ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Changes College and NFL

SLOHusker

Senior
Aug 7, 2001
What rule changes would you like to see in college and pros?
College:
1) Move the extra point kick back 10 yards. I think this makes teams consider the 2 point try more often, which makes things more interesting.
2) No automatic down without contact. I hate it when players are down just because they slip on a wet field. Allow players to get up and run until the opposing team stops them.

NFL:
1) Ditch the 2 minute warning. It's stupid and is a free timeout.
2) Use the college overtime rules. Sudden death is unfair.

Both:
1) Allow onside kicks to be recovered after 5 yards instead of 10. Make it easier to recover onside kicks.
2) Disallow spiking the ball to stop the clock. Call it intentional grounding.

With running clock in the NFL after a 1st down the 2 minute gives an interesting twist to clock management strategy. Makes you fully appreciate how much Andy Reid can't tell time.

Reactions: 9and4
College:
1) Move the extra point kick back 10 yards. I think this makes teams consider the 2 point try more often, which makes things more interesting.
2) No automatic down without contact. I hate it when players are down just because they slip on a wet field. Allow players to get up and run until the opposing team stops them.

NFL:

Both:
1) Allow onside kicks to be recovered after 5 yards instead of 10. Make it easier to recover onside kicks.
I like most of these. I'd also like to see college adopt the NFL rule for calling multiple timeouts in single dead ball period, so you don't have coaches using three timeouts to "ice" the kicker at the end of a half.

Reactions: Can o' corn
College:

NFL:

Both:
Good call on the spiking. Wasn't an original part of the game. They have plenty of TV timeouts. Complain about game being to long? Get rid of the spike.

College:

NFL:

Both:
Make college and NFL exactly like each other? No thanks. I don't like any of your ideas or think it makes the game better.

college needs to go back to the old rule pass interference will be the at the spot of the foul if foul occurred more than 10 yards down field

Reactions: Can o' corn
I just mentioned this on another thread, but I’d like to make a player who goes down for an injury sit out the rest of that possession. If they go down three times they are out of the game entirely - they can easily accomplish this in the name of player safety and watch these linemen falling to the ground decrease significantly.

I just mentioned this on another thread, but I’d like to make a player who goes down for an injury sit out the rest of that possession. If they go down three times they are out of the game entirely - they can easily accomplish this in the name of player safety and watch these linemen falling to the ground decrease significantly.

The Indiana rule, scumbag Allen teaches them to fake injuries.

I'd like to see kickers flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct when they try to draw roughing the kicker calls. Diving is a bush league move.

Reactions: baseball31ne
The one rule I want to see changed is get rid of the targeting penalty completely. Go back about 10 years ago where I believe they had incidental helmet to helmet contact as a 5 yard penalty and egregious helmet to helmet hits were a personal foul 15 yard penalty. Get rid of the ejection element altogether. There shouldn't be an ejection for play that happens on the field. The old way did plenty to discourage helmet to helmet hits while the targeting rule does nothing to discourage helmet hits besides handing out unfair punishment to a defensive player trying to make an incidental play.

college needs to go back to the old rule pass interference will be the at the spot of the foul if foul occurred more than 10 yards down field
Completely disagree. I'm glad none of you guys are on a rules committee.

The one rule I want to see changed is get rid of the targeting penalty completely. Go back about 10 years ago where I believe they had incidental helmet to helmet contact as a 5 yard penalty and egregious helmet to helmet hits were a personal foul 15 yard penalty. Get rid of the ejection element altogether. There shouldn't be an ejection for play that happens on the field. The old way did plenty to discourage helmet to helmet hits while the targeting rule does nothing to discourage helmet hits besides handing out unfair punishment to a defensive player trying to make an incidental play.
I say keep targeting if it is an intentional head to head contact.

Incidental ones should be waved off.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Instant replay can only be used twice per half per team. Every play is stupid!
Targeting needs reviewed if both players leading with helmet or offensive player is ducking into hit last second . If player is guilty, he can stay on sidelines.

Reactions: baseball31ne
Agree the targeting rule needs to be revised. A targeting call that carries an ejection should be reserved for the instances when the defender doesn't really attempt to make a clean hit, but instead clearly goes for the head. Helmet-to-helmet contact could still be a personal foul in other cases, but shouldn't always carry an ejection.

The semifinals provided good examples. The OU player deserved to be shown the door but the Buckeye did not, in my opinion. Correct call under the current rule, but that's why the rule needs more flexibility.

The hash marks need to be moved in like the nfl even with the goal posts. Rediculous that college kickers have angles to deal with that nfl kickers don’t.

If you catch a a ball in the end zone or on the sideline, once the foot comes down or on the sideline the once you step out with control of the ball. The play freezes and is a completion.

Reactions: 9and4
Years ago it was that way a spot foul instead of 15 yards
Things are already easy enough on receivers today. With receivers now all wearing gloves and the material of the ball, those long throws are being completed at a much higher rate than they were previously. A 15 yard penalty is plenty for a pass interference call if you ask me.

Reactions: SkerInCo and 9and4
Incomplete pass in the first 28 minutes of each half is timed the same as a run out of bounds — start the clock when the ball is deemed ready for play. In the final two minutes of each half, out of bounds runs and incomplete passes stop the clock until the beginning of the next play.

HOWEVER, if a player runs out of bounds with 2:01 (or 2:02, or 2:10) left in a half, the clock stops automatically at 2:00 until the next play is run. As it is now, if you run out of bounds at 2:01, the clock starts again when the ball is set and keeps running. But if you run out of bounds at 2:00 or 1:59, the clock stops until the next snap. Seems silly.

when the offense commits a penalty, the defense should choose if the clock stops or not. Nothing more ridiculous than the offense being rewarded (more time burns) for committing a false start.

I think the down without contact rule could be changed without a whole lot of grief.

Roll back all rules implemented in the last 20 years. Make it football again.

ADVERTISEMENT