ADVERTISEMENT

rumor: Lance Leipold has agreed to become head coach

no, but I view him as the most likely of those who interest me (Fickell, Kiffin, Rhule to name a few)

I also think the best OC and DC in the SEC should get a de facto interview whoever it is
Will Muschamp at Georgia would be pretty underwhelming, as would O'Brien at Alabama.

Alex Golesh at Tennessee is interesting, and I'm guessing he'll be a hot name for other programs. I'm always hesitant about OC's under a HC who is most likely performing most of the OC duties.

Reactions: Bruce1981 and zrob
rumor circulating on reddit that LL flew to Lincoln this weekend to sign with Nebraska, won't be announced for another month.

flight-tracker:

I'd say there's a 25% chance this is true, but interesting nonetheless.

Fvck that noise…

What tells ya he’s a “great coach”? Could it possibly be his 2-3 standing & seventh place spot in the anemic B12, winning games with Les Miles recruits, or possibly his atrocious defense?

Got to say, Matt Campbell (who so many of the same crew was clamoring for) at 0-4 in the big 12 is making LL look at least somewhat appealing. 😒

Fvck that noise…

What tells ya he’s a “great coach”? Could it possibly be his 2-3 standing & seventh place spot in the anemic B12, winning games with Les Miles recruits, or possibly his atrocious defense?

Got to say, Matt Campbell (who so many of the same crew was clamoring for) at 0-4 in the big 12 is making LL look at least somewhat appealing. 😒
the fact that everywhere he's gone, he's improved the team by a ton.

the fact that they were 5-0 before they lost their star QB due to injury, yet still managed to nearly win each game with their backup.

if we were currently 5-3 with Brock Purdy/Logan Smothers, I'd be pretty happy with our coaching. instead, we're about to be 3-5 with our NIL money QB.

Would be in the bottom tier of my choices. Just based on who we think is available. Mostly because of age. Right or wrong.

Reactions: BleedRed78
rumor circulating on reddit that LL flew to Lincoln this weekend to sign with Nebraska, won't be announced for another month.

flight-tracker:

LOL, the dead give away that this is FAKE is claiming a flight tracker indicating he flew to Lincoln. The next coach is NOT going to fly to Lincoln because everyone knows that would be a dead giveaway. Reporters have that all staked out. Whoever the next coach is will be secretly flying to neutral 3rd city to meet Trev. Likely the city where the search firm is located but not necessarily.

LOL, the dead give away that this is FAKE is claiming a flight tracker indicating he flew to Lincoln. The next coach is NOT going to fly to Lincoln because everyone knows that would be a dead giveaway. Reporters have that all staked out. Whoever the next coach is will be secretly flying to neutral 3rd city to meet Trev. Likely the city where the search firm is located but not necessarily.
I was mistaken as the flight was to Lawrence, KS

dog walk GIF by lilcozynostril
Shit eating dog.

Lance Leipold​

Career Record: 8 Years, 44-46, .489 Win% (at major schools)
Context

Here's a coach's record after taking over a ranked, winning program with great bowl history:
Winning %
Year 1 - .643
Year 2 - .462
Year 3 - .714
This coach has gone on to build back the program into a perennial conference champion and national presence. He took over a team that was winning at a .667 clip prior and was nationally ranked at the end of the year more often than not.

Here's Leipold's winning % at Buffalo (not a winning program, not much bowl history):
Winning %
Year 1 - .417
Year 2 - .167
Year 3 - .500
Year 4 - .714
Year 5 - .615
Year 6 - .857

I'm not here to say Leipold will be the answer but I think it's very disingenuous to look at anyone's coaching record without looking at context. The competition was different for each but what was the same is they were competing within their conference, their peers. They were both winning and losing against teams that were more talented so they both won some they shouldn't have & lost some they shouldn't have. That's part of building a program.

I need two forms of proof before I bite on this...

Flight tracker of plane with proof of ownership to major donor or picture of him on the tarmac.

Installation work order from cable company showing his name...

Without both, I am moving on!!!

• Haha
Would be in the bottom tier of my choices. Just based on who we think is available. Mostly because of age. Right or wrong.
Perfect scenario for a coach in waiting situation. LL says he wants to go another 4 or 5 years before hanging it up, MJ is given Assistant Head Coach position / lead recruiter / WR coach, LL steps down, MJ takes over, and Husker Nation lives happily ever after.

Reactions: moralvictories
Who do you think is available? Might be a much smaller pool than you think, especially if you start lowballing them.

flight-tracker:

By “rumor on Reddit” are you referring to that single one post with just that flight tracker link and then only 4 comments below it?

And now you’re defending it as if it is 100% true like some weirdo?

Perfect scenario for a coach in waiting situation. LL says he wants to go another 4 or 5 years before hanging it up, MJ is given Assistant Head Coach position / lead recruiter / WR coach, LL steps down, MJ takes over, and Husker Nation lives happily ever after.
Leipold is 58, Joseph is 54, they are of the same age cohort. It's not like Mickey is some whippersnapper who needs time around the program to grow into the job.

remove the 2 years it took to rebuild Buffalo and the 1 year it took for Kansas and that becomes 0.648

I realize that's a fabricated metric, but when we're talking about taking over dumpster fires, you should pay more attention to the end of their tenure than the beginning.
Facts Year 1s or as some coaches are calling it year 0 are complete crapshoots. I pretty much take year 1's out for every coach now. Matt Rhule, Dave, or LL all have pretty good records once you account for this. Otherwise, you are always going to be penalizing coaches who have been to dumpster fires.

flight-tracker:

To me the problem I have with that scenario is...what if Mickey wins 4 games
(albeit unlikely)? That would seem to preclude Trev hiring anyone until he knows that is not attainable. The only way that I could imagine someone being signed early would mean that Mickey is ok with it and would be someone he is willing to work with .....don't think that would be LL. Under that scenario I could see Aranda....just my opinion....and you know what they say about opinions :)

I found this interesting. Lance Leipold's defensive rankings from his buffalo teams.

2015: 85th
2016: 92nd
2017: 78th
2018: 39th
2019: 6th
2020: 31st

Stats provided by Teamrankings.com.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
First problem with this latest rumor is that the originating flight was FROM Lincoln and arrived in Lawrence on Sunday and returned Monday. Seems backwards to me for a weekend visit but we’re just throwing out facts.

Second, Frost was flown all over the place on a jet. Smilin Mike Riley was brought in on a jet. So LL gets the use of a single prop dairy cart?

Gonna call it a Reddit Dipshit Rumor on this one.
that's because mike reilly and coach frost were flying 1000+ miles to get here not like 175

To me the problem I have with that scenario is...what if Mickey wins 4 games
(albeit unlikely)? That would seem to preclude Trev hiring anyone until he knows that is not attainable. The only way that I could imagine someone being signed early would mean that Mickey is ok with it and would be someone he is willing to work with .....don't think that would be LL. Under that scenario I could see Aranda....just my opinion....and you know what they say about opinions :)
If Joseph wins four of 5, he will be announced as the head coach shortly after the Iowa game.

Exactly.....which is why I find it hard to believe anyone has been signed already.
I do agree somewhat with you. Which is why I think the Illinois and Minnesota games, and Michigan if he somehow pulled that one out is important. I don't think Trev is going to wait until black Friday to make up his mind.

Leipold is 58, Joseph is 54, they are of the same age cohort. It's not like Mickey is some whippersnapper who needs time around the program to grow into the job.
Of course he does. Holy shit. It is the lack of HC which is his biggest negative.

Of course he does. Holy shit. It is the lack of HC which is his biggest negative.
only with the feeble-minded is it a negative

if people like you ran things, nothing would ever be accomplished that hadn't already been done before

I found this interesting. Lance Leipold's defensive rankings from his buffalo teams.

2015: 85th
2016: 92nd
2017: 78th
2018: 39th
2019: 6th
2020: 31st

Stats provided by Teamrankings.com.
please ensure you accompany these with the average offensive ranks these teams faced

thanks in advance!

i love the “look at what he did at KU”… what has he done? He’s 5-3 and they very well Could not win another game… what a panty dropper

quick, how good is he at recruiting?

only with the feeble-minded is it a negative

if people like you ran things, nothing would ever be accomplished that hadn't already been done before
Strong take. People like me do run things. Have you gotten back to trev yet with all your hot takes, or does your lunch break not give you enough time to meet with him?

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
Perception is everything though to young kids. Lance looks like an old man. Mickey doesn’t. Plus 4 years is still Younger. It’s basically a full cycle

So he traveled from Waco back to Lawrence on Saturday night but took an early flight out on Sunday to meet with Trev… Oh Ok

ADVERTISEMENT