ADVERTISEMENT

Rileys fatal mistakes

Baxter48

Defensive Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010
Gods country
I was one of those who thought coach Riley could make NU more successful. Guess I was wrong, my question is would have it been different if Mike would have hired the best assistants available instead of bringing his buddies for Oregon St? Isn't that a lot of down fall with coaches moving they bring there buddies they do have there fraternity and tend to protect there own

Two biggest mistakes were bringing his OSU guys and the other HUGE mistake was not signing JUCO’s. That was incredibly stupid.

Reactions: dpnavy
I remember when the Diaco hire was praised by fans and media alike..... good times.
The media sold it to the fans. If people would have looked up Diaco’s statistics they would have found out he had average defenses at Notre Dame outside of the one year. The defenses at UConn were also horrid and regressed from the prior regime. Riley would have rather kept Banker. That hire was an Eichorst Devaney special. Anything Eichorst touched went to crap.

I think he really thought he had 2-3 yrs minimum, including this year from SE. That is why they made the move to new D scheme. His fatal mistake was alignment with SE, and Green and team were on a different page. SE firing meant the end for MR. Now Moos can't f up this hire or Neb could become Minn or aTm.

Biggest mistake was not completely purging the cancers from the get go and letting his guys play from day one. Of course he would have been crucified earlier and probably already gone.

Biggest mistake was not completely purging the cancers from the get go and letting his guys play from day one. Of course he would have been crucified earlier and probably already gone.
Good coaches get the players to buy in right away. Riley isn’t a good coach. The first year team Riley had with the so called a Pelini virus would whoop this years team. Riley is in year three and has produced his worst team with the the type of qb he wanted.

I will take a different spin on this. I don't think it was the people so much as it was the overall system he used. It looks to me like he was a drill guy - meaning you work on your technique in drills more than live work. It looks like, and I could be very wrong on this, that they have O linemen working footwork and hand drills with less emphasis on live blocking if that makes sense. When we get in games we can't pick up a blitz or move as a unit when blocking. On D we don't flow like a cohesive unit. To me that goes on the head coach. The assistant coaches are doing what the head guys wants.

I am sure to be in the minority but if I had to point to weak areas - I would start with Riley in overall organization and detail of coaching, Cav, Diaco is a disaster despite the excitement on here when he was hired - so how did that "opening of the check book for assistants" work out?

Langs was pretty handicapped trying to call games with no running game because the line couldn't block my mother. Riley knows he needs to run the ball better but they simply cannot and everything feeds off of that. Riley felt this system worked in the past and if he had better athletes it would work better - again, this is just me guessing which I don't like to do. It is obvious he hasn't changed his coaching and the results in this league are much more difficult to come by than the pass happy Pac 12.

Did RIley do anything right while he was at Nebraska? Anything?

The Michigan State upset was pretty big. First win over a top 10 team in I can't remember how long.

Other than that, a win over the shittiest Oregon team in recent history? Oh and the Calibraska thing was pretty cool while it lasted.

The Michigan State upset was pretty big. First win over a top 10 team in I can't remember how long.

Other than that, a win over the shittiest Oregon team in recent history? Oh and the Calibraska thing was pretty cool while it lasted.
Other ironic part the last time I believe Nebraska beat a top 10 before that was against Michigan State in 2011. It wasn’t as long as you think.

If you are the Man With The Plan, you don't get a free restart on the clock in year three because your plan was failing.

I remember when the Diaco hire was praised by fans and media alike..... good times.
And THAT GUY blew any chance Riley had of keeping his job this year. MAYBE you could say NIU wasn't the D's fault but we let them drive the length of the field for the game winning TD even in that game. The only time Diaco has had success coaching defense was with his mentor at his side. Well, Bobby Elliot died and Dicaco was left all on his own with an entire staff of guys who had never coached the 3-4 ever in their lives. Obviously that didn't work and that IMO was Riley's downfall.. IF BD forced Diaco on Riley he still could have said no. IF it was Riley's idea well then he's gonna harvest the fruit of that decision.

No urgency.

No urgency in hiring his initial staff.
No urgency in roster management.
No urgency in recruiting.
No urgency in installing his systems.
No urgency in calling plays.
No urgency in running plays.
No urgency in tackling.

No urgency.

too many RPOs called which as we all know relieves the coaches of any responsibility for what happens.

And THAT GUY blew any chance Riley had of keeping his job this year. MAYBE you could say NIU wasn't the D's fault but we let them drive the length of the field for the game winning TD even in that game. The only time Diaco has had success coaching defense was with his mentor at his side. Well, Bobby Elliot died and Dicaco was left all on his own with an entire staff of guys who had never coached the 3-4 ever in their lives. Obviously that didn't work and that IMO was Riley's downfall.. IF BD forced Diaco on Riley he still could have said no. IF it was Riley's idea well then he's gonna harvest the fruit of that decision.

Don't blame the victim! #MeToo

ADVERTISEMENT