ADVERTISEMENT

Rimington comments on offense

NebChicago, he was recruited as a RB. However, good argument he could have played CB as well. Loved watching that guy run. He hated being tackled. He would just slither long enough to get out of bounds.

Didn’t a lot of folks feel like his natural and potentially best position was CB? Thought that’s why we got him
Nah, it was as a receiver. Mo would have made a great receiver. That was his natural position. Just like Luke's natural position is probably receiver also. I don't know what position is Wandale's, he dropped the ball a lot.

Reactions: WHCSC
Mo Washington is a RB and has been his entire playing life and NO he wasn't playing out of position. Sheesh!

Cam was recruited as a TE.

Wandale as slot receiver... played both receiver and RB, RB when Mills was injured.

Luke was recruited as a QB. Mo recruited as an RB. Warner (a walk on when recruited) as a WR.

The only one you can definitively claim is playing out of position is Cam. Unless you just want to make stuff up to bitch about. Then carry on.
Regardless of where he was recruited, Cam is the perfect kind of athlete and body type to play center in Frost's offense. When I look at him physically I see Dominic Raiola and not Rimmington. IF Cam can master the finer points of playing center he'll play in the NFL IMO.

Cam at center, Wandale at RB, Luke at QB, Mo Washington at RB, Warner at WR everyone is out of position
Warner only played WR in high school and that's all he's ever wanted to play. He doesn't have great speed and he's not big enough to play TE but he has good hands and blocks well to go with the fact that he's always where he's supposed to be. Wandale was ALWAYs slated to play the DuckR which is a hybrid similar to our old Wingbacks. Mo was a RB all the way. Luke wanted to play QB which he did his whole senior year. One can make a good argument that Luke should be on the field as a WR, but we need him for depth at QB right now.

Nah, it was as a receiver. Mo would have made a great receiver. That was his natural position. Just like Luke's natural position is probably receiver also. I don't know what position is Wandale's, he dropped the ball a lot.

No it wasn't as he's been an RB his entire playing life being able to catch passes out of the backfield. For the most it's these boards that thinks receiver was his natural position. Truth of the matter is, the boards have no matter to the university as they always take them with a grain of salt as they should. Reality check!

Here are some examples from Scott Frost after the Purdue game...I think they explain a lot:

On Cameron Jurgens’ performance at center:

“No, we need to get it fixed so we're gonna get as much help and as many ideas as we can to get it fixed. He's too good of a player not to have on the field. He's too good of a player to even consider moving him out of that role or moving him somewhere else. But we can't continue the way we're going.

And then there is this GEM: (still talking about bad snaps during the game)

"We did a study this week and we scored on our drives where we don't have a penalty, a bad snap or a turnover. We scored on over 90% of those drives and we just had far too many."
(I shook my head at this...at least he does recognize an issue after doing a "study")
Here's the issue. When Cam is in the game and we have a big play guess who I always see down field knocking down linebackers and safeties making the play go. Yep. Cam Jurgens. He's probably our most athletic guy on our O line and is a perfect fit physically for the position for Frost's offense. Part of the issue with trying to replace him is the lack of other guys who can do the job effectively. Wil Farniok is quite a bit smaller than his brother and just as slow. It's frustrating because Cam can just plain do things physically from the center position that nobody else on the team can do.

Here's the issue. When Cam is in the game and we have a big play guess who I always see down field knocking down linebackers and safeties making the play go. Yep. Cam Jurgens. He's probably our most athletic guy on our O line and is a perfect fit physically for the position for Frost's offense. Part of the issue with trying to replace him is the lack of other guys who can do the job effectively. Wil Farniok is quite a bit smaller than his brother and just as slow. It's frustrating because Cam can just plain do things physically from the center position that nobody else on the team can do.
Really, really hoping Zatechka commits so we get depth at center and a future starter!

Reactions: dinglefritz
No it wasn't as he's been an RB his entire playing life being able to catch passes out of the backfield. For the most it's these boards that thinks receiver was his natural position. Truth of the matter is, the boards have no matter to the university as they always take them with a grain of salt as they should. Reality check!
I don't think you remember very well how he struggled running up the middle and Mills struggling to run outside in 2019. It's a shame that Frost did not utilize the talent he had appropriately, but it became very evident that Mo was a great receiver with excellent YAC. He was more dangerous that way than he was as a running back, running inside. He never liked that roll and always tried to bounce things to the outside. So if you ask me, it was very clear to most Nebraska fans with a brain, that he was better suited (at least here) to the wide receiver position. That's the truth of the matter... so check your own reality.

sorry, I will take the word of the guy with the trophy named after him over yours.

I whole-heartedly agree with what you say here about Cams physical abilities......however, if you have a center who is only accurate part of the time ...and he seems to not be accurate at the worst time....his physical abilities are not an advantage for anyone.

Reactions: Red I 73
When the best center to ever play the position speaks up.. and he’s a former Husker, wouldn’t it be nice to have Frost invite him to off-season spring camp and work with Cam and other Centers? Two years of consistent mistakes, anything moving forward would be a positive!
I’m guessing DR had less than a dozen shotgun snaps in his career. Probably not best guy to teach the technique.

going into year 4 and one of the hot off season topics and areas of concern remains one of the most basic elements of the game - snapping the football

what a huge indictment of this staff that they do not seem to have the wherewithal to be able to competently deal with this

furthermore I feel horrible for Jurgens - was a 4* recruit who committed early due to his love of Neb and would have had numerous other big time options

he arrives on campus and before he he can even get his bags unpacked - using his love for Neb football and dropping the name of Rimington - he is manipulated into moving to center despite this not being a topic during his recruitment - Rimington's name is even disgracefully invoked when talking to the media about a kid who has never played the position

the kid has become a pariah and to his credit has kept his mouth shut despite having no interest in playing the position or guard for that matter

now we have a husker legend and fans questioning his mentality to play the position

the kid was hoodwinked into moving to center by pulling on his heart strings and his love of DONU - was forced to put on a bunch of unhealthy weight with potential life long adverse health consequences and robbed of the opportunity to develop into a potential NFL talent at a more natural position

absolutely disgraceful - the staff should be ashamed of themselves

wow- u claim to know he “having no interest in playing the position”. Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit

Dave has to be scratching his head after having someone like our center being deemed as the next Remington. Hope Scott is more careful going forward with making such statements.

You KNOW damn well Scott NOT gone stop deeming players who haven't done sh!t at Nebraska the next great blah blah. After all, Scott Frost himself is the NEXT Tom Osborne.......right??

Frost has not learned to shut his mouth about anything....schedule.....refs.....clapping.....media time outs....etc.....he acts like a whiney 5 year old sometimes.
the whiney fans should be just at ease with that........just sayin

going into year 4 and one of the hot off season topics and areas of concern remains one of the most basic elements of the game - snapping the football

what a huge indictment of this staff that they do not seem to have the wherewithal to be able to competently deal with this

furthermore I feel horrible for Jurgens - was a 4* recruit who committed early due to his love of Neb and would have had numerous other big time options

he arrives on campus and before he he can even get his bags unpacked - using his love for Neb football and dropping the name of Rimington - he is manipulated into moving to center despite this not being a topic during his recruitment - Rimington's name is even disgracefully invoked when talking to the media about a kid who has never played the position

the kid has become a pariah and to his credit has kept his mouth shut despite having no interest in playing the position or guard for that matter

now we have a husker legend and fans questioning his mentality to play the position

the kid was hoodwinked into moving to center by pulling on his heart strings and his love of DONU - was forced to put on a bunch of unhealthy weight with potential life long adverse health consequences and robbed of the opportunity to develop into a potential NFL talent at a more natural position

absolutely disgraceful - the staff should be ashamed of themselves
sadly I'm even more disgusted with the world's greatest "fans"

Sure thing. Cam almost always had someone over him and had his hands full as did the entire O line but yea, he was all B1G for his downfield blocking. Not. I am not bagging on the kid, he didn't grow up being an interior lineman, he is learning in the fly. If he was knocking down all those LB's and safeties we probably would had a much better offensive output.

Sure thing. Cam almost always had someone over him and had his hands full as did the entire O line but yea, he was all B1G for his downfield blocking. Not. I am not bagging on the kid, he didn't grow up being an interior lineman, he is learning in the fly. If he was knocking down all those LB's and safeties we probably would had a much better offensive output.
That's why I said, "when we have a big play". I understand that didn't happen as often as we would have liked BUT that largely because our guard play was not great..

ADVERTISEMENT