ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Hayden Fry

HaydenFryCoachingTree2.png

83-staff.0.jpg

Unbelievable but true: Hayden Fry's salary was $45,000 when he was hired by Iowa in 1979. In game time comparison, Frost earns that in the first 6 minutes of the 1st game of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: cecilB
Thank you for the kind words of our beloved former head coach, Husker fans. Very classy. Hayden is revered in the state of Iowa. After inheriting a losing program, he turned it around in his 3rd year, after two losing seasons. I have a feeling Scott Frost may do likewise. Good luck on signing day and next season. Go Hawks! and GBR!

Pure class. Thanks Husker fans! We knew it would happen some day but still was a punch in the gut when the news arrived. He made us competitive after two decades in the desert and ran the ship the right way. Will be greatly missed!

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
Best story I ever heard about Hayden Fry was he back when Iowa had just raised their ticket prices, he was quoted as saying "It's a good thing I get in for free. The way we are playing I'm not sure I would pay that much", or something to that effect.

Great coach for both the players and the fans.

Hayden was a legend and will never be surpassed by another coach at Iowa ever. His loss in the state this past week has been profound. Besides making Iowa relevant again on the field, he's responsible for the current Tigerhawk logo, the "swarm" coming onto the field, the pink locker room, the "hokey pokey", the white pants, sunglasses, on and on it goes.

If there was one famous and true story about Hayden, it was in just his second game as Iowa coach. They went to Oklahoma to play in 1979 and Iowa was a huge underdog. They ended up losing only 21-7. In the locker room after the game Hayden noticed several players smiling, joking, almost acting as if they won because they viewed it as a moral victory. Hayden then stopped the locker room in its tracks by saying, "the next player I see with a smile on his face I'll punch you in the face". That attitude changed Iowa football in that very moment.

Last edited:
Hayden was a legend and will never be surpassed by another coach at Iowa ever. His loss in the state this past week has been profound. Besides making Iowa relevant again on the field, he's responsible for the current Tigerhawk logo, the "swarm" coming onto the field, the pink locker room, the "hokey pokey", the white pants, sunglasses, on and on it goes.

If there was one famous and true story about Hayden, it was in just his second game as Iowa coach. They went to Oklahoma to play in 1979 and Iowa was a huge underdog. They ended up losing only 21-7. In the locker room after the game Hayden noticed several players smiling, joking, almost acting as if they won because they viewed it as a moral victory. Hayden then stopped the locker room in its tracks by saying, "the next player I see with a smile on his face I'll punch you in the face". That attitude changed Iowa football in that very moment.
Wonder why Fry pussed out on the Nebraska series after 1982?

Wonder why Fry pussed out on the Nebraska series after 1982?

It's not like Nebraska and Iowa played regularly. Prior to the 79-82 series, they last played in 1946. Devaney was still handling the scheduling at that time with Tom's input. Both liked to play series on the west coast and Texas for recruiting exposure along with two that were pushover home games. Neither side was eager to play regular games at that time.

The one Nebraska thing I will remember at Coach Fry and Iowa/Nebraska is the 1981 game to start the season. Coming off the 1980 56-0 shellacking there was not a lot of optimism for this game. Before the game started talking to people who parked in our lot on Olive Ct. I made the comment to some that I was having a weird feeling about the game. For some reason I thought Iowa could win the game. Several people told me I was crazy and was hoping that Iowa could score this time. A10-7 Iowa victory was the start of the magical season that was 1981which concluded in a trip to the Rose Bowl. Rest in PEACE Coach Fry and enjoy your final High Porch Picnic.
I too kuwaitHawk attended this game, I believe this win was the turning point which Iowa football under couch Fry began to believe in themselves after winning against a very good Nebraska team, a blue blood program, that today deserves our respect....Go Hawks......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT