ADVERTISEMENT

Row the boat

We have had one of the worst teams in the PAC-12 on the schedule the past 2 years - and we don’t even have a non conf power 5 team on the schedule next year. Add to this the fact we play in the big ten west. I’m not sure how much easier we want things to be unless we want to move down to division 2 or start scheduling Morningside.

we have OU starting in 2021 because by year 4 everyone was sure Frost would have things rolling.
Why do you have to turn every thread into a creative writing exercise to express your hatred of our coach, it’s ridiculous. This thread is about the role of confidence in college football and how winning breeds confidence. That is what happened with Minnesota this year and like he said, Bill Snyder at KSU was another prime example.

And OU was scheduled back in 2012 long before Frost arrived.

Team plays with heart and passion, just like their coach demonstrates. As long as Fleck is there they will not be a pushover.

You mean never again? Because they certainly were his first two years. They were even a pushover against dear ole NU.

Reactions: headcard
Of course ... the on field product at UCF was a result of brilliant coaching but the on field product at Nebraska is a result of unique circumstances all conspiring against this staff resulting in back to back seasons that haven’t been seen in Lincoln for nearly 6 decades.
Just stop, already, it’s like you are arguing with yourself. You brought Frost into the thread. You are the only one that said he was in no way responsible for our performance, no one else said anything like that. You also brought UCF into the thread, making the asinine claim that anyone would have turned them around. Instead of blind rage and spewing nonsense, how about using a little common sense.

Reactions: leodisflowers
It will be interesting to see if P.J. sticks around Minnesota. It seems like a good fit for him, but he might have a chance at better jobs in the near future and he’s a pretty big self promoter.

Reactions: Huskred01
You mean never again? Because they certainly were his first two years. They were even a pushover against dear ole NU.

At the very least they made a bowl game in his second year. Not looking great for Frost to accomplish that.

Maybe we will take a huge jump in year 3. But, I would say it is doubtful as long as Chinander is in charge of the defense. We will have our hands full right off the bat next year with Brohm going up against Chins.

Row the boat is on pace to be coach of the year. Maybe everyone should have made fun of Frost when he made his empty promises instead of buying into them. We might be 9-0 right now.
Frost in his next year, should get to Minnesota's current level. I wouldn't count on it. He talks the trendy phrase of "buying in". First, second- year , and third- year coaches across the country have found a way to do it. Frost better figure the shit out fast. Because PJ acted on it. Frost has yet to prove shit except for showing a major regression in year two.

The trendy phrase of "buying in"? You know that just isn't a Scott Frost thing right? Coaches and leaders in business have been using the term for years. For decades.

I mean, you realize that right?

He'll figure it out. He's gotten humbled and he's dialed back the rhetoric. I'm sure he and Tom have had some conversations about what's gone on. I would love it if they somehow incorporated Tom as a mentor/consultant to this staff. An outside set of eyes could look at what they're doing and maybe help them evaluate themselves. It's darned tough to look at what you're doing objectively when you're in the middle of the battle. We don't need an outside outside consultant screwing with things.

Yes, certainly, because things are obviously going so smoothly and running right on course. There is only one person in America worthy of consulting on FB matters. Lets limit ourselves. Otherwise things might get "screwed up." Got it.

PJ's new contract doesn't take into effect until Dec. 13th. So there is a window of opportunity for a school like FSU to try and pry him away. Not saying it will happen or if even cares about the FSU job, just the logistics of when that contract starts.

PJ's new contract doesn't take into effect until Dec. 13th. So there is a window of opportunity for a school like FSU to try and pry him away. Not saying it will happen or if even cares about the FSU job, just the logistics of when that contract starts.
He also signed an extension at his last job right before he bolted for Minnesota.

PJ is the right kind of crazy for a modern day CFB HC. He relates to his players, he jokes around, he does some crazy hair-brained antics that make his kids laugh and unite. He's intense. He works hard. He relates the new-school to the old-school.

Good thread Headcard but I would add the word "fun" to the conversation. Our guys don't look they are having any of that. Sports are fun to play, there is joy in confidence and happiness in success.

Nebraska football looks miserable.

It will be interesting to see if P.J. sticks around Minnesota. It seems like a good fit for him, but he might have a chance at better jobs in the near future and he’s a pretty big self promoter.
He is a big self promoter for sure. Pregame on the radio here in the twin cities he was interviewed, and at the end of the interviewer the host said that Coach Fleck is sponsored by Savoy’s Pizza, a local chain, and I wondered if it’s common for coaches to have sponsors.

I’ve never heard of it before, but maybe they do now?

PJ is the right kind of crazy for a modern day CFB HC. He relates to his players, he jokes around, he does some crazy hair-brained antics that make his kids laugh and unite. He's intense. He works hard. He relates the new-school to the old-school.

Good thread Headcard but I would add the word "fun" to the conversation. Our guys don't look they are having any of that. Sports are fun to play, there is joy in confidence and happiness in success.

Nebraska football looks miserable.
Excellent point. I agree 100%. That is a huge problem for us. Frost preached and recruited on that principle and like you say, we don’t look like we are having any fun.

On that note, I also worry that Frost might be losing himself a little. Letting the pressure get to him and changing who he is. He is aggressive play caller by nature, but has gone conservative and it has cost us games. He also is very much a positive players coach, but has gone full on maniac on the sidelines several times recently. You have to be who you are, you can’t change because of criticism. He can’t be Mike Riley one minute and Bo Pelini the next.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThereIsNoPlace
At the very least they made a bowl game in his second year. Not looking great for Frost to accomplish that.

Maybe we will take a huge jump in year 3. But, I would say it is doubtful as long as Chinander is in charge of the defense. We will have our hands full right off the bat next year with Brohm going up against Chins.

...and this year was supposed to be the easy schedule on the horizon.

Reactions: jlb321
The trendy phrase of "buying in"? You know that just isn't a Scott Frost thing right? Coaches and leaders in business have been using the term for years. For decades.

I mean, you realize that right?
Kind of got that. Trendy in football for the last 5 years.

Yes, certainly, because things are obviously going so smoothly and running right on course. There is only one person in America worthy of consulting on FB matters. Lets limit ourselves. Otherwise things might get "screwed up." Got it.
Well we could always bring Bobby Devaney back. That worked out well.:oops: Frost doesn't need some NFL personnel guy to come in and micromanage his staff. He just might want a sounding board though or "second opinion" from one of the greatest college coaches of all time. Hopefully he's already taking advantage of that great resource. Frost doesn't need day to day direction from an outsider. That would be something Eichorst would have done.

In my professional life I ALWAYS valued highly the advice of colleagues on situations or cases that were troublesome. Experience is a great educator and to this day I still call colleagues for information or advice. Sometimes those colleagues are much young than me but with more experience in a given area.

When fleck started" row the boat" , thought what a load. Then heard frost "no fear of failure", thought thats our guy. See clearing which statement meant something and which was a load of bs

you can say what you want about him, but he's gotten players to believe they can get the job done.

I don't recall Fleck saying the BIG would have to deal with his offense or that the 2nd year there would be a drastic turnaround. You have to be able to back up your words if you shoot your mouth off.

Excellent point. I agree 100%. That is a huge problem for us. Frost preached and recruited on that principle and like you say, we don’t look like we are having any fun.

On that note, I also worry that Frost might be losing himself a little. Letting the pressure get to him and changing who he is. He is aggressive play caller by nature, but has gone conservative and it has cost us games. He also is very much a positive players coach, but has gone full on maniac on the sidelines several times recently. You have to be who you are, you can’t change because of criticism. He can’t be Mike Riley one minute and Bo Pelini the next.
I haven't seen maniac at all on the sidelines. However being a players coach has its downsides and one of them ironically is that certain players won't like you. I guarantee there's at least a few players who don't like Frost.

I haven't seen maniac at all on the sidelines. However being a players coach has its downsides and one of them ironically is that certain players won't like you. I guarantee there's at least a few players who don't like Frost.
Sure that’s true of any coach. But you have to be yourself, or you come off phony and insincere.

Sure that’s true of any coach. But you have to be yourself, or you come off phony and insincere.
Frost is himself. He's not Riley or Bo. Frost is pretty calm most of the time, but if he sees a problem, he's going to try to get it fixed and if he has to yell he will. I don't see that as being insincere.

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT