ADVERTISEMENT

Riley speech at Chamber of Commerce

Husker.Wed.

Athletic Director
Feb 13, 2004
Omaha Metro
It was recorded by KLIN, but when you click on their link it takes you to another Husker website to play the soundcloud, so I can post the KLIN link here, sorry. It is 37 minutes and we have heard a lot of it before. I had some takeaways. If you listen to how he talks about the QBs it sounds like his depth chart is TA, Bush, Darlington, Fyfe or Stanton. He didn't mention Broekemeier. He went over the positions but did not specifically address safety, fullback or DE. I assume fullbacks were included when he talked about backs and DEs when he said he liked the DL. Not sure why he didn't mention the safeties. He gushed about Foltz, but did not mention Brown. He said the two corners OSU sent to the NFL were HS QBs. That made me go hum as far as commit Wilson. Since it was a Chamber meeting, he geared his standard pitch a bit more about the importance of getting really good hires that fit the goals and how hiring people is scary cuz you might not get the right guy. When he talked about taking the job, I inferred that his initial reaction was nah, want to retire in Oregon but his wife thought maybe they should think about it more and he took a second look at it.

As usual, great to have him saying all the right things and working the audience.

Foltz seems to be taking it too another level with ball placement. Was awesome in the spring game. I believe he will pin a lot of teams deep.

Foltz does have a monster leg, his problem was the random shank that hurt at times. If he puts it all together, I don't think there is a better punter in America. It will obviously be a big help as well after Sam pins them deep, we will have an attacking DLine and Def. scheme overall that will focus on shutting down the run game first and foremost when teams are just trying to gain a few yards off their goal line.

Riley says he doesn't know of, or expect any players to transfer. Which certainly leads to a question of how we'll get down to 85 scholarships. If everyone returns, all recruits qualify, and all players stay on scholarship it seems like we're at 88.

I don't know about you guys, but the nice guy routine is already starting to wear on me a little bit. It would be like watching Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood and feeling either like you want to puke at all the nice things he's saying, or similarly punch him in the nose.. not that you actually would do that, nor should you. But yeah, his routine is starting to become annoying just a little bit.

I don't know about you guys, but the nice guy routine is already starting to wear on me a little bit. It would be like watching Mr. Rodgers Neighborhood and feeling either like you want to puke at all the nice things he's saying, or similarly punch him in the nose.. not that you actually would do that, nor should you. But yeah, his routine is starting to become annoying just a little bit.
Do you think it's a routine, as in, shtick? Or are you using the word to describe his personality?

I think it's genuinely who he is. I'm not tired of it, but I'm not listening to every podcast or audio either, which probably helps me to not tire of it.

Do you think it's a routine, as in, shtick? Or are you using the word to describe his personality?

I think it's genuinely who he is. I'm not tired of it, but I'm not listening to every podcast or audio either, which probably helps me to not tire of it.
I think it's genuine.. I do remember reading some comments from some Oregon State fans that said something to the effect that it might shock people when after a loss, he is all smiles at the podium taking questions.

There were times I didn't like TO's lack of emotion either, so I'm not implying I am against the guy, but you're right in that I probably don't need to listen to every audio or press conference of his either.

So - some people thought TO was too unemotional, FS was boring, BC was arrogant, Pelini was a jerk, and now HCMR is too nice. It is probably impossible to find someone whose personality will please everyone, but for now I'm fine with nice.

Personally I find him genuine, hard working, and dedicated to his profession. I'll take that any day, all day.

Hard to believe if coach has Bush ahead of Darlington in QB pecking order

Hard to believe if you only go off the Spring Game. Probably not hard to believe if you've been at every practice like Riley has. Basing that off the feel I get from practice recaps, I don't attend.

Darlington showed out in that game, but you heard about how Bush was "doing some good things" so to speak up until that game. We all tuned in expecting to see Bush throw for 500 yards and 8 TDs and then go to the sideline and turn the Gatorade bucket into wine.

Reactions: gratefulweb
Hard to believe if coach has Bush ahead of Darlington in QB pecking order
Yeah he must not read the board how can fyfe and stanton be last? Everyone knows posters from the nebraska rivals board has locked them in as starters.

Go watch Youtube videos of him speaking in HS pre concussion, and post concussion. Like I said, he is cleared, but you have to be scared for the kid. He has taken some major head blows and those things don't just magically go away. I doubt he would be a vegetable, but you can already see what hits to the head have done to this kid, and you hope if he does take a head blow it doesn't mess him up real bad.

ADVERTISEMENT