ADVERTISEMENT

Royals and A's

beerdawg69

Redshirt Freshman
Aug 23, 2007
I'm starting to think these 2 teams do not like each other. Good series win. Go Royals.. Good to see all the fans at the K this weekend.

Fun weekend. Poor A's. I would be mad too if I had to go back to that sewage filled locker room.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I'm sure the athletics were still salty from the wildcard and lawries dirty slide just added foul to the fire. Add in that clown Jim Joyce throwing Ventura out no warning but not doing the same to kazmir today and you end up with a series like this.

Ought to be fun when these two teams hook up again.

The Royals better wear bubble wrap when then visit Oakland in late June!!
wink.r191677.gif

bubblewrap.jpg

Lawrie is a punk. The slide that took Escobar out was dirty as hell. He deserved to be thrown at. It should have been over when he was hit but Kazmir decided to go further. The umps set a precedent when they tossed Ventura for hitting Lawrie. They should have tossed Kazmir if they thought his was intentional. Not just issue a warning.

No. And his explanation was laughable. A's excuses all weekend, and would not step up when called on their crap. Lawrie got no backup because deep down they know he is a punk.

It was humid and it slipped. Have to take his word for it. I guess it's ok for Kazmir to try and take out Cain's legs. If you don't believe Herrera, do you believe that Lawrie was "trying to break up a double play"?

Slide by Lawrie was late but not as bad as some were making it out to be....hit him in the ribs as many times as you like...no problem with that at all....none of these guys want to actually fight each other anyway...its the gesture that next time it will be head is what will get him suspended

Originally posted by kaz36:

Lawrie is a punk. The slide that took Escobar out was dirty as hell. He deserved to be thrown at.
Agree on everything but he should've been plunked his first at-bat following the slide. You either send the message right away or don't send it at all. It cheapens the purpose and makes the Royals look like bitches.

Timing may not have been ideal, but it's funny how nobody Nationally had a problem until the Royals started pushing back. You can only lose so many guys to bush-league plays before you have no other choice. If the opposing teams don't like it, beat them instead of trying to intimidate them.

I agree Tim and wasn't very happy when he made it through his first AB without getting hit.

You have got to be kidding. If Lawrie hadn't been so focused on taking the SS's legs out, he could have slid straight into the bag and been safe on the play. Now THAT would have been good old-fashioned baseball.

There was nothing about this play that took any guts, balls or brains, and nothing hard-nosed about it.

There is no defending that slide by Lawrie. There was no chance at a DP and Escobar was taking the throw like a first baseman when Lawrie decided he needed to slide to the side of the bag Escobar was on and come in spikes high to his leg. There was plenty of bag for him to slide to. Any explanation is just an excuse. Plain and simple it was dirty and started a war.

Lawrie's slide on Friday was bush league. You don't go in with your spikes up like that. Herrera's throw today was out of line, but as a Royals fan I am bothered that Kazmir didn't get the hook after throwing at Cain. Only a warning was issued, and that put KC in no-man's land on how to deal with that incident. They had to retaliate. But they're the ones that were going to get penalized. Unfortunately, Herrera will probably be suspended a bit and fined I assume, too.

I prefer old school baseball, as Hudler pointed out. After the first retaliation, things were over with, and the players policed themselves. But this isn't over and I imagine we're going to have more fireworks when these two get together in June. Should be interesting.

Lawrie first at bat was in the 9th inning with the Royals up by one. You do not put the a runner on base in tnat situation.

The slide was late and his spikes were knee high, bitch slide.

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--zoEXprdR--/ibz744ehc6xo89qkhdut.gif

Link to a gif of the slide. Anyone trying to defend it as anything less than intentionally injuring Escobar is nuts. He doesn't even slide to the bag he slides right at his knee.

And athletics fans crying over the second retaliation for Cain getting hit is laughable.

The series in June is going to be interesting to say the least.

Sam Fuld is next. Flipping off fans and hurling racial insults is no way to de-escelate things. Tough guy Fuld was yelling from the bottom step from behind players.

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Royals were up by 2, nobody on and 1 out in the 9th. I'll take a statement over a win in April.
A win in April is the same as a win in September.

As of Friday nights game, there is 152 games left to get that one win back, the same can't be said in September. And that's assuming KC would've lost which isn't a guarantee.

Yea he was spotted and heard by fans doing that. I saw it in the Wild card game. I sat in Left for that game. He's a punk. He was yelling insults at Morales today.

Sam Fuld should also be hit just because he wears hipster glasses while playing baseball.

The whole retaliation factor was done on Saturday and the Royals were ready to move on.

Scott Kazmir, who's possessed dynamic control all season then "inadvertently" hits Lorenzo Cain? That's what sparked everything. Kazmir tried to act like it was an accident. That was bs. It was retaliation vs the Royals best offensive weapon.

Teams have been gunning for the Royals since the start of the season. Rios is out. Now Escobar had been taken out. They've been hit more than any team in the league. All the while, virtually every arm they possess can run it up to the upper 90s. They decided to push back.

As for hitting Lawrie in the 9th on Friday night, you don't put a guy on and get your closer tossed while trying to close out a game. Sending a message is not more valuable than wins and losses.

The ironic part about the Lawrie slide is how he may have cost his team the game. It was a tie game and nobody out. If Lawrie just goes straight to the bag without clearly redirecting his momentum towards Escobar,he is easily safe. At that point, you've got runners at 1st and 2nd with nobody out. Replays showed Lawrie may have been safe anyway. I contend, he would've been easily called safe, if he just hustles to the bag.

The people upset at Herrera seem to forget he never actually hit Lawrie. He was trying to send a message. He couldve guy him if he wanted.

Regardless, it was a very entertaining baseball game on Sunday.

I was at the game yesterday.

All of Sunday's antics is on the umpire and his crew.

All they had to do was issue both teams a warning before the first pitch.

Then Kazmir doesn't hit Cain, no one gets ejected, yada, yada, yada.

That said, the slide was pretty dirty. Escobar is lucky he wasn't more badly injured. The correct course of action was as follows.

1. Earhole that douche as soon as possible.

End of list

You don't hit them in the heade ever!! They hit him he took his shot it should have been over.

Royals were down by 1 in the top of the 8th when Herrera threw at him? Was it the first pitch?

Regardless, mad respect for Herrera.

top-gun-high-five.gif

Originally posted by HuskerTimOmaha:
Royals were down by 1 in the top of the 8th when Herrera threw at him? Was it the first pitch?

Regardless, mad respect for Herrera.

top-gun-high-five.gif
Yep, they were trailing. They had a three out rally in the bottom of the eith to win it. Morales hit a ball off of the top of the wall in center to drive in the last two runs.

And hell yes. mad respect for Herrera.....but they should have gone after him in his first at bat after the dirty slide. If that d-bag, or any other d-bag on the A's pulls any pu**y, bush league crap like that in Oakland, I hope KC goes straight to the bullpen and brings in Kelvin.

Clearly people are viewing this through the lens of whom they root for which is fine because nationally (and Dirk) the royals are getting killed for this weekend

Sorry, but you lost all credibility with "the slide not being as bad as it originally looked" comment. Lawrie the DB is not even looking at the bag. He was looking straight at.....and aiming for Escobar. Period.

I don't have any rooting interest at all. The Royals may be getting criticized for taking things too far, and I can't say I disagree. But I haven't heard any national commentators defend the gutless, chickens--- douchebag slide that started the whole thing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT