ADVERTISEMENT

'Robot ump' calls first professional baseball game...

I’d like for teams to be able to challenge 2-3 pitches per game using this tech. Somewhat like tennis does.

Even watching the CWS the strike zones were different each game. Human effect and they changed throughout the games.

Camera angles for TV change as well.

Not sure how I feel about it. Would it give pitchers or hitters the advantage?? Tough call
Idk, I’ve seen some of the balls that “clip” the K Zone and they go into the glove in places we’ve never EVER seen strikes.

I would assume it changes with the height of each batter as well, but how is that determined?

Reactions: huskerfan66
Idk, I’ve seen some of the balls that “clip” the K Zone and they go into the glove in places we’ve never EVER seen strikes.

I would assume it changes with the height of each batter as well, but how is that determined?

According to the article:
Officials calculated the strike zone — about a ball and a half’s length from the top of the belt buckle to the bottom of a batter’s knee — based on biometric information gathered during stops in affiliated baseball. All but one of the All-Star Game’s 47 players had at least some minor league experience; 13 had played in the major leagues. For players without available strike zone data, they hit against a zone measured for a 6-foot-2 batter.

Calls for this at the major league level would not be as loud if MLB actually made an effort to put the 60 best umpires in the country on the field every night. Some MLB umps are outstanding, but the profession is dragged down by others who should have been relieved of their duties years ago.

Reactions: cubsker and nwualum

I read the article pretty quickly but it seemed to say that they used data about each individual player to determine that player's strike zone and for players that they didn't have the data, they used data for a 6' 2" player.

Calls for this at the major league level would not be as loud if MLB actually made an effort to put the 60 best umpires in the country on the field every night. Some MLB umps are outstanding, but the profession is dragged down by others who should have been relieved of their duties years ago.

Just getting rid of angel Hernandez and c.b. bucknor would do wonders.

Reactions: nwualum
I would agree that robot umps are not going to be perfect and they need to work on continuing to improve the technology. But I've seen some just awful home plate umps recently with different strikes for different teams, different pitchers, etc. Consistency would be an amazing improvement.

I would agree that robot umps are not going to be perfect and they need to work on continuing to improve the technology. But I've seen some just awful home plate umps recently with different strikes for different teams, different pitchers, etc. Consistency would be an amazing improvement.
My problem with robot umps is that human factor is part of the game. Whether it be a player making an error, or a manager making a decision(right or wrong) or an umpire making a ball or strike call. To me, that is what makes the game great. We can argue whether we think an ump blew a call or not or whether the manager shouldn’t have punch hit for someone. Maybe I’m being ignorant, but I really don’t want to see robot umps. I would like to see more accountability for the umps though. Maybe that would help improve the game.

Kaz, I used to be in total agreement with your point of you. But it’s just gotten so bad and inconsistent, I’ve changed my train of thought. If you can make the game fair to the players and the fans, please do so. I realize there are two sides to this and umpires are human just like the players are. But after seeing us lose a national title or two in football due to poor officiating, and seeing the Saints get screwed in the playoffs last year, it’s time to correct errors when they can be corrected. Many of those players never get another chance to win a championship. And I am still pissed about the 1985 World Series that the Cardinals rightfully won!!

Reactions: kaz36
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT