about. I mention a few of things we were accused of when we left the B12, power, money, hated Texas, etc and most of all, we were bargaining from a position of relative power. I would totally disagree that we are "still in a great position." That would be true if EVERYTHING stays exactly the same but it is doubtful it will. Moreover, my primary comparison was between where we stood in relative strength as a college program then as compared to now. We bag on the Rutgers, Marylands, Iowas, and Indiana of the league but yet we have failed to consistently beat them at anything except VB and bowling, certainly not in football (our bread and butter) and basketball.

I am going to disagree and say we are NOT in a great position based on the fact, we have been a program in decline for several years. We have become the place where AD's and FB coaches come to die. I am hopeful that someday soon that all turns around but until it does, the number of chips we bring are pretty sparse.

The rumors of Ohio State and Michigan going to the SEC are stupid. It's my opinion that they are not considering a move. We're in a great position, regardless of Scott Frost. If he can somehow find a way to pull it all together, then I believe that most would be happy to be in the Big Ten.

Just because I think that NU is in a great position doesn't mean that I'm happy with Scott Frost's results. The West is ours for the taking. It has ever since we've joined. I'm just going to believe that this is the year that it all comes together for Frost. We get back to winning 9-10 games a year and get to the CCG.

Forget about Texas that can't make it in the league they have ruled since it's inception. Weak.

the big 10 could take ku & nd, or the tar heels and nd...
them would be 2 reasonable response to the sec right now

dragging a miami or so cal in would require a lot more variables

Nebraska doesn't really have a whole ton to gain from the SEC.

If we go, it'll be as part of some 20 or 24 team mega package. Which means the SEC will have basically half or more of the competitive 40 football teams in it and virtually all of the national championship contenders.

when everyone is special, no one is. So those kids who want to play in the sec have 24 teams worth of choices to make instead of half that number now and demographics means that virtually all of those schools are closer to home than NU is. Plus I'm sure the ideal of the "real sec" teams vs the new additions who straggled in for relevance and tv dollars will be a recruiting point going forward. plus the usual arguments about oceans and climate, or African American population or whatever we fight about that Lincoln lacks.

Keep in mind that historically even the worst teams in the SEC have had access to the sec recruiting footprint and that has not assured them a pool of top talent with which to compete at the level we want to compete. Nebraska having access to Texas and Louisiana will still mostly get leftovers from teams like Texas and LSU. We already out recruit probably three quarters of the teams we lose to, so talent on a day to day level isn't going to be fixed just by having more footprint. To compete against Alabama and Georgia we'll either have to find a way to punch above our talent level or out recruit them in their backyard (because it's now our backyard).

Going to either SEC would be kind of exciting but it would more or less cement our status as an also ran. Even if we were a substantially better football team we'd make more championship games and playoffs in our current conference and division than we would being a mid tier SEC team that perennially gets out recruited.

It's also worth keeping in mind what folks have said is the obvious end state for what, twenty or so years now. Four 16 team conferences with the champions getting automatic playoff bids.

Now it doesn't have to be exactly that, if CFB wants to subvert itself to the South then we can destroy the B1G and Pac today and send all the relevant teams to the SEC and ACC and gave two super conferences that each have two divisions and do the same thing.

Behind the scenes if they believe in the idea of a four conference end state then it behooves the USC and the OSU of the world to stay right where they are. There's enough football outside of the deep south to support two conference in this NCAA less NIL enabled playoff realignment. OSU could essential run one of these conferences...or they could go south and let Bama make the decisions for them.

Basically the Pac and B1G have to agree to not self destruct and they should come out fine in the end.

Reactions: Cornmaker
Love to see a situation where Big Ten and Pac Ten had a crossover agreement. Play 8 conference game with two being out of division and 2-3 against Pac. Division champs would be based strictly off play against your division opponents with tie breaker on how you performed against other division first, then against the PAC crossover. This would eliminate most of the cross division schedule issues we have now where divisions could be decided by who has the easiest crossover schedule. Have a separate TV deal for your games with the PAC split among all schools

If the Big Ten felt Nebraska should play OSU and USC every year we wouldn't care because our end goal is winning West to go to championship game which get you into playoffs. Also weight strength of schedule highly for any at large berths to reward a team who may have an unbalanced schedule one year.

Having that group of 26 teams working together would ensure competitive revenue, national recruiting and a reasonable seat at table for any discussions regardless of what else the SEC does.
Agreed. Pac and B1G historically aligned and politically sort of agree about purpose in being for these institutions and their football teams. Also share the Rose Bowl etc. If they basically don't self implode now, they'll be fine.

Doent mean they'll win the Natty every year but I think in the long run their member schools will be quite happy with the financials and the competitive opportunity.

Someone pointed out some intial numbers on the board and the new SEC was about 90 mill per school and the B1G would be 85 or something like that. How many million is worth being your own entity worth to the tip schools in the B1G.

Can the Big 10 please get out of bed with the Pac 12. I'd rather we not play a rotating schedule of crappy Pac 12 teams.
I think Destiny at this point dictate the Pac 12 as our blood brothers.

Outside a very small handful of teams like Clemson and OSU basically the rest of the CFB world is not competing with the too echelon of the SEC.

ACC footprint being what it is I don't know that the in any super conference free for all we'd have much luck poaching some of the mid tier southern teams like North Carolina. we also have to consider that a good number of acc teams have natural rivalries with other southern schools that make them a good bit of money.

If I were trying to build a conference that has long term stability and negotiating power on the order of a century or more, even though there's a decent bit of talent in places like North Carolina and the school managed to be respectably competitive in football in some years I'd much rather own the premier western schools and their tv markets.

Any conference or close alignment of two conference that owns every major tv market in the country from LA to NYC including Texas because the SEC won't take all six Texas Teams is a force to be reckoned with.

But I generally don't see it as the conference job to win a Natty. It just needs to make sure the conference members have the resources to do so if they so choose. This would guarantee that even if the OSU and NU and USC and Oregon's of the world only occasionally align the stars up.

Can the Big 10 please get out of bed with the Pac 12. I'd rather we not play a rotating schedule of crappy Pac 12 teams.
I think Destiny at this point dictate the Pac 12 as our blood brothers.

Outside a very small handful of teams like Clemson and OSU basically the rest of the CFB world is not competing with the too echelon of the SEC.

ACC footprint being what it is I don't know that the in any super conference free for all we'd have much luck poaching some of the mid tier southern teams like North Carolina. we also have to consider that a good number of acc teams have natural rivalries with other southern schools that make them a good bit of money.

If I were trying to build a conference that has long term stability and negotiating power on the order of a century or more, even though there's a decent bit of talent in places like North Carolina and the school managed to be respectably competitive in football in some years I'd much rather own the premier western schools and their tv markets.

Any conference or close alignment of two conference that owns every major tv market in the country from LA to NYC including Texas because the SEC won't take all six Texas Teams is a force to be reckoned with.

But I generally don't see it as the conference job to win a Natty. It just needs to make sure the conference members have the resources to do so if they so choose. This would guarantee that even if the OSU and NU and USC and Oregon's of the world only occasionally align the stars up.

Snuggle up with the ACC and SEC and the northern schools would give them access to money of the other two thirds of the country but we wouldn't necessarily be proportionally compensated in recruits flowing north.

Ohio State might be tired of the limitations the big 10 puts on its members the sec and acc don't have. Winning a championship is more difficult in the big 10.
You know nothing about them. I have lots of family in the Columbus area & work with Alumni. Ohio St is not going anywhere, their income from athletics ($100M) is less than 5% of OS annual 6.8Billion take.
Let’s add that OS field the 2nd most (Stanford) sports teams in all of college 31.
The SEC schools average 16, so where are the rest to play? Nowhere

B1G won’t exist for them to leave. Fact

This is why football needs to be separated from the universities. Those are 2 competing interests in some cases.
Love it. I've been advocating it for a while, though don't separate football totally; just make the NFL pay a huge fee for the right to run a minor-league football operation on a major college campus, say two schools for each team, making a 64-team league:
  • Schools would be free to create conferences for their Olympic sports, conferences that are more regional and allow for more cost-effective travel. Maybe a return to the traditional eight- to 10-team conference setups would work, you know, the Big Eight, the Mountain States, the old SEC and Pac-8, etc.
  • With a subsidy from the NFL's new college football minor league, schools could keep all the opportunities they current provide female athletes and ADD 85 scholarships for men's sports such as ice hockey and soccer, but also provide for full baseball scholarships.

Reactions: NikkiSixx
I was thinking about this yesterday. There are some serious limitations to adding PAC 12 teams to the BIG. Football would be fine but all of your other sports are going to struggle logistically. It makes more sense to have a formal agreement between the PAC 12 and Big ten to have crossover games in a sort of merged league rather than just a huge conference. With the history of the BIG and PAC in the Rose Bowl it seems a natural fit to leverage the two leagues into an agreement for tv.
Both conferences had this exact conversation several years ago, and the PAC 12 eventually declined, as I recall. To me it makes much more sense to have that agreement w/ the ACC, since we already have a similar agreement with them for basketball every year (BIG/ACC Challenge). Logistically it makes sense, plus it fences in the SEC from owning the entire east/south east.

Both conferences had this exact conversation several years ago, and the PAC 12 eventually declined, as I recall. To me it makes much more sense to have that agreement w/ the ACC, since we already have a similar agreement with them for basketball every year (BIG/ACC Challenge). Logistically it makes sense, plus it fences in the SEC from owning the entire east/south east.
I don't see why the ACC is better fit than the PAC 12. We've had a relationship with the PAC 12 way longer than the ACC. They're both out of our geographic region. However, I could still see us poaching UVA and UNC.

I don't see why the ACC is better fit than the PAC 12. We've had a relationship with the PAC 12 way longer than the ACC. They're both out of our geographic region. However, I could still see us poaching UVA and UNC.
Huh? The ACC is WAY closer to the BIG's geographic region than the PAC 12, with some states directly bordering each other.

Not sure if time zones would be a big deal or not

Not sure if time zones would be a big deal or not
I don’t have the specific information and data in front of me, but there is some evidence that NFL teams going from the West Coast to the East Coast were at a disadvantage in noon eastern start times. Essentially those are 9am start times. I would think a 6 or 7pm pacific start would be equally disadvantageous to an eastern team. 9pm or 10 pm start to a 3 hour game.

Huh? The ACC is WAY closer to the BIG's geographic region than the PAC 12, with some states directly bordering each other.
Not really. You're going to have to fly to every location so it doesn't make a difference. For Maryland, UVA and UNC are close. For Nebraska? Everything is far.

Love it. I've been advocating it for a while, though don't separate football totally; just make the NFL pay a huge fee for the right to run a minor-league football operation on a major college campus, say two schools for each team, making a 64-team league:
  • Schools would be free to create conferences for their Olympic sports, conferences that are more regional and allow for more cost-effective travel. Maybe a return to the traditional eight- to 10-team conference setups would work, you know, the Big Eight, the Mountain States, the old SEC and Pac-8, etc.
  • With a subsidy from the NFL's new college football minor league, schools could keep all the opportunities they current provide female athletes and ADD 85 scholarships for men's sports such as ice hockey and soccer, but also provide for full baseball scholarships.

The NFL has a lot of money, but they also aren't going to piss it down their leg. Having the NFL run a minor league system on college campuses would be somewhat complex and would probably kill college football as we know it, which may or may not lead to a product that current college football fans would embrace.

If the NFL is essentially going to have a 64 team expansion, the way business is run and who makes the decisions will probably change. If they are ponying up the money, they are probably working the tv deals and all that, and they aren't going to leave it to school AD's to make football decisions anymore. There's a good chunk of fans, especially in flyover country, for whom taking say the Huskers and making it a corporately run woke franchise feeder isn't what they envision the final evolution of Husker football to be. It basically would be the Lincoln Beef reachable at P.O. Box 17, NYC.

A host of regulations would come in, would Bama be able to pay their assistants as much as most schools pay their HC, would their HC be allowed to make 3x what a normal HC makes, etc. In the interest of protecting value for all the schools, they would level some of this out which would piss the haves off. Many of whom would want NFL money, but not NFL control. The NFL also has an interest in goosing the health of national tv exposure, just like the real league it will fixate on trying to pump up the LA and NYC market vis a vis teams like USC or Syracuse at the expense of name teams in smaller markets like say Nebraska or Oklahoma or Bama.

Would teams be allowed to recruit in a free for all as presently done, or would a competition committee require talent to be distributed more or less evenly across this league?

Facilities also would be a sticky issue. At first glance its easy to say, well schools have facilities, just have the NFL run the team that occupies them. When you rip control of the team from the school, the schools will no longer maintain a facilities war and the donations drives to entice better recruits and make more money, all of that has been decided by the NFL, they just need to train players. So now the NFL has to require schools to maintain some minimum standard of facilities out of the payout or kick in a bit of money themselves to maintain them.

For alot of fans of CFB, the quirks of it are what make it palatable vice the NFL. The fact that you have legacy recruits and bloodlines at schools. That your school traditionally is good and puts alot of booster effort in securing the best of everything to be a blue blood. That you went to said school and burnt out too many brain cells rooting for a particular team. Etc. Putting in corporate overlords might make the gamblers and portions of the super hard core fanbase happy, but the everyday person who went to said school and has a school hat probably overall won't like the changes.

The NFL has a lot of money, but they also aren't going to piss it down their leg. Having the NFL run a minor league system on college campuses would be somewhat complex and would probably kill college football as we know it, which may or may not lead to a product that current college football fans would embrace.

If the NFL is essentially going to have a 64 team expansion, the way business is run and who makes the decisions will probably change. If they are ponying up the money, they are probably working the tv deals and all that, and they aren't going to leave it to school AD's to make football decisions anymore. There's a good chunk of fans, especially in flyover country, for whom taking say the Huskers and making it a corporately run woke franchise feeder isn't what they envision the final evolution of Husker football to be. It basically would be the Lincoln Beef reachable at P.O. Box 17, NYC.

A host of regulations would come in, would Bama be able to pay their assistants as much as most schools pay their HC, would their HC be allowed to make 3x what a normal HC makes, etc. In the interest of protecting value for all the schools, they would level some of this out which would piss the haves off. Many of whom would want NFL money, but not NFL control. The NFL also has an interest in goosing the health of national tv exposure, just like the real league it will fixate on trying to pump up the LA and NYC market vis a vis teams like USC or Syracuse at the expense of name teams in smaller markets like say Nebraska or Oklahoma or Bama.

Would teams be allowed to recruit in a free for all as presently done, or would a competition committee require talent to be distributed more or less evenly across this league?

Facilities also would be a sticky issue. At first glance its easy to say, well schools have facilities, just have the NFL run the team that occupies them. When you rip control of the team from the school, the schools will no longer maintain a facilities war and the donations drives to entice better recruits and make more money, all of that has been decided by the NFL, they just need to train players. So now the NFL has to require schools to maintain some minimum standard of facilities out of the payout or kick in a bit of money themselves to maintain them.

For alot of fans of CFB, the quirks of it are what make it palatable vice the NFL. The fact that you have legacy recruits and bloodlines at schools. That your school traditionally is good and puts alot of booster effort in securing the best of everything to be a blue blood. That you went to said school and burnt out too many brain cells rooting for a particular team. Etc. Putting in corporate overlords might make the gamblers and portions of the super hard core fanbase happy, but the everyday person who went to said school and has a school hat probably overall won't like the changes.

Last paragraph resonates with me. I definitely would be done if they moved to that model. I have already quite attending and watching the NFL in our local market. I can fish and golf on Saturdays too.

Great questions and analysis. It's a pipe dream, for sure.

The idea was first posited in Rick Telander's book "The Hundred-Yard Lie" back in the late '80s, I believe. The idea would be that the entire system would be run by the NFL, which would pay hefty licensing fees to the universities for the use of names, nicknames, facilities, etc. There would be no connection to the university other than the name and the history. The coaches and their salaries, along with player salaries, would be dictated by the NFL. Would Alabama give up its elite status to be just another minor-league franchise? Hell, no. Would we have done so 30 years ago? Now?

The players would get a salary, and they'd also get a voucher for an education. They could cash it in while they play or after their football careers end.

If players want a more traditional college experience, head to a school that has a football program not connected to the NFL.

My own personal problem with college football right now has to do with the 85 scholarships that it eats up, forcing cash-strapped athletic departments like Iowa to drop men's sports or not consider adding potentially lucrative sports such as ice hockey or soccer, or not provide full scholarships to athletes such as baseball players.

But yeah. It's likely not feasible unless the entire college football system becomes so corrupt that a majority of universities start to give up on it. That may be coming, but not anytime soon, or in my lifetime, for sure.

Thanks for the cold dose of reality.

Great questions and analysis. It's a pipe dream, for sure.

The idea was first posited in Rick Telander's book "The Hundred-Yard Lie" back in the late '80s, I believe. The idea would be that the entire system would be run by the NFL, which would pay hefty licensing fees to the universities for the use of names, nicknames, facilities, etc. There would be no connection to the university other than the name and the history. The coaches and their salaries, along with player salaries, would be dictated by the NFL. Would Alabama give up its elite status to be just another minor-league franchise? Hell, no. Would we have done so 30 years ago? Now?

The players would get a salary, and they'd also get a voucher for an education. They could cash it in while they play or after their football careers end.

If players want a more traditional college experience, head to a school that has a football program not connected to the NFL.

My own personal problem with college football right now has to do with the 85 scholarships that it eats up, forcing cash-strapped athletic departments like Iowa to drop men's sports or not consider adding potentially lucrative sports such as ice hockey or soccer, or not provide full scholarships to athletes such as baseball players.

But yeah. It's likely not feasible unless the entire college football system becomes so corrupt that a majority of universities start to give up on it. That may be coming, but not anytime soon, or in my lifetime, for sure.

Thanks for the cold dose of reality.

I believe it could happen, but I think my concern is, would we want it to happen? Especially now that NIL is a thing, folks are like the money is flowing, lets just go to NFL-lite. I think for the vast majority of fans who appreciate traditional college football, the answer is no. We don't want another corporate league. Woke or unwoke.

In that way a revolution in CFB is no different than a revolution in real life. The boosters think they are the ones ushering in this great new way of governance, but in reality, once that governance is established and the suits take over, the boosters will be the ones out in the cold watching the corporately produced Bama Tide.

Reactions: tpmcg and 9and4
Not really. You're going to have to fly to every location so it doesn't make a difference. For Maryland, UVA and UNC are close. For Nebraska? Everything is far.
song girls. thats about a 1,000 mile equalizer.

Its a matter of time before conferences don't matter for football and basketball. Warren will try to keep things the same to appease the egghead academics, but he is clueless and incompetent. OSU sees the writing on the wall, it's survival of the fittest right now. Nebraska should get on their knees and beg to be follow osu.
I have no doubt you know quite a bit about getting on your knees.

ADVERTISEMENT