ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Hayden Fry

I think the most emotional and moving football game I ever attended was in 1979 when Nebraska visited Iowa City. It was the first time Fry coached against Nebraska. Nebraska was ranked #7. Iowa of course was still going through double digits of losing seasons. Nebraska won 24 to 21 after overcoming a two-touchdown deficit late in the third quarter. As soon as the clock hit zero, everyone (and I mean Nebraska and Iowa fans) in Kinnick stadium gave a standing ovation. I even had a Nebraska lady next to me give me a hug.

“We’re going to scratch where it itches”

origin.jpg

The one Nebraska thing I will remember at Coach Fry and Iowa/Nebraska is the 1981 game to start the season. Coming off the 1980 56-0 shellacking there was not a lot of optimism for this game. Before the game started talking to people who parked in our lot on Olive Ct. I made the comment to some that I was having a weird feeling about the game. For some reason I thought Iowa could win the game. Several people told me I was crazy and was hoping that Iowa could score this time. A10-7 Iowa victory was the start of the magical season that was 1981which concluded in a trip to the Rose Bowl. Rest in PEACE Coach Fry and enjoy your final High Porch Picnic.

The one Nebraska thing I will remember at Coach Fry and Iowa/Nebraska is the 1981 game to start the season. Coming off the 1980 56-0 shellacking there was not a lot of optimism for this game. Before the game started talking to people who parked in our lot on Olive Ct. I made the comment to some that I was having a weird feeling about the game. For some reason I thought Iowa could win the game. Several people told me I was crazy and was hoping that Iowa could score this time. A10-7 Iowa victory was the start of the magical season that was 1981which concluded in a trip to the Rose Bowl. Rest in PEACE Coach Fry and enjoy your final High Porch Picnic.
Thanks for sharing here...I guess? :rolleyes:

That darn Reggie Roby kicked Nebraska into field position oblivion, he as much as anyone won the game for Iowa that day.

Last edited:
Genuine mentors and teachers of a day long gone. His legacy lives on through the many lives he touched.

Reactions: cidsports
Oh this hurts a lot. The Riverboat Gambler, a huge personality when the Big Ten needed such a persona. Hayden Fry was Iowa football. He and Bill Snyder brought the innovative passing game to the stodgy old Big 10 and challenged OSU and Michigan like no other school before. No one ever wore a pair of white paints and ‘stache like ole’ Hayden. RIP.

ADVERTISEMENT