ADVERTISEMENT

Ronald Thompkins is the #2 RB

That is exciting that he jumped Johnson on the depth chart even after a knee injury. Rhamir I think has potential. I think he lacked improvisational skills when the hole wasn’t where it was designed to be, which I think he can grow that part of his game and learn. But last season he was more of a straight line runner. Excited to see Thompkins.
Rhamir was adjusting to the speed of the game and needs to add some muscle. He's a good back but needed some development physically and mentally. He'll play this year.

In theory the ligament they replace the ACL with is at least as strong as the original ACL. The concern is normally the attachments and the inflammation that results any time you start drilling holes through cartilage and bone to repair the ligament. Some people do extremely well and others not so much. I think his last knee surgery last year was just a clean up. The mental rehab that has to take place is probably as important right now as the physical part. Most of the people who have ACL surgeries are likely candidates for knee replacement later in life. Some earlier than others. I'm hopeful with the kind of care he's receiving that long term effects can be minimized. Excited to see him play.

I think you're spot on about the mental aspect. Sounds like he's running as if he's not hesitant or scared, which is great optimism to hear about the kid. Must be ok if he's already taken the #2 spot.

Hopefully it stays that way, because I understaff that the mental rehab can be daunting and potentially never fully recovered from.

I am thinking they will take 5 or 6 rb's to OSU. I am thinking the 6 are....

Mills,Thompkins,Rahmir,Scott,Morrisson & Jewett. I am thinking Jewett might have a role on ST so I am guessing he's in.

The 6th guy is kind of a bubble guy. I think it might be Morrison. Not saying he isn't good but saying maybe he doesn't have the offense down yet and needs a little more time. Might be the iffy guy for this trip. Just a guess.

Based on his high school film, I think he has the potential and skill set to be better than Green. Don't get me wrong, Ahman was a great back but he wasn't what I would consider Heisman caliber like LP.

Gotta disagree there. Green was most definitely Heisman caliber. 7.7 YPC and his highlights say it all. Also was the only RB in NFL history other than a guy named Bo Jackson to have multiple 90+ yard rushing TDs until a few years ago.

Gotta disagree there. Green was most definitely Heisman caliber. 7.7 YPC and his highlights say it all. Also was the only RB in NFL history other than a guy named Bo Jackson to have multiple 90+ yard rushing TDs until a few years ago.
I'm pretty sure he never got a single Heisman vote, but could be wrong.

Ahman Green ran for 1877 yards his Jr year, 2nd best season all time for Huskers. He would of been a serious Heisman candidate his Sr year if he had chosen to return. Not as flashy as L.P but had better speed and power.

I have no idea how good Thompkins will be as he hasn't been on the field. Not going to compare him to anyone right now.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure he never got a single Heisman vote, but could be wrong.

Well remember who he had to go up against that year. I think Woodson and Peyton Manning pretty much strangled the vote. Media was much more inclined to piggyback each other back then as well as you couldn't really see highlights of each guy very easily. I believe the system narrative was starting to go around about Nebraska RBs at that time which didn't help. Ahman had the last laugh in the Orange Bowl though.

Well remember who he had to go up against that year. I think Woodson and Peyton Manning pretty much strangled the vote. Media was much more inclined to piggyback each other back then as well as you couldn't really see highlights of each guy very easily. I believe the system narrative was starting to go around about Nebraska RBs at that time which didn't help. Ahman had the last laugh in the Orange Bowl though.

And neither guy was in the same stratosphere as Moss. Bringing up the Heisman is a joke....

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Why? Some of our better receivers over the last decade have been walk-ons. Todd Peterson, Brandon Reilly, Bryan Reimers all had great size too. Reimers should have gotten a lot more playing time too, all he did was make plays while he was out there. Now we got a new walk-on Reimer at LB who is coming along nicely and I'd rather have him than the dozens of scholarship linebackers who've come in and out of the program and done absolutely nothing.
This is why we suck...just because a guy plays for nebraska doesn't mean he is D1 material. The constant blowouts at the hands of top 25 teams would tell me we have a major gap in talent in depth...especially depth which is where the walk-ons hurt. You need your #2 and #3 guys to be great talents as well if you want to win in conference play. Every team we play in October and later has #2 and #3 guys starting...even teams like wisky and osu who destroy us. The guys you listed could not get open against top 25 talent...they couldn't block top 25 rushers, and couldn't get to the qb against top 25 blockers. This is why we get spanked in top 25 games...to the point where we are one of the worst teams in college football against top 25 talent over the last 15 years. This isn't 1995...talent evaluation is magnitudes better than 25 years ago..if a kid doesn't have D1 offers he just isn't good enough because they have hundreds of hours on hudl and local teams in kansas, north dakota, south dakota will eat up good nebraska players. I understand the past...but those days are long gone sadly.

Bo who? Sounds like a bum.

Ahman Green was an incredible, amazing back. Definitely Heisman caliber. Came in as a freshman and played on a national championship team. Should've been a 5 star player.

Reactions: OzzyLvr
This is why we suck...just because a guy plays for nebraska doesn't mean he is D1 material. The constant blowouts at the hands of top 25 teams would tell me we have a major gap in talent in depth...especially depth which is where the walk-ons hurt. You need your #2 and #3 guys to be great talents as well if you want to win in conference play. Every team we play in October and later has #2 and #3 guys starting...even teams like wisky and osu who destroy us. The guys you listed could not get open against top 25 talent...they couldn't block top 25 rushers, and couldn't get to the qb against top 25 blockers. This is why we get spanked in top 25 games...to the point where we are one of the worst teams in college football against top 25 talent over the last 15 years. This isn't 1995...talent evaluation is magnitudes better than 25 years ago..if a kid doesn't have D1 offers he just isn't good enough because they have hundreds of hours on hudl and local teams in kansas, north dakota, south dakota will eat up good nebraska players. I understand the past...but those days are long gone sadly.
Todd Peterson always came up big against ranked teams. Brandon Reilly was in the NFL. Reimers was every bit as good as both of them, but never got playing time because Riley didn't want to put him on scholarship. If walk-ons are never supposed to play, what's the point in even having them? If that's the case, I say just shut down the walk-on program and all our coaching efforts can be focused on the 85 scholarship players.

1900 yards and 22 tds not Heisman Caliber. Lol.....
Great stats, no doubt. Great player, no doubt. But not exactly the kind of player that dictates the outcome of the game on his own. Watch the 96 Fiesta bowl and the 98 orange bowl, both defining games for each player, and tell me which guy stood out more.

• Love
Reactions: kakdawg
Great stats, no doubt. Great player, no doubt. But not exactly the kind of player that dictates the outcome of the game on his own. Watch the 96 Fiesta bowl and the 98 orange bowl, both defining games for each player, and tell me which guy stood out more.
94 kstate: does Ahman carry the team like LP did? Probably not.

Ahman Green was an incredible, amazing back. Definitely Heisman caliber. Came in as a freshman and played on a national championship team. Should've been a 5 star player.
He predates the star system, but essentially was the equivalent of a 5 star by the recruiting services back then. Everybody and their dog wanted Ahman.

Why? Some of our better receivers over the last decade have been walk-ons. Todd Peterson, Brandon Reilly, Bryan Reimers all had great size too. Reimers should have gotten a lot more playing time too, all he did was make plays while he was out there. Now we got a new walk-on Reimer at LB who is coming along nicely and I'd rather have him than the dozens of scholarship linebackers who've come in and out of the program and done absolutely nothing.

I’d say linebacker and wide receiver are the two areas we’ve failed at miserably in the past 10 years in recruiting and developing. Sure we’ve had a handful of guys that were ok (exception of David) but a handful isn’t enough.

Johnson wasn't too impressive last year. He looked quick but didn't run smooth and went down easy.
I wasn’t that impressed with him either. I mean I wish they would have managed his redshirt better to give us a larger sample size but kid did not have power. Hopefully a year in the weight room will do wonders.

Eh, you don't have to convince anybody on here that LP was the man and should have won a Heisman if he plays a full season. Ahman was good enough to be a Heisman contender, that's all I'm saying.

That is exciting that he jumped Johnson on the depth chart even after a knee injury. Rhamir I think has potential. I think he lacked improvisational skills when the hole wasn’t where it was designed to be, which I think he can grow that part of his game and learn. But last season he was more of a straight line runner. Excited to see Thompkins.

Rahmir is a good RB. He just isn't a "natural" RB. Thompkins imo is a "natural" RB. Gotta remember Rahmir was young as well last year. It'll take him getting a little more comfortable in the offense before we see his complete abilities.

Holla

Reactions: SomedayHusker
Ahman Green ran for 1877 yards his Jr year, 2nd best season all time for Huskers. He would of been a serious Heisman candidate his Sr year if he had chosen to return. Not as flashy as L.P but had better speed and power.

I have no idea how good Thompkins will be as he hasn't been on the field. Not going to compare him to anyone right now.

Only thing Ahman had better than LP was speed. LP was more elusive, stronger, had better vision and natural instincts. I know the clock said he was faster than LP and in a straight line he was. But ON THE FIELD imo LP played faster than Ahman did.

Not taking anything away from Ahman because he's probably a top 5 Husker RB of all time. But LP was on another level. I know all the numbers that Ahman put up in 97 and that was great. But judging RBs by just the numbers is a huge mistake. RB is one position where your eyes will generally tell you better than what the stats are. Ahman was a great Husker RB. Imo LP was an ALL TIME great COLLEGE RB.

Holla

You are gonna get crushed on this post but MUCH of it is absolutely right. Simply put IF our goal is to compete at the highest level of college football those guys aren't going to get us there.

Sure there will be a few great stories here and there and we all look forward to it. But more times than not lineups that includes multiple guys like those starting will not get us competing at the highest level of college football. That's just as truthful as I can be.

Fwiw ...I'm a huge fan of Luke Reimer at LB. I think he will be a guy for us sooner than later.

Holla

Last edited:

Or the 93 and 94 orange bowls against FSU and Miami.

Holla

Reactions: baseball31ne
Only thing Ahman had better than LP was speed. LP was more elusive, stronger, had better vision and natural instincts. I know the clock said he was faster than LP and in a straight line he was. But ON THE FIELD imo LP played faster than Ahman did.

Not taking anything away from Ahman because he's probably a top 5 Husker RB of all time. But LP was on another level. I know all the numbers that Ahman put up in 97 and that was great. But judging RBs by just the numbers is a huge mistake. RB is one position where your eyes will generally tell you better than what the stats are. Ahman was a great Husker RB. Imo LP was an ALL TIME great COLLEGE RB.

Holla
I see the same things with Thompkins. Great field vision, smooth cuts, better than average speed, the ability to drop a shoulder but also knows when not to, and he seems to run with an aggressive attitude. Of course, this is all based on the tape from his junior year in high school so it has to be taken with a grain of salt but assuming he progresses like almost every elite program thought he would, he's something special.

• Love
I see the same things with Thompkins. Great field vision, smooth cuts, better than average speed, the ability to drop a shoulder but also knows when not to, and he seems to run with an aggressive attitude. Of course, this is all based on the tape from his junior year in high school so it has to be taken with a grain of salt but assuming he progresses like almost every elite program thought he would, he's something special.

You and I see the same exact things in the kid. Absolutely a lot depends on how his health holds up but I love his skill set. I was on record from day 1 that INJURY aside he was a better RB prospect than our other two higher rated 4 star guys in that class (Mills/Johnson).

His highlights reminded me of a YOUNG LP. You could see the the above average speed BUT it was his acceleration in and outta cuts that made me think of LP. He had a couple runs on his clips that reminded me of LP in the Michigan St and Florida games in 95. The ability to go into and out of cuts while still accelerating is rare. You also got a glimpse of his power in the video as well.

Look we all know it's a crap shoot and I'll never say he is better than an LP or Ahman for that matter until we see something on the D 1 field. BUT his skill set and style of running absolutely gives him a chance to be a special RB.

Again it's all about staying healthy for him.

Holla

Personally I put LP and Green in the same category. I think it's splitting hairs.

I have Ahman a tier down from LP.

For me LP is the best Husker RB with Rozier a close second. I think they are in tier one. Imo Ahman makes that second tier . Again a great back but just not to the level LP or Rozier.

Holla

I have Ahman a tier down from LP.

For me LP is the best Husker RB with Rozier a close second. I think they are in tier one. Imo Ahman makes that second tier . Again a great back but just not to the level LP or Rozier.

Holla
I don't think there is any question that LP was the most talented Husker RB ever. I respect your opinion, BUT for me there's more to it than talent to be considered the greatest RB ever at NU. When he played, he put up huge numbers. LP wasn't available for his team for multiple games because of his personal issues. I downgrade him for that. Talent wise yes. Career performance no. JMO.

I've been as high on Thompkins as anybody, but let's see him play in a game before we anoint him a Heisman candidate or the next LP.
Exactly, I see the same bs every year on these boards. Rhamir had a few lack luster runs and now everybody is all over Thompkins nuts and he hasn’t even had a single offensive play.

ADVERTISEMENT