ADVERTISEMENT

Ronald Thompkins is the #2 RB

So just curious, where did you hear this? I didn't think they released a depth chart.

I'm hoping this is more a testament to RT than it is an indictment of the other backs in the room. I don't expect two true freshmen to come in and grab a #2 spot right away but they'll be needed. Let's hope they're fast learners.

There are THIRTEEN dudes listed on that roster at RB. I count 5 with scholarships. We need a minimum of 3 guys capable of contributing something well above Wyatt Mazour levels of productivity.

I was expecting him to make a comeback honestly. Didn't think a guy with that kind of talent would rot away on the bench forever.

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I think they still try to get Johnson on the field. The kid can run and he will be a matchup nightmare. Would be nice to do some jet sweep action with him as well as Wandale and the other youngins.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Man, I just want them to run the ball. I want 350yd per game back, bigly. We won't win being a finesse team. We need to have our smash mouth mentality back. We need to make teams fear having to play us for 4Qs. Mean, nasty, physical football. Nebraska is an outlier. We won't get the same kids as the power schools. We have to be something else.

Really happy for him for all the hard work he went through after 2 knee surgery’s.... Was one of the top high school running backs in the country before injuring his knee..
These guys come back better than years ago. I'm amazed by Frank Gore's long career and now Teddy Bridegwater. No longer career ending injuries.

That is exciting that he jumped Johnson on the depth chart even after a knee injury. Rhamir I think has potential. I think he lacked improvisational skills when the hole wasn’t where it was designed to be, which I think he can grow that part of his game and learn. But last season he was more of a straight line runner. Excited to see Thompkins.

Reactions: kakdawg
I hope his knees can last. I wonder how many snaps a game he can handle?
Well as number 2, he won't be the workhorse. They likely will be careful to ease him back in the first games. But I also always thought that if they come back after surgery then that surgery made them stronger in the area that was fixed. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Sounds like they think he is a complete back that can be used for the whole playbook. That helps break tendacies. With some of the other guys you might see them in for certain types of plays so you have to mix that up.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Well as number 2, he won't be the workhorse. They likely will be careful to ease him back in the first games. But I also always thought that if they come back after surgery then that surgery made them stronger in the area that was fixed. But I could be wrong.
I thought any time you have surgery you're weaker. Hope you're right!

It’s likely been mentioned already, but having pure-play scholarship running backs in the top 4+ spots on the depth chart is another small sign that the roster is stabilizing.
Qb, RB, DB, DT, TE can all say that for the first time in forever it seems. Now let’s get the WR and LB stable all the way.

He was a 4 star and ranked the 174th overall player when he committed to Florida State in 2017. Then he tore his right ACL and had surgery.
The following year in 2018 he then tore his left ACL and had surgery.

Prior to his first ACL tear, he had offers from Bama, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Penn St. USC, Oregon, etc.

The other part I love about this, he’s 6 foot tall and has to be 205 pounds or so. He’s plenty big enough for the work load (I’m assuming knees are good to go since he being released this year)....

I think the heisman level talent talk is a bit over the top, but sounds like he's good at catching balls and moving in space.. they might use him more on those swing passes than between the tackles, but anything is possible.. I mean last year they had Maurice running inside and Mills running outside so um, yeah.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Qb, RB, DB, DT, TE can all say that for the first time in forever it seems. Now let’s get the WR and LB stable all the way.
Why? Some of our better receivers over the last decade have been walk-ons. Todd Peterson, Brandon Reilly, Bryan Reimers all had great size too. Reimers should have gotten a lot more playing time too, all he did was make plays while he was out there. Now we got a new walk-on Reimer at LB who is coming along nicely and I'd rather have him than the dozens of scholarship linebackers who've come in and out of the program and done absolutely nothing.

I think the heisman level talent talk is a bit over the top, but sounds like he's good at catching balls and moving in space.. they might use him more on those swing passes than between the tackles, but anything is possible.. I mean last year they had Maurice running inside and Mills running outside so um, yeah.
I agree. Let’s not overhype him before he’s even played a down.

But, some of his high school highlights are very impressive. There were a couple of LP cuts on some of that film.
Well, damn, I guess I’m hyping him up. He does have potential though.

Man, I just want them to run the ball. I want 350yd per game back, bigly. We won't win being a finesse team. We need to have our smash mouth mentality back. We need to make teams fear having to play us for 4Qs. Mean, nasty, physical football. Nebraska is an outlier. We won't get the same kids as the power schools. We have to be something else.
I've been wondering this. I wonder if we were good because the option was a little gimmicky. Maybe we need something gimmicky and different to get back where we were.

I agree. Let’s not overhype him before he’s even played a down.

But, some of his high school highlights are very impressive. There were a couple of LP cuts on some of that film.
Well, damn, I guess I’m hyping him up. He does have potential though.

lol there wasn’t a single person that mentioned the Heisman and no one was really hyping him up. Mostly everyone is excited to see the young man bouncing back after two bad knee injuries and we should be excited and happy for him. Some assumed he’d never play a down in college football.

There was also a few that mentioned the level of talent he was pre injury. He was a Top 250 4 star and had a chance to be a Top 100, if not a Top 50 player had he not gotten hurt. Even then, that’s not hyping him at all, those are facts had he not gotten hurt. But even still, I’m just glad he’s bounced back and appears to be 100% again (or close to it).

Last edited:
I thought any time you have surgery you're weaker. Hope you're right!
In theory the ligament they replace the ACL with is at least as strong as the original ACL. The concern is normally the attachments and the inflammation that results any time you start drilling holes through cartilage and bone to repair the ligament. Some people do extremely well and others not so much. I think his last knee surgery last year was just a clean up. The mental rehab that has to take place is probably as important right now as the physical part. Most of the people who have ACL surgeries are likely candidates for knee replacement later in life. Some earlier than others. I'm hopeful with the kind of care he's receiving that long term effects can be minimized. Excited to see him play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT