ADVERTISEMENT

Ronald Thompkins

RedCap

Nebraska Legend
Sep 29, 2001
No one seems to have a clue as to what his status is. Anybody know if he is going to be fully ready to participate in Fall Camp or not? Is he active in the current workouts? It's been like years already since his last injury in high school so I'd say it's pretty much now or never for his career.

Last edited:
I don't have any info, but I think he's one of the more intriguing players on the team. His pre-injury speed was ridiculous and he had one of the most impressive highlight films in his recruiting class.

one thing that stood out for me was his head coach claiming he was his best player on the team his senior year and they had at least 1 or 2 5 star players. That’s saying something. And it’s been said, if he had not gotten injured, he’d definitely had a shot to be a Top 250 player, if not a Top 100 player.

If Willis McGahee can come back from his serious knee injury vs OSU and still do good in the NFL, then Thompkins at least has a shot of coming back.

Last edited:
I don't have any info, but I think he's one of the more intriguing players on the team. His pre-injury speed was ridiculous and he had one of the most impressive highlight films in his recruiting class.

Was my favorite RB from the class. Remember that class had two 4 star guys in Rahmir and Mills. So naturally gifted. If he's ever healthy again look out. Dude was a baller.

Holla

No one seems to have a clue as to what his status is. Anybody know if he is going to be fully ready to participate in Fall Camp or not? Is he active in the current workouts? It's been like years already since his last injury in high school so I'd say it's pretty much now or never for his career.

Thanks for posting, I was about to do the same exact post.

I think everyone is in agreement that Thompkins WAS a great running back talent.

The unanswered question though is IF he will ever recover from the injury. Sadly we've seen a number of players who have never been themselves again after a devastating injury. Although the name escapes me at the moment, I always remember that talented young Nebraska tight end who saw a very promising career disappear after injury. Hence my interest in how Thompkins is doing by now.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think the absence of ANY news from anybody is not a favorable development. Usually if there's something good it gets leaked (sometimes intentionally).

I think everyone is in agreement that Thompkins WAS a great running back talent.

The unanswered question though is IF he will ever recover from the injury. Sadly we've seen a number of players who have never been themselves again after a devastating injury. Although the name escapes me at the moment, I always remember that talented young Nebraska tight end who saw a very promising career disappear after injury. Hence my interest in how Thompkins is doing by now.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think the absence of ANY news from anybody is not a favorable development. Usually if there's something good it gets leaked (sometimes intentionally).
I’m guessing you are referencing Matt Herian. Never the same after the injury.

I vaguely recall them saying he was gonna be practicing in spring but would be brought along slowly.
My memory may not be accurate, but thought that was the latest.

He's a redshirt freshman. There's no reason we should have heard anything about him, particularly with spring camp being cut short.

I won't make any predictions but I really do think he was the gem of that class. Probably the closest thing we've had to a Lawrence Phillips.

He's a redshirt freshman. There's no reason we should have heard anything about him, particularly with spring camp being cut short.

I won't make any predictions but I really do think he was the gem of that class. Probably the closest thing we've had to a Lawrence Phillips.
Hope you're right of course but I definitely think we would have heard things thru the grapevine if it was very favorable.

Matt Herian is the TE and u are right. He was a future NFL guy before the injury.

FWIW the walk on RB Bivens from Ohio is/was in a similar boat. Go back and watch some film from him. That guy was incredible.

Holla

I

I won't lie watching his HS film LP was my comparison as well. You could see the speed, shiftiness, and power in his short clips. I hope they take their time with him. He's worth he wait iyam.

Holla

I just watched his film and I feel like it is the first time I have ever seen it. Last time I saw his film, I thought he ran like a hedgehog and I wasn’t that impressed but I must have been watching film on the wrong guy. He’s like LP mixed with a little bit of Mo, Roger Craig, Cody Glenn, Sevion Morrison, Jay Sims & Ade Daganduro. That would be amazing if he or Bivens or both got healthy and could play someday.

Last edited:
Reactions: kakdawg
I have no inside info but at this point he’s in a similar position as Tre Bryant was. I hope he doesn’t have to retire early like Tre did, but I think it’s very much up in the air at this point and he may be considered a bit of a long shot to get back to 100%. He may Even be sitting out one more year before he gets out there in live competition.

I
I have no inside info but at this point he’s in a similar position as Tre Bryant was. I hope he doesn’t have to retire early like Tre did, but I think it’s very much up in the air at this point and he may be considered a bit of a long shot to get back to 100%. He may Even be sitting out one more year before he gets out there in live competition.
I'm obviously no doctor but I'd be shocked if he ever made it back IF he has to sit out yet another year to recover. This seems like the make it or break it year to me. Hope I'm wrong of course.

Some players make it back after being injury plagued and others don’t. Long lists on both sides of that coin.

I’m not expecting anything from Thompkins. so anything we get out of him is pure bonus. And I like bonus.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
I

I won't lie watching his HS film LP was my comparison as well. You could see the speed, shiftiness, and power in his short clips. I hope they take their time with him. He's worth he wait iyam.

Holla

To me its the way that he cuts in traffic thats so reminiscent of LP.

Watch that and compare it to LPs 2nd quarter touchdown in the Fiesta bowl.

43:30 in

Wow, that was his jr. Year? Wow, there were 2 other Rivals Top 100 players on that team and his HS coach said Thompkins was definitely the best player on the team.

I’m guessing you are referencing Matt Herian. Never the same after the injury.
At least Matt got on the field at Lincoln. He did not come out of high school with injuries. Seems like recruiting players injured in high school doesn't work out for Nebraska. The St Louis running back with so much potential who actually played a few games and then had to medically retired when Frost first got here.

At least Matt got on the field at Lincoln. He did not come out of high school with injuries. Seems like recruiting players injured in high school doesn't work out for Nebraska. The St Louis running back with so much potential who actually played a few games and then had to medically retired when Frost first got here.
I hear what you’re saying and you’re right... but unfortunately we aren’t the same team that could get just about anybody here. I wish we didn’t have to roll the dice either, but in this case, we’ll be glad we did if Thompkins pans out.

Wow, that was his jr. Year? Wow, there were 2 other Rivals Top 100 players on that team and his HS coach said Thompkins was definitely the best player on the team.
Yeah, but I think he played a couple of games as a senior so there may be some of that included.
I'm rarely impressed by HS footage because you just don't know how good the competition is, but his video really stands out to me. He just has that glide that few backs have. He has so much power in his cuts like LP did which makes it so hard to tackle him. I really hope he gets back to 100% healthy.

Matt Herian is the TE and u are right. He was a future NFL guy before the injury.

FWIW the walk on RB Bivens from Ohio is/was in a similar boat. Go back and watch some film from him. That guy was incredible.

Holla

Also the kid from Katy, a few years back. A lot of SEC teams were knocking on the door before his injury in High School.

Was it an ACL in each knee for Thompkins?

Bryant was totally different, he basically has the knees of an old man and gets horrible swelling and arthritis IIRC.

With RT the question is after being out and rehabbing that long can he ever go back to being a "natural" runner? The body can heal totally, the mind has to believe it and the muscle memory has to allow for full out running and cutting.

Reactions: kakdawg
it will be interesting to see who backs up Mills.. my money is on Marvin Scott III. John Bivens has a big ceiling if he can get healthy.

I thought Scott was the most college ready RB I've seen in awhile.

He had already committed before his last injury. Would have been a bad look to tell a kid from one of the best HS programs in America to take a hike, because he got hurt.

I

Holla

I actually think he plays a lot like Marlon Mack from USF/Indianapolis Colts. They are about the same height and weight. Their speed and quickness seems comparable. They both bring that same physical, power approach you'd like in a downhill back. They both have very similar cut and jukes.

I'm hoping he eventually is healthy. We can use his style. I'm really hoping he doesn't have the same poor luck that Adam Taylor had for us.

Ronald Thompkins High School highlights

Marlon Mack College and NFL highlights!

Jump to the 32 second mark of his Colts tape and you can see the wiggle/juke comparison!

Also the kid from Katy, a few years back. A lot of SEC teams were knocking on the door before his injury in High School.

Yeah everyone loved that kid. I wasnt as high on him as most but before his injury he was really wanted by a lot of people.

Holla

Reactions: bigredhunter
He had already committed before his last injury. Would have been a bad look to tell a kid from one of the best HS programs in America to take a hike, because he got hurt.
Frost has been pretty consistent about honoring offers after a kid commits and later gets injured. It is the right thing to do. I'm not optimistic about him every playing though at this point. He's been off a long time.

They wouldve never backed off because of injury after he committed to them.

Previous staff did the same thing with the Darlington kid (QB) from Florida a few years back.

If kid had got in some trouble off the field or with the law that would be one thing. But an injury on the field? They rightfully stick with that kid for at least 4 years.

Luckilly that kid committed early and got himself a spot. I remember watching the game he got injured in on television oddly i watched the Darlington game on tv when he got injured as well. It was like de ja vu.

Holla

They wouldve never backed off because of injury after he committed to them.

Previous staff did the same thing with the Darlington kid (QB) from Florida a few years back.

If kid had got in some trouble off the field or with the law that would be one thing. But an injury on the field? They rightfully stick with that kid for at least 4 years.

Luckilly that kid committed early and got himself a spot. I remember watching the game he got injured in on television oddly i watched the Darlington game on tv when he got injured as well. It was like de ja vu.

Holla

I was watching the Darlington game too, that was a scary injury. Pretty sure he was committed to Pelini, I was excited about him running that offense, before the injury. I didn’t see the Thompkins injury, but heard it was pretty bad.

I was watching the Darlington game too, that was a scary injury. Pretty sure he was committed to Pelini, I was excited about him running that offense, before the injury. I didn’t see the Thompkins injury, but heard it was pretty bad.

Yup it was BP and that was super scary. Thompkins not as scary but more sad to see him go down.

Holla

R Thompkins definitely had some talented teammates and being considered the best out of all of them, with players like Pappoe Owen and the rest of the guys I’ll post below, I’d say Thompkins was worth the risk. I won’t count the man out.

and I wouldn’t be worried about the level of competition they played against, it was most definitely top notch.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT