ADVERTISEMENT

Rooting against Frost

Comparing NU to Ohio State is apples and oranges but I'm using it to illustrate one of the glaring differences in the teams (talent notwithstanding), but moreso, just in the area of physical and mental toughness.

OSU took on a real good Notre Dame team that was well prepared and came to play. For most of the game, ND was shutting OSU down and making them earn everything. Instead of OSU giving in like NU tends to do, they continued to fight and scratch. Now NU has a "counter-puncher" type reactive defense that fails to find any way to apply pressure to the other offense.

OSU relied on their defense to keep the game close until the time came when they could put a drive or two together and take the lead. That's what great teams, committed teams do, what well coached and well disciplined teams do. They may fail to win, but they refuse to lose.

It's likely OSU had a decent "edge in talent" over ND. Just like NU had an edge in talent yesterday, but a much larger edge in talent. NU was in desperation mode and OSU was in the mode of believing they would make the necessary changes to ultimately beat a pretty damn good ND team that kept playing hard.

Until NU begins to reverse their soft attitudes and inability to overcome adversity, it will be same ole same ole.

Frost has never managed to get NU to the point of sustaining any momentum. Either the defense came to play last year and the offense stumbled around. Or the offense this year plays decent football and the defense is a sieve. NU never seems to put it all together.

NU has in Palmer, one of the most dangerous punt returners around, yet, all the punts are fair caught by Oliver and eliminate even the chance that a game breaker might just break the game open. Remember Frost's motto? No fear of failure? Where's that at?

Even when they were playing MSU, Mich and others off their feet last year, the ability to put someone away (other than Fordham, Buffalo and North Dakota) has completely been out of the question.

That type of bulldog mental and physical toughness will never show itself under a Scott Frost team. It's about finesse and trickery and little to do with physicality or being able to dig down and sustain a mental toughness against teams.

That declared marriage of "Oregon's speed along with Nebraska's power" was nothing more than blowing smoke up everyone's ass.

At this point, I would take either Oregon's speed OR Nebraska's power. At present, NU has neither.
K

I never root for Nebraska to lose and hope they turn things this season but time is running out for Frost. My biggest disappointment with Frost, he has had four years to turn this program and all he has to show for it is close losses. I really expected a win against Northwestern and after the loss I questioned whether Nebraska can win six games.

I'm a die hard fan who has been following Nebraska since the Devaney years and bottom line you build a program with a solid HC who builds a solid staff. I think Nebraska has a good staff but not solid. I don't know how this thing will shake out this year but I kind of expect changes coming again.

let's just hope Alberts and the administration gets it right because time is running out for Nebraska and with the expansion of the BIG Nebraska cannot fall further behind. Money should never be a road block for getting Nebraska back to where it should and can be.

You can spend all the money you want on football facility improvements but if you don't spend the money on coaching improvements those improvements are moot. You think boosters are upset with the product on the field right now? Just wait until they foot this $155 million bill and nothing changes on the field. jmo

Last edited:
I never root for Nebraska to lose and hope they turn things this season but time is running out for Frost. My biggest disappointment with Frost, he has had four years to turn this program and all he has to show for it is close losses. I really expected a win against Northwestern and after the loss I questioned whether Nebraska can win six games.

I'm a die hard fan who has been following Nebraska since the Devaney years and bottom line you build a program with a solid HC who builds a solid staff. I think Nebraska has a good staff but not solid. I don't know how this thing will shake out this year but I kind of expect changes coming again.

let's just hope Alberts and the administration gets it right because time is running out for Nebraska and with the expansion of the BIG Nebraska cannot fall further behind. Money should never be a road block to getting Nebraska back to where it should and can be.

You can spend all the money you want on football facility improvements but if you don't spend the money on coaching improvements those improvements are moot. You think boosters are upset with the product on the field right now? Just wait until they foot this $155 million bill and nothing changes on the field. jmo
Good post. I have little hope Frost will succeed this year even if I continue, against all the evidence, to hope for a good season. I think the OU game will expose our defense in particular as a complete flop. This might end up being one of those historically bad NU defenses. I see a pattern emerging with regard to Callahan, Riley, Frost: their final year was/is marked by horrifically awful defense. And I think the reason for that is a lack of intensity and physicality in general across the board. My fear is that we are going to win only two games this year… and maybe only one. We might just lose this Saturday.

That is why beating Oklahoma, Michigan and 3 teams that he is 1-12 that are scheduled in November are pretty important wins he needs to prove to remain our head coach..
If this team were to catch fire somehow and even pull an upset or two, I would like to say that I would be fine if Frost stayed on. But that is a tall task for a team that had a middle tier Missouri Valley team play toe to toe with them into late in the fourth quarter.

First time ever I found myself rooting for the other team once we were locked in a pathetic draw with FCS team at half. I don't feel like less of a fan for feeling this way sadly. Frost has not only earned it, but given much runway to earn it.
Same. As I've stated here already, I was at the game Saturday and had every intention of staying for all of it. But what I witnessed in the 1st and 2nd quarters was absolutely disgusting. Granted, I didn't make it to see NSDU score the touchdown right before half, as we had left after that farty missed field goal. That was it for me.

I mean, taking Frost's tenure here under consideration, I had just had enough. We felt we would be doing ourselves a disservice by staying there to support that shitshow. I stayed for plenty of games last year, only to be let down. I often wonder if they actually are practicing.

Once we had made it home, we turned on the TV and watched a Nebraska punt returner make a bad middle school football play. Forget who it was, but he had decided not to field the kick, and to let the ball bounce. Yet, despite being 20ish yards away and deciding not to field the ball about 2-3 seconds earlier - HE SPRINTED DIRECTLY AT THE BALL. The ball almost hit him, and NDSU came inches from having yet another Nebraska turnover.

The constant blooper reel the past 5 years is just too much for me sometimes...🤪

Reactions: BleedRed78
After watching the LSU/FSU game last night I came to the conclusion that Nebraska looks to be walking in cement on the OL/DL. Our beloved Nebraska big boys up front are just a slow plodding bunch up front who just don't fire off the ball. I don't know if our coaches are trying to build big hulking boys able to hold up against other big boys in the BIG but they seemed to have sacrificed size for speed.

It's no wonder we have a hard time blocking on offense and attacking on defense. Now I wonder if the system in place by our coaches has put so much information into the players heads that they play tentatively instead of freely. I may well be totally wrong about this and if so I'll man up to it but our team, and it is our team plays like they're carrying 100 pounds of weight on their backs at times.

I do miss the days when Nebraska had speed on both side of the lines and we pressured other teams instead of being pressured. Something went very wrong along the way and we need to get back to speed and attacking and we need to do it soon. Do your self a favor if you disagree watch some clips from the LSU/FSU game last night pay attention to the line play and then watch some of the Nebraska/ North Dakota game it's very discouraging. Speed kills in a good way in football. jmo

I have been as critical of Frost as anyone on this board. And I am on record as one who thought he should have been fired last year. But during yesterday's game at half-time I started getting text messages from many of my Husker friends back home in Lincoln saying that they hoped North Dakota would win so that there will be no doubt left that Frost has to go. I do not believe for one second that this is the view of most Husker fans. Nevertheless, my gut says that when friends of mine who are rabid fans, and who have been so for decades, start spouting such nonsense that it is probably a view shared by many.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be better for Husker football than for Frost to turn this around this year and end up winning 8 or more games. Nothing would be better than for him to be successful and to retain his job. We all know that the coaching carousel is never a good thing. And as much as I think Frost is a lousy coach, and as much as I think that he probably will not turn it around this year, I for one will be cheering for him and this team to win every damn game that they play.

I am therefore willing to admit that I was wrong to call for his firing after the NW loss. He was retained by Trev as our head coach for this season and for better or for worse our season will ride on his success or lack thereof. Let's all just take a deep breath, myself most of all, and just sit back and cheer this team on.
Sometimes you can tell a guy just doesn't have it what it takes for a role. Like Luke McCaffrey as a QB. That was a no-brainer after seeing him throw. He couldn't accept it for a while, transferred around and is now a receiver.
Frost just doesn't have what it takes to be a winning head coach at NU. Expecting him to turn it around in year five with so much obviously wrong across so many aspects of the program, is rather pointless. I honestly don't want a miracle win over OU because that would just prolong the inevitable and lead people to get a false sense of hope.
He might benefit from a change of scenery as much as NU would benefit from his departure. That will never take away from all that he gave to Nebraska as a player. It is just an admission that it isn't working as the HC. I think his wife wants to go back to Florida and maybe that would be the right place for his family while he gets it figured out.

At least Rhule is on that list. The rest would piss Husker Nation off and are still rolling the dice with development projects.
Stoops would be an absolute glass shattering slam dunk IMO

his kentucky teams are very fun to watch & play hard as hell

I think they’ll beat Florida in the swamp on Saturday as 4 point underdogs

Stoops would be an absolute glass shattering slam dunk IMO

his kentucky teams are very fun to watch & play hard as hell

I think they’ll beat Florida in the swamp on Saturday as 4 point underdogs
I think Rhule is a long shot. And if Stoops beats Florida that means he has a good thing going at Kentucky. Would he leave there to come to a struggling Nebraska program? Anyone's guess at this point.

Reactions: king_kong_
I think Rhule is a long shot. And if Stoops beats Florida that means he has a good thing going at Kentucky. Would he leave there to come to a struggling Nebraska program? Anyone's guess at this point.
Have a hard time imagining we would be willing to pay the buyout of another power 5 coach

based on the last 2 years it is clear we are going to prioritize frugality over winning

Stoops has a good thing going at UK regardless of outcome this week

he’s taken them from also ran to New Years Day in the most competitive environment that has ever existed in the history of college football

After watching the LSU/FSU game last night I came to the conclusion that Nebraska looks to be walking in cement on the OL/DL. Our beloved Nebraska big boys up front are just a slow plodding bunch up front who just don't fire off the ball. I don't know if our coaches are trying to build big hulking boys able to hold up against other big boys in the BIG but they seemed to have sacrificed size for speed.

It's no wonder we have a hard time blocking on offense and attacking on defense. Now I wonder if the system in place by our coaches has put so much information into the players heads that they play tentatively instead of freely. I may well be totally wrong about this and if so I'll man up to it but our team, and it is our team plays like they're carrying 100 pounds of weight on their backs at times.

I do miss the days when Nebraska had speed on both side of the lines and we pressured other teams instead of being pressured. Something went very wrong along the way and we need to get back to speed and attacking and we need to do it soon. Do your self a favor if you disagree watch some clips from the LSU/FSU game last night pay attention to the line play and then watch some of the Nebraska/ North Dakota game it's very discouraging. Speed kills in a good way in football. jmo
They're slow and weak, just as they have been throughout Frost's tenure. They're obviously doing something very wrong throughout the year in how they prepare or practice, as I don't see most teams have the same issues as we do. My guess would be Frost focuses too much on quantity of reps, even if it's half speed or quarter speed vs quality of reps, especially closer to full speed. The emphasis should be on quality, actually learning to play with focus and intensity on every rep instead of going through the motions just to make it look like you're doing something. I'm going to take a wild guess that Frost practices look much more like the latter than the former.

Reactions: BleedRed78
True, but that was before he and his brothers became coaching successes. I would love it we could entice Bob or Mark Stoops to come here. But we are going to have to open up that check book. And we are going to have to make one hell of a sales pitch.
the checkbook and the pitch should be as easy to convey as his path to the B1G title game/playoffs would be every year he doesn't have to go through Georgia

guy turned our little gadget player into an All-American 2nd round pick who led the SEC in receiving

Last edited:
the checkbook and the pitch should be as easy to convey as his path to the B1G title game/playoffs would be every year he doesn't have to go through Georgia

guy turned our little gadget player into an All-American 2nd round pick who led the SEC in receiving
Wouldn't be fun having Palmer on one side of the formation and WanDale on the other, right? Maybe NU would just let Grant and AJ run the pig.

Even if NU had a C+ offensive line they could win a lot of high scoring shootouts.

I get the question about how to root - for or against Frost. On the flip side, there are facts and data that pretty much tell us everything we need to know.

I have been a huge fan since my teen years, even got into many a fight (yes, real ones) over Husker FB. It has been a passion for years and I spent some time in the HS ranks around FB so I love the sport as well.

My difficulty over the past 4+ years is trying to find that silver lining. I find a few. More players making the B1G teams and getting drafted, that's a positive. After that, I'm not sure where to look for improvement. It's not in the wins and losses with the losses getting closer in the score, I will give you that but a loss is still a loss no matter how you want to spin it.

As I read post after post there are all of these ideas to win games, get meaner, attitude, gotta want it more than the other guy, buy in, off season, yadda yadda yadda. We have to come up with trick plays and special gadgets to beat teams? That isn't Nebraska. The final dagger is there are more and more "ifs" in statements, if we do this and if we do that we might have a chance to win. Anyone planning on ifs is usually in trouble and we are.

Other glaring facts such as our ridiculous special teams for the last 4 years and knowing that this was never addressed, what does that tell you? Would a winning company allow something like that to happen? We simply do not look athletic on the field. We don't look quick, fast or strong and technique is clearly lacking across the board. The one question I have is what is going on in our S&C area? It does not seem to be paying dividends like it should be. There is more.

Human nature wants to be associated with a winner, this program was THE WINNER for many years and it helps us identify with something much bigger and better than we are in our little worlds every day. Now it isn't but we want it to be so we are torn inside because we know what it was and our heart still wants it that way, minus the fullback of course (another story) but then glimpses of reality for those who are even remotely realistic set in and you are left empty handed and empty hearted not knowing what to do. Bottom line for me is that Frost has shown me zero ability to turn this thing around on the whole, zero. I root for the kids but question the head man, he is deserving of that.

TBF, rooting for or against is meaningless. Frost is Frost, ain’t nothing going to change that and he doesn’t need any help figuring out creative ways to lose.

I have been as critical of Frost as anyone on this board. And I am on record as one who thought he should have been fired last year. But during yesterday's game at half-time I started getting text messages from many of my Husker friends back home in Lincoln saying that they hoped North Dakota would win so that there will be no doubt left that Frost has to go. I do not believe for one second that this is the view of most Husker fans. Nevertheless, my gut says that when friends of mine who are rabid fans, and who have been so for decades, start spouting such nonsense that it is probably a view shared by many.

Nothing, and I mean nothing, would be better for Husker football than for Frost to turn this around this year and end up winning 8 or more games. Nothing would be better than for him to be successful and to retain his job. We all know that the coaching carousel is never a good thing. And as much as I think Frost is a lousy coach, and as much as I think that he probably will not turn it around this year, I for one will be cheering for him and this team to win every damn game that they play.

I am therefore willing to admit that I was wrong to call for his firing after the NW loss. He was retained by Trev as our head coach for this season and for better or for worse our season will ride on his success or lack thereof. Let's all just take a deep breath, myself most of all, and just sit back and cheer this team on.
I know the rest of the B1G is rooting for him to keep his job.

Just like the B1G is rooting for Bryan to keep the offensive coordinator job..

He’d be a prime candidate taking over for the Captain..

Why don’t you go to the jerky Herky board.

As Ioweigien your opinion means crap over here.
Not going anywhere.

Hope to see Scotty turn things around but I just can't convince myself it's going to happen. Gonna be watching a lot of Houston this year just to feel what it's like to root for a 10 win team. Hopefully we can get Holg out here if Frost can't get the job done.

They're slow and weak, just as they have been throughout Frost's tenure. They're obviously doing something very wrong throughout the year in how they prepare or practice, as I don't see most teams have the same issues as we do. My guess would be Frost focuses too much on quantity of reps, even if it's half speed or quarter speed vs quality of reps, especially closer to full speed. The emphasis should be on quality, actually learning to play with focus and intensity on every rep instead of going through the motions just to make it look like you're doing something. I'm going to take a wild guess that Frost practices look much more like the latter than the former.

I very highly doubt that Frost doesn't know how to effectively practice, given who he played for, who he coached with, and the successes of some of the teams he's been associated with. Our problems have been more between the ears than anywhere else and I do think that Frost underestimated what kind of staff is needed to win in a power 5 conf.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I very highly doubt that Frost doesn't know how to effectively practice, given who he played for, who he coached with, and the successes of some of the teams he's been associated with. Our problems have been more between the ears than anywhere else and I do think that Frost underestimated what kind of staff is needed to win in a power 5 conf.
It’s year 5, he’s just easing into the mental aspects of coaching I suppose.

Reactions: oldjar07
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT