ADVERTISEMENT

Riley just said more commits coming....

syAC_kcy_bigger.jpg
Brian Towle @BrianRTowle

Wait.... Nebraska has 7 known commits.. so 2 silents and now a third coming? just thought of this.

7:50 PM - 20 Apr 2017

The thing he said that surprised me was that they're only looking to take one OLB in this class. I thought they didn't have a good candidate among current players for the OLB spot opposite the side Newby and Gifford play on.

I believe Alex Davis is running with the 1s there, but sounds like he's not the ideal fit there. They must have confidence in Guy Thomas and other young players there.

It was rumored that Avery and Goodrich committed, so that would explain the 2. The third I don't know who it might be, haven't had much time to pay attention. Maybe Moore?

This is very cool. Finally Nebraska catching up with the other blue bloods in recruiting. Now, if they were pulling in a few 5 stars. But you can see that the word is getting around that you better commit early or there won't be a spot for you. Badass.

Bad part about getting kids to commit this early is keeping them. Some commit early knowing they have a spot then bail when that other offer they have always wanted comes in. I sure hope that doesnt happen but I have to expect it with a few.

Bad part about getting kids to commit this early is keeping them. Some commit early knowing they have a spot then bail when that other offer they have always wanted comes in. I sure hope that doesnt happen but I have to expect it with a few.
Yeah, but you expect to receive the same, so no reason not to be excited.

Plus, early high ranked commits can spark more to commit, so the side benefits are still positive either way.

I agree with that North. One thing that would be hard to do as a coach is say if you get your 15 guys by September. Then you plan on say 5 of those guys decommitting later in the process. How do you keep other big fish on the hook just in case those 5 guys take off?

I think Bleich is the new one, and Goodrich is one of the two silent commits. Everyone was falling all over each other to say Goodrich was going to announce seriously any day now (after he got his dad's blessing). That's friggin' awesome, as I believe he projects to either WR or CB, depending on the need and his decision.

To add to that, Pickering (kicker) and I would say Grahm Roberts are the others that I feel very, very good about. I'm not sure about Moore and Avery yet, though of the two, Avery to me is the must-get. That guy is literally a perfectly designed Nose Tackle. In 2 or 3 years, he'll be a wrecking ball owning offensive lines.

Anyone else have any other leads? Also, what happened with our projected 18 signees? Why are we down to 15 now?

I also agree with Cloud_a_Heart, too; if we sign 15 or 16 kids and wind up with a barely-top 25 ranking, that's completely ok if the level of quality is a very, very generous mix of 4 star talent. That's really all we need! GBR!

Overall team rank means nothing when you are only signing 15. What matters is the quality of those 15. It really stinks that we can only take 15 in a year when our recruiting seems to be in total overdrive. Hopefully some non contributors can be eased out the door

Yep! However, if it means we're now reaching a new echelon of recruiting for this program, so be it. That just means we'll have a kick-ass 2019 class!

It is also true that we want to get everyone locked in early and get settled, because this is going to be a very challenging "growth" year for the program as we start to play with a new QB(s) and a new defensive scheme. We're going to take a few beatings and have some losses, but the point is to grow and get stronger, and trend the program ever higher.

To dominate the west and start to challenge Ohio State and Michigan regularly in the east is going to require that we keep going at this super hard. We can do it, probably better than Wisconsin can do it, but we have to keep up the momentum and not be afraid of taking our licks along the way.

I thought it was anywhere between 15-18. Hopefully Goodrich announces this weekend. Would be a huge start to the weekend and fill up yet another spot. To Dudz point, I also think it is incredibly crucial that we go all out for Avery. I continue to believe that our way to Top 10 will be through our defense.

Also, I'm curious as to why Grahm Roberts hasn't committed yet. Makes me wonder if we are recruiting another RB prospect—especially because we aren't signing 20+ for 2018.

Reactions: DudznSudz
Overall team rank means nothing when you are only signing 15. What matters is the quality of those 15. It really stinks that we can only take 15 in a year when our recruiting seems to be in total overdrive. Hopefully some non contributors can be eased out the door
I really don't understand why scholarship athletes can't be held to some kind of measurable performance standard or criteria in order to have their scholarships renewed. Everyone preaches "competition", but guaranteed scholarships seem to run counter to that premise.

I really don't understand why scholarship athletes can't be held to some kind of measurable performance standard or criteria in order to have their scholarships renewed. Everyone preaches "competition", but guaranteed scholarships seem to run counter to that premise.
Shouldn't coaches have to give up remaining years/salary if fired as well to ensure its equitable for both players and coaches? Some coaches already use this strategy of "processing" non-contributors but the schools like Bama can afford to be picky.

Yeah, but it is hard to not provide a scholarship to someone who is giving it all, and just not cracking the top units because they are getting out performed. If people aren't making it because they are not putting forth the effort then I agree they don't deserves the scholarship.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Yeah, but it is hard to not provide a scholarship to someone who is giving it all, and just not cracking the top units because they are getting out performed. If people aren't making it because they are not putting forth the effort then I agree they don't deserves the scholarship.
I agree. I was thinking more of having some kind of metrics in place to measure performance increases in training, position grading scores, etc. to kind of measure their individual performance/effort independently. Like you said, a player can bring value to the team without cracking the top units.

If we fill 15 by fall and then maybe 3 guys decide to move on after fall camp so HCMR has only 3 to fill before December, it will certainly be vastly different this fall than from lots of years before. I'm not sure I can handle NU not scrambling all season to fill up a class.

Looking at the scholarship distribution chart, who isn't pulling their weight in the sophomore and junior classes that could be ushered along after this season?

Juniors... P Newell or S King?
Sophomores... C Gaylord?

I don't really see any at this point, but we will know a lot more towards the end of this season about those two classes.

I think Darlington might be a candidate to move on. He is a smart kid, will have his degree and may want to get on with life after football.

Can we use the Alabama model and cut the fat every year to get us to 25 a class ?Of course they do have some actual talent attrition which would be great if Nebraska had that problem

I still think we end up with a class around 20. Which would really help balance out the classes.

Looking at the scholarship distribution chart, who isn't pulling their weight in the sophomore and junior classes that could be ushered along after this season?

Juniors... P Newell or S King?
Sophomores... C Gaylord?

I don't really see any at this point, but we will know a lot more towards the end of this season about those two classes.

These three and Darlington as already mentioned. Also, it would be nice to be proven wrong but I'm concerned Matt Snyder and Daishon Neal may never be contributors. Hopefully all of these guys end up having a great year this year and this is a moot point though.

Reactions: TwinsRRUs
ADVERTISEMENT