ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals PLEASE STOP THE SCROLLING ADD FOR RSS!!!!!!

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
It completely locks up my computer. Heck your ads won't even load with the darned thing running.

where can I get it. I think my pop up/adware blocker I have now is part of the problem

I use Firefox for my browser. Go to Mozilla to get add ons. Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin are good ad blocker and you won't have these issues any longer.

Last edited:
How dare you ruin dingle's free Husker Online experience with ads that pay for it.

Reactions: huskerbux
We're dealing with this on our board (I'm a mod there): it's a corporate issue, and they've been damn slow to respond. Looks like they're trying to squeeze out all of the ad revenue they can. They're gonna start losing people if they continue pulling stunts like this.

We're dealing with this on our board (I'm a mod there): it's a corporate issue, and they've been damn slow to respond. Looks like they're trying to squeeze out all of the ad revenue they can. They're gonna start losing people if they continue pulling stunts like this.

Yes. Most of us wouldn't mind unobtrusive advertising. It gets bad when you can't read the content you are there for. Worse yet, the page has trouble loading regardless of system resources. I installed a new anti-adblock script due to the number of sites that attempt to block my use of ad block software.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Now that's interesting - how did you do that? I'd love to take a look at it.

It says it on their site, but here's the steps:

1. Install an adblocker. I recommend Adblock Plus and uBlock Origin.
2. Install a Script Manager. I recommend Greasemonkey.
3. Install Anti-Adblock Killer script.
4. Subscribe to their Anti-Adblock Killer list. This is for your adblocker software.

Go HERE to get the script, list and instructions.

NoScript

100% ad/nuisance killer. Take 5 minutes to learn the basics of it and you will never complain about JavaScript again.

Turned out to be an issue with Firefox and Adblock - when I had to reboot Firefox, the Adblock filter subscriptions were lost. Once I added that back in it started working fine again.

So far I am loving Adblock Plus and Adblock Genesis Plus... added ABP to my phone too.

This thread was helpful :)

I don't mind a few ads to generate revenue for a site, but cmon man. The scrolling/video ones that virtually stop your computer defeat the purpose of advertising. It just pisses a user off at the product/company that they are trying to sell. They could accomplish the goal better with just a simple pic and print without the flashing crap. Just because you can ad flashy effects to an ad doesn't mean you should.

Hate to promote any Apple product as they already have enough fanboys, but never have seen this issue on my iPad running Chrome.

I am done with this site.
Total full screen takeover and somebody yelling at me about Serena Williams.
Yelling.
Made my dog bark.
I understand ad revenue, but this over the top in your face, lock your shit up kinda stuff.

Last edited:
I am done with this site.
Total full screen takeover and somebody yelling at me about Serena Williams.
Yelling.
Made my dog bark.
I understand ad revenue, but this over the top in your face, lock your shit up kinda stuff.
The sad part is that the worst ads for slowing my computer are the ones for RSS. Talk about self-defeating.

They have (found a way around Adblocker) and I'm just about ready to dump this website from favorites. I'm tired of ads everywhere I turn. Not mention that because of the ads this website is slow and clunky and it took me far to long just type these few sentences because of the nonsense.

Install Firefox.

Install NoScript.

Take 5 minutes to learn how to whitelist web domains by right-clicking on the web pages you visit.

Not only will this completely remove all annoying ads, it will let you see which companies are spying on you on each web site you visit. For example, right-clicking on Rivals.com right now I see Google, Facebook, and Yahoo all embedded. They are all blocked thanks to NoScript. Twitter is also on here but I have it whitelisted so I can see embedded tweets.

Install Firefox.

Install NoScript.

Take 5 minutes to learn how to whitelist web domains by right-clicking on the web pages you visit.

Not only will this completely remove all annoying ads, it will let you see which companies are spying on you on each web site you visit. For example, right-clicking on Rivals.com right now I see Google, Facebook, and Yahoo all embedded. They are all blocked thanks to NoScript. Twitter is also on here but I have it whitelisted so I can see embedded tweets.

I've been using NoScript for years.

Recommend keeping Chrome or internet explorer around for some web pages though... some have like 30 scripts running and it's a waste of time to enable them, pure craziness.

I should add that NoScript will not only block the ads, it will help prevent viruses and other malware from being automatically downloaded.

I should add that NoScript will not only block the ads, it will help prevent viruses and other malware from being automatically downloaded.

It will also stop some sites from functioning totally. This is normal, and once you learn how to use it and allow the script the site will work fine. If you have issues just view in a different browser.

It will also stop some sites from functioning totally. This is normal, and once you learn how to use it and allow the script the site will work fine. If you have issues just view in a different browser.

I know what you're talking about. Forbes is probably the worst offender and has the most bloated web site I have ever seen. I don't even click on links to their page anymore because of it. Tmz is a close second, but their web site is at least functional if you just whitelist the Tmz domain.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT