ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor: Josh Heupel to TN

Lorax64

Dec 6, 2020

Very odd if that is indeed the direction White goes. Talk about burning a bridge with your former employer.

Reactions: headcard
Not a homerun for Tennessee IMO if true. Give him 3 years as a head coach in the SEC and then he'll get the boot.

Reactions: WHCSC
Not a homerun for Tennessee IMO if true. Give him 3 years as a head coach in the SEC and then he'll get the boot.

Very similar resume as Frost. Going from one of the easiest jobs in the country to an incredibly difficult one.

Very similar resume as Frost. Going from one of the easiest jobs in the country to an incredibly difficult one.

You'd think Heupel would look at Frost and realize that the grass isn't always greener. I know money talks, but Tennessee has been a career-killing job for the last 3 guys who tried to turn the program around.

You'd think Heupel would look at Frost and realize that the grass isn't always greener. I know money talks, but Tennessee has been a career-killing job for the last 3 guys who tried to turn the program around.

Doesnt seem so bad to me.

He will make more than 2x what he is making at UCF coaching at TN. If it doesn’t work out he can work as a position coach at Alabama for a few years while still getting paid by TN (his agent will negotiate a hefty buyout). By 2026 he can become the HC at Tulsa.

It's not like great coaches are going to line up for that job right now and Josh will get a few years because of the circumstances and the AD looks at him as his guy so there's a good relationship with the boss....and he'll cash millions in checks. Maybe Josh is the perfect guy for the next 2-3 years and their current problems are a distant memory by then and they can look for somebody better.

huh, kind of reminds me of Nebraska. What has happened to the last three guys here?

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
The biggest winner in this Vols debacle was Greg Schiano. Not only did he dodge a bullet by not getting that job, but he ended up at a place that will have him for 10 years so long as he can get to a bowl every 3-4 years.

The biggest winner in this Vols debacle was Greg Schiano. Not only did he dodge a bullet by not getting that job, but he ended up at a place that will have him for 10 years so long as he can get to a bowl every 3-4 years.

How do you know that if he would have taken the job that he wouldn’t have been very successful in Knoxville?

I never understand why people think it is a bad idea to take a job that is going to set you up for life, and your kids and their kids....no matter how good or bad you do.

If he gets it, he will probably sign a deal for 20-25 million dollars.

Shit even after taxes and agent fees...dude will make like 200K a month. For the next 5-6 years.

It's not like great coaches are going to line up for that job right now and Josh will get a few years because of the circumstances and the AD looks at him as his guy so there's a good relationship with the boss....and he'll cash millions in checks. Maybe Josh is the perfect guy for the next 2-3 years and their current problems are a distant memory by then and they can look for somebody better.
Except Tennessee fans are a LOT less patient than Nebraska fans. And Josh isn't a Tennessee legacy.

I never understand why people think it is a bad idea to take a job that is going to set you up for life, and your kids and their kids....no matter how good or bad you do.

Shit even after taxes and agent fees...dude will make like 200K a month. For the next 5-6 years.
Because some people don't understand how successful and confident people think. I guarantee it hasn't even cross Heupel's mind that he won't be an amazing success and a hero at UT. Yet some on here already have him negotiating a buyout.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Way to do a coaching search White. What a joke.
Why do a search if you have a guy with Heupel's resume who you're sure can do the job? Heupel is a really smart guy who has played and worked for some of the best. They HAD to get a coach in there ASAP to stop the bleeding and Heupel is a SUPER guy who is much better at talking to fans and the media than some coaches. I wouldn't want to coach at Tennessee but the chance to get a job like that doesn't come along all that often.

Last edited:

True, but he was already making $2.3million/year, so he was already set for life. Most people don't make that much in 30 years of working.

I think him already having a working relationship with the new AD is a bigger factor. He knows that White is going to give him time. Whereas, the new UCF AD might want to get his own guy, like many ADs do, so might not be as patient there.

Reactions: buddha7mu
I hope he can recruit, otherwise their ceiling is third in the division, optimistically.

Because some people don't understand how successful and confident people think. I guarantee it hasn't even cross Heupel's mind that he won't be an amazing success and a hero at UT. Yet some on here already have him negotiating a buyout.

I get it but this is not like he is starting his own business with no safety net. There is no reason for him to think it might go bad because he is getting paid no matter what.

Imagine a sales job where they said "Tell you what, if you make sales or if you don't make sales, we are still going to pay you for the next 5 years"

So heard via Gary on 1620 that Heupel has cut Kevin Steele loose and per guaranteed contract he signed approximately 14days ago, he will receive 900k. Not a bad bi-weekly paycheck.
GBR!

ADVERTISEMENT