ADVERTISEMENT

Rose-Ivey

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a great and thoughtful kid.

If you are one of the people sending hateful messages his way YOU ARE THE PROBLEM
Yep. I haven't always liked all the players, but any fan who seeks out a player so they can personally criticize them on their social media account, etc. is the biggest of bags of douche.

I don't go there and don't participate in such an anonymous forum. I have no clue what was said but I never cease to be amazed at the human condition.

No idea what you're talking about, but I'll guess some fans ae giving him the business. What did he expect? He made a conscience decision to be disruptive, and he got the attention he was seeking. Did he ever say what he was kneeling for anyway?

Of course I don't condone anybody sending hateful messages his way about this. It's stupid and childish and doesn't help anything. But should we really be surprised? People send hateful messages to players for how they play on the field. This is something that is more important. If you are going to do something controversial that is intended to offend people, then be ready to face the inevitable backlash.

Dude said African Americans are going through the same treatment MLK and the community did when they were standing up for civil rights. irrational and insensitive to the cause they fought for.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Much respect to MRI for his strength to stand up for what he believes in. Sad to hear the pain in his voice describing some of the losers that have said some very awful things! I am guilty in that I think I might know what he or other players are going through but in all reality have no idea.

Is he free to speak his mind-- yes. However, MRI and all athletes doing this need to understand when they are using football (or whatever forum) they are doing so at their own risk. If they would do this somewhere as a normal public citizen that is totally different.

My beef with all of them is that they are doing this to "call attention" to the problems. In other words, I want someone else to fix it. They need to be the ones to work on solving the problems themselves. If that's donating money, time, etc. that's fine. You just can't expect to complain if you're not doing something yourself. That's hypocritical.

Also, MRI said he's heard the N word countless times behind the bench. I've attended 380+ games in person and don't recall hearing that word any game regardless of where I've sat. Don't we have security behind our bench and people aren't allowed there during games? I guess I'd be interested to see if others have heard that as well.

I recall talking with a former assistant coach after a road trip to Southern Mississippi several years ago. He said he was appalled at what was being said to our players. The "N" word was very much in play...surrounded by a stream of other vulgarities.

Never heard anything like that at a Husker game.

there were more protests by players from Michigan and Michigan State than Neb and I do not see locked threads on their boards and players getting derogatory messages

keep this shit up and our recruiting focus is going to quickly shift to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana and western Nebraska. Lots and lots of ammo being provided by our fanbase to other schools located in more diverse areas to question why in the world an African American recruit would go to Nebraska

MRI says people called him n-word, told him that he should be [hanged]. And don't miss that. That's not any old death threat, saying he should be hanged is a very specific call out to the practice of lynching.

When a college kid makes a peaceful gesture and the response from some people is that he deserves racial slurs and threats of lynching, that tells you everything you need to know. That right there is your example of why people feel the need to demonstrate and to provoke discussion and education on the matter.

I'm impressed with how Rose-Ivey handled himself, but I'm more impressed that the football team respects their teammates opinions in a respectful manner. Riley has also handled it with pure class. It also made think about how this scenario would play out if our former coaching staff was still here. Not trying to bring up old feelings but it made me think about it for a second. I have to imagine it would be a little different. Regardless of stance on Flag Kneeling, big props to Ivey and Riley on handling this.

Reactions: kakdawg
there were more protests by players from Michigan and Michigan State than Neb and I do not see locked threads on their boards and players getting derogatory messages

keep this shit up and our recruiting focus is going to quickly shift to the Dakotas, Wyoming, Montana and western Nebraska. Lots and lots of ammo being provided by our fanbase to other schools located in more diverse areas to question why in the world an African American recruit would go to Nebraska
Fully agree. You can't be required to believe a certain way about things, but you do need to understand that there are points of view that are a bad look in the eyes of people who don't sunburn as easily as you do. I don't expect to ever be made a moderator but believe that if I were, politics on this board would be OVER.

Been allowing these discussions since at least back in '07 and I don't see where anyone seems to have learned much or changed their mind.

Is he free to speak his mind-- yes. However, MRI and all athletes doing this need to understand when they are using football (or whatever forum) they are doing so at their own risk. If they would do this somewhere as a normal public citizen that is totally different.

My beef with all of them is that they are doing this to "call attention" to the problems. In other words, I want someone else to fix it. They need to be the ones to work on solving the problems themselves. If that's donating money, time, etc. that's fine. You just can't expect to complain if you're not doing something yourself. That's hypocritical.

How would it be different? You don't think he understands there are risks in what he's doing? He absolutely does, but it doesn't mean he can't still be shocked by what others are saying to/about him.

By him standing up for his right to free speech and talk about this is his way of trying to help. Getting the dialogue to happen is part of the hurdle so he's doing his part. I don't see him as complaining, but instead having a very mature thought out process. He spoke to his coaches and addressed the team ahead of time. He then stood in front of the public and reporters sharing his thoughts. If we only had more college kids showing this level of maturity on major social issues we might actually make progress as a country.

I watched what he said during the press conference. I think he's being mature about it and I respect what he is trying to do, even though I completely disagree with what he is doing and frankly don't think it's going to accomplish anything positive.

I think it is becoming painfully obvious that Coach Riley should not have allowed this to happen. Encourage them to find a different venue and be supportive but you are representing the University and the State of Nebraska. It was hard to watch as he has described things that he has endured in his 20 some years as well as what his parents have endured since the game. I hope it doesn't divide the team and certainly don't believe it will quietly go away.

I think Riley, MRI, team, and others involved have handled this just fine. There are plenty of lessons for everyone to take away from this. If I was his teammate my respect for him would have only increased. He approached them first and gave his viewpoint on why he's doing it.

Reactions: ThrowBones92
I think it is becoming painfully obvious that Coach Riley should not have allowed this to happen. Encourage them to find a different venue and be supportive but you are representing the University and the State of Nebraska. It was hard to watch as he has described things that he has endured in his 20 some years as well as what his parents have endured since the game. I hope it doesn't divide the team and certainly don't believe it will quietly go away.
I can see where one would want to shield them from being in the crosshairs of people's backlash about that.

Breaks my heart to hear the pain in his voice when he's talking about the things people said to him. It has to be far more painful as his coach, parent, friend, etc. to see him treated that way. But I'm a big believer that when you shield your kids from everything painful, you deprive them of the chance to learn to cope.

A very good point was raised earlier that if you tell the kids, "No, you're not allowed to do this," then that could take on a life of its own and undermine the coaches' credibility with the team.

Because even though some on the team probably don't agree with it, they will see how Riley has repeatedly gotten in front of the cameras and gone to bat for his players. I think as a coach you gain more respect by letting him and the other guys make their gesture. And I think you bring that team together when they see how their brother on the team gets attacked and that Riley doesn't join in condemning or attacking them.

Reactions: BigRedPimp
Richard Sherman and what He said:

BTW a few thug red necks making terrible comments doesn't make me one of them. That's a false argument proffered by weak minded emotional types... So do gooders, what are U specifically doing other then throw bombs at people..losers..Get off your butts and help or shut up.. BTW my right to say what I want !!

“So, today, obviously we’re playing San Fran and they’re a great opponent. They’ve got some weapons: Torrey Smith, Carlos Hyde. They’re running Chip Kelly’s offense. They do a great job. They’ve been getting yards, moving the ball, scoring points. But I’m not going to answer any questions today, and it’s no offense to you guys. But I think the state of things in the world today is very interesting. I think you have players that are trying to take a stand and trying to be aware of social issue and try to make a stand and increase people’s awareness and put a spotlight on it and they’re being ignored. Whether they’re taking a knee or whether they’re locking arms, they’re trying to bring people together and unite them for a cause. I think the last couple days, a couple more guys have gotten shot and killed in the middle of the street. And more videos have come out of guys getting killed, and I think people are still missing the point. The reason these guys are kneeling, the reason we’re locking arms is to bring people together — to make people aware that this is not right. It’s not right for people to get killed in the street.

“I do a lot of community service. I go out there and try to help kids and try to encourage them to be better and to aspire to more. And when you tell a kid, ‘When you’re dealing with police, just put your hands up and comply with everything.’ And there’s still a chance of them getting shot and no repercussions for anyone, that’s an unfortunate time to be living. It’s an unfortunate place to be in. There’s not a lot you can tell a kid. There’s not a lot you can try to inspire a person when you say, ‘We need black fathers to be in the community to stay there for your kids,’ but they’re getting killed in the street for nothing, for putting their hands on their cars. And I think that’s the unfortunate part, that’s the unfortunate place that we’re living in. And something needs to be done. And so when a guy takes a knee, you can ignore it. You can say, ‘He’s not being patriotic, he’s not honoring the flag.’ I’m doing none of those things. I’m saying — straight up — this is wrong, and we need to do something. So thank you guys, have a blessed day.”

Reactions: CameronKrazie86
I can see where one would want to shield them from being in the crosshairs of people's backlash about that.

Breaks my heart to hear the pain in his voice when he's talking about the things people said to him. It has to be far more painful as his coach, parent, friend, etc. to see him treated that way. But I'm a big believer that when you shield your kids from everything painful, you deprive them of the chance to learn to cope.

A very good point was raised earlier that if you tell the kids, "No, you're not allowed to do this," then that could take on a life of its own and undermine the coaches' credibility with the team.

Because even though some on the team probably don't agree with it, they will see how Riley has repeatedly gotten in front of the cameras and gone to bat for his players. I think as a coach you gain more respect by letting him and the other guys make their gesture. And I think you bring that team together when they see how their brother on the team gets attacked and that Riley doesn't join in condemning or attacking them.
Riley also brought in a college rape victim to address the team. Those guys are getting an education of life and social issues outside of football that most coaches would never allow to happen. No better time to learn about these topics. This team is starting to take on the identity of what a seasoned coach who is comfortable in his own skin can bring to the table.

Yep, I posted that his protest was worthless on a message board. Mission accomplished MRI!
Luckily he didn't address his stance on the topic to just PeliniTheCrutch. Thus far you have two posts in this thread. How many more will you have about a topic you appear to not care about?

Luckily he didn't address his stance on the topic to just PeliniTheCrutch. Thus far you have two posts in this thread. How many more will you have about a topic you appear to not care about?

Don't put words into my mouth. I do care about the topic. That still doesn't make his "protest" actually accomplish anything for the good of his "cause", whatever that is.

I don't believe for a second that the protesters at other schools haven't received derogatory messages. I do think it is interesting that he was allowed to get in front of everyone and say what he said, because, as evidenced by your post, a certain percentage of people would think "Nebraska is a terrible place!" However, Riley and Co. being ok with him getting up and saying what he said can also be ammo for Nebraska. We can tell everyone, including minorities, that we are supportive of you speaking up and sharing your concerns to the world, even if / when some of your concerns have to do with this very institution. We won't try to hide from it or suppress it, we will facilitate it.

Don't put words into my mouth. I do care about the topic. That still doesn't make his "protest" actually accomplish anything for the good of his "cause", whatever that is.
So I'm clear, you can tell others not to put words into your mouth, but you are the best judge of telling all on here how effective MRI's "protest" will be?

Pot meet kettle

Not saying I agree or disagree with MRI but it looks Husker fans are taking the backlash of his comments and actions. Hope this doesn't divide the team.

Last edited:
I just want to know what he's doing on his own time to help educate youth about how to change their situation. The people just starting the kneeling now aren't leaders anymore...they are followers. If they are actually DOING something, then I commend those people.
So you admit you do not know what MRI does on his own time about this topic? Is he obligated/required to tell you so that you will feel better about what he's doing?

That right there is your example of why people feel the need to demonstrate and to provoke discussion and education on the matter.

A white elderly person was lit on fire, by a group of black males, should our "white players" protest about this? She's now dead. A white guy was just shot & killed last week in Louisville, Nebraska, by a white police officer, should our "white players" protest that?

Why aren't we talking more about the black protester that shot another black protester? Instead, all I hear & read about is "a cop shot an unarmed black male" although there was a gun found with the deceased fingerprints & DNA on it.

Or, should black people also protest the injustice of the two people mentioned above?

I have no idea where you get this take on things. He has said nothing about getting any criticism from players. So how is this going to divide the team? I think it's painfully obvious that not allowing this to happen would have divided the team more. If he was passionate about this but was not being allowed to do something about it, that has much more potential to cause trouble. It would have caused him to have negative feelings about Coach Riley and probably the program as a whole. That's what you want? You think that's good? I think Coach Riley has handled it brilliantly-let them have their say without really taking a position on this one way or the other.
I do not agree at all with what he is doing, and I really wish he wouldn't have done it. But if he really feels that passionately about it, then I think just putting the kibosh on it had potential to cause more trouble.

A white elderly person was lit on fire, by a group of black males, should our "white players" protest about this? She's now dead. A white guy was just shot & killed last week in Louisville, Nebraska, by a white police officer, should our "white players" protest that?

Why aren't we talking more about the black protester that shot another black protester? Instead, all I hear & read about is "a cop shot an unarmed black male" although there was a gun found with the deceased fingerprints & DNA on it.

Or, should black people also protest the injustice of the two people mentioned above?
That must be hard for you.

Reactions: Red Steve
A white elderly person was lit on fire, by a group of black males, should our "white players" protest about this? She's now dead. A white guy was just shot & killed last week in Louisville, Nebraska, by a white police officer, should white people protest that?

Why aren't we talking more about the black protester that shot another black protester? Instead, all I hear & read about is "a cop shot an unarmed black male" although there was a gun found with the deceased fingerprints & DNA.

I totally agree... Victimhood is a powerful vote getter... Far as I can tell everyone is now a victim... I'd point anyone to Harvard Study on Police shootings... Stats don't lie... The whole thing is a fabrication... Look up the study... Not the media's interpretation of the study.. the actual study,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT