ADVERTISEMENT

Ronnie Green

After no bowl game and no spring practice, probably best shot for NU to do any damage. I imagine all the NFL prospects at the other big schools will sit out a Jan start.

Also sounds like the perfect time to catch the corona when it's 20 degrees outside.

Football in January in places up north? Too stupid to even contemplate. Every game played in frigid conditions? Yeah, that will slow down Covid

It's absolutely ridiculous - they're going to have glorified exhibition games competing head to head with NFL Wild Card and Divisional Playoff games! The ratings are going to be really bad for those games - except for the Egg Bowl, college football has already surrendered Thanksgiving to the NFL because they just couldn't compete with them head to head - I'll be blunt - if a meaningless NU January game airs against an NFL playoff game, I'll be watching the NFL.

I don’t see the logic/benefit of January versus fall but like Moos said the milk has been spilled, the bed has been soiled
Nebraska fans will potentially have a choice/chance to support their team. I’ll believe it when/if the time comes
I wouldn’t trust Warren to schedule a game of solitaire he’d probably f that up, wouldn’t even show up for it

Promising a winter season is like a tax accountant telling a 10 year old that they are too busy to take them to the county fair in August but if they will be good and stay in their room for the next 3 months they will take them to Disney World during the middle of tax season.

what will have changed, other than possibly the president? This is the Stupidest shit ever.
I'm hoping the B1G has a secret deal with Moderna or J$J to get 1000 doses of the first serial of vaccine released in December. That should just about cover 2 does for every athlete in the B1G.

Winter/spring football will obviously be a joke. Just a chance to maybe work on overall team depth. Whatever they decide just please make it short enough so we can enjoy the 2021 fall season in it's ENTIRETY! It still amazes me Warren would just pull the plug in mid August. :mad:

Reactions: dinglefritz
I'm very doubtful that a Winter/Spring season actually will happen. It's just a carrot held out there to placate and distract the critics. In the end there will be some rationale given as to why it can't happen.
I think it is possible that there will be some type of abbreviated season probably lasting no more than 8 weeks. Hell we do spring football. We can do a spring season but starting in January just seems nuts. Start it in February and there's a chance we can have fans in the stands. February in most B1G stadiums would be doable. January? Forget about it. We'll see. IF it would generate say 30-40 million in TV revenue for the schools that would be HUGE for athletic departments. I'm not sure what kind of viewership you would get with basketball likely going on. Young people take huge risks every single time they step on a practice field. IMO cancelling a season based on something that is no worse than the flu for this age of athlete was just ludicrous.

Reactions: little a
I think it is possible that there will be some type of abbreviated season probably lasting no more than 8 weeks. Hell we do spring football. We can do a spring season but starting in January just seems nuts. Start it in February and there's a chance we can have fans in the stands. February in most B1G stadiums would be doable. January? Forget about it. We'll see. IF it would generate say 30-40 million in TV revenue for the schools that would be HUGE for athletic departments. I'm not sure what kind of viewership you would get with basketball likely going on. Young people take huge risks every single time they step on a practice field. IMO cancelling a season based on something that is no worse than the flu for this age of athlete was just ludicrous.
Something really short after the Superbowl might be best. I guess you're either competing with NFL playoffs or March Madness. It would be cool to see 2nd and 3rd string guys get a lot of playing time in. Give the kids a chance to compete while bringing in some $$$. Gotta protect that fall season from being tinkered with so it would need to be short to allow for healthy recovery. This all sucks! :(

I don't think that means what he thinks it means. You could still very well have very high infection rates when exposed to COVID, but the people who have T-cell cross reactivity might be completely asymptomatic OR only develop very mild illness. That is similar to what we see with a mediocre match for flu vaccine. THAT DOES probably explain some of the mass testing results we've seen. For instance there was a poultry packing plant in Arkansas where they mass tested workers and found over 400 positive workers and nobody were or had been clinically ill. In the worst German cities for COVID, they showed antibodies to COVID in roughly 70% of the population. The number of people who got clinically ill from the virus was a relatively small fraction of that number.

It IS looking very likely that achieving a population immunity level to COVID is going to be closer to a 20% infection rate suggested by a researcher at Oxford Universtiy than the 70% that has been discussed for months. FWIW, population immunity doesn't mean that cases would stop completely.

Reactions: BroskiRed
I’m sorry but if we are the only conference playing football in January, we are going to be laughed at. Even more so than we already are now. Can’t believe what a joke this conference has turned into.

it’s going be funniest in October when this has passed (I’m sorry I’m an optimist and here in Texas I believe we’ve gone thru the worst) and we’re at home on are asses while Texas is playing OU with monster ratings and exposure.

preach!!

I don't think that means what he thinks it means. You could still very well have very high infection rates when exposed to COVID, but the people who have T-cell cross reactivity might be completely asymptomatic OR only develop very mild illness. That is similar to what we see with a mediocre match for flu vaccine. THAT DOES probably explain some of the mass testing results we've seen. For instance there was a poultry packing plant in Arkansas where they mass tested workers and found over 400 positive workers and nobody were or had been clinically ill. In the worst German cities for COVID, they showed antibodies to COVID in roughly 70% of the population. The number of people who got clinically ill from the virus was a relatively small fraction of that number.

It IS looking very likely that achieving a population immunity level to COVID is going to be closer to a 20% infection rate suggested by a researcher at Oxford Universtiy than the 70% that has been discussed for months. FWIW, population immunity doesn't mean that cases would stop completely.

My anecdotal story. I was at a family birthday party 4 weeks ago (NO MASKS) on Saturday. 4 people over 60, 4 people 40-50, 3 people 26-39. 5 people 25 or less. The following Monday, my sister-in-law had severe stomach issues went to emergency center and tested positive for the COVID (she had to be put on IV and pain medication). All other people getting tested after her positive result (7 including her husband and 2 children) came back negative and no symptoms from the rest who may or may not have been tested. 1 out of 16 in fairly compact quarters.

My anecdotal story. I was at a family birthday party 4 weeks ago (NO MASKS) on Saturday. 4 people over 60, 4 people 40-50, 3 people 26-39. 5 people 25 or less. The following Monday, my sister-in-law had severe stomach issues went to emergency center and tested positive for the COVID (she had to be put on IV and pain medication). All other people getting tested after her positive result (7 including her husband and 2 children) came back negative and no symptoms from the rest who may or may not have been tested. 1 out of 16 in fairly compact quarters.
She may not have been shedding virus on Saturday. It's kind of how it has been working. Lucky for the people at the party.

She may not have been shedding virus on Saturday. It's kind of how it has been working. Lucky for the people at the party.

Forgot to add:

I ain't afraid of no ghost.

tenor.gif

Last edited:

Calling it now. Coldest winter in years with the most snow.

This is the mos contagious virus ever.

Football in January in places up north? Too stupid to even contemplate. Every game played in frigid conditions? Yeah, that will slow down Covid

It's worse than that. They want to play 3 games a day in the same indoor stadium. 6 teams using the same indoor facility. What could possibly go wrong with that

Playing outdoors in the freezing snow would be way safer

Calling it now. Coldest winter in years with the most snow.
I actually just heard a long range forecast for the upper midwest a couple of days ago that predicted colder than average temperatures but less precip this winter......

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT